• Advertisement

Clappy vs Billboard Hot 100

Clappy

Aye, Claps, yes too harsh... first off, yes I DO think this is a funny song, but not deserving to be a massive hit. Now shall we blame the song itself for it's success? IDK if you know, but this is actually a commercial/promo video in the first place, promoting the new season of that guy's show, and it just spread like salmonella on the web so they gave people what they wanted, released it as a song and well, you know the rest. If it were you, who made a joke song INTENDED to be stupid, yet people go crazy for it, wouldn't you take the advantage of cashing on it a little? I don't think it's the song to blame, but people's weak musical taste. And yah, it's a joke song, it's supposed to be taken as it is, a joke. Also I think that they're actually trying to guess WHAT is it that the fox says, which is why he makes different noises lol so yah, I personally have nothing against it and I think the video is ridiculous on purpose and I find it funny but I'll give you that it isn't THAT hysterical. 

Aye, Claps, yes too harsh... first off, yes I DO think this is a funny song, but not deserving to be a massive hit. Now shall we blame the song itself for it's success? IDK if you know, but this is actually a commercial/promo video in the first place, promoting the new season of that guy's show, and it just spread like salmonella on the web so they gave people what they wanted, released it as a song and well, you know the rest. If it were you, who made a joke song INTENDED to be stupid, yet people go crazy for it, wouldn't you take the advantage of cashing on it a little? I don't think it's the song to blame, but people's weak musical taste. And yah, it's a joke song, it's supposed to be taken as it is, a joke. Also I think that they're actually trying to guess WHAT is it that the fox says, which is why he makes different noises lol so yah, I personally have nothing against it and I think the video is ridiculous on purpose and I find it funny but I'll give you that it isn't THAT hysterical.

Just cuz it's not meant to be taken seriously that doesn't mean it's automatically funny
  • Like 1

Just cuz it's not meant to be taken seriously that doesn't mean it's automatically funny

And in this case, it is not.

WDTFS? Is an annoying, unapologetic piece of donkey doo-doo that it should never be listened to anyone on the face of the earth.

EVER.

Appreciate the feedback Jells and I respect your points but...

...Sex is right on my opinion of this. I get it's not meant to be taken seriously. Still doesn't make it funny. I knew of the origins behind it and should have made that clear in my review. But once again, I just thought this was definitely not funny.

Well this is going to possibly be the final update of 2013.  I am actually considering making a new blogspot where I'll review movies and music since I enjoy doing both of these equally as much.  More info will come in due time.  I might make a SBC appearance before 2013 is over to hype the new blogspot if I follow through.  

But anyway, as Wumbo has pointed out, I haven't done my Top 10 Best of 1999 yet.  Well since I'm trying to get some of my writings done before I embark on another break, I'm going to do a shortened condensed version of this list.  I'll list my Top 10.  Have a few sentences to say.  I won't post the music videos.  If you guys want to watch them bad enough, you can find them on YouTube or iTunes. :P

Anyway without further ado:

CLAPPY'S SHORTENED VERSION OF HIS TOP 10 BEST HIT SONGS OF 1999

10. "Kiss Me" - Sixpence None The Richer

For as much crap as I give boring love songs, this one is actually somewhat interesting.  It is one of the few songs on my work soundtrack that doesn't make me want to bang my head in.  I also like how it is a slow buildup to a first kiss, not meaningless sex.  It's touching.  It may be corny, but I wish I heard more songs like this.

9. "Take Me There" - Blackstreet (featuring Mya, Mase, and Blinky Blink)

I mean come on.  These people sampled the Rugrats theme music and made a decent pop/rap song for The Rugrats Movie soundtrack.  How could you not call this song a massive guilty pleasure?

8. "Back 2 Good" - Matchbox Twenty

One of my personal favorite Matchbox Twenty songs.  While I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of Matchbox Twenty, I definitely respect this song and consider this one of their shining gems.

7. "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)" - Jay-Z

Not one of Jay-Z's best songs but it is up there on his better songs list.  It just goes to show how good of a career Jay-Z has had over the past two decades.  Also, if I was writing a longer summary of my enjoyment of this, I would share the Austin Powers Goldmember clip of Dr. Evil and Mini-Me rapping this.

6. "Amazed" - Lonestar

I've said some pretty harsh things about country music on here, but I use to be a fan of the genre a very long time ago.  This song is incredibly good and it still amazes me today.  I still remember this being one of the first actual concerts I went to with my folks and I still know all the words by heart today.

5. "Jumper" - Third Eye Blind

Speaking of songs I know all the words too.  "I WISH YOU WOULD STEP BACK FROM THAT LEDGE MY FRIEND"  Just those few first words can pull me into the song immediately.  Sure it's massively cheesy for a sentimental song like this, but you know what, I don't care, I love it.

4. "Fly Away" - Lenny Kravitz

Ironically enough, Todd in the Shadows was the one who pointed this out that Lenny Kravitz was an artist who was better pretending to be other people than himself.  Maybe that's why I have a love-hate relationship with his music.  This is easily my favorite Lenny Kravitz song and made me wish he would stay permanently in funk rock.  His voice is perfect for the genre.

3. "Heartbreaker" - Mariah Carey (featuring Jay-Z)

You know Beyonce.  You should take a page from Mariah Carey's playbook because this song right here is a massive F.U. song to the male genre and you know what....I actually really love this.  Maybe it's because I consider Mariah Carey one of my massive guilty pleasure artists.  Now hopefully Ariana Grande helps fill my current void missing for powerhouse voice pop/R&B divas.  Btw the music video is corny as hell.

2. "Scar Tissue" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

My favorite Red Hot Chili Peppers song.  Hands down.  Everything about this song is perfect.  I can't sing it's praises enough...but if not that, what is my number one song?  Well I think you guys might notice the words "guilty pleasure" being used a lot in my Top 10 list this year.  1999 had a lot of guilty pleasure music, but my number one song is easily my biggest guilty pleasure probably not only from this year, but any year.

1. "All-Star" - Smash Mouth

I'm not spoiler tagging the music video.  You know why?  SO MUCH TO DO SO MUCH TO SEE.  If you hate this song, you are probably dead on the inside.  There are problems with this song probably, but I'm too blinded by the insane catchiness to nitpick.  ALL THAT GLITTERS IS GOLD, ONLY SHOOTING STARS BREAK THE MOLD.  This song is easily a shooting star breaking the mold of all guilty pleasures before it.  

• Like 4

Nice list.

Spoiler

But where is Goo Goo Dolls "Iris"?

Ah "Iris". Another guilty pleasure even though I don't really care for Goo Goo Dolls. Just like "Hit Me Baby One More Time" and "Genie in a Bottle", a good guilty pleasure song. However, all three are just on the outside looking in.

10. Never heard

9. Never heard

8. Never heard

7. One of my favorite Jay-Z songs

6. I like this one, but I don't love it

5. OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS SONG

4. Read #5

3. Meh

2. I really like this song, too

1. A big guilty pleasure of mine tbh

Since I won't have that new installment of The Walking Community ready yet, allow me to do a make up present instead by reviewing probably my least favorite song in The Top 10 of Billboard right now.  I think most of you who saw that Elastic/Sex/Clappy discussion in the Imagine Dragons thread knows what it is:

Imagine Dragons - "Demons"

Spoiler

You know this is sad.  Like I said in the aforementioned thread, I love Imagine Dragons.  Sure they are getting tons of overplay, but at least the songs aren't horrendous or anything (well to me at least).  It's Time is a good song and I think Radioactive is pretty great.  Radioactive might be on my Top 10 Best list of 2013 in the next week or so, still need to finalize that and my worst list.

Now as for Demons, I can think of one word that summarizes this song and it's a word that can be used for most music and movies and just EVERYTHING entertainment related this year.

3410197-boring.jpg

Seriously.  This song just drags on and on and on.  They couldn't have picked a more boring musical arrangement to go with an even more boring song.  Now how about those lyrics?

When the days are cold
And the cards all fold
And the saints we see
Are all made of gold

When your dreams all fail
And the ones we hail
Are the worst of all
And the blood’s run stale

I'm sorry did a kindergartner write this rhyme scheme?  This is way too cheesy and corny of a rhyme scheme for a song about "inner demons".  Ok now how about those "demons"?

When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It’s where my demons hide
Don’t get too close
It’s dark inside

...I'm sorry again, what exactly are your demons Dan Reynolds, lead singer of Imagine Dragons?  He never explains them.

Just this whole song in general, the lyrics come off as depressing and lame.  I get that this is suppose to be depressing, but it just does an awful job trying to make us feel anything expect boredom.  I mentioned in that previous thread that this kind of reminds me of the same crap we got years ago from The Fray, Lifehouse, Daughtry, and other pop-rock bands years back.  This was also the same shit we would get in front of chick flicks and adult dramas like Grey's Anatomy.  So with that being said, to me this comes off as Imagine Dragons trying to sell out their artistic integrity to have crossover appeal.  That wouldn't bother me too much if they didn't come off with such a lame half-assed song.  

Psh, Demons.  I don't picture Demons.  I picture myself hitting fast forward to "Top of the World" on their cd.  Which is honestly what I've done with that Night Visions cd ever since I bought it nearly a year ago.  This song has always sucked and this song still sucks today.  There is nothing I hate more than boringly bad songs.  I like to feel something when I listen to music.  I can listen to Miley Cyrus's "We Can't Stop" and feel disgusted with how lame it is.  When I listen to "Wrecking Ball", I feel bored out of my mind wanting to change the station from this poorly written ballad.  I think you can guys can picture which end of the Miley Cyrus comparison spectrum this Imagine Dragons song ends up in.  So in conclusion, please Imagine Dragons.  Go back to making interesting songs about the nuclear apocalypse or about never changing who you are or being on top of the world HEY.  Not selling out your artistic integrity.  That's probably where your demons hide and I hate it.

• Like 3

Yeah I'm sorry, in a world where "Say Something" is in the Top 10, no other song is the most boring.

I don't blame ya. Say Something is a very close second to me for worst song in the Top 10, but at least I don't really expect much from either A Great Big World (see even their name is boring) or Christina "I've Stopped Trying Years Ago" Aguilera. Imagine Dragons disappointed me badly with Demons which is why I place said label on them.

Even though I probably won't have my Top 10 Worst Songs of 2013 ready, tonight (more like tomorrow night) I want to update this review thread with another song review.  So go ahead charts.  Give me anything from the Top 10.  Go ahead.  Let's prove that 2014 will be a huge year and an improvement from 2013 where we had too much EDM and too many boring ballads....

A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera - "Say Something"

Spoiler

Bored_Face_by_Krasus.jpg

Oh come on.  Is this dreck really going to carry into 2014?  I'm so sick of this shit.  All of these boring adult contemporary ballads contain the same damn thing:

-Piano accompanyment?  Check.

-Unchallenging vocal arrangement?  Check.

-Generic song topic?  It's giving up on a lover. Check.

This song does absolutely nothing for me except bore me to tears.  Even the band name should let you guys know how uninteresting they are.  A Great Big World?  More like A Great Big Bore.  

Oh and don't even get me started on Christina Aguilera's fall into near irrelevancy.  I don't care if she is a seasonal judge on one of the biggest shows on television.  Cee Lo Green is a judge and he has done absolutely nothing since 2011 except give a girl some "date rape drugs".  Enjoy prison by the way Cee Lo.  But yeah, being a judge has done absolutely nothing for Christina.  All she has done for the music industry since then is create two massive flop albums, guest voice on a Maroon 5 and Pitbull song, and give us a few GIFs I haven't seen Dylan use in awhile like this one:

222.gif

As for the song itself, it's not even worth wasting a breath about.  The protagonist wants his/her lover to prove that he/she still loves him/her or else it's over.  Blah blah blah.  How many times have we heard this song before?  Far too many.  I'm just sick of this kind of music.  We've been getting it way too much over the past year that it's worn out it's welcome more so than EDM has.  At least some of these songs have taken risks.  This song is just way too safe for it's own good.  How in the hell is this in the Top 5?  Are we really that stuck in a rut people?  We can do something about this you know.  BUY INTERESTING MUSIC OFF ITUNES.  WATCH INTERESTING MUSIC VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE.

If Billboard is giving us input into how the charts can shape up, use it for good.  I'm so sick of this shit getting air wave time.  Fuck this song.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.

Oh you don't have to give up on me song.  I've given up on you weeks ago.

• Like 1