• Advertisement

Spin-Off/Lit Reviews!

Blackout

Storm Racers - The Dragon's Mouth: B+

Despite a small drop in quality from the other S2 episodes, the episode still manages to impress me with some of the action sequences and Master Tow''s sacrifice.

• Like 1

Who Will Take Jelly? - C

The C is for Clappy. After making me finish as runner up last season, you kick me off at around the half way point this season? I was destined to make it further than this. I should take this show hostage until my reinstatement because I would never sacrifice myself for elimination. Never. :P

In all seriousness though, I give this episode an A+. You want to know why this is probably my favorite spin-off? Because, like all Steel works, a lot of time and effort is put into giving everyone their own character development, the challenges are well thought out, and the plot is fully developed. Look no further than this recent episode for all three reasons I listed above. Plus I am a huge sucker for Survivor/TDI/etc. parodies.

While I was told to write this review as a request from our Admiral, I highly recommend that everyone who has not taken a glance at this series to give it a read. It is one of the best current spin-offs and if I would compose my own personal Top 10 spin-offs from both the tv.com era and the SBC era, I would place this one in my Top 10...maybe even my Top 5. It's that good.

Storm Racers Season 2.0 Review

Storylines: The storylines so far in Season 2 have been spectacular. Yes there is a lot to keep up with, but its all very interesting. From day one I have loved the concept of the show and in Season 2, that still continues. I have liked all the surprise elements and loose ends and I hope this continues in Season 2.5 as well.

Characters: In Season 1, the show struggled a bit with character development. There have been major improvements with this in Season 2. This season also introduced new and interesting personalities. One in particular that I like is Kuri.

Grammar: No problems in this area.

Length: The episode always have a lot of meat, which is good as well. There might be an occasional shorter one, but for the most part, there's no problem with length.

Overall, Season 2 has been good thus far and I expect the show to keep growing as it approaches its third season.

Grade: A

• Like 1

Storm Racers

The Shadow Zone - A+

That was really, really good :D . Interesting discovery about Darsun. Overall, the whole idea of an opposite zone worlds is intriguing and was done well.

Storm Racers - Hunt for the Magmagrox: A

Awesome episode. I liked the Magmagrox and the hunt for it lead to some pretty interesting scenes. Can't wait for more!

• Like 1

Here's my review for the first episode of the fan-fic called "Island" (no relation to my fan-fic of "Total Cartoon Island/Action!") The premise for the series is pretty good, getting stranded somewhere, having no idea how they got there; and suddenly gaining powers is a pretty good plot. However, the fan-fic loses points for the constant swearing in the fan-fic. I know the fan-fic IS rated mature, but it still seems a bit much. Overall score: 7/10! / Also, I would appreciate reviews for my literature of "Total Drama: Heroes Vs. Villains." :D

Island

First, let me just say that this is a great Lit, because nearly everything about it is flawless. The characters, the setting, and just the concept all work incredibly well. But, onto the review.

Plot:This truly is flawless. With a concept similar to Lost but with the added allure of each character having superpowers, the show keeps itself interesting with the plot developments it has, like Jay going into the forest and such. This is a great concept, gets a 10/10.

Characters: The show excels here as well, probably because each user was able to pick and choose their personality. But, even so, the characters bounce and play off of each other well (gotta love how much of a ham Lou Scannon is :P). The only problem I have is that some characters are not fully developed, like Mandy or Dick Stevens (although I do love how much of a perv Dick is :P), but the show is only three episodes in, so that's to be expected. 9/10.

Writing: While still good, this area could use some work. While the descriptions do work for what they are, the writing could stand to be a bit more descriptive in terms of action and describing the scenery. Aside from that, the dialogue is fantastic and funny, and the actual writing of the plot is pretty awesome and keeps me wanting to read more. The grammar is also pretty spot-on. While it may turn some off, I get a kick out of the blatant vulgarity and constant swearing that characters like Lou and Dick employ all the time. :P 8/10

And the story is of a reasonable length too. It's not too long but not too short either. All in all, the story is hilarious, gripping, and has good action and is all around a good lit, one of the best I've read in a long while. Great work. 9/10. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

• Like 4

Storm Racers- Season 2

Very nice Spin-Off. I tried to write this in my usual format, but it flows better this way, so here we go. The second season of Storm Racers is awesome. It started out with some bugs that were apparent in Season 1, but as the Season continued, these bugs were worked out (like the awkward use of some tenses and a bit of vagueness in descriptions). The characters are as likable as ever, with believable personalities (for some reason I like Nathan and Zelleo a whole lot). The Undersea Force as a team is incredibly awesome and I like how they play off of each other.

The plotlines are also awesome. The concepts for each episode are great, and I especially loved the Season Premiere two-parter, it was epic. The writing is also spectacular. I like the action scenes, they are good and descriptive. I would complain about how there isn't always enough detail in the descriptions of scenery and stuff (like in the openings where you say "The Undersea Force was yaddayaddayadda" are amusing and to the point) but Storm Racers doesn't seem like the type of show to slow down for that type of thing, if you know what I mean. :P

I appreciate how the show will slow down and do some more comical episodes at times, and I especially love the pacing. It's slow enough to be not rushed, but fast enough to be gripping/interesting. The only flaw is that the episodes are a little long in the tooth, but that's alright for now, since it helps the pacing a lot. Otherwise, Storm Racers is a great spin-off that I'm glad to see is still running. Great action, characters and plot make up one spectacular spin-off, and I can't wait to see what's next for the show. 9/10 from me.

also darsun whoo

• Like 1

Dimension Hopper Pants

This spin-off is funny, well-written, and an all-around enjoyable read. The concept is original, and the characters are mostly faithful to their original personalities. SpongeBob and Patrick are a bit OOC, but it's justified by their situations instead of just being random and unexplainable. The storylines are creative, and the latest episode in particular was an innovative turn for the show that worked out extremely well. The series has a perfect mix of drama, comedy, and adventure, and even though it's only four episodes in, it's already managed to distinguish itself as one of the best spin-offs of the year. 10/10

• Like 1

Flea on Dog With a Blog's final episode was an emotionally gripping conclusion to a series that captivated viewers for literally two months now. The seemingly simple structure of the episode's writing symbolizes Martin Flea's internal conflict and gives the audience a sense of his feeling of hopelessness. Martin himself is one of the most tragic characters of modern forum-based fiction, distressed by both his physical and figurative smallness and well aware that there is little he can do about either.

Flea on Dog With a Blog is series that, despite the core tragedy, is funny and surprisingly heartwarming. With its story now complete, I, like many others, will be sad to see it go but grateful that we were able to tag along for the ride.

• Like 7

Patrick's Big Break (all) A-

This is a REALLY good spin-off and is my favorite right next to the SBC Survivor series. So many creative characters. The idea of the spin-off sounds recycled at first, but BOY will you stand corrected when you read a few episode.

• Like 1

The Steel Sponge Reviews Show

Slippery Smooth

Plot: The plot was pretty much simple. You take Post Fiction's dark storytelling, Killer Krab's plotline, but with a few adjustments, and of course, Blue's Clues, which gives us this show. So yeah, the plot and stuff was really dark and suspenseful, just like Killer Krab. Yeah, nothing much here to say, except that it was the Blue's Clues version of Killer Krab, but with different...stuff? (B+)

Characters: Very good characterization, shaping up Slippery's shock/horror, hopefulness, and bravery excellently. What surprises me the most is how you manage Steve has his own optimistic whimsical self throughout the whole thing. It's even pretty sad to see the beloved objects die like that. And of courses, the freaky clone twist gets me. (A)

Writing: Very good writing my man. Nothing too long, can be funny at times, while being practically horrendous and tearjerking at the same time. I didn't cry, but it was still touching in ways. The last episode really gets me though, the twist, the ending note, the misfortune...yeah, but I wouldn't say it was the most incredibly awesome form of writing I've ever seen, but it was still solid. So yeah, the story itself eludes me, even to the fact that it's Blue's Clue and such. (A)

So yeah, OMJ's Lit gets itself an A.

• Like 1