• Advertisement

Spin-Off/Lit Reviews!

Blackout

Well, time for a revival with a random review from Steel Sponge.

Caption (Take a Picture): 4 out of 5 stars (Using this system so I won't be noted how incorrect my grading logic would be)

Well let's see, today I will review CTaP. It will probably be in-between quick and lengthy. Yeah, uh...here I go.

Format: What can I say? The format is very decent as usual, though I'm kind of annoying with some of the blank spaces, but it probably has to do with the atmosphere and/or counts are "breathing time." That's how I view it.

Plot: Let's see, so the spin-off is about a bunch of crime going around in Bikini Bottom and there's a group of detectives (I think) that come to the crime scenes and such and Victoria Perry goes into a breakdown after learning some bad news about her father. I don't know a lot about the plot to be quite honest, sometimes I speed read, or get some big words twisted in my mind. I have to say, I thought this would be one of those spin-offs where the drama doesn't take its time to breathe, but there's breaks, pretty much. In addition, the dark feel in the spin-off makes it truly worth reading, well...unless anything gets boring. Just saying. There's a few flaws though. Not to sound annoying about this one blurb, but Caption looks like a lit and it feels like a spin-off...and maybe a lit too. I have to say, you're pretty smart for putting that traditional Bikini Bottom location and fish population all together. But do whatever floats your boat. This is pretty much that drama is your main genre skill, I can see it.

Characters: This will probably come out short. The characters don't seem very annoying at all, most of them are very wonderful. To summarize, Victoria is the emotional one and the main character, very acceptable. Barnett is one the side characters, pretty good, Bill Riley seemed like one of the most helpful characters in the spin-off, and the rest are fine. For the few minor villains from the previous episode, they're okay, but pretty confusing in my views, speed reading doesn't gather the most accurate information though. Another thing, whoever was the guy who was trying to rape Victoria, kind of felt unnecessary, but if vulgarity adds to the mature theme and the drama, eh...

Grammar: Short and simple explanation. You've outdone yourself, the grammar you use will always be lively, and there's nothing really negative about it.

Overall Verdict: This is really good so far, I'd probably read the next episode (depending how lazy I am). So yeah, I wanted to review something, and this spin-off was a little test. Overall, I like it so far, one of your finest, tvguy, but I would still question if it will have the same fate as your other short-lived spin-offs. On an additional note, Down Under is a better reccommendation IMO.

I can take requests. If your spin-offs show those annoying symbols, fix them and it will be read and reviewed. But I won't review that often.

Storm Racers

13. The New Recruit - B+

Kane is an interesting new character. I can't wait to see what he brings in to the canvas and more of his back story.

This is gonna be a slightly informal review, but i wanted to get in on the reviewing as quickly as I could. I don't have the time to read through and catch up on everyone's spin-off, but I read a few episodes of "Adventures in the Underground City" "Storm Racers" and "The Adventures of Tom and Lou".

Storm Racers: Solid premise. I've seen it done in series, but at this point it's not a cliche as much as it is a jumping-off point, and this goes to some interesting places. I'd like more characterization though.

Adventures in the Underground City: I read the Pilot in full and enjoyed it, and then some of the newer episodes, and I have to say that this show has evolved more than most I've seen. This is a good thing, you want change, you want development. But you don't want to get too far away from where you began.

The Adventures of Tom and Lou: I didn't read enough of this to give it a fair evaluation, but it sounds like you have some great, really funny ideas.

Adventures in the Underground City: I read the Pilot in full and enjoyed it, and then some of the newer episodes, and I have to say that this show has evolved more than most I've seen. This is a good thing, you want change, you want development. But you don't want to get too far away from where you began.

Thanks for your review Pandamoo! I really appreciate it, I'm glad you enjoy my stories and I'm also glad that I have another fan :)

This is gonna be a slightly informal review, but i wanted to get in on the reviewing as quickly as I could. I don't have the time to read through and catch up on everyone's spin-off, but I read a few episodes of "Adventures in the Underground City" "Storm Racers" and "The Adventures of Tom and Lou".

Storm Racers: Solid premise. I've seen it done in series, but at this point it's not a cliche as much as it is a jumping-off point, and this goes to some interesting places. I'd like more characterization though.

The Adventures of Tom and Lou: I didn't read enough of this to give it a fair evaluation, but it sounds like you have some great, really funny ideas.

Thank you very much for your review :)

Plankton: Across the Seven Seas Review

Overall Grade: B

Plot: What started out as a standard "Plankton-tries-to-run-the-Krusty-Krab-out-of-business" plot line turned into something a lot more exciting with an army of robot Mr. Krabs running around! I love that Plankton transformed by the end, but kind of confused by the ending of Plankton deciding to ruin the Krusty Krab. I also didn't understand Spongebob and Mr. Krabs (the real one) and their plot lines. Are they going to be part of the show? Either way, I think the show has potential, even though I don't understand the title! B-

Format: It was fine for me. The style is really true to the show. A

Character: Plankton and Karen are well drawn, but the supporting cast you've thrown in doesn't really have character. Although I did love that scene between Krabs and Spongebob in front of the Krusty Krabs, so I guess it's all good! B+

Setting: Since it takes place in Bikini Bottom, I know it! I didn't mind the lack of description. B

Dialogue: The weed references and the "screwing with me" and the "haters gonna hate" lines felt very out of place. C+

Overall: It's got potential, but needs fine tuning. Solid pilot.

The Weird Adventures of Spongebob Review

Overall Grade:B

Plot: There wasn't much of a plot, just a story. No problems were faced that could be overcome, but the concept of Gary throwing wild parties is intriguing. C-

Format: Felt like you mixed script and prose formats. You should choose one! B-

Character: The characters were fine, with some interesting twists. I like how Spongebob is the same as ever and Gary and Patrick had a twist. A-

Setting: Didn't need anything except the good old pineapple in this one! A

Dialogue: I feel like you could have used some snappy one-liners. B

Overall: Will these series be an anthology or a continuing plot about Gary and Patrick partying? I'm interested to find out. It has some bugs you need to work out, and I wish you the best of luck!

Spongebob's Host Review

Overall: Wonderful, if short. A-

Plot: Spongebob questioning his sexuality?! It's timely, it's believable, and it's well written, so it fits. A

Characters: Everyone was in character within the world you've created. A

Dialogue: There wasn't much of it, but there didn't need to be. We could have used a little more though. A-

Format: I guess this is where I would talk about the length of the episode. I'd like to see more in each installment. B+

Overall: I'm hooked on Spongebob's Host. Great work!

The Weird Adventures of Spongebob Review

Overall: B

Plot: I like the plot of Squidward and Mr. Krabs fighting because Squidward doesn't make enough money. It seems real! However, the second part with Plankton dragged it down for me. C+

Characters: Everyone seems pretty in character. I love Gary's sassy side. A-

Setting: Nothing wrong here. A-

Format: It's an improvement from Episode One, but it's still a little confusing. B

Dialogue: The dialogue was fine. A-

Thanks for your reviews.I will try to take your advice.Im thinking of 3 seasons with 20 episodes each if all goes well.Sorry about the Plankton moment I just..felt like it.Anyway the squidward and Mr Krabs fight sets off a event that works for the big plot working around the episodes.What is that you ask?Youll see some one shot characters return.I have a idea for 2 filler episodes after Barnacles but then the main plot takes alot over.

Thanks for the review, Panda. It's really helpful. :)

Plot: What started out as a standard "Plankton-tries-to-run-the-Krusty-Krab-out-of-business" plot line turned into something a lot more exciting with an army of robot Mr. Krabs running around! I love that Plankton transformed by the end, but kind of confused by the ending of Plankton deciding to ruin the Krusty Krab. I also didn't understand Spongebob and Mr. Krabs (the real one) and their plot lines. Are they going to be part of the show? Either way, I think the show has potential, even though I don't understand the title! B-

Plankton doesn't decide to ruin the Krusty Krab at the end of the pilot. He decides to stop Imitation Krabs' plan, which is to send his robots pillaging and plundering across the seven seas, hence the title. Sorry if that wasn't made clear. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs won't appear again until the finale, and they were just in the pilot as part of the aftermath of the Krusty Krab's "end".

Dialogue: The weed references and the "screwing with me" and the "haters gonna hate" lines felt very out of place. C+

That was just a bad attempt to be edgy. You won't be seeing that anymore.

Overall, good review. I'll try to take it into account when I write the new episodes. If you haven't see the last two episodes yet, I hope you can so I can know if it's at least improving.

My official Storm Racers review.

Format: I love the writing format. Its the most difficult to work with and you do what it do. The episodes are fairly long and you do a fair job at describing scenes. B+

Plot: I LOVE the plot. The idea of Zones. Just maybe focus on themes dealing with Universe (possible destruction), as a small idea/suggestion. The plot (whole show really) reminds me of Pisces Moon. And PM is a really amazing show, so that's a compliment. A+

Characters: I do like the character, but perhaps they should be a bit more two dimensional. Like show more emotion, conflict, and insecurities within them. Also, have the characters interact a bit more. Just generally more conflict. I love your villains. There's always a surprise element with them. B

Episodes: The episodes are really good.Cliffhangers always leaves me wanting more, and this show accomplishes that. The action is always good, but I would like to see more of what the boatmobiles (Splitsvire, etc) can do. A

Grammar: No flaws here. The grammar is always exceptional. A+

Overall Verdict: A very good show, with a GCA worthy storyline, action, and writing. Just Characters Development is really the main flaw.

This was suppose to be posted yesterday, but I had some real life stuff I had to deal with. Apologies for the delay.

TEAM SPONGEBOB OVERALL REVIEW

Emphasis on the word "overall" because that is kinda important to the final grade.

Where do I start. When I first came back to SBC, I was excited by returning to the spin-off section. Even during the darkest hours of tv.com, spin-offs were one of the few things I was still passionate about. Any who, I was reading up on a couple spin-offs, then I came to a user I was not familiar with at the time. His name was teenj12. I read his spin-off and right away something was glaring obvious. To me, it felt like I was reading Avatar: The Last Airbender substituted with SpongeBob characters. Not only that, but there were mechanical errors that just stood out and the characters were just there. To have a cohesive spin-off, the characters need to be more dimensional, otherwise they just come off as flat and serving no purpose. I noticed all the negative reviews for Team SpongeBob and hopefully teenj caught on after that.

Then it took a while for Team SpongeBob to find its own “swing” so to speak. Season 2, the series started to feel less like Avatar, but it was still lacking its own identity. I mean The Mud Man? Of all the villains lacking character depth, this was a perfect example. He felt like he was just there for SpongeBob and friends to vanquish. This continued into Season 3 as a show without an exact identity of what it was. I stopped reading afterwards after falling out of the whole spin-off scene for a while.

Now before I continue, let me talk about another spin-off that had the same problem for a while: Mermaid Man: The Brave and The Bold. It took Jjs until more than halfway through Season 3 and a couple negative reviews until Mermaid Man found its own identity and became probably Jjs’s best spin-off.

Then I decided to do this whole review a spin-off a week thing. I was trying to think of the first ideal candidate, so I came into mind with Team SpongeBob since it was one of the spin-offs that has been around for about a year and a half or so. To be a fair and honest reviewer, I continue to read Team SpongeBob where I left off starting at Season 4. A few episodes into Season 4, I noticed something. There was a cohesive plot that was set in stone every episode and much more effort being put into it. I spent a good two hours reading the next three seasons into where teenj has left off. The improvement this spin-off has made in the latter three seasons has been great. I mean there is still some mechanic flaws every now and then, but it is noticeable that teenj has moved this spin-off into the right direction. I won’t tune in every single time a new episode is posted, but I will make sure that I don’t fall out of touch with it.

FINAL GRADE – C+

Since this an overall spin-off review, I can’t ignore the first three seasons of this when coming up with a final grade. However, I will admit that this spin-off is getting better fast, thus the (+).

This was suppose to be posted yesterday, but I had some real life stuff I had to deal with. Apologies for the delay.

TEAM SPONGEBOB OVERALL REVIEW

Emphasis on the word "overall" because that is kinda important to the final grade.

Where do I start. When I first came back to SBC, I was excited by returning to the spin-off section. Even during the darkest hours of tv.com, spin-offs were one of the few things I was still passionate about. Any who, I was reading up on a couple spin-offs, then I came to a user I was not familiar with at the time. His name was teenj12. I read his spin-off and right away something was glaring obvious. To me, it felt like I was reading Avatar: The Last Airbender substituted with SpongeBob characters. Not only that, but there were mechanical errors that just stood out and the characters were just there. To have a cohesive spin-off, the characters need to be more dimensional, otherwise they just come off as flat and serving no purpose. I noticed all the negative reviews for Team SpongeBob and hopefully teenj caught on after that.

Then it took a while for Team SpongeBob to find its own “swing” so to speak. Season 2, the series started to feel less like Avatar, but it was still lacking its own identity. I mean The Mud Man? Of all the villains lacking character depth, this was a perfect example. He felt like he was just there for SpongeBob and friends to vanquish. This continued into Season 3 as a show without an exact identity of what it was. I stopped reading afterwards after falling out of the whole spin-off scene for a while.

Now before I continue, let me talk about another spin-off that had the same problem for a while: Mermaid Man: The Brave and The Bold. It took Jjs until more than halfway through Season 3 and a couple negative reviews until Mermaid Man found its own identity and became probably Jjs’s best spin-off.

Then I decided to do this whole review a spin-off a week thing. I was trying to think of the first ideal candidate, so I came into mind with Team SpongeBob since it was one of the spin-offs that has been around for about a year and a half or so. To be a fair and honest reviewer, I continue to read Team SpongeBob where I left off starting at Season 4. A few episodes into Season 4, I noticed something. There was a cohesive plot that was set in stone every episode and much more effort being put into it. I spent a good two hours reading the next three seasons into where teenj has left off. The improvement this spin-off has made in the latter three seasons has been great. I mean there is still some mechanic flaws every now and then, but it is noticeable that teenj has moved this spin-off into the right direction. I won’t tune in every single time a new episode is posted, but I will make sure that I don’t fall out of touch with it.

FINAL GRADE – C+

Since this an overall spin-off review, I can’t ignore the first three seasons of this when coming up with a final grade. However, I will admit that this spin-off is getting better fast, thus the (+).

Thank you so much Clappy! I really appreciate the review :) . I can agree with you on a lot of points. I do think I started to put more effort in the plot. It is hard, because for a majority of the show, I've been using an on screen keyboard.

Again, than you for your lengthy, incredible review :D .

Alright, as a member of the Spin-off Club (and in lieu of my keyboard abruptly working again), I present to you my review for the acclaimed spin-off classic, "Down Under". When this spin-off first came out, it took the members of SBC by storm in terms of popularity, as many users came to view tvguy's execution of a spin-off that would combine both the world of SBC with the world of Spongebob Squarepants. It was a fresh and unique concept, and it served to be an inspiration in other SBC member's works. However...does it hold up today? Let's see.

Plot: Like I already implied above, the premise is very good. The idea of combining elements of horror, comedy, SBC satire, and exploration of the universe of Spongebob is definitely an ambitious concept. There is one problem however that I will get to soon. Grade: A

Characters: Despite some occasionally silly lines, the SBC user characterizations actually do have some humorous and enjoyable moments as well as some interesting backstories. While I feel that there is an overabundance of both villains and members who don't add much to the story, the character cast is good overall. Grade: B

Episodes: While many of your episodes end on a satisfying note, I feel that a lot of them are too lengthy and overly detailed. Not exactly what I'd call an inexcusable flaw, but I feel your episodes would've been a lot easier to read and follow if they were shorter. Grade: B- Which brings us to the last aspect of this spin-off that needs to be discussed...

Story: Sorry, but despite all the positive aspects of Down Under, it has one serious flaw. One fatal flaw that almost ruins the entire experience. The telling of the story. This flaw is commonly overlooked by fans, but it becomes quite apparent when the following question is asked. "Do you understand anything that is going on in Down Under?" The story of Down Under is confusing to say the very least, and it would be acceptable if the confusion was only created from surprising plot twists and bizarre that were meant to be given explanations and insight later on. However, there are many sub-stories and plot elements whose purpose to the main story is either left unexplained, or only exists to obfuscate the story even more. Summarizing the story of Down Under is not possible, as there is little to no connection to all of its plots and ideas. Grade: D-

Overall: Down Under does boast an interesting premise and an imaginative use of thriller techniques, but its awkward and sloppy storytelling is too great of a flaw to classify it as a timeless classic. Not a terrible show, but far from a masterpiece in spin-off writing. Grade: C

Storm Racers Season 2: Fusion

27/28. Plight of the Red Sentients (Parts 1 & 2)

The premiere was the perfect way to introduce S2 and all the things in store for it. All the new enemies, and new things such as The Healing Chambers seduce my interest. Nice battle scenes, one in particular, Nora Vs Kuri. Interesting stuff there and can't wait to see where that goes.

Final Grade: A+