• Advertisement

SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2: Sponge Out Of Water (News)

Jjs Goodman

GUYS. Hillenburg is working on the movie. Quote:

"Paul and I have been working on a movie premise; the story for a second movie. That's really what we've been busy with. Paul's going to direct this one, I'm going to produce but I'm going to help write it and we're kind of excited about the story (I can't talk about it yet). It's going to be delivered in 2014 so we had to get on it because that's only 2 years. [...] From the first movie we learned a lot because we write the show by storyboarding, we don't write a script, and we found very soon that it's incredibly hard to just write a loose outline and start boarding and make a movie. We finally pulled it together but it was challenging. This time Paul and I have really blocked out the three acts and we have a fun twist. We know where the movie's going a little more than in the first case, but it's always hard ... it's going to be challenging no matter what."

Source:

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/05/big-pop-fun-28-stephen-hillenburg-artist-and-animator/

I'm... just.....

happy-spongebob.gif

OHHOLYCOW

-Thanks goes to Patrick NotStar and DadMom AngryPants back at SpongeBuddy Mania for the info. Thanks, guys. :)

• Like 1

I wasn't really that excited about seeing this movie until I found out that good ol' Steve is back to work on it! :D From what he said in the interview, it looks like they have the storyline more planned-out than the first movie (which in itself was pretty awesome), so we can only expect pure EPICness from this sequel.

Only question now is...how am I gonna get my 20-year-old self to walk into the movie theater to see it? *foreshadowing awkwardness*

Anybody think this may bring on another hiatus? :#

I'll repost my thoughts on the subject from Spongebuddy Mania:

If I remember correctly, it took the S1-3 crew 3 years to complete the first film. Stephen H. has gone on record saying that once production on the movie started, production on the series ended, because it'd be stressful to work on both at the same time. This current crew has worked on the series much longer, and they might be able to work on the series and film simeltaneously.

Also, back in 2002, the 2nd Season was halfway finished airing and Nick only had the the third season left to air. With the rate the episodes were being aired, Nick would finish airing the remaining episodes by 2003. To keep Spongebob alive, Nick had to trickle out episodes at a very slow rate (I imagine this schedule shake-up is why episodes are aired so erratically now).

Will the process repeat itself? Nowadays, Nick airs episodes so erratically, I doubt we'd notice a difference. However, right now, if Season 9 is set to start this year, it would normally end in 2013. A whole year before the movie is supposed to be here. However Nick has (apparently) ordered a tenth season, so I don't know how that'll play out. I don't know if the crew will work on the movie and the show at the same time. I think the show wouldn't be as good if the crew does that, though. I don't know whether I want a hiatus or not.

On one hand, I like seeing new Spongebob episodes. On the other hand, I've had my fill of mediocre/bad episodes, and I think that if the crew works on the movie and the show at the same time, Spongebob will relapse into those kind of episodes. I'm pretty torn, but in the end, I prefer quality over quantity, so I'd lean toward a hiatus, I guess.

But, a hiatus scares me a bit, because that's what made all the old writers leave in the first place. After the six writers for the movie were chosen in 2002, the series was done with production. A fourth season wasn't ordered until 2004. The older writers (Mark O' Hare, Merriwether Williams, Dan Povenmire, Jay Lender, Kaz, etc.) left to do other things (most of them flocked to the show Camp Lazlo) because, to them, the series was over. The writers and storyboard artists on the movie stayed for the fourth Season (Aaron Springer, Paul Tibbitt, Tim Hill, Sherm Cohen, and Kent, even though he didn't write any S4 episodes, was a writer for the first part of Season 4), before a good deal of them left.

What if the writers that weren't chosen for the movie this time around leave if there's a hiatus? This is still assuming there won't be a tenth season until later (I still can't trust that source yet). Another new crew coming in? DO NOT WANT.

Seriously, if any of that happens (a season after the new movie) we're gonna have to invent a new word. Post-post movie? tongue.png

*looks at post*

Man, I wish I was less long-winded.

But seriously. I say we should use the term Post-Post Movie. It'd be hilarious.

• Like 2