• Advertisement

SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2: Sponge Out Of Water (News)

Jinjo

I was hesitant to post this at first, considering the lack of sources, but I guess it doesn't hurt posting it:

"Paramount has two animated movies following "Rango": Steven Spielberg's motion-capture film "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn," set for release in December, and another "SpongeBob" picture. Studio executives say more will follow, including a possible "Rango" sequel."

http://www.latimes.c...0,4796726.story

EDIT (FEBRUARY 28TH, 2012): CONFIRMED!

EDIT 2: As of June 2014, it is confirmed the movie will be released February 6th, 2015.

This seems to be in such short notice. If there was really another movie coming out this December, they probably would've announced a year ago. Besides, I've never really been a fan of the idea of a second SpongeBob movie, unless the old writers come back to make it (including Stephen Hillenburg).

News sites can sometimes get their stories mixed up, so I'm not gonna believe it just yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

This seems to be in such short notice. If there was really another movie coming out this December, they probably would've announced a year ago. Besides, I've never really been a fan of the idea of a second SpongeBob movie, unless the old writers come back to make it (including Stephen Hillenburg).

News sites can sometimes get their stories mixed up, so I'm not gonna believe it just yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

It didn't say it was coming in December, as I said before.

I think they mean they will make just another special. Like Atlantis SquarePantis and Truth or Square.

Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure it means a movie like the 1st one from 2004.

It could be a Direct-to-DVD instead of a full-length feature film. There would be so many upset fans if they decided to make a sequel to the SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. My guess is that it's going to be an extended special that will last 1-2 hours and will premiere on Nickelodeon.

Here is an interview with Paul Tibbitt that was posted today that might shed some light on this:

Will there ever be a second Spongebob film?

"I think that they are talking about doing that, but I haven't signed up for anything. We just feel like we've told so many stories, and Spongebob exists so well in this short 11-minute form. It is a huge challenge, and was a huge challenge, to make a 75-minute movie. I wouldn't say no, but I don't know if there will be another one."

Interview itself: http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/interviews/a312387/paul-tibbitt-spongebob-squarepants.html

It could be a Direct-to-DVD instead of a full-length feature film. There would be so many upset fans if they decided to make a sequel to the SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. My guess is that it's going to be an extended special that will last 1-2 hours and will premiere on Nickelodeon.
Face has a good theory here. I really wouldn't mind a movie sequel in theaters, but I think direct to DVD sounds more predictable.

Guest hilaryfan80

If this were to happen, the old writers should be hired to write the story. The movie would flop if the new writers (seasons 4 and up) wrote this new story.

If this were to happen, the old writers should be hired to write the story. The movie would flop if the new writers (seasons 4 and up) wrote this new story.

^This. But seriously, the chances of a sequel aren't exactly slim. SB still has a huge fanbase that aren't serious fans like us; it could do pretty well in the box office, just off of fans who love the show. It wouldn't be a bad idea, from the producers' point of view.

Don't forget that counting the "Rugrats/Wild Thornberries" crossover movie, the "Rugrats" had three movies in theaters in total. So the idea of "Spongebob Squarepants" having a second movie in theaters isn't TOO much of an outlandish idea.

• Like 1

Come on, not all episodes of the newer seasons were terrible. I'm sure the writers would do their best work to make a movie.

• Like 1