• Advertisement

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

storytime7

Really really sorry about bumping this but I just had to share my thoughts.

I love this show and will go as far to say it's one of my favorite cartoons currently airing. Season 5 has been pretty solid with my favorite episodes so far being The Cutie Map, Bloom and Gloom, and Make New Friends But Keep Discord and my least favorite episodes being Castle Sweet Castle and Appleoosa's Most Wanted. I don't think these episodes are really flawed, but compared to the other episodes this season, I don't like them as much. Though they do have their good points. As for Tanks For the Memories, I'd have to put it in the middle. It has its issues but I liked seeing how much Rainbow Dash loved Tank and how the whole episode can be a metaphor for dealing with grief.

Looking forward to next week's episode because of the RD/Pinkie plot. It's nice to see the two of them have an episode devoted to their dynamic again since...Griffon the Brush Off all the way back in season 1. Hopefully this one is better :P

• Like 4

Really really sorry about bumping this but I just had to share my thoughts.

I love this show and will go as far to say it's one of my favorite cartoons currently airing. Season 5 has been pretty solid with my favorite episodes so far being The Cutie Map, Bloom and Gloom, and Make New Friends But Keep Discord and my least favorite episodes being Castle Sweet Castle and Appleoosa's Most Wanted. I don't think these episodes are really flawed, but compared to the other episodes this season, I don't like them as much. Though they do have their good points. As for Tanks For the Memories, I'd have to put it in the middle. It has its issues but I liked seeing how much Rainbow Dash loved Tank and how the whole episode can be a metaphor for dealing with grief.

Looking forward to next week's episode because of the RD/Pinkie plot. It's nice to see the two of them have an episode devoted to their dynamic again since...Griffon the Brush Off all the way back in season 1. Hopefully this one is better :P

True that. Tanks for the Memories was hilarious to me, but I can see people having issues with it, for sure.

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone made me really happy. Firstly, I liked seeing the designs of the griffins. (They're obsessed with bits, though. Something tells me Mr. Krabs would like the way they operate :P) Speaking of griffins, Gilda's back! And she underwent a change of heart! I can understand why RD harbored some negativity towards Gilda because of her actions, but I'm also amazed at how Pinkie wasn't holding a grudge even though Gilda was so rude to her. Those flashbacks of filly RD and whatever-you-call-a-young-griffin Gilda were cute. And now Pinkie and Dash are friends with Gilda! Aww.

One.of my favorite moments of the episode was when Gilda shut up Pinkie when she was about to sing because of the no singing policy XD

In the end, this was an episode with nice world building and some good character development.

I checked up on the latest episode discussion on Equestria Daily out of curiosity. Right now, the whole discussion is filled with cheers and praises of love and admiration to the celestial heavens from all kinds of bronies over Derpy's (that's even what she's called in the most recent episode) first speaking role in the entire series. In case you want a quick summary of their comments:

Spoiler

Woah, Derpy just spoke. Derpy spoke! Damn! Oh my God! She spoke several lines of dialogue in a gag! So hilarious! Holy shit! They even call her Derpy! Derpy Hooves is now canon! Oh yes, Derpy, fuck yeah! So intense, and I viewed it on TV for myself! WOOT! That is the baddest fn' thing I've ever seen!

The fans have an even greater love for Derpy than I thought. What do you guys think?

Heh heh heh, look at that joker. What do I think? For starters, I think there are better ways to tell people that Derpy has spoken...

(Go to 1:21)

...for the first time in over three years. :) I thought that the episode itself was good too.

• Like 1

It was silly and pandering to fans, but I enjoyed it. Wouldn't call it one of my favorites of the season but it was fun.

Pandering? It's a show for younger girls.

Yeah I used that word before in this topic and got replies similar to the one I'm giving you, but still, giving out a friendly reminder from a lesson I've learned....

Pandering? It's a show for younger girls.

Yeah I used that word before in this topic and got replies similar to the one I'm giving you, but still, giving out a friendly reminder from a lesson I've learned....

I dunno, it felt like the writers were giving into people's headcanons about Doctor Hooves and Derpy working together or Vinyl Scratch and Octavia being roommates...

But let me keep my mouth shut. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Saying the show is "just for little girls" is a little bit of a naive approach, since it's pretty obvious that with characters like Doctor Hooves they're aiming at other audiences as well.

Also shows can still pander to younger girls.

I thought the episode was good, I loved everything they did with the characters. I hope Derpy's name isn't really "Muffins", it'll always be "Derpy" to me. I'm surprised no one's mentioned how they paired Lyra and Bon-Bon together.

• Like 1

Party Pooped was definitely a step up from last week's Princess Spike. (Aside: while I liked getting a look at Twilight's princess duties and the different pony designs were cool to look at--I especially liked the Fargo pony from Whinnyapolis--the episode seemed a tad lackluster. I don't have a problem with Spike but his episodes aren't always the best) There was some nice worldbuilding with the yaks and it was good to see Cherries Jubilee again. This episode was always pretty funny--just look at all those pony freakouts :P And it was great to see just how much work Pinkie puts into her parties.  Her character was handled quite well here, which I appreciate, since she can come off so immature at times. So yeah, quite a solid episode.

• Like 2

I think Slice of Life did a tasteful job of combining fans' headcanons while not totally giving in to them (the Doctor Who references were pretty blatant though, lol). I don't know how I'd actually feel about the episode now, though, seeing as it was a complete shock when I watched it the first time. (For example, I didn't expect the Big Lebowski ponies to make a comeback.)

Princess Spike and Party Pooped were almost totally bland, in my opinion. I knew Princess Spike was going to be a cringe-fest the moment I saw Spike shutting down the construction work going on in Canterlot to keep things quiet so Twilight could rest for the summit. I know Spike taking Cadance's command way too seriously was supposed to be funny, but it ended up being more "stupid" stupid than "funny" stupid to me. Even though a lot of the civilian ponies were being quite unreasonable themselves, am I the only one who thinks Spike got off too easy? He did almost destroy a town after all and practically pinned all the blame on Twilight despite there being almost no fault of her own. The yaks in Party Pooped were more annoying than anything and it's just one of those episodes where almost none of the jokes work for me. The ending with Pinkie's party-planning basement was nice, though.

Hopefully, the next few episodes will be better because it's the middle-of-the-road episodes that disappoint me the most when it comes to the show.

Also,

Spoiler

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that the only way I'll post on SBC is if SBM is shut down first. I have absolutely no idea what that has to do with friendship, but there you go.

Your faithful student,

SBManiac

Dang, Amending Fences was so good. Moondancer is totally what Twilight would've turned into if she hadn't accepted friendship. What a great, emotional episode that can definitely ring true for a lot of us. 

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/HasbroNews/status/619201901691842560

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/07/sdcc-pony-panel-major-news-points.html

Well, bad news and good news. The bad news is that season 5 is going on hiatus until later this year. The good news is that some legit interesting stuff has been confirmed to happen, like Starlight Glimmer returning for the S5 finale (thank God) and...Fluttershy having a brother.

https://twitter.com/HasbroNews/status/619201901691842560

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/07/sdcc-pony-panel-major-news-points.html

Well, bad news and good news. The bad news is that season 5 is going on hiatus until later this year. The good news is that some legit interesting stuff has been confirmed to happen, like Starlight Glimmer returning for the S5 finale (thank God) and...Fluttershy having a brother.

Hiatus:

h40374__safe_twilight-sparkle_animated_f

Starlight Glimmer's return:

Pinkie_Pie_with_a_mustache_rubbing_her_h

Fluttershy having a brother? :

FANMADE_Shocked_Rarity.gif

This is going to be interesting...

• Like 4