• Advertisement

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

storytime7

Video Game Ponies:

pony-mashup-mario.jpg

tumblr_lpzkfoYrZZ1r16ao3o1_500.png

b50e7dd5-81bb-47bb-9b3f-66616641b951.jpg

my_little_video_game_ponies_by_ericaleev

Honestly, this picture is an ABOMINATION of EVERYTHING that Nintendo STANDS for!!!! :rolleyes: Although Discord sure is funny; on the rare occasions where I DO get around to watching this show, I can't get enough Discord! B) And that episode with Weird Al Yankovic as Cheese Sandwich was BRILLIANT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Enough said! ;)

Hiatus:

h40374__safe_twilight-sparkle_animated_f

Starlight Glimmer's return:

Pinkie_Pie_with_a_mustache_rubbing_her_h

Fluttershy having a brother? :

FANMADE_Shocked_Rarity.gif

This is going to be interesting...

Well that's some news. I did expect to see Stalight Glimmer's return, although that last one is a big shocker. I think I'll keep my expectations around the other sibling relationships, or something like "Maud Pie," but this is news. As for the hiatus, well, at least it gives some time for this.

Spoiler

My Season 5 thoughts got removed, but don't fear, I have a backup stored on my drive.

Season 5 Review

Spoiler

MLP:FiM Season 5 Review

The Cutie Markless (both parts)

Current Thoughts: Still one of my favorite special episodes. A really solid execution of a “fight against an evil cult” plot in a TV-Y show. I still can’t find much wrong with it other than the abrupt end to the climax. 9.3/10

Castle Sweet Castle

Current Thoughts: A lot of fans really like this one from what I’ve surveyed, but I don’t know. It was pretty okay to me. The plot was fine, the jokes were fine, the song was fine, but...nothing really stuck out. It was just an episode. 6.5/10

Bloom and Gloom

Current Thoughts: I thought it was one of the better Cutie Mark Crusader episodes, to be honest. The story was imaginative and I was getting honest laughs out of it. Easily my favorite Josh Haber episode this season before the finale. 8.5/10

Tanks for the Memories

Current Thoughts: Please don’t kill me Rainbow Dash fans, I thought this one was pretty funny with how crazy and terrible RD acted. I still can’t believe Cindy Morrow wrote it, it was so off-the-wall I thought it was a Williams or a Polsky episode. It even put The Amazing World of Gumball on my mind because of all the mayhem and that awkward crying scene that came off as a parody more than anything. XD 8.8/10

Appleloosa’s Most Wanted

Current Thoughts: Yeah, I actually agree with the crowd for a change, this one was just alright. I liked three or four of the gags and the story was fine, but there was nothing that made me say “I love this!”. And no, I am not gay for Braeburn. Trouble Shoes is more my kind of guy… 6.5/10

Make Friends But Keep Discord

Current Thoughts: Yup, this episode was nothing like I expected, just like I expected. Of course, that doesn’t mean it’s bad. In fact...I liked it a lot, and it’s one of my favorite episodes from this season. Discord did get somewhat aggravating at parts, but at other parts, he had me laughing. I also loved the Metal Gear reference gag, Tree Hugger, and Maud Pie with her one-liner comeback (yes, I do like Maud Pie as a character now). 9.1/10

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone

Current Thoughts: I didn’t find it to be spectacular, personally, but I at least understand the praise for it. The story was well done for the most part, Pinkie Pie was pretty funny, and I liked the return of both Gilda and those jock pegasi (...what? I like them). 8.4/10

Slice of Life

Current Thoughts: Prime example of an episode that could’ve easily been done poorly, but ended up being really good. I liked most of the things they did with the background characters, my favorite being Gummy’s monologue. Didn’t care much for the whole “Bon-Bon being a secret agent” part though, it just...came and went so abruptly. I can understand why though, the writers had so many things to do in so little time. 8.9/10

Princess Spike

Current Thoughts: Eh...yeah. I agree that this one was a bit disappointing. I mean yeah, some of it was amusing, but some things genuinely hurt this episode for me, like the fact that it was predictable from start to finish. Right off the bat, I knew Spike was going to use the whole “princess thing” for selfish reasons, thus causing mayhem, thus causing everyone to get pissed, thus causing him to learn his lesson, thus blah blah. And sadly, Spike wasn’t even the highlight of this Spike-centered episode, Twilight being tired and babbling was. 7/10

Party Pooped

Current Thoughts: That running gag in the beginning with the yaks destroying things was annoying and had me worried that this was going to be a mediocre episode, but it improved as it went on and ended up being a good episode. I actually thought it was funny and not-so predictable how things panned out with Pinkie Pie and I liked how the twist at the ending was heartfelt and not an asspull when I went back and thought it over. 8.3/10

Amending Fences

Current Thoughts: Great execution of a good idea, it was really cool to see a relatable and heartwarming story being made out of those characters Twilight cruelly deserted in the first episode being revisited. :P I felt it could’ve used more humor and saw some potential for some really funny gags, but I can kind of understand since this one was more about story than comedy. 8.8/10

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Current Thoughts: From the title, you’d think this one would be really lulzy and weird. Well, it is weird, but surprisingly, it also has some well-done serious moments. I’m not kidding, it felt like a mini-special episode with how epic the plot turned out and it was great character development for Luna. The dream stuff was also really cool. 9/10

Canterlot Boutique

Current Thoughts: I’m a bigger fan of other Rarity episodes, but this one was fine. Story was good and so was the song, but unfortunately, it’s also one of those episodes that gets a bit dry as a result of a large amount of exposition. I also didn’t like how the rest of the Mane 6 just waltzed out of the plot midway through, never to be seen again...and Rarity not even giving a speech for Cadance’s dress. :( 7.8/10

Rarity Investigates!

Current Thoughts: Again, decent, but I like other Rarity episodes better. The mystery element here is done better than in The Mysterious Mare Do Well, but still, it suffers from the flaw of a lack of suspense. You can figure out the real culprit very easily, and after the culprit is revealed, the plot is just...resolved exactly as you would expect. Not bad, I just felt it could’ve used a twist or two. 7.9/10

Made in Manehattan

Current Thoughts: I liked it slightly better than the other two Rarity episodes that came before it. Entertainment value was solid, I really liked seeing Coco again, and the message was pretty sweet. R.I.P. Applejack’s hat though. Cruelly thrown away by Rarity after being beaten up and shredded. :( 8.1/10

Brotherhooves Social

Current Thoughts: A pretty decent one, though some of the implications, like Big Mac talking more than ever before while pretending to be a lady, were a bit creepy. :P My favorite line was Rainbow Dash’s “I won’t take it easy on you just because you’re a stallion!”, and my favorite part was the ending. I knew they were going to do something heartwarming and sweet. 8.3/10

Crusaders of the Lost Mark

Current Thoughts: Surprisingly very good. I’ll be honest and say that when the episode started off with a song only twenty seconds in, I really didn’t know what to expect. But holy crap, when I saw them legitimately defy the “Status Quo is God” cliche twice in the end...I couldn’t have been any more satisfied. The only true problem I had with this episode is that it was short on jokes, but again, I understand since this episode was trying to do a lot more than just generate laughs. 8.7/10

The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows

Current Thoughts: Great. This episode was written by a new writer to the show, and I can tell she’s a great one. The pacing was spot-on, jokes were made all throughout, and everything came together at the end. Favorite gags were when Pinkie was literally bouncing like a pinball around the room, waving her arms exactly like the inflatable tube man, and Shining Armor squealing happily over everything Twilight prepared for him, then screaming when he saw the burnt comic, then immediately going back to being happy. 8.8/10

Hearthbreakers

Current Thoughts: A good Christmas episode, for October nonetheless, but alas, it is not without flaw. A harshly predictable plot mars some of this episode’s enjoyment for me, with me knowing right from the get-go what was going to happen. Pinkie Pie’s family’s holiday traditions were going to be bleh, Applejack’s family was not going to enjoy them, but learn to love them in the end, and that the moral in the end was going to be “Don’t judge other family holiday traditions by their cover.” At least with that aside, the episode was enjoyable, especially with Pinkie Pie’s other sisters and some great lines from Maud Pie. 8.2/10

Scare Master

Current Thoughts: Another good holiday episode, but again, I don’t find it to be stellar. The gags involving Fluttershy’s fear of Nightmare Night stretching to be entirely irrational and completely not understanding what being scary was about were...mixed. Some of them were funny, and some of them just annoyed me. The scene where Fluttershy does scare her friends in the end is cool though, and I loved how the moral was MUCH less predictable here than in the previous holiday episode. 8.3/10

What About Discord

Current Thoughts: Miles and bounds better than the other episode Neal Dusedau worked on, Princess Spike, in my opinion. Discord, as always, has his moments in it, but the real treat for me was the relatable plot with Twilight. It was so entertaining seeing her react to not getting the “inside jokes”, it reminded me so much of myself back in the day. That scene of her trying to get the others to drink the potion was hilarious too. 8.9/10

The Hooffields and the McColts

Current Thoughts: I came into this one expecting not to love it, and...my expectations were met. It’s not bad though, and it’s probably the best episode of this season that I just didn’t mind. However, I was not a big fan of the plot, it just felt to me like a retread of Over a Barrel for the most part. But like always, a few parts are amusing, and I liked seeing Twilight and Fluttershy working together. 7.3/10

The Mane Attraction

Current Thoughts: Amy Keating Rogers’ last episode, and it’s good. Though I recognize the plot of it isn’t anything new, the new character it establishes, RaRa, is a really fun character, Pinkie Pie, as always, brings some really funny moments to the episode, and the songs are spectacular. Amy Rogers shall be missed, but at least she’s going out in style. 8.4/10

The Cutie Re-Mark (both parts)

Current Thoughts: ...My prediction was wrong. I didn’t like it better than Twilight’s Kingdom. But that aside, holy cow, this special was still pretty damn good. I loved all the alternate realities with the villains, especially the one with King Sombra. I wasn’t too big on Starlight Glimmer getting reformed at the end, but at least they executed it well and gave a backstory as to how she became evil. I hope we see her brother again in future. 9.4/10

EPISODES I LOVED:

The Cutie Map (both parts)

Tanks for the Memories

Make Friends But Keep Discord

Slice of Life

Amending Fences

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Crusaders of the Lost Mark

The One Where Pinkie Knows

What About Discord

The Cutie Re-Mark (both parts)

EPISODES I LIKED:

Bloom and Gloom

The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone

Party Pooped

Canterlot Boutique

Rarity Investigates!

Made in Manehattan

Brotherhooves Social

Hearthbreakers

Scare Master

The Mane Attraction

EPISODES I DIDN’T MIND:

Castle Sweet Castle

Appleloosa’s Most Wanted

Princess Spike

The Hooffields and the McColts

So overall, again, this has been a pretty good season. In my honest opinion, it’s just as good, if not better than Season 4 because of how many new things they tried to do in it. While Season 4 also tried to be ambitious by including a story arc, said story arc was really just vital exposition for that season’s finale and though it helped develop the show’s universe, it didn’t exactly change anything in the show. This season, on the other hand, consistently gave me the feeling that important stuff that was impacting the show was happening, from exploring characters whom we hadn’t seen/heard about since Season 1 and giving them actual personalities, to going against the Status Quo is God and doing away with tired plot/joke devices that had overstayed their welcome (hi Cutie Mark Crusader plots and Discord irritating the Mane 6 with his schtick).

Also, that’s not even the only reason why I like Season 5 better than Season 4. This time around, there were four episodes I wasn’t big on as opposed to six and there were even more episodes that I loved. Just like last season, this season deserves nothing less than a solid A. Fantastic.

Yeah, I can't believe I once thought that it would be good for this show to be wrapped up after Season 5. This had me looking forward to Season 6 and the movie more than ever.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 1

Any fan worried about the premiere of Season 6 coming too late can put their fears to rest now, because by the look of things, it's going to be coming this spring, most likely in May.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/01/my-little-pony-season-6-in-spring.html

Not only that, but anyone in the know about Hasbro's recent additions to the toy franchise should know about this spoiler...

Spoiler

There is going to be a new alicorn princess.

Edited by Metal Snake
Added extra citation and what had initially been announced

Damn.

March 26th. A (just barely) four-month wait after the season finale on November 28th. The shortest wait between seasons, even shorter than the (slightly more than) four-month wait between Seasons 1 and 2. This is right after the longest wait between seasons too, which was an eleven-month wait between Seasons 4 and 5. It took four and a half years, but history finally repeated itself where Hasbro pushed a season to be released sooner than originally announced. Oh yeah, and as for more spoilers...

Spoiler

Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst are confirmed to return, and it appears that the plot will be a sub-sequel to the plot of the Season 3 premiere, The Crystal Empire.

The Gift of Maud Pie

Airing: April 2nd, 2016 at 11:30am-12:00pm

Book Synopsis:
What happens when Maud Pie sells her things so she can give her wacky sister, Pinkie Pie, a gift? And what happens when Pinkie Pie does the same thing for Maud ?

And now for something completely different...

Yeah, I did a reading of my review of the season premiere, which you can read right here...

Spoiler

The Crystalling Spoiler-Free Thoughts

I’ll be honest, it feels weird watching My Little Pony on a Saturday morning again after...four months? Only four? What’s next, is Equestria Girls 4 going to be coming out in July? But seriously, major kudos to Studio B for the short wait, as well as major kudos for putting out such a good premiere episode in such a short amount of time. As you can see by the title, I’m going to try to talk about the episode without giving away too much.

If you saw any of the teasers for it, or just...looked at the title of it, you probably assumed that it would be a semi-sequel to Season 3’s premiere episode, The Crystal Empire. If so...you would be wrong, as was I when I assumed that. It is in every way a semi-sequel to The Crystal Empire, even going as far to show parallels between it and its semi-prequel. For example, both episodes share the same format, as in both involve the entirety of the first part being build-up to an imminent, looming threat and the second part being about our heroes trying to stop the threat before it brings about certain doom, and both episodes also have a bigger focus on character interaction than fighting a villain at all.

It...might not be your kind of special if you weren’t a fan of The Crystal Empire, but I will definitely say that this episode, at least in my opinion, was a lot more engaging than The Crystal Empire. I felt like there was more stuff actually going on with better character conflicts and a better story that gave a more justifiable reason for there to be no action.

What I mean by that is that in this special, the conflict between Starlight and her brother was something that was built up prior in the Season 5 finale, unlike in The Crystal Empire where the entire conflict literally came out of nowhere, with Twilight having to...pass a test by saving this empire that just appeared? Sure… Also, here, there was no villain to fight, so there was no reason for action or actual confrontation, and thus, no disappointment to be had.

Overall, I wouldn’t call it as good as the Season 5 premiere, but I still really liked it. It was an improvement over The Crystal Empire, which I still stick to my opinion of being the weakest special, sorry to those who love that one, and it left me feeling hopeful that the rest of Season 6 will be just as, if not more, impressive. Actually, who am I kidding. Of course more. I’m going to adore so many of those “ordinary” episodes and the season finale. I literally can not wait.

Copy and pasted my thoughts from Scarlet's Web because I am a lazy bunghole.

Anyways, now that Season 6 is going on hiatus an episode early (bizarre, but I guess it makes up for the shortest hiatus between seasons), I'm going to post my rating and ranking for each episode of the season so far...

11. Spice Up Your Life 7.7/10
10. The Crystalling (both parts) 7.8/10
9. Applejack's "Day" Off 8/10
8. Flutter Brutter 8.1/10
7. On Your Marks 8.15/10
6. The Saddle Row Review 8.2/10
5. Gauntlet of Fire 8.3/10
4. No Second Prances 8.4/10
3. Newbie Dash 8.5/10
2/1. The Gift of Maud Pie/A Hearth's Warming Tail 8.9/10 (for both, both tied for 1.)

Overall, Season 6 has been good so far, just not as grabbing to me as Season 5. I hope that the second half is better.