• Advertisement

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

storytime7

13 minutes ago, Spongetron Robotpants said:

Bumping this to let you pony fans know there's a full trailer coming out soon.

Source: https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/06/first-major-mlp-movie-trailer-coming.html

I read some article where it said it was coming out July 30th, but I can't seem to find it. ;-;

Even though I don't watch the show anymore, I do know that the movie is coming out October 6th:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mylittlepony2017.htm

Just now, Spongetron Robotpants said:

I was talking about the trailer not the movie :P I think we all know by now that the release date for the movie is Oct. 6th lmao

Ah well the way you worded your other post made me think you were talking about the movie not the trailer. :P 

35 minutes ago, CyanideFishbone said:

I still don't know what to think about the animation

Other than it being much more fluid and vibrant than the show's animation? :P

The trailer was pretty good, despite not showing too much I didn't expect, though that may have something to do with how much shit got leaked about it. XD Tempest Shadow's voice is heavenly, she's easily the new character I'm most excited for. Definitely not going to miss seeing this in theaters.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

The trailer was pretty good, despite not showing too much I didn't expect, though that may have something to do with how much shit got leaked about it. XD Tempest Shadow's voice is heavenly, she's easily the new character I'm most excited for. Definitely not going to miss seeing this in theaters.

Perhaps he didn't think it was gonna be a mix of 2D and 3D animation.

15 hours ago, Metal Snake said:

Yeah, it's really that. It just seemed to take some getting used to but I don't think it's bad my any means.

I'm going to watch this but probably after it's in theaters somehow. I don't want to see this in a theater full of kids and probably guys in their mid 20's.

4 hours ago, HelloMisterSpringtime said:

*looks at the comments section for trailer* Am I in 2012?

My reaction to the comment section...

Yeah, I generally expect the Youtube comments sections on popular MLP videos to be painful, but what I saw just now was a pleasant surprise for the most part. If the YT community is not being inexplicably jaded and cynical about this, that's a good sign.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

Yeah, I generally expect the Youtube comments sections on popular MLP videos to be painful, but what I saw just now was a pleasant surprise for the most part. If the YT community is not being inexplicably jaded and cynical about this, that's a good sign.

*Vietnam-esque flashbacks to the initial reaction to Equestria Girls*

2 hours ago, CyanideFishbone said:

*Vietnam-esque flashbacks to the initial reaction to Equestria Girls*

Oh yeah, that was insanity. 2013 had to be the worst year for the brony fandom. But at least this lulziness came from it.

pure art

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

Bumped this cuz the MLP movie came out already. Has anyone seen it yet?

I'll be honest; my interest in MLP has really dwindled and i just can't really get super into it again, unfortunately. I think I'll try again though, and I'm definitely going to end up watching the movie.

2 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

Bumped this cuz the MLP movie came out already. Has anyone seen it yet?

Yo. ;)

Do you want spoiler-free thoughts or full thoughts?

Spoiler-free

It was pretty good. Like Season 4/5/6 (and hopefully 7) finale pretty good. For My Little Pony standards, it was stellar. Yes, on its own, I wouldn't go as far to call it amazing. Why? I'll go more into why when I do my thoughts with spoilers, but I'll get the negative out of the way for now by vaguely (AS FUCK) saying that the latter half of the movie had a disappointing lack of twists and turns. The weakest aspect of the film by far was falling into a tired formula towards the end. However, the first half of the movie and overall product definitely surpassed my expectations. The animation was absolutely fantastic (tell me again why traditionally animated movies are a lost art), the introduction of the new characters was much better than I thought it was going to be, the storytelling was surprisingly smooth, all of the songs were good, and the humor was spot-on. I happily stayed in the theaters after the credits wanting more. Please, please, please, let there be a sequel, and if you have any love for the MLP franchise, please go watch this movie in theaters. Some guy on the internet said so. :D

Full Thoughts

Spoiler

I honestly did immensely enjoy this movie and desperately want to call it a masterpiece. However, I have to be fair, be both subjective and objective, in saying that this movie was not the best it could have been. Like I already said in my spoiler-free thoughts, the first half had me thoroughly impressed with the film, as I found my worries that the movie's glaring flaw would be trying to cram too much story into a 90-minute film not become reality. The storytelling and pacing up until then is quite satisfying, as no scene goes on for too long, the action, suspense, and humor never take a break (especially not the humor, everyone in the theater including myself could not get enough moments of comedy gold from Rarity and Pinkie Pie XD), and all of the new supporting characters fit in with the main plot surprisingly well. Though I wouldn't go so far to call Capper, the pirates, the seaponies, and Grubber particularly interesting characters, I did quickly find them to be acquired tastes, as they do display enough charisma and personality for me to consider them memorable. But then came...Tempest Shadow at the turning point of the movie. Don't get me wrong, I love Tempest all around, and her performance at the beginning of the movie made her an easy choice for my favorite new character in the film. In fact, even before that, just from watching the trailers, I fell in love with her. I had great expectations for her...that I knew wouldn't ever be realized. Quote for truth, I watched what should have been the best scene in the movie fully expecting to not get what I wanted out of Tempest Shadow's backstory. Just not a fucking bear.

I am sadly not joking. That is the reason Tempest became evil. She was scratched by a bear. That's how her horn was broken and what made her friends stop liking her. That was supposed to be the big twist. Now, why is this twist so bad? Well, first of all, this would make Tempest nothing more than a rip-off of Starlight Glimmer, who became evil for the exact same reason, having one bad experience with friendship as a kid, but became good because Twilight did something good for her and blah blah. Second, this reveal of Tempest's weak motive as a villain shows off the only problem with the movie that ruins the enjoyment of it better than anything else, doing nothing with the lightning in a bottle that it's built up. This scene was the movie's turning point. This was their golden opportunity to make it the best movie they could have possibly made it. Tempest Shadow having a strong, relatable reason for believing what she believed would've been the easiest chance to throw in a creative twist that would've led the movie's latter half on a more than thrilling ride towards a spectacular conclusion.

But of course, that didn't happen because, "Business! And marketing! And time constraints! And...bleh."

1473959__safe_storm+king_tempest+shadow_

Preach it, Storm King. Though you were easily the film's weakest new character, as you turned out to have no personality beyond being a generic bad guy and a rip-off of Tirek, at least you provided some genuinely entertaining dialogue. Also, kudos to the team for having the balls to kill you off. At least that wasn't something I was expecting.

That's all for the cynicism, I'm done. This movie is still far above average for both kid's cartoon movie standards and the show's standards. I just have to be honest in giving the most constructive, unbiased critique I can give when I look at a masterpiece...that sadly was not finished. However, moving on to the optimism, I absolutely want this movie to not just be a one-off, but the beginning of something much greater. So yeah, if you are in any way a fan of My Little Pony, please go to watch this movie in theaters. I can't tell you how to live your life, but I can tell you that if you see this franchise as a team you're rooting for, you're definitely not rooting for it by not showing up to its game. Fuck what other people think, stand up and tell them go Broncos go My Little Pony. :D

• Like 1