• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

"Graveyard Shift" is a really unique episode, as it REALLY only focuses on the interactions between two characters. Namely, Spongebob and Squidward, as they're both in a situation with which they are unfamiliar with. Namely, having to work a graveyard shift at The Krusty Krab. It starts off in a typical comedic fashion, than manages to make a successful turn to light horror, when Squidward talks about the story of the Hash-Slinging Slasher! :D And I thought it was funny how Spongebob (and later, Squidward), kept getting the NAME of the Hash-Slinging Slasher wrong! :hysterical: Of course, I don't think ANYBODY watching this episode for the first time, ever EXPECTED the possibility that Squidward's story might end up COMING true, when the lights start flickering on and off, and the phone rings, with nobody there! And the Slasher arrives in the ghost of the bus, that RAN him over, and crosses the street WITHOUT looking both ways; because he's already DEAD! o.o And this line always gets me! Squidward says: "Spongebob, there are two problems WRONG with your theory! One, I HATE you! Two, how can THAT be ME, when I'm STANDING right HERE?!" I thought it was interesting that the character just turned out to be a dinosaur (which kind of fits Squidward's whole "Already dead" theory), and the episode considered an obscure reference to a really old 1920's horror film, "Nosferatu"; which, in itself, is pretty creepy if you know the BACK-STORY of that film! Anyways, this episode made my list at #12, and I can't wait to see what other episodes make this list! :cool: Enough said! ;)

Being one of the darker episodes of Season 2, Graveyard Shift has an interesting atmosphere that, combined with the plot, makes for a great episode. As unpopular of an opinion as this might be, I prefer this over Nasty Patty; while that episode is good in its own right, I just like this one more. It handles the horror aspect well and works with what it's got. While I don't believe it made my list, it is a great episode all the way.

Graveyard Shift reminds me of Pizza Delivery in a way, in that both episodes show the clashing personalities between SpongeBob and Squidward. SpongeBob’s excitement with working the night shift contrasts really well with Squidward’s grumpy frustration. It’s a great theme to have throughout the episode. The Hash-Slinging Slasher story is definitely one of the greatest moments in SpongeBob history. I like how shoddy and improvised its composition is, and how Squidward has to come up with new plot elements on the fly for an extra scare. I also love how most of the story is designed to appeal to SpongeBob’s fears multiple times, which backfires on Squidward pretty beautifully. SpongeBob’s reaction to the story is golden too, I like his complete inability to relate to the story or realize how obviously fake it is, and all the creative ways they show his nervousness, especially with his arms. The climax is a major highlight too. Cool that SpongeBob and Squidward are sharing their trauma together, which I find to be pretty hilarious and poignant. Their random confessions are great as well.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. The Camping Episode (#9)

46. Frankendoodle (#10)

45. SB-129 (#28)

44. ???

43. Missing Identity (#32)

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. Sailor Mouth (#22)

37. Pizza Delivery (#14)

36. SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. Just One Bite (#21)

31. Clams (#41)

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. Idiot Box (#16)

26. ???

25. ???

24. Big Pink Loser (#38)

23. ???

22. ???

21. Graveyard Shift (#8)

20. Something Smells (#39)

19. Snowball Effect (#25)

18. ???

17. Squid's Day Off (#43)

16. Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. Imitation Krabs (#20)

11. ???

10. Nasty Patty (#11)

9. Roller Cowards (#24)

8. Life of Crime (#30)

7. ???

6. Can You Spare a Dime? (#18)

5. Krusty Towers (#19)

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Club SpongeBob (#42)

No Weenies Allowed (#37)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Plankton’s Army (#33)

Mimic Madness (#31)

Have You Seen This Snail? (#26)

Dunces and Dragons (#23)

Welcome to the Chum Bucket (#17)

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (#15)

Krab Borg (#13)

The Algae's Always Greener (#12)

On 7/29/2018 at 11:20 AM, The Boulder said:

IPS: Clappy said "people" have been criticising it but I've only seen myself doing so. If I'm not alone great, if I am just say my name lol I won't get riled up over the namedrop when it's true.

Hey buddy.  I should have clarified.  It’s not just you because I’m going all the way back to before you too.  I know of plenty people from my tv.com time too that was passionately against this episode and since we still have some stragglers from back during those days, I was speaking from under that impression too.  If you want a specific example, RaeAndAnasRock  passionately hated any episode with the slightest bit of Squidward sabotage (ask Jjs since I guarantee maybe one or two people will remember that name haha).  Sorry for any trouble this might have caused.

8 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Hey buddy.  I should have clarified.  It’s not just you because I’m going all the way back to before you too.  I know of plenty people from my tv.com time too that was passionately against this episode and since we still have some stragglers from back during those days, I was speaking from under that impression too.  If you want a specific example, RaeAndAnasRock  passionately hated any episode with the slightest bit of Squidward sabotage (ask Jjs since I guarantee maybe one or two people will remember that name haha).  Sorry for any trouble this might have caused.

Yeah I remember Rae! Man, his opinions on "Skill Crane" and "The Lost Mattress" would be quite controversial by today's general consensus, LOL! (Even though I myself find TLM to be quite an overrated episode).

Edited by SpongeNicko

31 minutes ago, Clappy said:

It's not any trouble, I just specifically remembered giving what I thought was the first criticism against it and as far as I know, in here and that one time in the episode topic in 2015 (the year you mentioned) was the only one on SBC itself, so it looked like a reach especially since it actually rose up to top 3 after 2015 for the 2016 list so that claim just doesn't look right at all.

Plus my criticism isn't the fact that it's Squid sabotage, it's that I felt the excessiveness of thr joke was completely unwarranted given his reasons for testing the myth not being anywhere near enough to justify it, which is also the issue with so many "Squid abuse" episodes like Smoothe Jazz.

Back to the list, Graveyard Shift is one of those classics where I fully agree with all the praise and while no longer in my top 5 is still in my top 15. The antics and slowly building paranoia hidden under all the jokes such as the walls oozing slime pay off with a hilarious ending that only a show like SpongeBob could execute flawlessly. 

7. "A sailor's life is a wonderful life, a wonderful life for sure!"

Image result for shanghaied spongebob

Shanghaied, 240 points

(14 of 32 lists. 1 #1 vote - Patty Sponge)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Shanghaied

BeachBob: I'm so happy this episode got so high. It's one of the greatest episodes out there. While I've never seen the full original 'You Pick' airing that was put on the "First 100 Episodes' DVD (can someone hit me up with that?), and I found out about the alternate endings just a couple years ago, I remember always being amazed by how great this episode is with everything it has. Pirate stories are my weak spot, as well as creepy episodes that take place in the night. The story is great, the characters are great (Squidward in particular) and there are many quotable moments. LEEDLELEEDLELEEEE This is one of those episodes that never get old to me, and I love all the creativity that was put into this. The fly of despair has spaghetti in it? The ghost ship has a parfum department? The villain can't eat without his eating sock, despite having no feet? Now, that's just genious right there. The three wishes must be my favourite part. Too bad only one DVD release has all three endings for as far as I know. I can't praise this episode enough and I can't wait to see which episodes will be up next!

Wumbo: This was the second special episode after Christmas Who?, and for an episode to follow the format of that episode and therefore follow in its footsteps? Well, those are big shoes to fill indeed. Shanghaied fulfills its task by having one of the most adventurous and funny stories in the series. This is the first time The Flying Dutchman takes centre stage, and he is definitely a character up to the task. I love the manic energy and menace Brian Doyle-Murray brings to the character; he's certainly fearsome, but he has a goofy side to him as well. It keeps the episode from being legitimately terrifying and lets its silly side shine through. So many off-the-wall gags like Patrick's ghost howl going on too long, the perfume department, and of course the Fly of Despair. This is a totally fun episode with a high-stakes plot and a worthy fleshing out, in a manner of speaking, of the Flying Dutchman. The three separate endings are what make this episode truly stand out among the rest. I honestly find Squidward's ending the funniest, but the fact that three separate endings were even made just speaks to the effort put into this one. Definitely one of the series' best, definitely deserves a spot on the list.

• Like 6
  • Happy 3

"Shanghaied" made my list at #19. It's easily one of the most memorable and funniest episodes the series has IMO! There are so many great quotes here, "The sky had a baby!", it's hilarious to try and watch SpongeBob and Patrick become part of the Flying Dutchman's crew, and like Wumbo said, the fact that there were 3 potential endings just shows the amount of effort put into this one! It's the good ol' days when there was actual effort put into a SpongeBob episode. Nevertheless, this episode is amazing, and it deserves to be in this countdown!

• Like 1

Both Graveyard Shift and Shanghaied are amazing and hilarious season 2 episodes that made my list

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Missing Identity (#32)

Krab Borg (#13) (Why did I put this so low???)

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Plankton's Army (#33)

Employee of the Month (#40)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Something Smells (#39)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Imitation Krabs (#20)

Life of Crime (#30)

The Camping Episode (#9)

50: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (#15)

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: The Algae's Always Greener (#12)

44: Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

43: ???

42: Big Pink Loser (#38)

41: ???

40: Have You Seen This Snail (#26) 

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: Pizza Delivery (#14)

34: Sailor Mouth (#22)

33: Idiot Box (#15)

32: Nasty Patty (#11)

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: No Weenies Allowed (#37)

22: SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

21: Graveyard Shift (#8)

20: Dunces and Dragons (#23)

19: Roller Cowards (#24) 

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: Krusty Towers (#19)

13: Snowball Effect (#25)  

12: Shanghaied (#7)

11: SB-129 (#28)

10: Mimic Madness (#31)

9: Can You Spare a Dime (#18)  

8: Welcome to the Chum Bucket (#17)

7: Frankendoodle (#10)

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: Just One Bite (#21)

27/50, 14/25

Shanghaied is another great episode from Season 2. It's funny, creative, greatly written (it feels like it was perfectly made for its runtime, something a lot of specials cannot attest to) and is just overall spot-on. While I don't think it made my top 25, it's at the very least top 30-worthy.

I never really found Shanghaied to be one of the strongest episodes of the show. It’s hilarious, yes, but I find it’s story (length, the somewhat dated interactive element with the endings, spserated skit style) to be too awkwardly structured for it to make my personal Top 50. Still, it’s very good and I’m glad to see it here. 

• God Himself 3

When I first joined Shanghaied was my favorite. I saw the extended You Wish scenes and loved them, especially with Potty leaving like a business worker quitting. Aside from those Patchy scenes, gags like the telescope and the perfume department were great and even the weaker ones like "leedle leedle lee" going on a bit too long were brilliantly incorporated by having the Dutchman's energy drain. The 4 way dynamic is great and all characters bounce splendidly off of each other here, and I'm glad to see this in the top 10 after barely making the top 20 last time.

Shanghied wasn't on my list but it's still one of those episodes that deserves the top spot. This is the first episode to focus full on Flying Dutchman and he was both menacing and hilarious as hell. I love SpongeBob and Patrick's antics here, as well as Squidward's unplesant and unimpressed attitude. I didn't even notice this episode being longer than an average episode but that was also one of my biggest praises. It never dragged and it told its story just fine and it gave us one of the funniest sequences ever, Parfume Department. I actually didn't even know alternative endings cuz my country didn't do that but later I saw them and they were just as hilarous as the one that won. This episode is one big amusement to me overall.

I had Wet Painters at 8, so I won't complain about this ranking at all. The episode has so many memorable jokes, and its pairing with KKTV is easily the best pairing in show history.

• Like 3

"Wet Painters" was #16 on my list. Again, it's easily one of the funniest episodes the show has ever produced. Nearly every single joke lands perfectly well, and you gotta love that troll ending! Brilliant episode and a great spot for it on the list.

Wet Painters is an episode that, in my opinion, is very close to being perfect. It's funny, memorable and just great all-around. Everything in this episode works, as from start to finish, everything is near-perfect. While I wouldn't call the whole pairing the best of the whole show (as I've come to be bored of KKTV), this episode paired with KKTV easily makes for a great viewing experience.

• Thanks 1