• Advertisement

CH Greenblatt Annihilates Nickelodeon After They Move Harvey Beaks To Nicktoons

Hayden

It's really nice to see C.H. Greenblatt being completely honest about his experience with Nickelodeon Animation Studio. It's also a shame that he was enforced to give Cartoon Brew an apologetic response. Seeing a cartoon getting pushed over to Nicktoons is utterly the first thing I'd expect when Nickelodeon introduces a new show, because for every newer show since around 8 years ago, they end up in the same kind of life cycle. I mean, I'm a huge fan of SpongeBob, always will be, and I even have a bit of a soft spot towards Nick, but the more I have to deal with stuff like this, the more I'm just tired of the animation studio's BS. As it seems, all they're trying to do is find their next SpongeBob, and I'm surprised they haven't thought about creating a specific marketing strategy for anything besides SB. NAS is crooked, and as long as they won't stop being dependent on SpongeBob and putting the show's success first towards the rest of their animated output, then I'm simply going to keep giving out the same ol' complaints I've had with the studio for a long time.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 3

Finally some big name calling out Nick on this. It's a shame to see networks like Nick and I think Disney Channel (correct me if I'm wrong because I don't watch this channel really) move all their animated stuff to their sister networks so often. Their networks could be continuously in line with Cartoon Network but they blow it. Granted I rarely ever turn on my TV anymore or usually don't care about what's on it, it's still a sad thing to witness.

• Like 4

This didn't surprise me at all, consisering Nick airing HB so less but it's so great that he was honest about it. I have to agree becauss HB is my fav Nickelodeon show atm (although still need to catch up) and Nick not giving the show a chance angers me. I'll miss this show when it ends but at least the show is gonna end with him putting all of his emotion in the series finale.

• Like 3

C.H has gotten fucked over pretty much non-stop since he created Chowder, and I feel bad for him. He's already burnt hella bridges over at CN over the same thing, and I'm starting to feel like he might not ever catch a break at this point. 

It sucks when you want to make something great but no one believes in it enough. 

• Like 4

This honestly reminds me a lot of what happened to The Mighty B when Nickelodeon decided to end it abruptly too.  It always sucks to see a show that you pour all of your heart and soul into get screwed over so royally.

I feel awful about CH's experience with Nickelodeon and he has every right to be pissed off, but at the same time, he is risking career suicide by being as vocal as he is right now.  As Nugs previously stated, he's already burned bridges with Cartoon Network and is doing the same right now refusing to work with Nickelodeon ever again.  Who's to say that any other network will be willing to give CH another chance knowing how he reacts to if you do him wrong?  Eventually you will run out of chances as studios see how you unprofessionally talk about your previous employers.

As talented as he is, it's hard to see CH getting another chance on a major animated studio.

• Like 3

Again, it's sad to see the show get unfair treatment and stuff. As for finding their next big hit, Nickelodeon just needs to be more patient. As for a couple of seasons, I thought SpongeBob was already a hit by it's second or third season?

It's not the end of the world for CH as maybe another channel can pick him his new, eventual ideas instead.

• Like 1

If Nick is really trying to find the next SpongeBob, they're only setting themselves up for disappointment. The sustained success SpongeBob has had is something that can't be easily duplicated. In today's cable landscape, it's pretty much impossible. I'm surprised that Nick is throwing Harvey to the wolves, as its ratings have been relatively decent since the slump of mid-last year. Heck, the latest episode with numbers I could was in the top 20 cable broadcasts. That seems deserving of one or two more seasons, though I'm sure social media engagement and all of the other things my coworker interning at Viacom currently deals with played a role in their decision. Still sucks, though.

• Like 1

I may not like Harvey Beaks, but even this is too much. Sad that Nickelodeon doesn't believe any show that isn't SpongeBob could be successful. I had thought they already made the Fairly Oddparents into their next SpongeBob since they won't let the show go and keep adding pointless characters. Other than that, I had thought Nick was doing a great job recently since they stopped turning to the internet for cartoons and were taking the ideas from good animators like Greenblatt and Savino. But now I'm starting to worry about the Loud House. It's becoming as bad as Disney Channel after they screwed Wander Over Yonder over. Nick is still kidding themselves by thinking they can find a show that'll make millions like SpongeBob. Heck weren't they originally gonna cancel SpongeBob after just three seasons, but stopped after the success of the Movie? Correct me if I'm wrong. but I agree that it's true cartoons are always immediate successes.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 9:51 AM, Clappy said:

This honestly reminds me a lot of what happened to The Mighty B when Nickelodeon decided to end it abruptly too.  It always sucks to see a show that you pour all of your heart and soul into get screwed over so royally.

I feel awful about CH's experience with Nickelodeon and he has every right to be pissed off, but at the same time, he is risking career suicide by being as vocal as he is right now.  As Nugs previously stated, he's already burned bridges with Cartoon Network and is doing the same right now refusing to work with Nickelodeon ever again.  Who's to say that any other network will be willing to give CH another chance knowing how he reacts to if you do him wrong?  Eventually you will run out of chances as studios see how you unprofessionally talk about your previous employers.

As talented as he is, it's hard to see CH getting another chance on a major animated studio.

I think being vocal about how Nickelodeon treats animated properties is something that needs to happen more often, though. He's risking a lot by doing this, and yeah, maybe Disney or Adult Swim or Fox or Netflix or whoever is gonna see this and think "well, okay, if we screw this guy over he's gonna put us on blast" and not give him a job (alternatively, they can also go "hey, we're not gonna dick you over, so come work for us"), but I think the important thing happening is that he's giving a first-hand account to up-and-coming creators (or even creators that are currently working and looking for a network to pitch to, or hell, maybe no one he's talking to are creators and they're just consumers - telling consumers to not buy into this brand can still help). It's always been super obvious that entertainment is, unfortunately, a huge business being run by smarmy people in equally smarmy suits with no creative bone in their body, but if they're not letting a passion project flourish then it's important to get creators to come out and say "these people don't understand what they're doing, they're not running the company successfully, they're killing creativity and passion and anything new because they think that just because they're established they're allowed to be impatient, and they're terrible to work under because they force you to do X, Y, and Z and they'll jerk you and your show around by doing A, B, and C". 

Creators and creative people have to stick together and stand up for their creations and what they believe in, and I know if I was hired under false pretenses and then had my creation diminished and swept under the rug because my bosses were impatient or just didn't understand why whatever I was doing wasn't "clicking" with an audience after, like, seven 11-minute episodes spread out over the course of a year, then I'd do the exact same thing as a warning for other creators to not trust that network. It may be career suicide, but if publicly calling out a network is going to deter someone else from going to them and falling into the exact same trap, then that's already going to help in the long run, because then that potential creator will go somewhere else that'll actually treat their project with respect and give them a fair shot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terminoob said:

I think being vocal about how Nickelodeon treats animated properties is something that needs to happen more often, though. He's risking a lot by doing this, and yeah, maybe Disney or Adult Swim or Fox or Netflix or whoever is gonna see this and think "well, okay, if we screw this guy over he's gonna put us on blast" and not give him a job (alternatively, they can also go "hey, we're not gonna dick you over, so come work for us"), but I think the important thing happening is that he's giving a first-hand account to up-and-coming creators (or even creators that are currently working and looking for a network to pitch to, or hell, maybe no one he's talking to are creators and they're just consumers - telling consumers to not buy into this brand can still help). It's always been super obvious that entertainment is, unfortunately, a huge business being run by smarmy people in equally smarmy suits with no creative bone in their body, but if they're not letting a passion project flourish then it's important to get creators to come out and say "these people don't understand what they're doing, they're not running the company successfully, they're killing creativity and passion and anything new because they think that just because they're established they're allowed to be impatient, and they're terrible to work under because they force you to do X, Y, and Z and they'll jerk you and your show around by doing A, B, and C". 

Creators and creative people have to stick together and stand up for their creations and what they believe in, and I know if I was hired under false pretenses and then had my creation diminished and swept under the rug because my bosses were impatient or just didn't understand why whatever I was doing wasn't "clicking" with an audience after, like, seven 11-minute episodes spread out over the course of a year, then I'd do the exact same thing as a warning for other creators to not trust that network. It may be career suicide, but if publicly calling out a network is going to deter someone else from going to them and falling into the exact same trap, then that's already going to help in the long run, because then that potential creator will go somewhere else that'll actually treat their project with respect and give them a fair shot.

You make a lot of sense as always and I agree with your points, but the one thing you are leaving out is that this is his SECOND company CH is being outspoken towards.  I would totally give him another chance if he only put a network on blast once, but this is his second company he's done this towards.  You know the old saying fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  I wouldn't blame any of the networks at all if they pass on CH knowing what could potentially happen if they do him wrong because this isn't a one time thing.

• Like 1