• Advertisement

Rocko's Modern Life is Back

Jane

Hey, does anyone remember when this was supposed to come out last year?

Due to excessive changes in Nickelodeon's executive staff (and I believe this is a consequence from Cyma stepping down from her position), Static Cling's release is indefinitely on hold until we get another official word from Nick. It's even more depressing to think that Enter the Florpus! will end up being delayed as well for that same reason.

And I thought that even if Nickelodeon goes through all these management changes, the company would be giving Static Cling their full support because Rocko = Stephen Hillenburg = SpongeBob = "O U R     M A R V E L  U N I V E R S E "

Edited by The Guy in the Sweater
  • Sad 3

"A lot of executive changes have taken place since we made it."

Good. Freaking. God.

This is 100% what we've suspected was happening with Wonderful Sponge. This has confirmed to be what's happening with Static Cling. It's safe to bet this is gonna happen with Enter the Florpus as well. There's not even a confirmed release date on the TV movie anymore. We're now getting SpongeBob spinoffs no one asked for and a godawful looking movie in the future.

We can't trust Nickelodeon. That's already a known fact, but Jesus Christ. Everyone was eagerly awaiting this movie announced two and a half years ago, and outside of a single trailer and this post we've gotten nothing. This has so much potential but it has the possibility of being completely changed or maybe being scrapped as a whole through "executive changes".

Fuck this network, man.

• Sad 3

Welp, looks like we're getting it eventually, but Viacom and Nickelodeon have different plans for it:

https://news.avclub.com/netflix-to-run-new-rockos-modern-life-and-invader-zim-m-1834694921

If it's going to be a new thing where Nickelodeon will move anything that they'll refuse to air to Netflix (and keep in mind, this isn't the first time as Nick had constantly delayed Pinky Malinky before it they decided to send it off to Netflix), then I guess that means Nick will probably have no use for the Nicktoons channel anymore.

Edited by Steel Sponge

Oh my GOD!!!! Ralph Bighead is coming back!!!! I wonder if Joe Murray will be voicing him again, like he did in the series? I suddenly have a lot more faith in this special than I did before (which was already a lot!)

Enough said, true believers! ;)

• Happy 1

Made time to watch this earlier today and I thought it was great, I loved it! I felt like a kid again for 45 minutes. They did a pretty awesome job with the social commentary and adapting all the wonders of today's modern life within the parameters of the show's world. Especially loved them taking the piss out of executive meddling with the whole Conglom-O rebooting The Fatheads plot thread. Vintage Rocko right there. The whole Rachel (Ralph) coming out as transgender story arc was portrayed with plenty of grace. I know there might be a lot of people out there who'll probably get up in arms over it and be completely against it, but I felt it was a wrinkle to the character that felt completely natural and made sense given Rachel's history in the older episodes. Not at all just tacked on in there for the sake of being woke or virtue signaling. And the obvious reaction this revalation gets out of Mr. Bighead is pretty true to life, which really heightens this latest rift between the two.

The special ends on a pretty good moral high note that change is inevitable and it's best to move forward along with it and not just cling to the past, a lesson that applies to both Rocko and Bighead's situations pretty suitingly. Rocko's whole arc makes for pretty good meta commentary on the trend of bringing back old things from the past (ie this special itself) and just, like, this nostalgia culture we've been seeing in recent years in general. Y'know, more vintage Rocko's Modern Life. The humor and wit was definitely on point as ever, I especially got some good laughs from Spunky watching one of those 10 hour youtube videos of mops and just going on a shopping spree, buying a bunch of mops off the internet and causing the delivery guy to question Rocko's motives for all these mops. All the cameos and callbacks were just sublime as a longtime fan of the show. Quite the Easter egg hunt. It probably could've benefitted from a slightly longer runtime, but it ain't that much of a big. Static Cling ends in a way that the door is potentially open for more (which probably ain't even possible anymore), but it can also serve as a very satisfying conclusion for the residents of O-Town. The latter of which is probably the ideal option given the ground that Static Cling covers. Definitely worth the watch for fans of the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Wow 1

THAT WAS SO GOOD. Reminded me of old Nick specials in terms of quality. Love the change is good and natural message, one that most people miss today. The same animation mixed with HD was wonderful. You can really tell Murray put his heart into it to make it so well written and true to the series. Love that GLAAD teamed up with Nick/Murray to help get the character of Rachel (who I always loved in general watching the original series) accurate. Love all the in-jokes about the overwhelming mess of 90’s nostalgia in general for the past 9 years or so. She’s adorable, they’re all adorable, filbert’s KIDSSS. end,

• Like 3

I really liked this movie. It stayed true to Rocko's tone and style, while it delivering such an excellent social commentary that needed to be heard today. Morals of this episode was strong, I appreciated that the show told us to adapt to the change and not be stuck in the past. It also delivered an on point meta commentary about how shows are getting revival or reboot, this was exactly what happened with special. The humor was funny, only a few loud and fart jokes didn't do much for me but rest were hit after hit. Glad the movie made some raunchy and weird comedy like the show did. Ralph becoming Rachel but that effecting Mr. Bighead badly, albeit eventually he accepting it was the highlight of the special and I applaud to the cast and crew for doing such a respectful transgender storyline in a kids entertainment. Filbert reuniting with Dr. Hook and their kids was so emotional and Rachel taking her parents on a journey together was so satisfying. Rocko's arc of finally letting go of the past was done perfectly. Lastly the animation was so impressive and I couldn't have been more happy with how it looked great in HD. If there's one major flaw I have with this movie was that the ending was somewhat rushed but that's about it. Oh and Camp Lazlo reference with the monkey that cleans up an elephant was amazing. If you are a big Rocko's Modern Life fan, you'll totally dig this special, it was so worth to wait after 2 years of its first trailer arrived.

Grade: A-

• Like 2

So, I saw this special for the first time earlier today. GREAT special!!!! :D Great, GREAT special!!!! :cool: It tackled a lot of things, and very well, especially considering the special's 45 minute run time! A lot of meta-commentary and a lot of Easter Egg references to past episodes included here, and even a small reference to "Camp Lazlo", to! And one thing this special shows, is that Joe Murray has come a LONG way from the old days of "Rocko's Modern Life", where it was once OKAY to HATE someone, just for saying that "They like rainbows", to Joe Murray HIMSELF voicing RACHEL Bighead, and not only that, but the whole matter being handled in a tasteful and sensitive way, goes to show that Joe Murray himself, has also changed as a person! Not to mention, this special wasn't afraid to throw in a few "Take That, Us!", and "Take That, Audience!"; that took a lot of guts on Joe Murray's part, and I just felt like everything really worked in the special, and worked AMAZINGLY well! The Special was definitely worth the 23 year wait, and I hope that "Enter the Florpus" turns out good, as well! I give this Special a perfect 10 out of 10! Enough said, true believers! ;)

• Like 1