• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2016 Edition!

1 hour ago, 4EverGreen said:

"Something Smells, Pizza Delivery, Welcome to the Chum Bucket, Nasty Patty, The Algae's Always Greener, Krusty Towers, Snowball Effect, The Graveyard Shift, Idiot Box," and "Dying For Pie" definitely deserve to be on this list, although I am a little surprised at how high "Dying For Pie" ended up being ranked. I just think that the subject of dying is something that shouldn't be taken lightly, even in a cartoon like "Spongebob Squarepants," in my honest opinion.

It was a slapstick concept such as a pie bomb, you stick in the mud.

I don't think the demographic should be exposed to nude cartoon characters.

2 minutes ago, Hayden said:

It was a slapstick concept such as a pie bomb, you stick in the mud.

Are you saying that BOMBS are funny?! :ph34r: Also, I don't see how I can POSSIBLY be a stick in the mud. :rolleyes: If I was, would I use ALL of these funny emoticons? :okay:

5 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

Are you saying that BOMBS are funny?! :ph34r: Also, I don't see how I can POSSIBLY be a stick in the mud. :rolleyes: If I was, would I use ALL of these funny emoticons? :okay:

Bombs are hilarious. Just look at all the bombs you produce whenever you write a season of your fanfic.

Emoticons are just a cheap tactic to make weak posters think they're stronger.

15 hours ago, Hayden said:

Bombs are hilarious. Just look at all the bombs you produce whenever you write a season of your fanfic.

Emoticons are just a cheap tactic to make weak posters think they're stronger.

I don't have to use emoticons, I just chose to, but just to prove you wrong, here is a post without ANY emoticons whatsoever.

Since I don't know if More is coming back to finish this, Trophy has given me the final five episode information. I've decided to get it over with and just post them for you guys. No summaries or commentary from me (If anybody provided any to More, then I don't have them, sorry). You are welcome to post your thoughts in the replies. Now, here are the final five episodes for SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2016 Edition, you may or may not be surprised by the order...

5. Band Geeks

8jyTZMM.jpg?1 

192 points. 11 out of 21 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - crushingmayhem)

4. Christmas Who?

Spongebob-picspam-Christmas-Who-spongebo 

198 points. 12 out of 21 lists. (Highest Ranking: 3 #4's - Wumbo, Fa & More)

3. The Camping Episode

latest?cb=20130809231729

218 points. 12 out of 21 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - Clappy)

2. Chocolate With Nuts

Screen-925571.jpg 

235 points. 13 out of 21 lists. (Highest Ranking: 2 #1's - SOF & Honest Slug)

1. Krusty Krab Training Video

4TgY6J9.png  

240 points. 12 out of 21 lists. (Highest Ranking: 4 #1's - More, Fa, JCM & squidwardisawesome22)

Thanks to all who participated, even if this is a lazy (and late) way to end it, at least you finally got to see the final five.

Edited by Hungry Larry
  • Like 7

wow I'm so shocked that KKTV won. Albeit I think Wet Painters is funnier, KKTV has the most clever plot in the show's history.

I actually made a comment on Band Geeks but More didn't update the list, so here it is.

Spoiler

Well, now it's time for me to review an episode that has been considered as "the most overrated episode" by so many people. Granted they do have a point, "Sweet Victory" song ocershadowed rest of the ep and it has been called the best episode due to that climax and even though I think "Sweet Victory" scene paid off, I love rest of the episode just as much as Sweet Victory. Although, I don't think it's the funniest episode ever and usually the best sb episodes are the ones that are the most hilarious but I give this episode props for it's storytelling. Another reason this episode seems to be criticized that people only like this episode for Squidward winning and yes, Squidward is a lazyass and a rude person to his neighbour and citizens of Bikini Bottom but why we should root for him? Unlike most episode with Squidward being a lazyass, he actually wants to achieve something. He has a goal and he really tries his best to accomplish something. Why? Because he is miserable, he is unsuccessful, he has to put up with his neighbours and seeing someone that is just like him but sucessful (Squilliam) and him rubbing it on Squidward's face makes us root for this guy. Squidward may be a jerk but he's the most relatable character imho because we don't wanna be Squidward forever, we do struggle with thinking of our future, we feel miserable whenever something bad happens to us and what we will left behind if we die. Maybe he's not relatable to those who are happy with their lives but at least I can relate to him in this episode and that's why i like this episode so much. Yes, I also love it for Squidward winning but because of what I've said here, I really wanted Squidward to win. And it was just heartbreaking to see him actually telling people that he really wanted to be good at something and they ruined it with their dumb fight. SpongeBob's characterization is a plus after Squidward's speech. He actually felt bad for Squidward and convinced people to fix this. This might be my favorite moment from SpongeBob and the definition of why he's a great character. And finally when the climax happened, it happened with a bang. It was such an unexpected, satisfying and epic finale that they could have given to us and although perhaps it's the biggest issue here since it overshadowed rest of the episode and people started to consider this as "the most overrated episode ever" but still the climax was worth it and made me love this episode even more. And finally, it did have a lot of funny moments. The begining with vets visiting Squidward, "instruments of torture", Sandy kicking Patrick's ass, Squidward making a good death joke, that explosion scene and that fight around the band, which was the funniest scene in this episode and one of the funniest scenes as a whole. To sum up, yes, I can see why many people would consider this as overrated (although I think it has gotten to point when this episode stopped being overrated for being called "overrated" by many people), I can see why people praised this episode when it aired but I think it has more to love than just "Sweet Victory".

Sorry about bumping this, but I'm really sorry I couldn't manage to finish the list on time. I was planning to give it to Trophy again, but I had a lot of stuff going on at once between a summer job, junior year of high school starting, and a false eviction letter from the apartment meaning I had to suddenly help move to another house, but I do hope you enjoyed this list regardless of how anticlimactic the ending was. (And before you ask--there's not going to be a 2017 list. Things are even busier and this list didn't have much interest to begin with)

But to give a more satisfying conclusion, here are some honorable mentions that never managed to get released.

Honorable Mentions:

"No Free Rides" (49 Points, 3 Lists)

"Club SpongeBob" (47 Points, 5 Lists)

"Jellyfish Jam" (47 Points, 3 Lists)

"Missing Identity" (43 Points, 5 Lists)

"Walking Small" (42 Points, 3 Lists)

"The Fry Cook Games" (40 Points, 2 Lists)

"Skill Crane" (39 Points, 4 Lists)

"My Pretty Seahorse" (38 Points, 2 Lists)

"Dumped" (38 Points, 2 Lists)

"The Secret Box" (37 Points, 4 Lists) (This was my #6 Slot)

"Aargh!" (37 Points, 4 Lists)

"Texas" (37 Points, 3 Lists)

"Truth or Square" (37 Points, 2 Lists)

Edited by More
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Katniss said:

Okay, which one of y'all had Truth or Square on your list? Now I'm curious :P 

Take this for reference as for why this guy has Truth or Square on his list:

On 6/12/2016 at 0:38 PM, Steel Sponge said:

It may not feel like it, but I absolutely enjoyed Truth or Square as some love letter to the fans who enjoyed the show during its 10 year run. The establishment of being a 10 year anniversary special falls flat for being "a bottle episode," but....so what of it? It doesn't have to be incredulously story-driven, it doesn't have to reveal the secret formula to be an excellent episode for a lackluster season that was Season 6. It's not the best episode, not even by default, but let me tell you guys what defines a "special SpongeBob episode" to me. SpongeBob has had a bad track record with trying to impress its audience with a 30 minute/1 hour special, but Truth or Square was different compared to specials like "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob," "The Great Patty Caper," and "Clash of Triton" to name. A good SpongeBob special would be out of the ordinary and still have its charm and wit to impress me. It pretty much did, for me. The main storyline for Truth or Square is an episode where Plankton tries to steal the formula stretched into 30 minutes, but why don't I care about that? It still impressed me for what it had. In terms of some of the humor, some of the jokes were pretty funny and entertaining. As for the flashbacks themselves, I've got to know how SpongeBob met Squidward, I've got to see how the writers established SpongeBob's love for Krabby Patties, I've got to see some form of ship tease for the fake wedding between SpongeBob and Sandy, and those things were at least worth getting exciting for in my perspective, because the writers at least put out some character establishment. Heck, seeing SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Patrick form a bond/conversation through their own thoughts while in the air ducts kinda makes the episode feel like it's more than just a "bottle episode." Then you've got the Patchy segments, which is easily the least impressive, but still....I even actually got something worth from that. I got to see some different perspectives of SpongeBob in general with the alternate theme songs and the 20s style animation sketch, which were at least amusing to see. It's filled with celebrity cameos, which is kinda unsurprising for a milestone celebration, but was it worth watching? It was amusing only to see a select few tiny segments from Will Ferrell, Robin Williams, and Craig Ferguson, as well as P!nk performing "Scurvy," and as long as the episode is still focused on the plotline for Patchy, I don't see much of a problem with the celebrity cameos. Sure, Truth or Square doesn't have a stable identity when it's an episode about: Patchy/Krusty Krab's anniversary/the secret formula/flashbacks, but whatever it is, it mostly matters that the episode plays the role being part of the show's milestone celebration, so I honestly don't mind with the episode giving us a variety of different gimmicks over the main storyline. It's not excellent as it should be, but it's not really godly boring/nothing special, and it's at least enjoyable and had some things to offer in order for me to define it as a "special episode."