• Advertisement

196b. Married to Money

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• 5/5 Dollars: She's everything I've ever wanted in a woman!
    • 4/5 Dollars: Money makes the world go round and makes me heart go pound!
    • 3/5 Dollars: How about inviting me into your inside joke?
    • 2/5 Dollars: Are you kissing a locket with a woman's picture in it?
    • 1/5 Dollars: Who knew Eugene was so light on his crab legs?!

9kg83K7.jpg 

Premieres

Tuesday, May 3rd @ 5:30pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, May 7th @ 9:45am ET/PT

Plot:

After following Plankton's advice, Mr. Krabs decides to marry the only thing he has ever loved - money.

Clips:

1.) http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/spongebob-squarepants-196b-clip.html

Edited by jjsthekid

Wow... I hate to overreact, but this might be up there with "Patrick! The Game" as not only one of my favorites of Season 9, but of the show entirely. I loved it. The humor's fast-paced and top-notch. Some of my favorites were the return of the sea bears as part of Plankton's plan only to have SpongeBob tickle them out, and I loved that we kept seeing Plankton's ridiculous torment when disguised, from having to heave an exaggerated amount of spaghetti during a classic date scene and that we had to see him struggle to small talk with Pearl by mistaking barnacles as shoes. And when Mr. KKrabs had to sturggle to pick flowers off of women to leave them crying... it's mean but it's so fast-paced. Mr. Krabs himself was also a highlight in that we were finally shown his cheapness is not his only attribute, and that he has a passionate, emotional outlook and really see how happy as a clam he is when opening up to love. I get that it's a essentially a "the one" parody wrapped in money. It's completely ridiculous how realistically Mr. Krabs took such a silly concept as seriously as he did. I even has some nice content to show that the show's atmosphere's getting more consistent yet so unpredictable, like the nod to Truth or Square's "setting up" scene done even more colorfully, and even confirmation that Mr. Krabs did have a wife he misses, which is great that we can finally interpret that beyond pure fanfiction.

Giving this a solid 9.5/10. Imitation Krab's is still the better episode with foundation on the "Plankton disguises as something to get the forumla" as it was a funnier still. but that's not to deny credit.

• Like 1

This episode was a lot better than I thought it would be. I liked the return of the sea bears, and a lot of the jokes were funny, especially Mr. Krabs's reaction to SpongeBob's dollar innuendo. I also liked that Pearl was more opposed to having a stepmom than Krabs marrying a wad of cash, but it was funnier to see Plankton trying to bond with her. I actually thought Mr. Krabs was really sweet with how romantic he was being with his one true love, kinda shows that he has hidden depths with how lonely he is and he tries to fill the void with money.

There we go, after yesterday's phoning it in, they went back to an almost classic feel with this one.

While Spongebob not being afraid of the sea bears was weird non-continuity, the episode hit a lot of the right notes.

It helps that Plankton was involved and all the KrabsxPlankton teasing.

This is how you write Mr. Krabs.

• Like 1

Title card music lol. 

*ahem*

SEA BEARS!!!! (wow they've really been hammering in cameos lately)

why didn't SB tell them to have an anti-sear bear circle around the KK earlier

Oh hey money does talk hurhur. Plankton on a romantic date with Krabs eh. "I may have found you a new mom." really sounds like Mrs. Krabs passes away after all. Pearl in this is how it's like having parents date though and I actually liked how Plankton played along in it. I can't believe he went as far as dealing with marrying him, this episode is great. The wedding outfits and stuff at the KK was kinda nice to look at. Oh hey, this harp music was the same one used in the Truth or Square wedding scene, go figure. 

OH SHOOT THEY'RE GOING TO A HONEYMOON HOTEL

I'M EXITING OUT THIS VIDEO NOW

I JUST SNORTED WHEN THEY ENTERED IN THE BEDROOM

AND ROSE PEDALS

"ya felt nothing?"

you know technically they're still married but I digress  

And I thought Mr. Krabs' personality was pretty sweet and stuff even if he was literally marrying money. I felt bad for him at the end too.

• Like 3

This was actually good. I'm surprised for this one, while I was disappointed with The Fishbowl. I thought it'd suck because Mr. Krabs marrying a money because Plankton said so felt like a very stupid Penny Foolish-esque premise to me but they really made the execution better. I'd find very stupid If Mr. Krabs married to money but instead, they made an alive money (even if it turned out to be a robot). And top of that, you actually feel bad for Mr. Krabs and care for him, he felt very lonely, he wanted someone to spend his time with. They made Mr. Krabs a more relatable character, instead of just a money obsessed character. And how it resolved was pretty nice, yeah it ended on a sad note but at least it didn't come off as mean-spirited. The ending was so natural because that hit Mr. Krabs very hard, he felt lonely again. Although the ending joke kind of ruined the mood but I could understand that since this isn't a drama show and the joke was pretty funny to me. And lastly I wanna mention is that Plankton's disguise. I actually didn't think of that clearly until JerrytheSnail from SBM mentioned it. Unlike Plankton's other disguises, this felt more realistic and more believeable to everyone and it was harder for Mr. Krabs to realize she was just a robot. Also this was one of those times that Plankton was very close to the formula, he was pretty patient about it and he almost got it. Overall, this was an improvement over The Fishbowl.

Grade: A-

Pretty good episode, and that's surprising as I thought I would've dreaded an episode with a concept like this, but they somehow made it work. I liked the callback with the Sea Bear attack in the beginning (they seem to be going for more continuity lately), and Plankton's scheme here was pretty clever, even if it was predictable and did copy the Imitation Krabs formula again, it was still miles better than the ones in Season 7. Mr. Krabs was handled pretty well in it, and I sympathized with him a bit at the end. This is minor, but I also liked the little drama with Pearl and "Cashina", and it surprised me they mentioned Pearl's mother, as they've never mentioned Pearl's parents before in the show, so that was a nice little touch. I also lol'd at the ending with the hotel worker. Overall, definitely one of the better Mr. Krabs centric episodes as of late. It was a ridiculous concept, but it worked, and Mr. Krabs was pretty likable in it.

Grade: B+

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 1

I have to say that I learn to appreciate Plankton episodes more as they come less often. Heck, this was only the second Plankton episode during season 9.2 (the first one being Company Picknick). Also, I was really afraid that, at the revealing scene, where Krabs was about to hand over the secret recipe, it would turn out that Krabs knew all along and that he was aware of Plantons scheme all the time. I'm SO glad his feelings were legit. Elsewise everything the episode had accomplished so far would be ruined. Glad they didn't go for a cheap ending but did go for a semi-sad ending.

Edited by BeachBob95
Grammar error

You guys all remember the days where Mr. Krabs was an awkward money-grubbing, slave-driving old guy with no other character facets, like Grunkle Stan with no personality. The days where plots would revolve around him and his love of money, where nothing else mattered to him and the 11 minutes were an unfunny bout of character derailment that aggravated everyone involved. The days when the plots for Imitation Krabs and "Plankton!" were ripped off again and again in increasingly stupid ways that almost make you wish the original episodes didn't exist. 

I don't think those days are entirely behind us, but I think they're definitely a thing of the past. 

To be fair, this episode does have a groaner of a plot, and if this was 2010, I don't think the execution would've worked so well, but it's 2016, and everything has taken such an upturn that the episode turns out better than what I think may have been possible even 10 years ago. 

Da Good

-Sea Bears omg

-Sherm Cohen's influence is all over this episode and his supervision over Lynne Naylor's boards is great. Like, God:

25Z7j74.png 

- Mr. Krabs being an actual human and them addressing that Pearl doesn't have a mother is just like wow I didn't think we'd ever get to this point 

-"Name's Krabs."

-the return of the Fancy restaurant!

- I haven't seen Mall Girl Pearl yet, but this may be the first time she's been a stereotypical non-annoying teenager in years. Hats off to the writers. 

-like I said, the plot is very worrying, because it combines what is basically Imitation Krabs and Penny Foolish with elements of the worst Plankton episodes, but it turns out so much better. Cashina is really her own character 
-"You wouldn't understand! From now on, I'm going to be unintelligible at all times! BLEH BLAH BLEE BLA BLOO!" That's paraphrased but I laughed at that line. 
-I got Truth or Square vibes when SpongeBob decorated the Krusty Krab for that adorable wedding. Love it when they decorate that place.
-love the music track when SpongeBob makes the bouquet ❤️
-The hotel was a wonderful change of scenery. 
-Mr. Lawrence disguising Plankton's voice was hysterical and great voice acting.

The only downside might be that there wasn't a song, and that's not even a real criticism, but I'm okay with that since everything else was so great. 9/10. Classic.
Edited by Grim
  • Like 1

The fact alone that I want to keep rewatching this (well mostly for the romantic krabs and plankton hotel scene bc that kills me) is amazing. I'm sorta still stunned they beat around the bush with Mr. Krabs' former wife. I mean that's probably as close as we'll ever get but still.

"New mother".

"I've been alone for a long time."

A very well done episode, that had some good humor and was plot-wise very well done as it was actually emotional and that's a hard feat to pull off, but this did it well. I did enjoy this episode a lot. I actually felt bad for Mr. Krabs at the end. 10/10

(Also, I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but the hotel Krabs and Cashina stayed at "Honeymoon Hotel" was also the name of a 1934 cartoon that is the first color Looney Tune ever made. However, that cartoon sucked. Just an observation my weird Golden Age Cartoon mind popped out)

In contrast to the episode it's paired with, Married to Money manages to take a predictable plot we've seen before and go places with it. While I don't feel the writing here is exactly top-notch, it gets the job done and gives us an interesting episode with good visuals and even some heart to it, a factor otherwise missing for the past few seasons. While I do feel there are some issues here and there (as, again, the plot is kind of predictable anyways considering how this is another "Plankton plots to steal the formula by disguising himself as someone else" plot), it goes to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks if you put in the effort.

7/10 (GOOD episode)