• Advertisement

193a. Sanctuary!

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of this episode?

• 5/5 Stars: Thanks snail guy!
    • 4/5 Stars: I promise, the snails will be happy.
    • 3/5 Stars: I'm allergic to snails!
    • 2/5 Stars: Just how many snails do you have?!
    • 1/5 Stars: No no you dirty boy, you need a bath...

I'll post my thoughts later as I was too distracted looking at the TV far away from me and tweeting this live on Twitter, but here are some facts about this episode:

* First post-sequel episode not written by Jack Pendarvis (well, it's about time); also the first one to show Kyle McCulloch's sole writing credit. This is his 5th one to air.

* First post-sequel episode to have a guest star.

* 4th episode episode storyboard by Fred Osmond.

* The second preview obviously spoiled the ending. :/

* I was right. Squidward is indeed allergic to snails.

* Second post-sequel episode to use "you're Nice" after Squid Plus One

I'll just tell you that this episode was pretty good. Not perfect since Squidward's swollen face was gross and the pacing felt fast, but it was still enjoyable. The music choice was balance very well as it's a blend of old, new, and APM and original. Half of the House of horror were played and they brought back Frankenstein's Niece. Although they need to slow down on the Jeremy Wakefield tracks (his and Sage Guyon's tracks are still overused).

"snail in his garden" ha I like the real life reference and Donny was really weird, maybe it's some SB staff member. Mr. Krabs falling for SB was great, why does he fall in love whenever sb or patrick are in drag. Also they kinda shoehorned the KK in, but it actually was pretty funny suprisingly. And wow I legit actually really like this, the idea of sb becoming a cat or snail lady is interesting. The hutchback references and of course bob baker's roll was perfect.

okay it did go fast, but for s9 standards it was good, like I'm kinda shocked the beginning wasn't super slow for once. Though I feel like I need to rewatch it because I didn't see the beginning.

So far, the second half of season 9 has been incredible. I loved just about every single episode of post-SOoW except for Executive Treatment, which was still really good. With Sanctuary, it's unarguably my least favorite so far.

Now it's not bad exactly, we're probably gonna have to be pretty patient for a genuinely bad episode of this kind, but it's easily the most flawed. First of all, the obvious flaw is the pacing. Look, people say that the pacing in post-SOoW is really off, but I don't see it at all. Sure, it can be a tad shaky in some episodes, but it was never bothersome for me. In this episode tho, right at the beginning, the breakneck-fast pacing hit me like a brick. SpongeBob started a sanctuary in like the first minute of an episode. Yeah, not the best use of time...

Honestly, that might be my only problem with the episode, but it's a pretty damn big problem, especially the first half of the episode which zooms by you where you feel it happened in only two minutes. One thing worth noting is that this episode in general is weird. SpongeBob turns into an outright cat lady with all the snails in his house. It actually makes some good jokes, and SpongeBob's cat lady persona is pretty freaking funny. Also, I sadly don't have a picture right now, but you guys who watched it hopefully remember that one snail with the human face. Out of all post-SOoW episodes, this is the one that bothered me the most, but it still had some pretty good jokes and a very heartwarming ending.

B-/C+

Another great episode. This one had almost no flawes in my opinion and there were no awkward moments, although I feel like the Bob Barker character could have been a little funnier. This episodes reminds me of a good season four episode, especially because of the animation. Squidward and Patrick were very funny in this one and I hope the writers can keep this up! If only the episodes could be a little more funny or a little more epic, I would say the serie's back on track.

8,5/10

The only problem was the pacing near the end, it could've definitely used another minute or two. Also I like how it portrayed the whole "crazy cat lady" stereotype there, it was pretty interesting as I like this creepy kinda stuff, like Nasty Patty, and Squidward in Clarinetland. 8.5/10 episode for me.

Also Senor Poopus x Gary forever! 

Pretty good episode, but pretty surprised by how quickly the episode seemed to whiz by. Also, since when has Squidward been ALLERGIC to snails?!!! He briefly owned Snellie for a time, and he didn't seem allergic then. Heck, Squidward even WAS a snail in "I was a Teenage Gary" and he wasn't allergic to himself! The writers better not be getting LAZY and just resorting to: "Oh, let's just abuse Squidward because Squidward in pain automatically equals funny!" F.Y.I.: No, it DOESN'T automatically equal funny! :rolleyes: But other than that little nitpick, pretty good episode, especially with Bob Barker's guest appearance. I'd give it a 9.5/10.

Pretty good episode, but pretty surprised by how quickly the episode seemed to whiz by. Also, since when has Squidward been ALLERGIC to snails?!!! He briefly owned Snellie for a time, and he didn't seem allergic then. Heck, Squidward even WAS a snail in "I was a Teenage Gary" and he wasn't allergic to himself! The writers better not be getting LAZY and just resorting to: "Oh, let's just abuse Squidward because Squidward in pain automatically equals funny!" F.Y.I.: No, it DOESN'T automatically equal funny! :rolleyes: But other than that little nitpick, pretty good episode, especially with Bob Barker's guest appearance. I'd give it a 9.5/10.

Or maybe SpongeBob is a cartoon and isn't intended to have continuity...

I thought this episode was airing this week, so I missed it. But I finally saw it and I really enjoyed it. SpongeBob becoming a crazy snail lady was funny. As well as Mr. Krabs briefly hitting on him and the Hunchback references. I was about to cry foul on Squidward having a snail allergy, but I'm glad they backed it up by Squidward explaining he can handle one, maybe two or three snails. I also thought the ending where Patrick ended up getting taken in by the snail care was funny.

This episode is a season 6 episode done right, at least to me. It used gross-out in a silly and tolerable way, it actually made me laugh. SpongeBob was creepy in this episode but it was reasonable and it wasn't too far. As for Squidward's allergies, it's not a Squidward abuse lile others said. It was an allergy and the allergy thing was barely a continuty issue but even if it was, the show has no continuty, so not important. A lot jokes were really good like Patrick as a snail and Hunchback of Notre Dome references. Up there with What's Eating Patrick and Company Picnic as my favorite season 9.2 episode. 10/10