• Advertisement

2014: Awful year for Spongebob?

Steel Sponge

EDIT: I no longer agree with all of this. Check my most recent post.

You know, some of us would be thinking, "Yeah, I get the picture. Post-movie Spongebob was where the show lost most of its luster, but I still happen to like it.  It's 2014 guys, we ought to let go of A Pal For Gary, the toenail scene, and realize that there's a batch of gold buried under its price of infamy, right?"

Also, I might as well as admit I'm being too skeptical, according to the topic title here. Before I get down to what's been going on this year for Spongebob in general, let's recap on some of the main issues from the past years while post-movie was still going on the whole time:

Spoiler

2008: Season 5 came around in 2007 and that's where people have started saying that Spongebob "jumped the shark" and where Atlantis Squarepantis once stemmed from its legacy as the worst episode ever. It was rather a minor problem compared to 2008 with the whole Great Civil Kids Choice War of 2008. Nothing else to say here. And no, I'm not going to mention that Neptune forsaken scene again.

2009: The 10th Anniversary for the sponge. The hate was apparently still strong and that was where Season 6 was regarded as the worst season ever. Now, in retrospect, Truth or Square is helmed as a letdown for a certain amount of fans/non-fans, same for Atlantis Squarepantis.

2010: 2009 has then brought us Season 7. However, 2010 is what gave us the two episodes that I would coin for the opposite of the term "sacred cow." A Pal For Gary and One Coarse Meal, in retrospect, are currently considered as the worst episodes ever, bam.

2011: The whole pre vs. post movie Spongebob controversy became much more heated during that year. This is the point where Spongebob's post-movie criticism stems from a love-hate relationship among two different groups. Some critically negative episodes include Pet Sitter Pat and Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom. 

2012: This year was when the post-movie season's infamy has been widespread just about anywhere on the internet. MoBrosStudios' Top 20 Worst countdowns would very much be the highlight of that year. The Spongebob post-movie criticism scales from bad than good.

2013: The birth of a "legend." I'll get to that shortly. Same problems as before with 2012, nothing much to say here except the critically negative responses from Spongebob, You're Fired,  and Little Yellow Book. 

Then came 2014, where we all are right now. Why am I labeling the said year as the worst for Spongebob? I just...never seen so much negative impact stemmed from 2014, and it still feels like we just can't let go of Spongebob's worst moments. 

-The popularity of "He-who-shall-not-turn-SBC-into-a-circlejerk-of-his-truly" is the one thing that pops into my head first thing. With MoBros making his decision to never review Spongebob episodes any more, Mr. Enter would eventually turn up in 2013 to replace his role. His criticism of post-movie would somehow revolutionize people's thoughts on modern-day Spongebob and perhaps the show in general moreso. Survey says that most peoples' thoughts on Spongebob on Mr. Enter's side is very much negative with fewer positive response.

-The new episode decline. The criticism it currently gets is not the only thing foul. It's an understatement to say that Spongebob is going through a drought when it comes to new episode releases, as a new episode hasn't came out since late March, which is almost 5 months from now. We're all understood that the staff is too busy with production of the second movie in order for new Spongebob episodes to come out, but still, we're experiencing a drought we haven't had since 10-11 years ago.

-The current reactions for the second movie seems like a lesser extent. While there's the SPONGEBOB IS USING CGI!! side of lukewarm response, before Sponge Out of Water's trailer came out, most reactions we're between "I don't want to see this movie now" and "I have no way of reacting to this." It's all cool now, but this made me create not one, but two rants based on the lack of interest from the middle of the pre-info.

Of course, the lack of support for post-movie Spongebob seems like another offender, but I'm not going to judge on that. We don't know what's going to happen next for the show and how its quality would turn out, but we can't hold our breaths on the third coming being an improvement. ....Yet.

Wow, I said a mouthful. We don't know when we could carry out a love revolution, but I'm not saying that could happen. With all those reasons I've listed, the Spongebob fanbase seems to be in a heavy situation for what this year is giving us. In short, I'm just sick of people talking about how hated Spongebob has became and the fact that it's still relevant. It's going to be hard to let go of all the awful moments post-movie Spongebob has done, but further on, we all ought to take a much better look at all the positives than the negatives.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 7

Really, I do feel kinda depressed about the show's current state both from the episodes and the lack there of. Yes the movie had comes first, but the plots and execution of them have felt mostly lackluster. I know the show had this back in '03/'04 but at least they had some noteworthy episodes. I see a lot of people commenting how they're excited though, when it comes down to it the plot is the only thing that will mater when everyone sees it for themselves. I'm willing to except that 2014 will be a pretty slow year for the show because it happened a decade ago and a lot of us turned out fine then. As for Mrenter, I saw one of two of his SpongeBob reviews a while ago, but it would be wise for people to make their own decisions on episodes rather than have a critic do it for them. 

So IMO, post-movie has always been inferior... it may be a bit better now but it remains IMO that it has always been GENERALLY sucky. So no, I don't think the constant post-movie hate today is still uncalled before.

I do think a lot of people who are bashing the new trailer have their reasons but I see tons of people nitpick things at the same time just to find a reason... as far as I'm concerned though, many post-movie fans actually like the movie trailer from what I've seen. Chances are, the original SB Movie trailer wasn't THAT well recieved either.

Some good points made here.

I wouldn't say awful, but it definitely hasn't been great. The drought of episodes and the perpetual feeling of not knowing what you're gonna get is unnerving, but the movie on the horizon is shaping up better and better as we get more info. It's this weird little bag of pure mixed emotions that's constantly wavering between optimistic and pessimistic in nature, and it's sorta scary and exciting speculating what's next, but also boring having nothing to tide (heh, sea puns) us over.

Mr. Enter (your favorite awful hyper-negative, screamy reviewer that lives in his mother's basement) has played a big part in SpongeBob's negative reception around the internet this year. His influence is huge and kinda scary, and he's definitely affected more than MoBros ever did. I'd disagree with what you said and say 2011/2012 were SpongeBob's best post-movie years in terms of reception and quality, even with MoBros' videos starting up. It definitely felt like things were turning around for a while, but once we got into the bulk of the wildly uneven Season 9, everything kinda went down the toilet.

I don't think 2014 is gonna do much for the show reception or quality wise (we might be getting yikes– Excuse me, I mean Yeti Krabs this year, and then the other episodes we have no idea about what to expect quality wise). The drought is still in full effect and while the temporary relief will come in February, we still are gonna have to wait until May at the earliest to see new episodes (which could be completely different from the fare we're getting now, what with rumors of new writers and old crew returning). So yeah. Right now we have movie news and the coattails of new, hopefully interesting episodes to ride on, and I wouldn't say it's been, or will be a bad year for the Sponge- just kind of an inconsequential one. Nothing in 2014 has or will make or break how SpongeBob is received.

But 2015's got a new movie with a lot to live up to, and a slew of new episodes that could be drafted by an entirely new crew of people, and I'm looking forward to that much more, for better or for worse. Now 2015, could very well be an awful year, unlike this one, which is/will be more of a setup year. :P

But I've got hope.

also mr. Enter is the woat

Just wanted to put that out there

• Like 1

Some good points made here.

I wouldn't say awful, but it definitely hasn't been great. The drought of episodes and the perpetual feeling of not knowing what you're gonna get is unnerving, but the movie on the horizon is shaping up better and better as we get more info. It's this weird little bag of pure mixed emotions that's constantly wavering between optimistic and pessimistic in nature, and it's sorta scary and exciting speculating what's next, but also boring having nothing to tide (heh, sea puns) us over.

Mr. Enter (your favorite awful hyper-negative, screamy reviewer that lives in his mother's basement) has played a big part in SpongeBob's negative reception around the internet this year. His influence is huge and kinda scary, and he's definitely affected more than MoBros ever did. I'd disagree with what you said and say 2011/2012 were SpongeBob's best post-movie years in terms of reception and quality, even with MoBros' videos starting up. It definitely felt like things were turning around for a while, but once we got into the bulk of the wildly uneven Season 9, everything kinda went down the toilet.

I don't think 2014 is gonna do much for the show reception or quality wise (we might be getting yikes– Excuse me, I mean Yeti Krabs this year, and then the other episodes we have no idea about what to expect quality wise). The drought is still in full effect and while the temporary relief will come in February, we still are gonna have to wait until May at the earliest to see new episodes (which could be completely different from the fare we're getting now, what with rumors of new writers and old crew returning). So yeah. Right now we have movie news and the coattails of new, hopefully interesting episodes to ride on, and I wouldn't say it's been, or will be a bad year for the Sponge- just kind of an inconsequential one. Nothing in 2014 has or will make or break how SpongeBob is received.

But 2015's got a new movie with a lot to live up to, and a slew of new episodes that could be drafted by an entirely new crew of people, and I'm looking forward to that much more, for better or for worse. Now 2015, could very well be an awful year, unlike this one, which is/will be more of a setup year. :P

But I've got hope.

also mr. Enter is the woat

Just wanted to put that out there

By the way, MrEnter doesn't know why Face Freeze is getting defended. <_<

Before I think of ending the Mr. Enter discussion here, I'll go ahead and say that while he has potential for a critic, I think he has his own amount of flaws. He has some creative input for the whole "Animated Atrocities" and "Admirable Animations" gig, but I never usually see him go into any positive tangents when seeing his atrocity vidoes. I don't even really see him say stuff like "apparently, post-movie does have its defenders, surprisingly," or anything like that. I'm aware that he's an avid Spongebob viewer and has his favorites from the aforeentioned era, but when it comes to the facts, such as having a scoreboard set for like....115 post-movie episodes and calls Patrick a worse "monster" than Puffy Fluffy, I also think he pushes things to the limit fairly/very often. Lastly, I don't see the point of him calling G3 stuff from MLP "atrocities" if it's never intended for his type of gender demographic, is strictly targeted to one type of demographic only, and never usually has any conflict and brony-related charm to begin with. He's not bad at reviewing, but he needs to work on 'em. Can't wait for his "Ren Seeks Help" review admittedly, and to see if he has a 100/100 animated atrocity if possible.

I guess awful is not much of a strong word, but when comes to this current year, I can still see Spongebob struggling until his next major picture comes out. I'll feel better soon enough.

• Like 1

Sorry, but as long as 2014 has been a good year for Spongebob in the ratings department, I don't see how it's an "awful year". Why is negativity on the internet even a concern? It's everywhere no matter what. Fans are fickle. Fans are negative. Fans complain. And it effects nothing.

Also, I have watched quite a few of Mr. Enter's reviews, and I honestly think he needs to work on not just his reviewing, but his personality too. His style is mostly just nitpicking at things he doesn't like, and his hatred for the writers to the point of bashing them not just as writers but as PEOPLE too is inexcusable. Watch his Pet Sitter Pat review and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

Talking about critics, I have seen all of MrEnters SpongeBob reviews. A lot of them do not give credit to the episodes at all, despite it being not as bad as he claims. I, personally really like the reviews done by PieGuyRules. He actually gives a fair opinion and the defends about pre- and post-movie episodes. So much for the critic discussion, I really hope we get the remaining season 9 part 1 episodes soon. I think there's like four of them left? The new format that we will see next year could totally change the whole show, just like it did back in 2005.

While I don't hate Mr. Enter, it does get more than bothering when people's opinions pretty much match his because of how much of his people watch. It seems like people overall would rather just get their opinions off of someone else then to have their own. I know for a fact that Sand Castles in the Sand was rarely talked about before he reviewed and gave positive feelings towards it.

Mr. Enter (your favorite awful hyper-negative, screamy reviewer that lives in his mother's basement) 

Also, Nuggets, I completely understand you have an opinion, but don't you think the 'that lives in his mother's basement' part is a little too far?

• Like 1

Can't really judge since I haven't really watched that many of the new episodes except for Kenny the Cat, but if the show still gets high viewership for these new episodes, then it honestly can't be considered a bad year.

Oh and if people actually judge their opinions entirely based off of an internet critic like Mr. Enter, then they didn't have a strong enough opinion to actually consider to begin with.

• Like 2

We really need to step back from the absurdity, and remember that SpongeBob is a kid's show. It's really not being made for us, especially now. So even if the show is getting negative reviews from people like Mr. Enter, people like Mr. Enter are not the show's demographic. The ratings tell more than our opinions as to how "good" a year of SpongeBob is.

• Like 1

Okay people, while I don't think Mr. Enter is an amazing reviewer, he's far from a biased post-movie hater. He watches all the episodes and can admit that good post-movie episodes have existed.. he also has a few pre-movie atrocities... he's much better than the "Pre-movie 10/10 post-movie -10/10" crowd that's for sure. 

While I don't hate Mr. Enter, it does get more than bothering when people's opinions pretty much match his because of how much of his people watch. It seems like people overall would rather just get their opinions off of someone else then to have their own. I know for a fact that Sand Castles in the Sand was rarely talked about before he reviewed and gave positive feelings towards it.

I can't speak for everyone and maybe my memory serves me wrong but I remember SC in the Sand being well-recieved at SBM back in early 2012-early 2013 before Mr. Enter made his video for that

Okay people, while I don't think Mr. Enter is an amazing reviewer, he's far from a biased post-movie hater. He watches all the episodes and can admit that good post-movie episodes have existed.. he also has a few pre-movie atrocities... he's much better than the "Pre-movie 10/10 post-movie -10/10" crowd that's for sure. 

I can't speak for everyone and maybe my memory serves me wrong but I remember SC in the Sand being well-recieved at SBM back in early 2012-early 2013 before Mr. Enter made his video for that

Yeah, but I've seen people say things like "SC in the Sand is one of the only post-movie episodes I like" and stuff along those lines.