• Advertisement

Wumbo Ranks Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Charts! (Ahhh, the deed is done.)

Wumbo

So here we are, 1999. One of the big years in my book, one I was really looking forward to covering... and now that I've covered all 100 songs on here, I feel like I just set myself up for a massive disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, there are still good songs here, and we'll get to 'em. But I think I underestimated just how much of this year was... simply disposable. Seriously, it felt like a majority of this year hinged on trends that would be gone in two years at most. Boy bands, Sublime-y reggae, Puff Daddy... it didn't feel like this year mattered in the great scheme of things. And nowhere is that more evident than in our Bottom 10. Let's get to that, shall we? Onward!

Wumbo's Bottom 10 Hits of 1999

Spoiler

I just realized I put this song on the top half of my list in 1998. Not making that mistake again!

10. "Because of You" - 98 Degrees

I mean, good lord, y'all. In the grand pantheon of boy bands in the late 90s, 98 Degrees have decidedly sat at the kids' table, without any identifiable personality whatsoever. I mean, the Backstreet Boys had the most pop appeal, 'N Sync were... the edgy ones? Look, it cannot be hard to have the minimum personality possible for me to tell you from the other boy bands. Somehow, 98 Degrees even fail in that regard. Who could care about Nick Lachey before his reality show with Jessica Simpson? Hell, I'd argue he made more of a cultural impact that way.

How's this song in particular? It's technically fine, I guess... but there's absolutely nothing about this band that would make me want to revisit them. it's a perfectly mediocre song with mediocre artists. And you all know how I feel about mediocrity by now. Next!

Spoiler

So, I said earlier that 'N Sync were the... edgy group. Look, I have no idea what I'm talking about here. I don't really know what separates an 'N Sync from a 98 Degrees fundamentally. All I know is that 'N Sync on average had better songs. They were more fun and dancey, and they took more risks musically. I guess that's what I mean by "edgy". See, I'm learning things about myself every day! God bless you, Chris Kirkpatrick or whoever.

Notice that I said "on average" 'N Sync made better music. That doesn't mean that they could never suck. Oh, and when they sucked, it was glorious. You might even say it was... Gloria Estefan.

9. "Music of My Heart" - 'N Sync and Gloria Estefan

This is such a confusing choice all around. You pick Gloria Estefan to duet with you?  Ten years after her cultural relevance? Why bring her back? Was she really that big of an influence on you that you had to give her another shot at fame? Well, congratulations. This sounds nothing like Miami Sound Machine, and I'm ashamed to have ever compared you positively to 98 Degrees after this. For god's sake, at least "Because of You" has a good beat and you can dance to it! What is the excuse for this from 'N Sync?

It's just so strange. Gloria Estefan and the five guys have absolutely no chemistry together; it definitely feels like they were in different states recording this. And it all amounts to naught, it's just another disposable love song that absolutely anyone could have sang. Who asked for this? Anyone? No! Moving on.

Spoiler

You know what's really a shame with 'N Sync? I think that they had the potential to be better than they were. There was no need for them to fill up their catalog with all these soft-spoken, sappy ballads. They had the edge! They could have released more songs like... "Bye Bye Bye"!

Okay, you know what, maybe 'N Sync were never really any good. But they at least could have been more interesting more of the time than... this.

8. "(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time on You" - 'N Sync

It's ironic that a song about someone spending a little more time on someone is a song I don't want to spend any time on. Holy God, is this embarrassing. This legitimately doesn't even sound like a boy band. This sounds like some soft lite-rock shit from the early 90's. For god's sake, it's called "(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time on You"! This song could maybe pass as Christian pop, and who would notice or care? I hope no one, because I want to still retain some faith in humanity.

This, not the previous song, is 'N Sync's worst. It doesn't even sound like the band was trying here. This is the most generic, blandest bullshit I've ever heard in my life. I can't even dignify this with any more words. I'm done.

Spoiler

You know, I'm one of those Aerosmith fans that will stand up for basically any era of their careers. Sure, they peaked in the 70s, I won't dispute that. But I feel like they've ridden trends decently well while still retaining their identity as a fun-loving, raunchy band. The ballad above is probably one of their furthest strays away from that, but I can't help it. I just love Aerosmith.

So it pains me to know that a far inferior cover of this song made the charts this year... but it doesn't pain me at all to blast it to smithereens.

7. "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" - Mark Chesnutt

Oh my god. Oh my god I hate it oh god do I hate this get it off my screen

Whatever personality the original song conveyed through Steven Tyler's unmistakable vocals, it is all stripped away with this cover. This is one of the most generic country songs I've ever heard. It doesn't help that it just sounds like crap too. For some reason, Mark Chesnutt can't bring himself to say the word "babe" for most of the song, so he just ends the chorus lines with "I miss you", and there's this awkward pause between that and the next line. Holy Christ, this sucks. I cannot believe that they made this song sound this bad and generic. Just goes to show that you really shouldn't attempt an Aerosmith cover if you're nothing more than a mediocre country singer. God, this is painful to listen to. Anyone okay if we just move on to the next one? Let's.

Spoiler

Never let me make a "Guilty Pleasures" list ever again. I swear to god.

6. "Summer Girls" - LFO

This might be... the worst thing. Like just... why? Why did this become big? Even in the late 90's, where a different brand of stupidity seemed to be the flavour of the week, this should not have become a hit. It's not a song. It's a mish-mash of non sequiturs and pop culture references that should have been left on the cutting board.

This song is shallow in all the worst possible ways. It's a song that was designed to have a catchy beat, some "funny" lyrics, and nothing more. Ha ha! He said BILLY Shakespeare! What a card.

I wish I didn't have to be so mean to this song because the main star of it, Rich Cronin, died in 2010 at the too-young age of 36, which is tragic for anybody. But... come on boys, you didn't exactly give me anything to work with here. Out of respect for the dead, though, I'll end my rant here. We all know how bad this song sucks, it doesn't need to be elaborated on further, and there was a good man named Paul Revere. What? I can do random non sequiturs too.

Spoiler

5. "Lately" - Divine

It absolutely confuses me that this nothing of a song hit #1. I've certainly never heard this, I don't care to hear it again, and I'm assuming none of you care about this song either. So let's move on.

Spoiler

It really pains me to have to rag on what is by far the most talented and interesting boy band in the mix here... but if I'm not honest, then the list isn't honest, and then we just have a whole slew of problems. Who would you ever trust again? So, it is with a heavy heart that I "welcome" the Backstreet Boys back... to my worst list.

4. "All I Have to Give" - Backstreet Boys

This is the Backstreet Boys at their limpest, most life-support-needing that I've ever heard them. They sound like a shell of themselves in this song, and it's really disappointing to hear. There has to have been something more that they could have done to spruce up this song. Make it more interesting or more engaging or something. But no, it's just this low-energy acoustic guitar-driven ballad and everyone sounds like they're singing in their inside voice for some reason. Guys, you are some of the most bombastic performers of your time. You can stand to pick it up a notch.

Sadly, if this is what the Backstreet Boys are going to give to me this year, then they more than deserve a spot on this list. It doesn't matter how good some of their other songs are. In fact, that makes even less excuse for this. Clearly this is not all you have to give, boys, so try harder.

Spoiler

Hey, it's been a while since I've ragged on Brandy, hasn't it? Well, let's fix that!

3. "Have You Ever?" - Brandy

...okay, someone else start. No, seriously. I got nothin'. There is absolutely nothing more to say about this hack of an "artist", even less so now that I'm dealing with a song that I'm pretty sure no one actually likes. I don't care if it hit #1, that was clearly inertia and braindead radio DJs. I refuse to believe that anyone was actually making the conscious decision to listen to this. It's a shell of a song. It's so boring and tired, and I'm tired too. Next!

Spoiler

I hate 98 Degrees. I actually fucking hate this group. You have to understand the seething rage that I feel whenever I hear one of their songs as opposed to your average Backstreet Boys or 'N Sync song. They are just an awful, incompetent group. I'd say it's the 4-member curse, but I honestly think One Direction got better after Zayn left, so maybe it's just that 98 Degrees sucked! That's not too hard to believe, is it? Are we really gonna sit around and debate the music career of Nick Lachey of all people? Come on now.

That said, even with all the terrible, terrible songs this group has inflicted upon society... I really wasn't prepared for this one. It's one thing to just suck as a group. It's quite another to be an actively reprehensible boy band. And that's the line they cross with this one.

2. "The Hardest Thing" - 98 Degrees

This is just the moment where I couldn't fucking take it anymore. Really, 98 Degrees? This was the song you performed? This is what's gonna get the girls coming in throngs? A song about having a damn mistress? Wh-wh-where is the LOGIC in that?

And here's the thing: if they could actually pull off the complex emotions of this song, then I would actually be impressed. Seriously, for a boy band to pull off a "Me and Mrs. Jones"-style song would be something indeed. But of course, they don't do that, because 98 Degrees are fucking tools, and they don't understand the gravitas of a situation like this, and therefore they approach this topic in the same way they always do: with the stage presence of wet flannel. Good God, I hate this group. I never want to hear another song by them again. 98 Degrees is the kind of group that consistently leaves me cold.

Spoiler

Of all the songs on the year-end this year... this is simply the one I found the most disposable and lame. We end this list with a sputter, not a bang, unfortunately. It's K-Ci & JoJo.

1. "Tell Me It's Real" - K-Ci & JoJo

K-Ci & JoJo are some of the biggest no-name performers I've seen in R&B. And it really doesn't help to have this song, which is absolutely drenched in autotune masking, as part of their catalog. All it does is make them sound even more interchangeable as artists. It's not like they use it to enhance any part of their lacking personalities. It's just a tool used in place of actually singing. And it sounds goddamn awful. That chorus is the biggest ice-pick to the ears of the year. Just a garbage song by a worthless duo. Not much more to say here. Ugh.

• Like 4

You know what's REALLY weird about all those choices, though? Even though 1999 was one of the years that I was actually trying to be ACTIVE in trying to listen to all the current hits of the year, I didn't manage to hear ANY of those songs that tanked, with the exception of "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You", and even THAT one was a rare occurrence! :rolleyes: I guess that maybe I just live in an area where the Radio D.J.'s have more common sense on average than the Radio D.J.'s that decided to play trash music! Hopefully, the rest of the 1999 music list will be much better than what the WORST has to offer! Enough said! ;)

• Thanks 1

While I wouldn't consider "Tell Me It's Real" as the worst hit of 1999 over...say, "Lullaby," one thing that perplexes me about K-Ci and JoJo is that they are two-halves of Jodeci, an R&B group in which is said to be one of the most influential R&B groups from their time. Based on my listening experiences between the duo and the group, I can at least say that K-Ci and JoJo watered themselves down during their career as a duo.

I can see 1999 being hailed as one of the best pop years for the 90s for most people because its good songs tend to overshadow its bad songs, so I'm looking forward to see what your top 10 is like.

• Like 1

All right, so you've probably surmised that by my eviscerating of 1999's worst list that this year was completely worthless. That there wasn't a single lit candle in this dark, dark room of pop music.

How dare you! How freakin' dare you!

This was a glorious time for pop music, one of the sunshiniest and happiest years I've ever covered. It really doesn't matter what the worst stuff is when the best stuff is this good, right? Well... let's say my feelings on the matter are complicated at best. But regardless! I do think that this best list is quite a treat. so if you'll join me in indulging, we can get started. It's...

Wumbo's Top 10 Hits of 1999

Spoiler

The year is 1999, and Mariah Carey's peak decade is coming to an end. What to do to close off the decade? Well, a retread of one of her biggest hits couldn't hurt!

10. "Heartbreaker" - Mariah Carey ft. Jay-Z

But if we're just going to get this song, then I have to say that it's a pretty damn good addition to the Mariah Carey collection. Sure, it's derivative. But swapping out ODB for Jay-Z is a distinctive enough change. I love ODB, but it's clear Jay-Z has more control over what he's doing in his verse and stays on the flow better. It makes for a more coherent song, and a wonderful pop tune overall. I love Mariah Carey, and I love it whenever she appears on these lists. She never breaks my heart. This video's weird as hell, though.

Spoiler

In many ways, 1999 really does feel like the end of an era for many artists. The Backstreet Boys didn't survive long past this year, and you could say the same for many other boy bands. Unfortunately, this extended to girl groups too, particularly TLC. Things were sort of starting to come to a head around the turn of the millennium, with Lisa Lopes feeling underappreciated and underutilized within the group. She was getting less and less face time on the records, and she made it know that she felt like she wasn't able to express herself as well. But as bad as the problems within TLC were at the time, there was no denying that there were some groups that TLC hated even more.

9. "No Scrubs" - TLC

Ah yes, the "scrub". Man, I remember when I discovered the response song to this called "No Pigeons", clearly written by a scrub outlined in this song. Look, guys. We don't have this market locked up. TLC does. So we'd better quit while we're ahead.

"No Scrubs" is an absolutely fantastic R&B jam, exactly the type of song that TLC is good at. A sassy takedown of male culture and the boorish men that inhabit it, with a sexy beat to back it. And hey, at least this time they have the higher moral ground! No sir, no cheating going on here. Just an honest, frank discussion of the types of guys they don't want to waste their time on. Can't take that away from them.

And despite all the problems going on with the group at the time, the three members sound as on point as ever. This is the first time Chilli takes the lead vocals on a TLC single, and she does a fantastic job. Left Eye gets a rap verse that she kills, and T-Boz does well as the supporting cast member for once. It all just comes together wonderfully. unlike the scrubs they sing about. Seriously, go take a shower. Yeesh.

Spoiler

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/mz5bbc13ec4931b

Man, all you need are those chords. Absolutely nothing else, and you're already riding off into the sunset. God, I love the Chili Peppers.

8. "Scar Tissue" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Is there anything more that I even need to say here? This is seriously one of the chillest rock songs of all time. Fittingly, it was recorded by one of the chillest rock bands of all time, at one of the chillest periods in their discography. Seriously, this is just the perfect driving music. Or summer lounging music. Or anything, really. I could listen to this anywhere. It's that good.

Everything comes together. I know some fans weren't happy with Frusciante's departure for One Hot Minute, and while I think the hate for that album is overblown, it's hard to deny how big that guy's guitar presence is connected with the band. He seriously has a style all his own that gives the Chili Peppers that extra flavour. You just have to listen to one of his solos in this song to get that feel. Awesome.

Seriously, I love the album Californication. Between this, the title track, and "Road Trippin'", you got yourself a playlist for anytime you just wanna hang out. At least, that's what I'd do.

Spoiler

Fugees, for my money, are one of the most underrated hip hop groups of all time. They had a very low-key style to them, never really craving the spotlight, but underneath that came a cavalcade of monstrous songs, from "Ready or Not" to "Fu-Gee-La" to their cover of "Killing Me Softly". Fugees were long gone by 1999, but one member had yet to have her turn in the solo spotlight. And finally, in 1999, it was Lauryn Hill's turn.

7. "Doo Wop (That Thing)" - Lauryn Hill

Lauryn Hill was always the most talented and most interesting part of Fugees, so I imagine if I was conscious of hip hop music at the time, I would have been waiting for Lauryn Hill to debut solo. And what a debut it was, the most successful of the three. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill sold a million copies in its first month of release and topped the year-end R&B/Hip-Hop charts that year. And it deserved to! It was an honest, raw portrayal of her perspectives on love and relationships, and added exactly the kind of flair that she was known for at the time. Lauryn Hill is just a dynamic personality of an emcee. I love hearing her sing and rap on the mic; she's so captivating either way.

Actually, the video for this song does a decent job of introducing the two sides of Lauryn Hill. Classic music video, one of my favourites. And I love this song and this woman as well. It's so rare to have a song like this these days, one which props up both men and women who may be struggling. Now obviously women have it worse, but still, the egalitarian nature of this song is something refreshing. You'd just hope an MRA doesn't take wind of this and use it for whatever propaganda he wants to spew. Yuck. But yeah, fantastic song, fantastic presence, need I say more?

Spoiler

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME CHRISTIAN ROCK??

That's right folks, today we're going to veer into the territory of Christian rock music. On a best list of mine, no less! How good can this Christian rock band be? Well... how about so good that you'd never really suspect they were Christian rock at all?

Bear with me here.

6. "Kiss Me" - Sixpence None the Richer

Yes, it's "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer, one of the most iconic songs of the late 90s. Yet I bet it never occurred to you that these guys were Christian rock, with songs in their catalog such as "The Fatherless and the Widow" and "Angeltread"! Thankfully, these guys also are the brand of Christian rock that doesn't suck out loud. And this is clearly not a Christian song. It's alternative rock with a poppy side. But hey, it's nice to know that bands who start from humble beginnings can make a song as iconic and memorable as this one. The meek shall inherit the earth, indeed.

For real, who doesn't love this song? It's a staple in classic 90s songs for good reason. It's relentlessly sweet, with a kickass groove to it. It was basically made to be played in every late 90s teen movie. And there's nothing wrong with that. A fun song that everyone can love.

Spoiler

You know, it's fine and all to want to tell off gross men and all that. But if you really want to tug at my heartstrings, you'll approach a topic which applies to all of us: body issues!

...Man, that's sad, isn't it?

5. "Unpretty" - TLC

This is probably in many ways the best song TLC has ever released. I may technically like other songs more, but there's no denying how positive this song is, and how much of a positive vibe it gives off. It may be the most important song for TLC's fanbase to hear as well, as I'm sure there were more than a few girls at the time already suffering from body issues. Which is a really sad indictment of society's standards for women. But it's good to have acts like TLC standing up against that bullshit and exposing the lies for what they really are.

Honestly, it's also probably TLC's weirdest song, as it's very much a pop rock song as it is an R&B song. I can see this having more in common with early Pink songs than, say, En Vogue. Nothing wrong with that at all! Just shows that TLC have some diversity among their sound, and they rock this sound perfectly. It also definitely fits the mood they're going for. Kind of bubbly, but also sad as well. Such is the archetype of these body-positive anthems.

God, I don't know what else to say here. I just love the shit out of TLC. I really wish they had survived into the 2000s and that Lisa Lopes hadn't met an untimely end. But at least we had them for as long as we did. And that's pretty good.

Spoiler

I think Matchbox 20 get a bad rap among rock fans. "Ooh, they're boring. Ooh, they're not 'rock' enough for the rock charts." Okay, I'm pretty sure no one outside of chart nerds actually say that last one, but still, it's unfair, right?

I mean, they've had their share of rockin' tunes! Sure, they might be a bit lighter than most alternative rock in the 90s. But if The Goo Goo Dolls can make it to the top of the charts, then surely Matchbox 20 should be given a fair shake as well, right?

Take this song, for example. It rocks, and I love it.

4. "Back 2 Good" - Matchbox 20

Man, this is exactly what Matchbox 20 can do when they're right in their moody element. This was actually off of their 1996 album Yourself or Someone Like You, but wasn't released until late 1998. It racked up enough points to get on the charts for '99, and here we are.

And I think that this song should singlehandedly save Matchbox 20's cred as a rock band. Because rock isn't all about killer guitar solos and shredding! Sometimes it can just be about setting a meaningful, poetic mood as this one does, full of melancholy and anger. A lot of that is conveyed through Rob Thomas's stellar performance. A lot of people find his voice grating. I was never one of them. He has just the right amount of snarl to his voice that makes him fit right into the alternative scene for me. Take this song, for example. He just roars with intensity.

Whatever you think of Matchbox 20 on the whole, you have to give them this song. And if not, well I'd say it's time to go back 2 the drawing board and re-think your idea of good music. 'Cause I can no longer help ya.

Spoiler

YES. DRAKE SAMPLED THIS SONG THIS YEAR.

3. Ex-Factor" - Lauryn Hill

Man, I wish that a discussion of Lauryn Hill did not now need to be eclipsed by fucking Drake of all people. Seriously, Drake, fuck you and your success. But I suppose I can turn this on its head by saying that that sample is probably what made "Nice for What" such a great song. To anchor your song in Lauryn Hill's beautiful melodies is an apt artistic choice indeed.

But I want to give it up for the original here, which just showcases an amazing performance, straight from the heart of Lauryn Hill. God damn, this woman can sing. I reiterate: best part of Fugees by a mile. You really feel like you're right in the room with her, listening to her pour her heart out. It is goddamn heart-wrenching to hear such a beautifully sad performance. But only Lauryn Hill could have delivered it in this way. And God bless her for it.

Spoiler

2. "Smooth" - Santana ft. Rob Thomas

I think I may have undersold just how much I love this song on my 2000 list. Like, seriously. I talked on and on about how big of a hit it was, but it was a hit for good reason. It is an unbelievably sexy song. Rob Thomas wrote this intending it to be sung by George Michael, and you can definitely tell, because this would be the type of song right up his alley. But against all odds, the boy in the supposedly mediocre rock band pulls it off. How about that? Maybe it's time to give the whole band another chance. Bitter? Who, me?

Of course, we can't ignore Carlos Santana here. This song would not have been a hit without him, or at least not as good of one. You need that Latin flair to come in on this song, and Santana naturally has that in spades. God, do I love this song. It's so... smooth. You can love it with me, or else forget about it. But why would you want to?

Spoiler

You know, the thing that gets me about alternative rock, especially in the late 90s, is that you have all these happy, sunshiny-sounding songs that are about the most depressing of topics. "Semi-Charmed Life" is about having your damn life ruined by crystal meth. Seriously, guys? I was humming that as a kid. But now, I have to face the fact that a song like this has just become my #1 of 1999. And I gotta face it with open arms, because sinister or not, I still love the song to the very end.

1. "Slide" - Goo Goo Dolls

So, I've already expressed my love for the Goo Goo Dolls on previous lists. But this is the first time they've ever hit #1, and there's a lot of competition for that spot this year. So I'd better do my best to explain myself here. Um... I really, really love the Goo Goo Dolls?

I'm sorry, guys. A lot of this just stacks up to nostalgia, I'm sure. But c'mon! Give me a little credit! This is still a damn good song. The way the mood is set with the fast-paced drums and the ever-present guitar licks... it's just a fun song to jam to. Care to guess what it's about? It's about abortion!

Specifically, it's about the prospect of abortion breaking up a family and leaving a young woman all by herself. Cheery stuff! But hey, at least Johnny Rzeznik is there to make things all better. What a sweet guy. So I guess it's not the most depressing song in the world. But still, the swerve between the happy tune and the subject matter is pretty severe, right? Whatever. It's a kickass song either way, and I love it enough for it to top my list. Sorry not sorry.

Full List:

Spoiler

1. "Slide" - Goo Goo Dolls

2. "Smooth" - Santana ft. Rob Thomas

3. "Ex-Factor" - Lauryn Hill

4. "Back 2 Good" - Matchbox 20

5. "Unpretty" - TLC

6. "Kiss Me" - Sixpence None the Richer

7. "Doo Wop (That Thing)" - Lauryn Hill

8. "Scar Tissue" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

9. "No Scrubs" - TLC

10. "Heartbreaker" - Mariah Carey ft. Jay-Z

11. "Jumper" - Third Eye Blind

12. "Iris" - Goo Goo Dolls

13. "Save Tonight" - Eagle-Eye Cherry

14. "Black Balloon" - Goo Goo Dolls

15. "She's So High" - Tal Bachman

16. "Fly Away" - Lenny Kravitz

17. "What It's Like" - Everlast

18. "...Baby One More Time" - Britney Spears

19. "Better Days (And the Bottom Drops Out)" - Citizen King

20. "808" - Blaque

21. "Livin' la Vida Loca" - Ricky Martin

22. "I Still Believe" - Mariah Carey

23. "Give It to You" - Jordan Knight

24. "Every Morning" - Sugar Ray

25. "Last Kiss" - Pearl Jam

26. "That Don't Impress Me Much" - Shania Twain

27. "Jamboree" - Naughty By Nature ft. Zhané

28. "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)" - Jay-Z

29. "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!" - Shania Twain

30. "Out of My Head" - Fastball

31. "Steal My Sunshine" - Len

32. "Wild Wild West" - Will Smith ft. Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee

33. "Please Remember Me" - Tim McGraw

34. "From This Moment On" - Shania Twain

35. "Love Like This" - Faith Evans

36. "Believe" - Cher

37. "Bailamos" - Enrique Iglesias

38. "Take Me There" - Blackstreet ft. Mýa, Mase and Blinky Blink

39. "Who Dat" - JT Money ft. Solé

40. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys

41. "Miami" - Will Smith

42. "Hands" - Jewel

43. "Trippin'" - Total ft. Missy Elliott

44. "All Night Long" - Faith Evans ft. Puff Daddy

45. "Can I Get A..." - Jay-Z ft. Amil and Ja Rule

46. "Ghetto Cowboy" - Mo Thugs

47. "Back That Azz Up" - Juvenile ft. Mannie Fresh and Lil Wayne

48. "Faded Pictures" - Case ft. Joe

49. "So Anxious" - Ginuwine

50. "I Need to Know" - Marc Anthony

51. "If You" - Silk

52. "Someday" - Sugar Ray

53. "All Star" - Smash Mouth

54. "Nobody's Supposed to Be Here" - Deborah Cox

55. "My Love Is Your Love" - Whitney Houston

56. "When a Woman's Fed Up" - R. Kelly

57. "Amazed" - Lonestar

58. "I Will Remember You" - Sarah McLachlan

59. "Anywhere" - 112 ft. Lil Zane

60. "Back at One" - Brian McKnight

61. "Where My Girls At?" - 702

62. "Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega

63. "A Lesson in Leavin'" - Jo Dee Messina

64. "When You Believe" - Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey

65. "Write This Down" - George Strait

66. "Angel" - Sarah McLachlan

67. "Lullaby" - Shawn Mullins

68. "(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time on You" - Alabama & 'N Sync

69. "Sometimes" - Britney Spears

70. "Genie in a Bottle" - Christina Aguilera

71. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Whitney Houston ft. Faith Evans and Kelly Price

72. "How Forever Feels" - Kenny Chesney

73. "Happily Ever After" - Case

74. "She's All I Ever Had" - Ricky Martin

75. "These Are the Times" - Dru Hill

76. "You" - Jesse Powell

77. "Spend My Life with You" - Eric Benét ft. Tamia

78. "If You Had My Love" - Jennifer Lopez

79. "What's It Gonna Be?!" - Busta Rhymes ft. Janet

80. "It's Not Right but It's Okay" - Whitney Houston

81. "Almost Doesn't Count" - Brandy

82. "Stay the Same" - Joey McIntyre

83. "Angel of Mine" - Monica

84. "Sweet Lady" - Tyrese

85. "Bills, Bills, Bills" - Destiny's Child

86. "I'm Your Angel" - R. Kelly and Celine Dion

87. "Fortunate" - Maxwell

88. "Satisfy You" - Puff Daddy ft. R. Kelly

89. "I Do (Cherish You)" - 98 Degrees

90. "Chanté's Got a Man" - Chanté Moore

91. "Because of You" - 98 Degrees

92. "Music of My Heart" - 'N Sync and Gloria Estefan

93. "(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time on You" - 'N Sync

94. "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" - Mark Chesnutt

95. "Summer Girls" - LFO

96. "Lately" - Divine

97. "All I Have to Give" - Backstreet Boys

98. "Have You Ever?" - Brandy

99. "The Hardest Thing" - 98 Degrees

100. "Tell Me It's Real" - K-Ci & JoJo

• Like 4

As somebody who also did this year, I feel tempted to do some list comparisons:

Spoiler
  • Three of the songs that were on your worst list, I had on mine: Tell Me It's Real, Have You Ever, and I Don't Want to Miss a Thing (which is definitely deserving of a spot on 1999 worst lists everywhere). Glad to see those songs appear on yours.
  • There were also three songs we both agreed on: No Scrubs, Scar Tissue, and Smooth. Funnily enough, both Santana and Goo Goo Dolls were on the Top 2 for both of our lists, except the places were changed and "Iris" was (and prolly still is) my favorite Goo Goo Dolls song that year.
  • "Heartbreaker" was my #11 and came so close to making my list. Damn good Mariah song.
  • I admit that there were some songs on the whole list I may have overrated or underrated (like putting freaking Wild Wild West on my worst 10 what the hell was i thinking).

Can't complain about either of these lists though. My nostalgia bias might have defended the year-end too much but it was a year I had so close to my heart and I think a lot of the songs on your Top 10 say so.

........though the year is still better outside of the year-end list. My Own Worst Enemy (Lit), You Get What You Give (New Radicals), and Learn to Fly (Foo Fighters) are some of my favorite songs from that year that didn't make it.

Now, for the usual:

Out of My Head

Iris

I Want It That Way

She's So High

Jumper

Livin la Vida Loca

Man! I Feel Like a Woman

• Like 1

Better put out my requests before I'm too late:

Lullaby

Wild Wild West

Black Balloon

Take Me There

If You

Nobody's Supposed to Be Here

Ghetto Cowboy

Bills, Bills, Bills

and finally: that one song from Shrek that I don't have to spell out

• Like 1

1999 was a much better year than I remembered it being, even though there are STILL some songs that I can honestly say that I've never actually heard! o.o Out of the ones that I have (that haven't already been listed), when you have the time, thoughts on the following:

"It's Not Right, But It's Okay; What's It Going to Be?!; If You Had My Love; Heartbreak Hotel; Sometimes; I Will Remember You; When You Believe; Back At One; My Love Is Your Love; I Need to Know; Hands; Miami; Bailamos; From This Moment On;" and Sarah Maclachlan's "Angel" (AKA, the song they almost ALWAYS play in order to guilt-trip people into donating money to ASCAP)! / Please and thank you in advance! :D Enough said! ;)

• Like 1

"...Baby One More Time": A classic, no doubt. Can't deny the power of Britney Spears' most enduring hit.

"That Don't Impress Me Much": My favourite of the Shania Twain songs this year. It was simply the most interesting of the three to me.

"Mambo No. 5": A novelty song in the most tired, dated way. Yeah, when it's on at a party it's a fun time, but that doesn't mean I go out of my way to listen to it otherwise.

"Steal My Sunshine": One of the very few songs on my guilty pleasures list that actually holds up. It's a fun summery song to me, and you can't steal that away.

"Save Tonight": There really wasn't anyone like Eagle-Eye Cherry in the mainstream in '99. Following in a trend of rootsy 90s rock pioneered by Counting Crows, Blues Traveler and the like, they fill the slot well. Infectiously catchy tune.

"Genie in a Bottle": I don't like Christina Aguilera. I don't think she's an interesting personality or performer. Least so in her 90s years where she hasn't really even developed her signature belting style. So this song doesn't really have anything going for it at all.

"Fly Away": It's kind of corny, but I dig Lenny Kravitz anyway.

"Amazed": Perfectly serviceable country ballad, nothing much more to me.

"Believe": I still haven't forgiven you Clappy. THE DISRESPECT

"Every Morning": So I guess I don't hate Sugar Ray as much as I let on. Damn you, Mark McGrath. Damn you and your feel-good sunshiny pop rock tunes.

"Hard Knock Life": You gotta give Jay-Z credit for sampling Annie and not having it sound like total garbage. This song never did too much for me, but I can respect it at least.

"Out of My Head": The Fastball song that no one remembers, and yet it was the one that was actually a Billboard hit. Go figure. I've always been a bigger fan of "The Way", but this is fine enough.

"Iris": Make no mistake, I love this song and wish I had the room for it on my list. But it just couldn't get there. Seriously though, all-time classic.

"I Want It That Way": Yeah, it's corny beyond belief. Most boy band songs are in retrospect. I still have a begrudging amount of respect for this one because of the genuinely nice harmonies on the final chorus and... well, it's hard not to like this song after it's been so ingrained in your psyche.

"She's So High": Damn, call this one a new guilty pleasure if anything. I really do have a soft spot for late 90s pop rock, it seems. Blame the radio I listened to growing up.

"Jumper": Again, so close, and I do find it weird that this song didn't make it while arguably worse songs like "How's It Going to Be" did in previous years. C'est la vie, and 1999 had a bit more stiff competition near the top. But still, mad respect to this song. Probably one of my go-tos when I'm feeling down.

"Livin' La Vida Loca": Definitely a cheesy song in all the right ways. Obviously Ricky Martin's magnum opus here.

"Man! I Feel Like a Woman": Overexposure killed this one for me a little, but I can't deny the groove it still has.

"Lullaby": This song has soured on me something fierce. God damn, do I hate this man's voice. It is something reprehensible indeed. Should have been lower, honestly. I guess nostalgia kept that from happening.

"Wild Wild West": Speaking of cheesy in all the right ways, here's Will Smith. Gotta love him.

"Black Balloon": The least of the Goo Goo Dolls songs this year is still pretty damn good. Just doesn't really have any wow factor like the others do.

"Take Me There": Lot of rap/R&B crossover hits this year, and it was hard to keep track of them all. This one stands out for having the always-talented Blackstreet behind the mic.

"If You": Barely remember this one.

"808": Man, even the TLC wannabes this year were good!

"Nobody's Supposed to Be Here": You know, I used to like this song, but I feel like it's been on twelve separate year-end lists at this point. Can it please just go away now?

"Ghetto Cowboy": Much prefer Bone Thugs on their own, but this is still okay, I guess.

"Bills, Bills, Bills": Still can't sign off on this. It's Destiny's Child at their most petty and bothersome.

"All Star": It's definitely a meme factory of a song, but that doesn't mean it's really that good on its own. This isn't even Smash Mouth's best.

"It's Not Right But It's Okay": Still don't have any strong feelings about Whitney Houston.

"What's It Gonna Be": One of those sad moments where Busta Rhymes cannot, in fact, save a song.

"If You Had My Love": Boring.

"Heartbreak Hotel": Still don't have any strong feelings about Whitney Houston.

"Sometimes": Definitely a weaker song in Britney's catalog. Just a bit too airy for me.

"I Will Remember You": I will stand up for Sarah McLachlan as a singer, but as an artist she more often than not makes boring songs like these. Sorry, dear. Sheryl Crow you are not.

"When You Believe": Still don't...

"Back at One": Another boring R&B ballad with a really corny lyric scheme.

"My Love Is Your Love": Y'know, when you request four songs by the same artist, you can't expect my commentary to vary that much. Yeah, this one's a little better, but seriously, I don't care about Whitney Houston's music, particularly in this era. I'm sorry.

"I Need to Know": I'm not a Marc Anthony fan, but this is... passable.

"Hands": Jewel being Jewel.

"Miami": If anything, this is the Will Smith song where things get a little too much for me. But Will's still charming enough to keep this in the top half.

"Bailamos": Enrique Iglesias is definitely more interesting than Marc Anthony, I'll give him that.

"From This Moment On": A passable Shania Twain ballad.

"Angel": Not much more needs to be said than your commentary, I think.

"Better Days": I have to admit, this song rides almost entirely on nostalgia vibes from Malcolm in the Middle, but it's still a pretty catchy and interesting song in its own right.

OKAY! So after all that, an announcement. The once-a-month thing isn't working out for me with this project, so I'll be working a bit more slowly from here on in. But I do promise to, at minimum, have these lists out bi-monthly. So if these come out at a slower pace than what you're accustomed to, I apologize. But I really gotta focus on school this year, too. Most likely, my next list will be the year-end for 2018 in Clappy's inevitable year-end wrap-up thread. Seeya then!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dmandaboi said:

Just stopping by to say that this topic was so good that I cared more about listening to your opinions on top 100 singles rather than doing schoolwork.

thanks

get back to work mr squidward

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Paul McCartney said:

Over two months later, and we're STILL waiting. Can we get an update on this topic soon, please?

Dude, he’s probably busy. And he always does the best/worst songs of 2018 in December. Just be patient and eventually he’ll get to another Billboard year of the past lol

• God Himself 1