• Advertisement

Wumbo Ranks Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Charts! (Ahhh, the deed is done.)

Wumbo

Alright folks! So the next year, coming out within the next two months (maybe in January? Who knows) is...

Yep! It took us a while to get to the years ending in 9, but we appear to be blowing through 'em rather quickly. Who will rise up in this weird, awkward year? Stay tuned!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wumbo said:

Alright folks! So the next year, coming out within the next two months (maybe in January? Who knows) is...

Yep! It took us a while to get to the years ending in 9, but we appear to be blowing through 'em rather quickly. Who will rise up in this weird, awkward year? Stay tuned!

1989, the year that brought us The B-52's singing "Loveshack" and "Roam," Paula Abdul singing "Straight Up, Cold Hearted Snake, The Way That You Love Me", and other songs, the year that The New Kids On the Block sang "Hanging Tough", the year where Janet Jackson released her "Rhythm Nation 1814" album, the year where Don Henley and Tom Petty released "The Heart of the Matter" and "Free Falling" respectively (though those may not chart until 1990), and the year where Milli Vanilli's name FOREVER became associated with mud when they were caught LIP-SYNCING, and yet STILL somehow got a Grammy after the fact, even if it was revoked later! o.o Going to be interesting to see how this year plays out! :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, dmandaman&Knuckles said:

Yo it’s been two months since January 4th. We’re waiting d00d

Dude, he’s probably busy. ...Just be patient and eventually he’ll get to another Billboard year of the past lol

• Like 1

So I guess it's only fair to be honest to you guys, and... the drive's kinda gone for this.

I'll put it this way: A Michael Jackson song is my #1 for 1989.

So... yeah. How do I even navigate around the minefield that is Michael Jackson's legacy, particularly in the age of this documentary exposing all the terrible things he did? Granted, we've known about his shadiness for years, but it feels particularly uncomfortable right now to sing his praises.

And... well, it's all just hypocritical. I go on and on about how terrible people like 6ix9ine and Chris Brown are, but let's be real: it's because I don't dig their music. It's not like I've gone on the same about Michael Jackson, or Aerosmith, or any of the other talented musicians who unfortunately did very bad things.

So I'm in a bit of a weird place with this thing right now. I don't really want to stop, because I'm so close to the end. But it's starting to feel less and less right for me to go on with this, too. It doesn't help that I've been busy with school and honestly I generally don't feel like I fit in with you guys anymore. Nothing any of you have done, I just wonder if I've outgrown the community.

Oof. That was a mouthful. Idk, let me know what you guys think.

• Hug 1

Gladly will let you know what I think.

As someone who definitely knows he doesn’t fit in with this community anymore, allow for me to chime in my two cents about your post because I’ve been asked on more than one occasion by some people as to why I still come on here.

Because I’m proud as to how this site has grown.  I’ve grown to accept that I can’t shake the feeling that there will always be a part of me inside wondering how things are going here.  That’s what drove me back this summer knowing what happened and trying to protect the moral integrity of this site.  I know I’m not active around here, but I care too much about the site itself, even if I barely know like 80% of the people who log on here anymore.

But this isn’t about me.  This is about you.  You gotta do what’s right for you.  Real life priorities are far more important.  And this might be selfish of me to say, but I hope you know that a lot of people sure as hell care about you on here.  Even if you feel like you’ve outgrown the site, I personally feel like you can’t outgrow the friends you’ve made despite the fact that this is a website mainly about a cartoon show.  I personally feel like you’re one of the few people I’m closest with around here.  That’s how I feel at least, I can’t read your mind but I hope what I’m saying makes sense.

Continue this thread, abandon it.  Do what you want to do man.  Just don’t let it affect on how you feel as a whole because more people care about you on here than you might realize.  I at least hope you’re fine in whatever weird place you’re at.

• Hug 1

I can understand the feeling of having lost the impulse to continue these, whether it be because of your current mood or because of what I can easily say from my own perspective that year-end Hot 100 countdowns are generally a lot of work. However, this is only based on how I feel, but I wouldn't say that you've become "out of touch" with us. It's hard for me to give out my say as someone who currently doesn't feel disconnected with SBC, but at least remember that while most of us who follow this topic always look forward to these countdowns, that's not the only thing we look forward to from you. You have contributed a lot to this community, and you'e most usually a interesting person for me to know. 

To speak in behalf of this topic, I won't feel upset for whatever fate it receives. If it's your choice to continue it, I would simply advise to post a new set of countdowns whenever you feel to and to always put real life priorities first, like I usually do. Even if this project just stops, you'll always be in my mind as a music critic who has done something that no Toddroid or A-list music critic on YouTube hasn't accomplished, that being having enough of a force to cover a good chunk of the Billboard Hot 100's history in the form of their annual top 100 lists.

There's nothing else for me to say except whatever becomes of this project now is all up to you.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Hug 1

Much love to you all ❤️ It's a difficult decision for sure. I think for now, I just can't find the energy or time to do the write-ups. So maybe I'll post the year-end countdowns I have in their barest form, and if you guys want to know about any particular choices, just let me know (I do ask now that you keep it brief, though. Maybe 5 songs a person?)

Spoiler

1. "Smooth Criminal" - Michael Jackson

2. "My Prerogative" - Bobby Brown

3. "Lovesong" - The Cure

4. "The Look" - Roxette

5. "Like a Prayer" - Madonna

6. "Toy Soldiers" - Martika

7. "Forever Your Girl" - Paula Abdul

8. "Buffalo Stance" - Neneh Cherry

9. "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns N' Roses

10. "Paradise City" - Guns N' Roses

11. "Armageddon It" - Def Leppard

12. "Stand" - R.E.M.

13. "Love Shack" - The B-52s

14. "On Our Own" - Bobby Brown

15. "Sowing the Seeds of Love" - Tears for Fears

16. "Secret Rendezvous" - Karyn White

17. "Every Little Step" - Bobby Brown

18. "Express Yourself" - Madonna

19. "In Your Room" - The Bangles

20. "Love in an Elevator" - Aerosmith

21. "Bust a Move" - Young MC

22. "Miss You Much" - Janet Jackson

23. "Patience" - Guns N' Roses

24. "What I Am" - Edie Brickell & New Bohemians

25. "Straight Up" - Paula Abdul

26. "Angel Eyes" - The Jeff Healey Band

27. "This Time I Know It's for Real" - Donna Summer

28. "Miss You Like Crazy" - Natalie Cole

29. "Cherish" - Madonna

30. "Don't Rush Me" - Taylor Dayne

31. "I Remember Holding You" - Boys Club

32. "Good Thing" - Fine Young Cannibals

33. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals

34. "Born to Be My Baby" - Bon Jovi

35. "Listen to Your Heart" - Roxette

36. "Lay Your Hands on Me" - Bon Jovi

37. "The Promise" - When in Rome

38. "The Lover in Me" - Sheena Easton

39. "My Heart Can't Tell You No" - Rod Stewart

40. "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" - New Kids on the Block

41. "Eternal Flame" - The Bangles

42. "If I Could Turn Back Time" - Cher

43. "Roni" - Bobby Brown

44. "Walk on Water" - Eddie Money

45. "18 and Life" - Skid Row

46. "Funky Cold Medina" - Tone Lōc

47. "I'll Be There for You" - Bon Jovi

48. "When I'm with You" - Sheriff

49. "Close My Eyes Forever" - Lita Ford and Ozzy Osbourne

50. "She Wants to Dance with Me" - Rick Astley

51. "So Alive" - Love and Rockets

52. "The Living Years" - Mike + The Mechanics

53. "If You Don't Know Me by Now" - Simply Red

54. "Poison" - Alice Cooper

55. "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - Poison

56. "The Way You Love Me" - Karyn White

57. "Waiting for a Star to Fall" - Boy Meets Girl

58. "Look Away" - Chicago

59. "It's No Crime" - Babyface

60. "Real Love" - Jody Watley

61. "Dreamin'" - Vanessa Williams

62. "I Don't Want Your Love" - Duran Duran

63. "What You Don't Know" - Exposé

64. "Cold Hearted" - Paula Abdul

65. "Rock Wit'cha" - Bobby Brown

66. "All This Time" - Tiffany

67. "Thinking of You" - Sa-Fire

68. "Surrender to Me" - Ann Wilson and Robin Zander

69. "The End of the Innocence" - Don Henley

70. "Soldier of Love" - Donny Osmond

71. "When the Children Cry" - White Lion

72. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul

73. "Satisfied" - Richard Marx

74. "Wild Thing" - Tone Lōc

75. "Lost in Your Eyes" - Debbie Gibson

76. "Don't Wanna Lose You" - Gloria Estefan

77. "Giving You the Best That I Got" - Anita Baker

78. "Cover Girl" - New Kids on the Block

79. "Second Chance" - .38 Special

80. "Heaven Help Me" - Deon Estus

81. "I Wanna Have Some Fun" - Samantha Fox

82. "Hangin' Tough" - New Kids on the Block

83. "After All" - Cher and Peter Cetera

84. "Two Hearts" - Phil Collins

85. "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler

86. "I'll Be Loving You (Forever)" - New Kids on the Block

87. "Batdance" - Prince

88. "Shower Me With Your Love" - Surface

89. "When I See You Smile" - Bad English

90. "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" - Great White

91. "I Like It" - Dino

92. "Right Here Waiting" - Richard Marx

93. "Blame It on the Rain" - Milli Vanilli

94. "Rock On" - Michael Damian

95. "Girl You Know It's True" - Milli Vanilli

96. "Heaven" - Warrant

97. "Baby Don't Forget My Number" - Milli Vanilli

98. "Girl I'm Gonna Miss You" - Milli Vanilli

99. "Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird Medley" - Will to Power

100. "How Can I Fall?" - Breathe

• Like 1

Like others have said, do what’s right for you. If you want to end the topic or put it on hiatus, I’m cool with that. Love you dude ❤️

Your thoughts on Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Love Shack, and Express Yourself, please ?