• Advertisement

Wumbo Ranks Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Charts! (Ahhh, the deed is done.)

Wumbo

Me complimenting on how much I enjoy reading these lists would sound as redundant as 4EverGreen beating a dead horse on how much he doesn’t like Justin Bieber.

Can’t wait to see you tackle the best songs of this awesome year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

Unpopular opinion time; I don't think "Too Much Heaven; Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?; My Life"; and "Ring My Bell" were bad songs! I mean, they're STILL better than anything Justin Bieber has put out during his entire musical career! :rolleyes: Can't wait for the best songs of this year! :D Enough said! ;)

hi todd phillips

Oh yeah, here we go. Do I even have to introduce this year? It's yet another great year from a great decade. There's really not much more to say regarding how much I love the 70s.

And we're almost done with them! We are seriously nearing the end of this crazy train ride, and with it comes the eventual end of covering these wonderful, wonderful years of the 70s. Are there good years in other decades? Absolutely! But no decade has even come close to being as consistently good as this one. Rock on, 70s. Forever.

Or maybe disco on. As I said, big, humungous year for disco music. As I love disco, naturally I loved this year. We'll see how much of it takes up my top 10. Speaking of my top 10, let's get to my top 10!

Wumbo's Top 10 Hits of 1979

Spoiler

So, may as well jump into the disco tunes, right? Off we go!

10. "Got to Be Real" - Cheryl Lynn

I'll be honest: I may love disco music so much because a lot of these songs I recognize from commercials in my childhood. Yeah, I don't know. Seems that the 2000s in Canada had a disco resurgence by way of commercial. A bit different than the way we do things now, where we just mass-market the shit out of alt rock radio. But yeah, I definitely remember hearing this on a commercial. Lemme see if I can find it...

What the hell was that? Anyway...

Commercial or not, this song definitely holds up. It's just a simple disco jam with a dynamite singer at the front. She's got the presence and power to sell me this song completely. It sounds like she's having so much fun at the mic.

And it's just a fun song all around. It's a simple euphoric love jam, and that's all it needs to be. Rock on! Or, yeah, disco on rather.

Spoiler

And while we're on the topic of disco music, we may as well give it up to the Queen of Disco herself, Donna Summer!

9. "Bad Girls" - Donna Summer

To me, it was this woman that was the true star of disco. She had so much more presence, charisma, and energy than the Bee Gees, it was kinda ridiculous. This song should be more than enough proof of that. This song flows so smoothly you can slide right down it.

And of course, Donna Summer at the front of the track just heightens the excitement all the more. She has such a natural stage presence behind the mic. She's so loose with her vocals, yet she has complete control over the song. A true superstar.

Donna Summer wrote this song after one of her friends was offended by a police officer who mistook her for a street prostitute. so the song basically functions as a sarcastic send-off to that officer, talking about all the naughty bad girls on the streets. I wonder if these random people have any idea that they're the inspiration for these songs. I wonder if they sleep well at night.

In any case, the song pops, and it's awesome. Toot toot! Beep beep!

Spoiler

Michael Jackson had been going solo for a few years at this point, but as far as I'm concerned 1979 was the start of his superstardom as a solo artist, starting with the fantastic song "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough". Now, I love that song. But it's not on my list. What did make the list? Well... I guess in 1979, I wasn't quite ready for Michael to leave his family yet.

8. "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)" - The Jacksons

Now, I will admit that I like the vocal performance better on "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough". I love how Michael nails that falsetto. But this song simply has more groove to it. I love the beat on this song. It's this bouncing guitar-driven beat that carries the whole song. It's just structured better than the other one, and honestly has more replay value to me.

Honestly, the songs are pretty similar otherwise. I would choose either of them when it's time to dance. But this is the song I think I would come back to more. It's a solidly structured disco jam about dancing! So shake your body down to the ground, enjoy yourself, and blame it on the boogie. It's the best I got.

Spoiler

Now, disco is great. But I can see how people might reject it for being overproduced and overstuffed with effects on the singer's voices or whatever. Autotune may not have been in town yet, but there was still plenty of cause to call some music "phony" and "not real music". You'll notice by the quote marks that I think these arguments are mostly bullshit, and I don't even know if they were being used back then. But just in case they were... here ya go, a disco song that's just about as "natural talent" as you can get. Helps that it's also awesome.

7. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor

You knew this song had to be on my list, right? It is one of the disco tunes of the 70s. And how! It's got a great, simple message, one that can be very empowering to many people, and like I said, it's got that "natural" appeal. This is about as raw a disco song as you can get. No background singers, no pitch shifting. Just Gloria Gaynor giving it her all. That's pretty awesome.

I really don't know what else to say, except... fuck the Cake version.

Eeergh. Keep your 90s irony away from my great disco music. Thank you. Gloria Gaynor absolutely kills here, and honestly, I don't see anyone being able to match it. This is one of those songs that everyone has to have heard at least once, because it's just that amazing and universal. It is the "fuck you" song to an ex, and that is truly respectable. Helps that you can dance to it as well. As long as great music like this survives, so should we.

Spoiler

Are you tired of the disco scene yet? Well, too bad! Have some more. Bwahahahahaha!

6. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer

At the very least, this disco track has more of a rock edge to it, which should help to break up the monotony somewhat. Disco artists borrowing from rock definitely works better on the whole than rock artists borrowing from disco... but we'll get to the exceptions later. For now, Donna Summer again! Queen of disco.

Here, Donna Summer proves that she can also ride a rock groove, courtesy of Jeff Baxter from the Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan. That is an awesome solo. And the song mixes rock and disco so effectively, making it a perfect hybrid between the two genres. Put in simpler words, it's hot stuff.

Spoiler

All right, all right. A different song. Something other than disco. What could I put here?

Oh! Well, remember the question I posed at the beginning of my unveiling of the year?

"Will anything beat The Knack for the top spot?"

Yeah... well, four songs did, it turns out. But that speaks more to the quality of the year, than this song. Which is awesome. Always.

5. "My Sharona" - The Knack

I legitimately can't think of a more pitch-perfect power pop song. This hits all the marks that a power pop song needs to. It's loud, it's energetic, it pulsates, it's simple, yet it has some of the best fucking rhymes pop music has ever had. Anyone who's ever heard this song should already be aware of its greatness. And if you haven't yet... well, what the hell have you been doing with your life? Go and listen to it! Now! Come back here later.

You back? You've all listened to it? Good. NOW WASN'T THAT THE GREATEST THING YOU EVER HEARD??

Like I said, four songs beat out this one. It's hard to match perfection, let alone surpass it. But that shouldn't take away from the masterclass of power pop writing this is. Right down to the amazing guitar solo at the end to let loose. I love this song. I have to imagine many a girl was named "Sharona" after this came out. And for good reason. This song fuckin' rules.

Spoiler

So how do you beat out perfection? With more perfection, of course!

4. "September" - Earth, Wind & Fire

Oh, maaaan, was this a good year for Earth, Wind & Fire. I've always loved them every single year, but 1979 was where they really found their groove and transitioned well into the disco feel of the late 70's. This song is just so happy. I absolutely love it. It's impossible to listen to this song and not groove. The first person to do it should be studied.

"September" is probably the best showing of Earth, Wind & Fire's talents. They have amazing singers and amazing musicians, and they know how to make a funky dance groove like no other. I love that chorus. It is euphoric.

"September" is one of those songs that always puts me in a good mood, no matter what. It is a powerful song, and it harnesses the power of joy. BA DEE YAH DEE YAH DEE YAH....

Spoiler

Now, I've already said that The Knack's song is power pop perfection. And I stand by that! It is carefully crafted to be the world's greatest power pop song. I think the only thing that could beat it in the genre is if you had a live version to make a good song amazing.

And this year, we got just that.

3. "I Want You to Want Me" - Cheap Trick

For comparison's sake, let's take a listen to the version from 1977.

A great song, to be sure. I love me some Cheap Trick any time of the week. But the live version absolutely knocks it out of the park. It takes the power pop sensibilities of the original and pumps them up for a live performance. This is the first version I heard of this song, and for good reason. This is the one that demands to be played on the radio. It goes through the exact same process as Kiss's "Rock and Roll All Nite". A live makeover is just what this song needed.

And yes, this does elevate it above "My Sharona" for me. "My Sharona" may be the perfect power pop song, but this live version transcends power pop into something completely new and wonderful. It is bursting with energy and charisma, and it is so fun to sing along to. God, what a fantastic rendition. What a great band.

Spoiler

Yeah...this shit again.

I wanted to talk about the "disco sucks" period in music history again, if only to try to pinpoint exactly what were the contributing factors to disco's demise. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with racism and homophobia, but I also think a part of it was artists latching on to a trend they didn't know much about, and making, quite frankly, bad music.

I'm sorry, just... everything about the Stones' disco period was flat terrible. It was clear they were out of their element the whole time, and they truly did not understand the power of disco music. Thank god they went back to their roots in '81.

So, why do I bring all of this up here? Well, I think that despite some artists who were not previously disco adapting the disco movement terribly to their music, there were a few artists who unfairly got lumped in with the rock sellouts who were making credible disco music that was, y'know, actually enjoyable to listen to. Music should be enjoyable to listen to, I don't think that's too much to ask. Anyway, this whole thing is about Blondie.

2. "Heart of Glass" - Blondie

See, the thing about Blondie is they were always genre-shifters. People try to peg them down, but they've done everything from power pop to new wave to reggae to disco. They're genre-hoppers! It's only natural they would try out disco at some point. And for what it's worth, I think the transition works exceptionally well.

I think what anchors the band, and what allows them to experiment so much with their sound, is Debbie Harry's angelic voice. She totally soars over this song with her airy, wistful vocals. And for what it's worth, the tight grooves of power pop really translate well to disco for this band. I love the drums on this song. Drummers really deserve more credit in general. Not everyone is a Bonham, but not everyone needs to be. Clem Burke. Remember his name.

I love Blondie. I think they're one of those perfect bands that no one really talks about because they're perfect in an under-the-radar way. So what could possibly top them on this list? Well...

Spoiler

Disco. The year was for disco. And thus, a disco song tops my list. But not just a disco song. The disco song. Yeah, yeah, I know I already said it with Gloria Gaynor, but at the end of the day, I believe disco is about dance. And a disco song should telling me to dance. Dance. DANCE!

1. "Boogie Wonderland" - Earth, Wind & Fire & The Emotions

You know, I said that "September" was the best showcase for Earth, Wind & Fire's talent. But pairing them with The Emotions just pumps up their talent even further. This is the best song either artist has been a part of, and it is the perfect song to close off my top 10 list of 1979. I truly, with all my heart, love the spirit of this song. I believe that music should make you feel, give you energy, or both. This song does both. It gives me such an unbridled joy that this song exists. Everything about it is perfect. It is the perfect disco song, and even though there was great competition, it is definitely my favourite song of 1979. DANCE!

Full List:

Spoiler

1. "Boogie Wonderland" - Earth, Wind & Fire & The Emotions

2. "Heart of Glass" - Blondie

3. "I Want You to Want Me" - Cheap Trick

4. "September" - Earth, Wind & Fire

5. "My Sharona" - The Knack

6. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer

7. "I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor

8. "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)" - The Jacksons

9. "Bad Girls" - Donna Summer

10. "Got to Be Real" - Cheryl Lynn

11. "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

12. "Dance the Night Away" - Van Halen

13. "Sultans of Swing" - Dire Straits

14. "Double Vision" - Foreigner

15. "Every 1's a Winner" - Hot Chocolate

16. "Everytime I Think of You" - The Babys

17. "Heaven Knows" - Donna Summer and Brooklyn Dreams

18. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" - The Charlie Daniels Band

19. "Knock on Wood" - Amii Stewart

20. "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" - McFadden & Whitehead

21. "Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)" - Robert Palmer

22. "Renegade" - Styx

23. "Gold" - John Stewart

24. "Le Freak" - Chic

25. "MacArthur Park" - Donna Summer

26. "The Boss" - Diana Ross

27. "We Are Family" - Sister Sledge

28. "What You Won't Do for Love" - Bobby Caldwell

29. "I Want Your Love" - Chic

30. "I Love the Nightlife" - Alicia Bridges

31. "Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy" - Bad Company

32. "Lead Me On" - Maxine Nightingale

33. "Chuck E.'s in Love" - Rickie Lee Jones

34. "Lonesome Loser" - Little River Band

35. "Shine a Little Love" - Electric Light Orchestra

36. "Don't Bring Me Down" - Electric Light Orchestra

37. "Hold the Line" - Toto

38. "Fire" - The Pointer Sisters

39. "Born to Be Alive" - Patrick Hernandez

40. "Love is the Answer" - England Dan & John Ford Coley

41. "A Little More Love" - Olivia Newton-John

42. "He's the Greatest Dancer" - Sister Sledge

43. "Lotta Love" - Nicolette Larson

44. "Good Times" - Chic

45. "I Was Made for Lovin' You" - KISS

46. "Strange Way" - Firefall

47. "I Just Wanna Stop" - Gino Vannelli

48. "We've Got Tonight" - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

49. "Sail On" - Commodores

50. "I Do Love You" - GQ

51. "Somewhere in the Night" - Barry Manilow

52. "I Got My Mind Made Up (You Can Get It Girl)" - Instant Funk

53. "Disco Nights (Rock-Freak)" - GQ

54. "Ooo Baby Baby" - Linda Ronstadt

55. "After the Love Has Gone" - Earth, Wind & Fire

56. "Take Me Home" - Cher

57. "Rise" - Herb Alpert

58. "The Gambler" - Kenny Rogers

59. "Goodnight Tonight" - Wings

60. "New York Groove" - Ace Frehley

61. "I Was Made for Dancin'" - Leif Garrett

62. "Heaven Must Have Sent You" - Bonnie Pointer

63. "Stumblin' In" - Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman

64. "Y.M.C.A." - Village People

65. "Shake Your Groove Thing" - Peaches & Herb

66. "The Main Event/Fight" - Barbra Streisand

67. "Reunited" - Peaches & Herb

68. "I Just Fall in Love Again" - Anne Murray

69. "Tragedy" - Bee Gees

70. "How You Gonna See Me Now" - Alice Cooper

71. "I'll Never Love This Way Again" - Dionne Warwick

72. "Lady" - Little River Band

73. "Dancin' Shoes" - Nigel Olsson

74. "Mama Can't Buy You Love" - Elton John

75. "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away" - Andy Gibb

76. "How Much I Feel" - Ambrosia

77. "Suspicions" - Eddie Rabbitt

78. "Love You Inside Out" - Bee Gees

79. "What a Fool Believes" - The Doobie Brothers

80. "You Take My Breath Away" - Rex Smith

81. "Time Passages" - Al Stewart

82. "Shake It" - Ian Matthews

83. "Music Box Dancer" - Frank Mills

84. "In the Navy" - Village People

85. "Get Used to It" - Roger Voudouris

86. "Promises" - Eric Clapton

87. "She Believes in Me" - Kenny Rogers

88. "The Logical Song" - Supertramp

89. "When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman" - Dr. Hook

90. "Makin' It" - David Naughton

91. "You Can't Change That" - Raydio

92. "Don't Cry Out Loud" - Melissa Manchester

93. "Too Much Heaven" - Bee Gees

94. "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" - Rod Stewart

95. "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" - Neil Diamond & Barbra Streisand

96. "Sad Eyes" - Robert John

97. "My Life" - Billy Joel

98. "Sharing the Night Together" - Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show

99. "Just When I Needed You Most" - Randy VanWarmer

100. "Ring My Bell" - Anita Ward

• Like 5

Thoughts on: "In the Navy; What a Fool Believes; Reunited; Take Me Home; After the Love Has Gone; He's the Greatest Dancer; Born to Be Alive; Rock n' Roll Fantasy; We Are Family; Le Freak; Knock On Wood; Devil Went Down to Georgia; Double Vision; Dance the Night Away;" and "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" when you have the time, please.

• Like 1

"Hold the Line": The hate that Toto has received in some cases is waaaay overblown. Are they a fantastic rock band? No, but they've made many a good song and this is one of them, in my opinion.

"The Logical Song": In the world of prog rock, Supertramp is one of the most unlistenable of the bunch. It almost feels like their songs aren't finished a lot of the time. This for example, is a completely jumbled mess.

"Don't Bring Me Down": Great ELO song. I think I just prefer their forays into mixing classical music with 70s prog rock.

"Good Times": Lotta disco to sift through this year. Some stuff got lost in the shuffle, and this was one of those songs. Nothing wrong with it, perfectly fine song. But it's also not really distinctive in any way.

"Bad Case of Loving You": Definitely the best Robert Palmer song I've ever heard. He works better when he's not drenched in 80s synth cheese.

"Sultans of Swing": Sooo close to making my list., but it just couldn't get there.

"Rise": Instrumentals are pretty hard to win me over. They have to be pretty much outstanding to even have a shot at making my best list. This is certainly interesting, but I don't really get anything emotionally from listening to it. Of course, it is the basis of my favourite hit song from 1997, so credit where credit's due.

"Y.M.C.A.": There is a part of me that does love this song in all its cheesy glory, but another, larger part of me could not justify putting it higher than I did, especially in a year as great as this one. Still, i may have underrated it a little.

"MacArthur Park": Donna Summer is so good that she does the impossible and makes this song listenable. The 17-minute version mixed with "Heaven Knows" is... well, heavenly.

"I Love the Nightlife": Alicia Bridges has surprising presence as a singer for a one-hit wonder.

"In the Navy": On the contrary to "Y.M.C.A.", this song has nowhere near the same charm or longevity for me. Hell, where is "Macho Man"? I might have put that song in my Top 10 if I was feeling daring.

"What a Fool Believes": Nowhere near this band's best song. I barely remember it after each listen.

"Reunited": A nice enough ballad, but fell short when it came to this year's greatness.

"Take Me Home": Jesus, everyone was trying disco this year, weren't they? This song's okay.

"After the Love Has Gone": I love EWF in case you couldn't tell, but this song doesn't hold a candle to the other two that charted from them this year. Still, not bad.

"He's the Greatest Dancer": Again, this song was better used when it was the backing beat for a rap song I love from the late 90's. As is, though, it's still pretty good.

"Born to Be Alive": Wasn't this in a National Lampoon's Vacation movie or something? That's how I remember it, anyway. Nice, quirky little song.

"Rock n' Roll Fantasy": Bad Company are a dependable sorta rock band that never really elevate to being excellent, but are always consistently good.

"We Are Family": Great song. I think over-exposure may have killed it for me slightly, but I still love it.

"Knock on Wood": Jesus, it's like this song was begging to be disco-fied. This sounds so good.

"The Devil Went Down to Georgia": This song is gimmicky as hell, and that's why I couldn't let it go any higher on my list, but damn if it isn't masterful as well.

"Double Vision": Foreigner is always amazing. Always.

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough": I thought I covered this enough in my Jacksons review, but basically this song is just about on par with that one.

Pretty much everything you didn’t cover that was on my worst list from this year:

Suspicions

You Take My Breath Away

Hold the Line

Dancin Shoes

Goodnight Tonight

I Just Fall in Love Again

• Like 1

"Suspicions": Nothing more than a middle-of-the-road song about jealousy in a relationship. couldn't find much of a reason to hate it or like it.

"You Take My Breath Away": I literally don't even remember this one,

"Hold the Line": Look up. (smirk)

"Dancin' Shoes": Man, you must have taken a page from me when making your worst list for this year because I couldn't tell you a thing about these songs now. I remember absolutely nothing about this one.

"Goodnight Tonight": As far as Wings songs go, this one really isn't that bad. It's charming enough.

"I Just Fall in Love Again": Anne Murray is basically a Canadian treasure, so no matter how bland her songs get, I couldn't fathom putting her on a worst list. (Unless I have, I may have forgot.)

4 hours ago, Wumbo said:

"I Just Fall in Love Again": Anne Murray is basically a Canadian treasure, so no matter how bland her songs get, I couldn't fathom putting her on a worst list. (Unless I have, I may have forgot.)

You have.  Don’t ask me which one but I know I’ve seen her on your worst list previously. (smirk) 

• Thanks 1

All right, new year on the agenda: what do we have for May? Well, let's revisit yet another somewhat-neglected decade and see what it had to offer at the very beginning. That's right, we're going back to...

Man, it's a hot one.

Welcome back, everyone! We all survived Y2K, right? Was 2000 worth the scare? Yeah, honestly. I think it was.

I'm not gonna pretend like this year was anything spectacular, but after doing this year I've decided that the early 2000s get too much shit. Coming off of the party half of the 90s, there was still plenty of great music to go around in 2000. But was any of it bad? Well, sure! In fact, these worst songs are terrible! I'm not looking forward to this at ALL! But in order to bring you the best list... first I gotta bring you the worst. So let's get to it.

Wumbo's Bottom 10 Hits of 2000

Spoiler

I liked this year overall but there was a loooot of interchangeable R&B. It's not a genre I grew up with, so I may be biased in that sense. But after a while, you just kinda grow numb to the never-ending slog of samey-sounding hits. So I decided to put just one song here to kind of serve as a placeholder for all of them.

10. "Bring it All to Me" - Blaque

I know, it's not fair to just kind of go with a random song if you don't have particularly strong animosity towards it. But really, if you don't like this choice, just pick any other random no-name R&B song and slot it here. This really isn't the worst of the bunch. But I felt absolutely nothing listening to it, and it just got stuck down here. Having an 'N Sync member that isn't Justin Timberlake on the track doesn't help... but we'll get to them later.

Are you feeling my Timb's?
My baggy jeans?
My thug appeal?

Pfffft. I'm sorry, what?

My thug appeal?

Kid... you're developing a solo career coming off a boy band. Hell, you haven't even left that boy band. You don't have thug appeal. Of course, the more people forget you were ever part of a boy band, the better your reputation as a "thug" may seem. So you're doing a good job remaining anonymous, J.D. Salinger. Don't try to develop a personality or anything.

As I said, if you don't like this specific pick, then fill in your own. But after revisiting this... J.G. Wentworth really does bring down the credibility of this song with his wannabe macho posturing. so it's as good a choice as any.

Spoiler

It is downright absurd to me that this is shaping up to be the #1 hit country song of the year. I feel like if you're going to make that list at all, you should at least pick songs that qualify as country. Is Florida Georgia Line's presence the barometer that measures how country a song is now? Blow me.

But I'd be lying if I said that the pop-ification of country music was a problem that didn't exist before this year. You could argue that bro-country was a huge offender of this, stealing hip hop slang and references, desperately trying to sound cool. And despite this song not being remotely bro-country, it has that exact same feel to me. Country music desperately trying to be cool, and desperately failing.

9. "The Way You Love Me" - Faith Hill

This song actually made the year-end list in 2001 too, but I left it off my worst list then because... well, it's Faith Hill. She's got a wonderful voice, no matter what she's on. But listening to this again... yeah, this Autotune is absolutely unbearable. Not to mention the awful, awful production. It's so sloppy and artificial. This is definitely a key song to start the trend of fake instrumentation for country songs. And for a genre as rural as country music, yeah, it's kind of a problem. I don't have anything against Autotune on principle, but it flat out does not belong here. Faith Hill doesn't need it and this song doesn't need it. And it's deeply, deeply annoying. It sounds like gargling.

I don't even know what the thought process was here. I know Faith Hill was looking to go more country-pop around this time, but there are ways to do this without sacrificing your dignity as an artist. Hell, she proved that this year with "Breathe"! Thank God that song at least exists, so we had something to like from Faith Hill this year. Because this? Complete garbage.

Spoiler

Okay, so I already talked about the disposable R&B of this year. A surprising number of these songs were breakup or heartache or infidelity songs. Nothing inherently wrong with that, of course. But it does put a bit of sour mood on the year, especially when the songs are as cold and emotionless as this one.

8. "No More" - Ruff Endz

I was hoping for the "Ruff" in this act's title to imply some sort of affiliation with DMX. No such luck. Instead, we got the C-List Dru Hill. Actually, no, I think the C-List Dru Hill was Sisqó's solo career. This is... like, the D-List Blackstreet.

Admittedly, this is a pretty catchy beat, which has more life in it than a lot of these songs this year. But it's all for naught when the crux of the song is "you cheated on me... so I'm not giving you money to shop anymore!" Jesus, did him and Blu Cantrell break up? They deserve each other.

Like I said, not the worst-sounding R&B song. But there's just not enough substance here to justify how good it sounds. Of course if it sounded like dogshit, it would be lower on this list. But as is, it's still a waste of a pretty good beat. And that's ruff.

Spoiler

2000! Somehow still a big year for boy bands. Well, these things don't die out automatically at the turn of the decade. Boy bands were just hitting their heyday in 1998 and '99, so it's natural that some of that would spill over into 2000. And I try not to hate on boy bands too much. They know what they're about, and they make exactly the kind of shallow, brainless music you'd expect. Sometimes it even ends up being pretty good. But with the surprisingly good... there's also the shockingly bad.

7. "It's Gonna Be Me" - 'N Sync

I have tried time and time again to stick up for 'N Sync. To make it clear, they have never TOUCHED a best list of mine, and they never will. But they're not... as bad as people say? Kinda? Sorta? There's like, one song I like by them. But this song. Jeeesus Christ. There is no justifying this unlistenable piece of garbage.

It's like they took "Bye Bye Bye" and just amplified everything already annoying about that song. And no, I don't like "Bye Bye Bye". Sorry. But it's still better than this. There's still some kind of catchy melody in the chorus there. This song just jerks you around from beginning to end. Every sound in it is jarring. And that's not even counting the whine of our preening little boys here.

See, this is what J.R. Ewing was talking about when he mentioned his "thug appeal". It is truly thuggish to play a part in making this song and then to release it to the public. Actually, "release" is such a neutral word. I prefer "inflict upon". This song is an ear infection. It's loud and boisterous and annoying, and the only reason people still remember it now is precisely to make fun of how irritating it is. All I can say is, thank god we're in June.

Spoiler

You know, I bagged on that Faith Hill song already. It's annoying and it's clumsy. It's a representation of exactly what not to do in country pop. But I'd still take it over this.

6. "I Need You" - LeAnn Rimes

LeAnn Rimes is so very, very dull. I've been over this before. Is she talented? Yes. But she's also a personality-free milkweed of a performer. And that gets turned up to 11 when she makes an honest-to-god Christian song. No joke. This charted and it was off a soundtrack to this film:

Jesus Christ. I mean, literally.

I dunno, I guess the film doesn't look that bad. But we all know what to expect from Christian music. And this is just about the most twee, wholesome, boilerplate piece of bland you can get from the genre. I'm sorry, LeAnn Rimes. I don't need you.

Spoiler

I can't... I can't fucking do it with this band anymore. This is my limit. I'm done.

5. "Higher" - Creed

I try to tolerate Creed as best as I can, because for all their faults, they have some sort of ambition, or at least mission statement in their lyrics. But for whatever reason, "Higher" is my breaking point with them. I am never going to stick up for this song. There is no reason to ever make a song that is this pseudo-inspirational while still sounding like absolute sludge. What the hell is this? Why was this made?

Well, I know why it was released as a single at least. Because if it wasn't, we wouldn't have yet another hilarious Creed video. Jesus, this one. This might be the best yet, with all the random zoom-ins and Scott Stapp doing his best impression of frat douche Jesus. But a masterpiece in video doesn't make up for a shit song. And with the exception of one other Creed song, this might be the worst.

So, what is this steaming turd about? It's about lucid dreaming. No shit. Creed, one of the ugliest bands in rock music, decided to write a song about lucid dreaming. This goes together about as well as sauerkraut and jelly. But yeah, Scott Stapp wrote a song about how great it is to dream. So the lyrics are basically meaningless; they don't have any real world application or message. Although I do mishear "golden streets" as "golden streams" a lot, which... lol. Still doesn't save the song though. Creed needs to stay in their lane and make ugly songs for their ugly band. The power of dreaming just isn't in their wheelhouse. Congratulations, Creed. Finally a well-deserved position on one of my worst lists.

Spoiler

Why can't I escape Celine Dion? Why does she have to show up here every year she's on the list? Why can't I go one year without hating a Celine Dion song?

...And why is she getting produced like a boy band?

4. "That's The Way It Is" - Celine Dion

Okay, I know that boy bands and teenage acts still existed well into this decade. But did we have to bubblegum up our adult artists, too? Who thought it was a good idea to have Celine Dion sing over the beat for "As Long As You Love Me"? This was never going to be a good idea. And as a result, you get the most infuriatingly innocent song of 2000. I hate this with a burning passion. Even if I'm not a fan of very many Celine Dion songs, I still know where her strengths are! And they don't lie with singing over a beat like this. She needs a big production for her big voice. 2000 seems to be the year of bad production failing good singers, and that's a damn shame.

Spoiler

Okay, last R&B song, I swear. But this one goes the extra mile. It's quite possibly the douchiest track I've heard this year. And we're talking a year with two Creed songs. That bad, people.

3. "He Can't Love U" - Jagged Edge

I barely know who these guys are, but they certainly live up to their name of being a jagged edge of this genre. The song is unlistenable from the very beginning, with 30 seconds straight of the same vocal sample. "OOH-ooh, OOH-ooh, OOH-ooh..." SHUT UP.

But it gets better. Here's the song's message, in a nutshell: "Yeah, I cheated on you and/or lied to you, but your new boyfriend's a total pussy!" Oh yeah. That makes me want to take your side! Especially after that awful intro. Boyz II Men these guys are not.

I feel like with all the boring R&B we got this year, we could have at least swapped out these guys for something else. This song somehow manages to be both generic and ugly at the same time. Which I'd almost call an accomplishment, but then again it  makes me never want to listen to this song again, so how about we just forget about it and go on with our lives like this never existed? Pretty easy to do. Done.

Spoiler

So! What could be worse than a boy band? A British boy band!

All right, fine. They're not all bad. But around this time, being a British boy band is basically a guarantee that you're not going to be any good. You don't have the sleek production or the charm of an American boy band to be anything lasting. Instead... you're BBMak.

2. "Back Here" - BBMak

Aww! Isn't this cute? You know, none of them have ever had a proper lesson. And yet here they are, performing to us for the first time. Doesn't it just make you want to... retch?

This is exactly what I mean. This feels like a bargain bin version of a boy band. There's no way anyone's going to say, "Oh, BBMak was my LIFE back in high school." Even if you were British, there was Take That, or, God help you, Five Ive.  There is no reason to revisit this band, and honestly, they shouldn't have been visited in the first place. What a waste of airplay.

Spoiler

This is "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden.

You wouldn't think that this band would have it in them to make another one of these, much less an even worse version of it. But Savage Garden apparently never fails to disappoint! We got a worse version of "Truly Madly Deeply" this year. And it is, without a doubt, the worst song of this year.

1. "I Knew I Loved You" - Savage Garden

Do I have to even say anything here? I think I summed it up pretty nicely already. This is a legitimately worse version of the worst hit song of 1998. That should be enough for you!

At the very least, the very VERY least, "Truly Madly Deeply" had some semblance of buildup and payoff with its verses and chorus. This is bland milquetoast trash all the way through. I don't understand why we always seem to go for the lowest common denominator with love songs. Love is such a powerful emotion! You'd think we'd want powerful songs to represent that, not this twee hokey nonsense.

I can actually feel my body going numb from listening to this. This song is an anaesthetic in its ugliest form. It's a nothing of a song, and Savage Garden is a band with severely squandered potential. End this fucking thing before I go into a coma.

• Like 4
  • God Himself 1

All right! Time to stand up for this year and explain why it was, in fact, a good year.

Because it was! It really was. When the artists were on top of their game, they honestly released some of the best music of their careers. And as always, the cream rises to the top. So let's check out these great songs, and give a hearty send-off to the first taste of the new millennium!

Wumbo's Top 10 Hits of 2000

Spoiler

Okay, so how to make a case for this Top 10 being great? I know! Let's put a meme song in the first spot!

...God, I don't think these things through.

10. "The Next Episode" - Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg

Okay! Before this song was memed to death by MLG videos and stoners, it was simply a song off of Dr. Dre's 2001 album, intended as a sequel to "Nuthin' But a G Thang". It does its job just fine. This beat, as always with Dr. Dre, is killer. Great samples to carry Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, and Nate Dogg's huge presences. I don't ever think I'm going to totally buy Dr. Dre as a great rapper, but he's definitely got a personality and he has the beats to back it up. So I can't front.

But the two Doggs are what make the song for me. Snoop delivers a great verse from a time just before he was starting to change personas, and could still pull off thug life. And Nate Dogg is always great to hear. Always. It's no wonder he gets the most memed part of this song with the capper, "smoke weed everyday". If you're in the know, you know. You know?

*sigh* I kind of wish this song didn't get overshadowed by the memes, but then again it is kind of a goofy song in parts, so it makes sense. In any case, the beat still kicks ass and it left fans with bated breath for Dr. Dre's next episode... hey, is Detox out yet?

Spoiler

Of course, if you really wanted to party with rap in 2000... there was only one real option.

9. "Party Up (Up in Here)" - DMX

God, I finally get to talk about DMX here. Can I just say it is a goddamn crime that Ja Rule got so many hits on the Hot 100 and yet this is the first time I've encountered DMX as the main artist? God, you people don't know what's good for you.

I love this song. If Dr. Dre's beat is slick, this one is an absolute fireball. It just pumps you up and makes you ready to party at the drop of a hat. You're gonna act a fool and lose your cool, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And DMX is such a towering presence himself. Seriously, fuck Ja Rule. I will never understand why people wanted the watered-down version of this style when DMX was staring them right in the face. Hell, I'm surprised that his staring them in the face didn't make them too scared to listen to anything else. Would you stand up to DMX and say you'd rather listen to Ja Rule? I wouldn't, even if I liked the guy.

But enough about him. DMX is who we've got for 2000, and it is such a goddamn blessing to hear actual bite and fury in a rap song again. God, I miss DMX. We could definitely use an injection of his style in 2018.

Spoiler

And speaking of rappers who once had bite and fury, damn, what the fuck happened to Eminem?

Eminem collaborating with Ed Sheeran. This sounds absolutely absurd, but it happened! And from how far Eminem has fallen with his last album, it sadly makes more and more sense as you think about it. But still... Eminem relying on Ed Sheeran for relevance. Sheesh. A far cry from back when a rap collaboration meant double the ferocity.

8. "Forgot About Dre" - Dr. Dre ft. Eminem

Dr. Dre and Eminem used to work so well together back when both of them were still on top of their game. I mean, it only makes sense. One basically discovered the other and made him into a household name. It's almost like father and son releasing a song together. Only a lot less wholesome than you'd imagine it to be.

And Jesus Christ, this is back when Dr. Dre could address criticism properly. This is back when forgetting about Dre could still be considered a crime in music and not just... something that happens when you don't release your follow-up for over a decade. Also, Dr. Dre was just plain better before he got old and tired. For that matter, so was Eminem. This is definitely Dr. Dre at some of his best in front of the mic, and Eminem backs him up spectacularly. Again, the father-son collaboration you didn't even know you wanted.

Spoiler

Wow! That was a lot of rap to get through. Let's switch tones, shall we? Maybe something a little lighter? Something that is so light and airy, you can't help but be charmed.

...At least, I hope. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna get laughed out of the room for this next pick.

7. "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" - Nine Days

Oh god... this song. If I had to pick the earwormiest song to ever exist, this would probably be it. Once you hear it, it will never leave. It will keep following you for the rest of your life. You'll be innocently brushing your teeth or going to school or filing taxes... and suddenly... THIS IIIIIS THE STORY OF A GIRRRRL

And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Gin Blossoms weren't doing anything this year, so I'm perfectly happy to receive the kiddish version of them. Yeah, this song isn't exactly a lyrical masterpiece or anything. I've been reading Nine Days' Wikipedia page and they cite influences such as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young... sure, guys. But it's got exactly the same qualities that make the Gin Blossoms so great: a maddeningly catchy hook, a manic energy tightly controlled in the melody, and a singsongy feel that just makes you happy. The difference is, this song actually is supposed to be happy. Which does make it a lesser Gin Blossoms song, but still. I'm always happy to hear it, and I haven't stopped listening since it came out. Even if involuntarily.

Spoiler

Oh, 3 Doors Down. Will I ever be able to forgive you for this? Oh no, not the Trump concert. I mean forcing me to put the same song on a best list twice.

6. "Kryptonite" - 3 Doors Down

Yes, it's "Kryptonite" again. And yeah, 3 Doors Down haven't exactly been in my good graces since that fateful concert. But I can't help it, this song still kicks ass.

I want to draw attention this time around to Matt Roberts' guitar work, because it really is what holds this song together. He also died from a drug overdose a few years ago, so I figured it'd be best for me to pay tribute this way. He died at 38, which is way too early for anyone to go. And he certainly had a great talent for riffs and rhythm, which are both showcased in this song. Rest in peace, Matt. You did good.

Song's still as awesome as always. As I said before, it presents a bit of a new perspective on the commitments to a relationship, not letting jealousy get in the way of your love for your partner. And it's just a powerhouse performance all the way through. 3 Doors Down would never sound this good again, but this is a damn good song to constantly be living up to.

Spoiler

This is not only a Billboard hit, it is one of the biggest Billboard hits of all time. In the 50-year retrospective, it placed second. Second only to "The Twist". And of all the songs that could have done so, I'm glad it was one as deserving as this.

5. "Smooth" - Santana ft. Rob Thomas

"Smooth" was basically proof that absolutely anything could happen in 1999 and get big. Think about it: a Latin rock band that hadn't been heard from in years, featuring a middlingly popular alt rock band frontman. It sounds crazy on paper. But it worked. Oh god, did it work.

This song is not only legendary by itself for its... well, smoothness, but it also changed both Santana's and Rob Thomas's careers forever. Matchbox 20 finally gained the widespread commercial success they had been biting at for quite some time, and Santana found a new path to stay relevant for another few years. Without "Smooth" we wouldn't have "The Game of Love", that's for damn sure.

God, it's so hard to talk about such a mammoth success of a song. It's definitely bigger than me. If you've somehow never heard this song before... you need to listen to it immediately. This is one of the best examples of what can happen with the power of the zeitgeist: good music can be wildly popular, and still last to this day. Fucking phenomenal.

Spoiler

This is the most low-key song on this list, and it's not close. Sometimes a slow burn just works, if you have the right singer. And oh boy, do we have the right singer here.

4. "I Try" - Macy Gray

Believe me, it feels weird as hell to be placing this over the cultural juggernaut that is "Smooth". But... I can't help it, guys. This one's really simple for me: I absolutely love this woman's voice. It's not exactly accessible, so I get why she didn't really have hits after this. But I am so glad we got at least one song from her.

This is that singer-songwriter vibe that I can absolutely get into. Usually these kinds of songs don't make my best lists. I can see them as critical darlings, but I admit I need my music to generally be more showy and extravagant. But I can throw all those qualifications away if a song just... works for me. And as I said before, it all comes down to Macy Gray's voice. She absolutely nails this performance and gives it that exact feel I get when I listen to "Story of a Girl", that feel-good notion that somehow everything's gonna be all right. It's not even the happiest of songs lyrically, but it just leaves me with a good, warm feeling.

This is exactly the song I would listen to in a coffeehouse, and I realize that coming from me that sounds like the most backhanded compliment ever, but I mean it with all the sincerity and praise in the world. Songs like this have to try hard to get me to really like them, and this one definitely gets there for me. Fantastic tune, wonderful performance.

Spoiler

Yeah. So all that feel-good stuff is nice, but... man, the tonal shifts in this list. Back to Eminem, everyone!

3. "The Real Slim Shady" - Eminem

Picking a song that is Eminem at his most offensive in his heyday is like picking an M&M at its most chocolaty. Probably a futile exercise. But he certainly pissed off a lot of people with this one. You know how rappers have diss tracks? Well, Eminem uses his lyrical skills and flow to destroy basically everyone in his path, like a rap version of the Terminator. Or at least... he used to.

Uuuuuuuggggh.

But yeah, Eminem pulls no punches with this one. From Christina Aguilera to 'N Sync to... Will Smith (seriously, how do you beef with Will Smith), he has a line for everyone. Circlin', screamin' "I don't give a fuck." This is definitely Eminem at his prime. Not afraid to cover his shiny, almost doofy beats with the filthiest lyrics he can muster up. Nearly every punchline lands, and the ferocity on this track is just spectacular. It may not be the nicest song,  but it's certainly one that cannot be ignored.

Spoiler

You know, all this music can be technically good and whatever, but if a song doesn't evoke a feeling in you then you have every reason not to care for it. Music is one of the most subjective things on this earth, and every song is going to mean something different to someone else. This song had stuck with me since the first time I heard it, and now... well, it means more to me than it ever did before. And that's enough.

2. "Wonderful" - Everclear

I truly, truly wish people knew more about this band. They were an underrated gem to come out of the alt rock scene in the 90s. They touched on subjects in such an evocative and interesting way, managing to keep your attention every time and even tug at your heartstrings.

All right, let me be blunt here. My parents separated recently. My dad's off living somewhere else, I haven't gone to visit him. It hasn't been the happiest of times here. I'm 22, so it's not like this was earth-shattering for me. I get it. But damn it if this song doesn't have that much more meaning for me now. I could already imagine what a child of divorce was feeling through this song back then. Now it just has that little extra meaning.

Not the happiest of stories, no. But that's the power of music: this song still manages to make me feel better because it practices that level of empathy for people going through these tough times. This song gets it, probably because lead singer and writer Art Alexakis went through a divorce in the family when he was a kid. It's tough. But as long as songs like this exist, it gets a little less tough. I fucking love Everclear, and if you've never checked them out, I strongly recommend you do so.

Spoiler

The best songs tend to be the most personal and meaningful. Chances are if the subject matter means a lot to the artist, then that's going to come through in the music. It's only natural. Hell, we saw it just last entry with "Wonderful". This song is much like that one in that way. It's a deeply personal, wrenching subject, and it makes for some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

And it's from a band who gave us "what I got you gotta get and put it in you". A lot changes in ten years.

1. "Otherside" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Of all the Chili Peppers songs, "Otherside" is the one that I keep coming back to. It's such a staunchly dark song, with references to suicide and depression. It's a song that can really put you in a mood if you're not careful, or it's a song to listen to if you're already in a mood. Just to hear that someone else gets it.

Fuck, this song, man... this one is hard for me to properly talk about, because I feel like I was born with this song etched into my DNA. It hits chords so hard for me that I can barely describe it. Once again, the power of a great song. But I can't deny that in my darkest moments, this song has always been there. It's a song to cry to, to get angry to, and even to lift yourself into euphoria with the amazing guitar riffs and Anthony's killer performance, probably one of the best of his career. I fucking love this band, and I always will. It's a truly painful song, but oh, it hurts so good. God damn.

Full List:

Spoiler

1. "Otherside" - Red Hot Chili Peppers

2. "Wonderful" - Everclear

3. "The Real Slim Shady" - Eminem

4. "I Try" - Macy Gray

5. "Smooth" - Santana ft. Rob Thomas

6. "Kryptonite" - 3 Doors Down

7. "Absolutely (Story of a Girl)" - Nine Days

8. "Forgot About Dre" - Dr. Dre ft. Eminem

9. "Party Up (Up in Here)" - DMX

10. "The Next Episode"  - Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg