• Advertisement

Bad News to Cablevision Users

Jjs Goodman

If you all remember a while back in July 2012, Viacom pulled several channels of theirs from DirecTV due to disputes between both companies. It caused quite an uproar, although the disputes between both companies were resolved.

Well, it seems like something similar is happening again. This time however, Viacom is targeting Cablevision.

More than three million Cablevision customers could wake up New Year’s Day without shows such as “SpongeBob Squarepants” and “The Daily Show.”

The Long Island cable operator is set to drop 17 channels, including MTV, Nickelodeon and Comedy Central, in a dispute with Viacom over programming fees. Their current contract expires on Jan. 1.

It marks the second time in the past year that Viacom has faced off against a major pay-TV distributor. Viacom-owned channels went dark for DirecTV’s 20 million customers for more than a week in July in a similar dispute over fees.

While Cablevision has just 3.5 million households, its influential coverage area includes New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, where many network and advertising execs reside.

Reps for Viacom and Cablevision weren’t able to immediately comment.

Source: http://www.nypost.co...fSRqlG5KJbEhq3N

I don't have Cablevision, but I felt like alarming anyone who does have it.

As of January 1st, 2013, this has been resolved.

• Like 1

Viacom, oh how I love thee, Viacom. Your greedy staff never fail to disappoint me and my feeble, feeble mind.

I don't have Cablevision, but holy god Viacom, please, please, leave these companies ALONE and try to leave them to air shows actual people want in peace.

Guest hilaryfan80

I do kind of believe that Viacom has the right to charge more. Viacom doesn't nearly charge as much as the other networks, so it's natural that they would want to charge more...

The problem here is Viacom is raising their prices too high for what the channels are worth. Distributors like DirecTV don't want to pay the 30% increase; however, this translates to only two pennies (USD; for our fellow Canadians, this is roughly 99% of two pennies) more a month. If you look at Viacom's ratings, they have been going down; distributors don't see the 30% justified. "Why pay for Viacom at the same rate as Walt Disney (ABC, Disney, etc.) if Viacom doesn't receive as many ratings?"

From my viewpoint, this is entirely Viacom's fault. They don't have to raise their prices 30% to get more money. Obviously Viacom is doing well if they can host full episodes online. It's just crazy... :l

It looks like someone forgot to change Viacom's diaper again. It's really not surprising that those greedy little babies throw temper tantrums whenever people refuse their overpriced cable packages.

• Like 1

It's a shame they had to do this to Cablevision users right when Squid Defense is going to air January 1st. I guess Viacom sure loves to pull stunts like these when new episodes are going to air (They pulled the DirecTV stunt around when the Super Spongy Square Games were going to air).

• Like 1

Viacom and Cablevision have reached a deal:

Cablevision Systems said it has reached a new affiliate pact with Viacom on Dec. 31, ahead of the midnight expiration of their carriage contract.

As such, the parties averted any potential disconnect for the programmer on the predominant MSO in the New York metro area, as well as on Cablevision’s systems out west.

"Cablevision and Viacom have reached a long-term agreement that ensures no disruption of Viacom programming for Cablevision customers. No further terms will be disclosed," the operator said in a statement late Monday night.

The pact that was set to expire with the start of 2013 encompassed 19 of the programmer’s networks, including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and MTV.

http://www.multichan...contract/140961

At least this didn't end up dragging on too long like the DirecTV fiasco.

• Like 3

I wonder who's going to be targeted next. As far as I know, Viacom seems to want other companies to pay them for concessions despite the fact that a lot of companies do this. I'm sure Cablevision had their motives to refuse Viacom's offering, but as you expect they wouldn't bet on leaving millions without the service especially in a region that serves many broadcasters.