• Advertisement

162. Ghoul Fools

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• 5/5 It was spook-tacular!
    • 4/5 Really good scares.
    • 3/5 I got a tooth brush when I went trick-or-treating...
    • 2/5 This isn't scary!
    • 1/5 This episode was HORRIFYING... ly bad.

nickelodeon.pngspongebob-squarepants.png

#162 - Ghoul Fools

Plot:

SpongeBob and Patrick encounter ghost pirates who are feuding with the Flying Dutchman.

Clip:

http://spongebob.nic...house-clip.html

Airs tonight at 8 PM! Don't forget to tune in!

________

Ghoul_fools.png

* Loved the colors and song for the title card.

* BTW, if you guys haven't noticed, I am using title cards in my reviews now.

* Cloud staring, eh?

* Now where did this come from?

* That is one creepy house.

* Didn't need to see that..

* Who is that?

* Why does this suddenly remind me of Little Red?

* Lol at Patrick thinking Lord Poltergeist is a robot.

* I'm guessing those are the three mates.

* How did Gary suddenly get in there?

* Heh, the anchovies. They seem to be bringing them back.

* Poltergeist's close-up kind of made me jump.

* Doubloons? :P

* Well yeah.

* That was easy.

* and commercial break!

* We're back!

* Haven't heard that music in a while.

* Disguising yourself as a doubloon, clever.

* Oh, Patrick. When will you learn?

* Wait, really?

* Saw that coming.

* I was hoping for the fly of despair to return, but oh well.

* Anyways, where is the Flying Dutchman? He should have appeared by now...

* Ah, a character faces a nightmare thing.

* I lol'd. Poor Squidward.

* And it looks like he did.

* Think again dude.

* Anyways, aren't they against him or what?

* The Flying Dutchman can turn himself into a rocket?

* Gotta admit, that was awesome.

* Pretty good special, with some hilarious parts.

Grade: A

I actually loved this episode! Many funny and clever jokes and kept you entertained all-around. I liked they didn't go soft with the creepiness and that they found a way to involve the other characters as well. I know the ending was too weird, but I liked it too. i may have to watch it again to see what I can pick on, but overall it was a nice Halloween special (although they never mentioned it was Halloween, though they showed a calendar that said it was October, so) Anyway, I gave it a 9/10

It may not have been an actual Halloween episode, but it was excellent anyway. There were many hilarious moments and even some creepy stuff as well that was not too disturbing. I loved the void of your worst nightmares- especially Patrick's. I was kinda disappointed that Sandy didn't get to do much in the episode, but that didn't effect the episodes enjoyment at all. I also really liked the character Lord Poltergeist. I'm hoping he may come back someday.

This has to be the best special I've seen since "SpongeBob's Last Stand". Many funny moments, and the plot was pretty consistent :) My favorite part was the void scenes. It was funny how Patrick naturally turned his misery onto the donut's xD

A~!

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved the rashness and sarcasm of the ghost pirate. "Nice friend you got there" was a funny example that had me laughing. I also LOOOVED Squidward in the episode. I perceived his comments as him making fun of modern kids shows, and how the plots usually fit too perfectly. He's legit, and the most realistically funneh character on the show IMO.

A solid A from me. <3

It was a pretty good special, with some ups and downs. My favorite part in the episode would have to be that whole "void" bit--that was really well done. I wonder why my Fios guide mentioned SpongeBob and Patrick trick-or-treating in this episode? 8/10

Spoiler

Curse Quest #16:

cPWjeFR.jpg

I just realized as I watched this episode right now, why did it seem like SpongeBob/Mr. Krabs/etc. were all on the Ghost Captain's side towards the end? They were just fighting with him, and then they're suddenly on his side when the Dutchman comes around. Weird. :P

Writers: Luke Brookshier, Marc Ceccarelli, and Derek Iversen

There comes a point at least once in each Season where planets align and the comedy gods decide to bless an episode of SpongeBob. This is one of several blessings in Season 8. First, a bit of background. At this point in the show, one storyboard director on this episode, Luke Brookshier, was probably the show's best writer- The Post-Movie version of Paul Tibbitt. Prior to this episode, Luke Brookshier's writing partner, Nate Cash, left the show for Adventure Time. Brookshier recieved a new partner in the form of Marc Ceccarelli, a writer from Phineas And Ferb. If Brookshier is Tibbitt, then Cash was a Walt Dohrn- A partner that probably helped Brookshier grow and refine his writing style while giving his episodes a more somber tone. But if that's the case, then Marc Ceccarelli is Brookshier's Kent Osbourne (Tibbitt's Season 3 partner), a partner that magnifies comedy and makes episodes funnier. And even though this is only the pair's second episode together, it's certainly worthy enough to be in Season 3.

With a simple set-up from Derek Iversen, the episode makes effective use of the Flying Dutchman and all of the characters. When SpongeBob and Patrick discover an old ghost ship, they meet Lord Poltergeist, an old crew member of the Dutchman, and SpongeBob and the gang get involved with a feud between the two. That's simple, yet inventive, a massive step up from convoluted plots like Clash Of Triton. The writing in the episode is really solid- Plot elements move from point to point smoothly, and the way the other characters come in doesn't feel forced.

The episode is funny too- From the opening with SpongeBob and Patrick going through the boat with a ton of funny scares along the way, to the absolutely hilarious scenes in the void, the episode is probably one of Season 8's best in regards to comedy. Patrick's scene in the void particularly got me to laugh, and I don't do that often at SpongeBob episodes.

As another plus, the art was wonderfully Season 3-esque and the animation was really nice, and the colors were nice and smooth. I really can't find a flaw with this episode. Everything works so well and the comedy and action is just so cool, and they even made good use of a Guest Star, which rarely happens on this show. One of few post-movie episodes that's absolutely perfect.

10/10.

• Like 2