• Advertisement

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

storytime7

It feels like only yesterday, but Season 4 is over. From what I’ve seen (and I’m open to being corrected if I’m wrong), the fanbase’s reaction to it has been mixed to positive in general. Some fans have been viewing it as a major disappointment while others have been saying that it’s the best season. I’m towards the latter, I was really impressed with this season for the most part. I liked how it tried to be different from the previous three seasons and that I only had to watch most of the episodes of this season once for them to stick with me, unlike seasons 2 and 3.

On the subject of episodes, I actually have a list of my opinions on each one of them below if you care. If you don’t care, just skip past the spoiler tab.

Spoiler

Princess Twilight Sparkle (both parts)

1st Time: Like The Crystal Empire, this one wasn’t too easy to get into with all the exposition and the talking and all that jazz, but I soon got engaged with the plot and I liked the twist. 8/10

2nd Time: The parts I initially thought were boring weren’t as bad, and I found a few more things to chuckle at. 8.5/10

Castle Mane-ia

1st Time: Some parts were strangely underwhelming to me, but I really liked the cartoonish insanity of it. While the twist was predictable, the cliffhanger was nice. 7/10

2nd Time: I laughed at a few parts a little more. 7.5/10

3rd Time: Almost the same as the 2nd Time. 7.75/10

Daring Don’t

1st Time: Didn’t know what to think of it after the first act. My reaction to the rest of it was basically “...huh.” 6/10

2nd Time: Never mind, I overcame my “...huh” feelings about the twist and enjoyed it a lot more. 8/10

Flight to the Finish

1st Time: Thought this one would just be okay, and I ended up liking it a lot for some reason. Song was cool too. 8.5/10

2nd Time: N/A

Power Ponies

1st Time: I didn’t really know what to think. Loved The Mane-iac though. 6/10

2nd Time: Liked it better, though something I couldn’t put my finger on felt off. 7.5/10

3rd Time: Not much changed besides me becoming more interested in that speech The Mane-iac makes while she’s getting the weapon ready. I don’t really understand it. Wonder if I’m even supposed to... 8/10

Bats!

1st Time: I weary of Merriwether Williams hate, I thought it was great. Good song, story was a sweet homage to Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, and I was pretty entertained the entire time. Rock on, Flutterbat. 9/10

Rarity Takes Manehattan

1st Time: Loved this one, Rarity’s breakdown was one of my favorite moments ever. Only nitpick I have is no Friday the 13th references were made. :( Joking aside, this episode ruled. 9.5/10

Pinkie Apple Pie

1st Time: I don’t really care much for AJ and her family episodes (sorry), but this one stuck out to me. Pinkie Pie’s antics and everyone fighting twere good. And all those poor animals… XD 8.5/10

Rainbow Falls

1st Time: This one bored me somewhat. I liked seeing Soarin’ and Derpy again though, and I feel like one of the few who actually enjoyed the Wonderbolts being dicks. 7/10

2nd Time: Less monotony, more fun. Still not one of my faves, however. 8/10

Three’s a Crowd

1st Time: That UFO coming out of nowhere, that battle scene with the worm, and Discord won this one for me. 8.5/10

2nd Time: Liked it even better after paying more attention to the visual gags in Discord’s song. 9/10

Pinkie Pride

1st Time: I was fully expecting to be disappointed, but I ended up being surprisingly impressed, especially with all the work that went into it. Weird Al Yankovic for the win. 9/10

Simple Ways

1st Time: An odd, yet strangely entertaining and satisfying episode. Had an especially good laugh with the hidden innuendo when AJ was posing for the pictures. 8.5/10

Filli Vanilli

1st Time: My opinion on this is pretty much my opinion on Spike at Your Service nowadays. Obviously flawed...gold. I’m being dead serious, I thought this one was pretty funny even with the problems it had. Hooray Flutterguy. 9/10

Twilight Time

1st Time: Another weird to watch but entertaining episode, I liked seeing more ponies acknowledging Twilight as a princess. I slightly wish she could’ve been the focus of the episode instead of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but eh, it’s cool. 8.5/10

It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies

1st Time: Finally, the memories of my first time watching seasons 2 and 3 are coming back. I was “Eh.” most of the time despite having low expectations and the first two acts bored me. I really liked the third act, however. 5.5/10

2nd Time: First two acts were much easier to enjoy, but I didn’t enjoy the third act as much this time. 8/10

Somepony to Watch over Me

1st Time: A lot of Applejack fans hate this one, but I really didn’t mind it. I thought Applejack was actually pretty funny, and Apple Bloom risking her life against that freaking chimera was cool. 8/10

Maud Pie

1st Time: Sorry, but I actually really didn’t like this one. I didn’t care for Maud, I got tired of her running gag really quickly, and the climax of the episode

Spoiler

“Pinkie was about to be crushed by a rock, so Maud used her god powers to rush towards her at sonic speed and destroy the boulder with her super strength!” ...Whut.

felt like an asspull to me. Also, nothing in this episode really entertained me other than maybe two or three lines of dialogue. 4.5/10

2nd Time: Wow, first time in a long time I didn’t like an episode better the second time I watched it. Pinkie actually irritated me with her constant praise of Maud, I still didn’t find the recurring joke of it funny, and I was honestly bored most of the time. At the moment, this is my least favorite episode of the show. 4/10

3rd Time (November 10th, 2015): It's time for an update because I saw this one again recently and was finally able to get into it. I finally realize what they were going for with the story and the humor. Maud is not supposed to be funny on her own, it's how she reacts to the situation at hand that makes her funny. That aside, the episode still has flaws like the rushed climax, but this is not my least favorite episode anymore, just...wow. I was a different person a year and a half ago. XD 8.5/10

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

1st Time: Hmm. I definitely enjoyed this one. It was interesting to see Sweetie Belle gaining a “dark side”, and those dream sequences were cool. Also, Luna came back, sweet. 8.5/10

Leap of Faith

1st Time: Don’t have much to say about this one, other than that I thought it was decent. I liked Flim and Flam and their plan, though I felt that Silver Shrill could’ve used a little more development. 8/10

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

1st Time: Relatable hilarity, I never freaking got studying for tests. I was honestly impressed with just about every gag here, especially Pinkie Pie’s rap video. I’m also starting to really like Rainbow Dash again. 9/10

Trade Ya

1st Time: Like Leap of Faith, a solid decent episode I don’t have much to say about. Props for the pegasus in the wheelchair. 7.5/10

Inspiration Manifestation

1st Time: Very interesting premise with very good execution. My only nitpick was that Rarity could’ve gone just a little crazier, but hey, that’s just a nitpick. 9.5/10

Equestria Games

1st Time: This is one of those episodes that didn’t really grab me the first five minutes in, but started picking up the pace after that. I loved the anthem gag and how the ending made me genuinely feel for Spike. 9/10

Twilight’s Kingdom (both parts)

1st Time: Yup, Tirek was a good villain indeed. One of the best, possibly. I also liked the role Discord played and the fight scene between Twilight and Tirek was awesome. A great two-parter special overall. 9.5/10

So in short…

EPISODES I LOVED:

Bats!

Rarity Takes Manehattan

Pinkie Pride

Filli Vanilli

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3

Inspiration Manifestation

Equestria Games

Twilight’s Kingdom

EPISODES I LIKED:

Princess Twilight Sparkle

Castle Mane-ia

Flight to the Finish

Power Ponies

Pinkie Apple Pie

Three’s a Crowd

Simple Ways

Twilight Time

Maud Pie

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils

EPISODES I DIDN’T MIND:

Daring Don’t

Rainbow Falls

It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies

Somepony to Watch Over Me

Leap of Faith

Trade Ya

Addendum: Please don’t view my opinions of any of these episodes as the ultimate indictment of their quality. Fan or bored thread-viewer, you’re your own best critic.

So yeah, you can tell that I loved this season and had very few problems with it. If I had to think of any issues, it would be the story arc, which I personally thought could have been developed more. But hey, the episode was far from an unbearable catastrophe, and as for the story arc, it’s just a kid’s show so who gives a shit  I can cut it some slack, as it’s not easy to incorporate and weave a masterfully written and epic tale throughout a twenty-six episode season of...My Little Pony. Plus, it built to something pretty cool in the end.

Overall, if I had to play teacher and grade the seasons of this show, I’d give Season 1 a B, Season 2 an A-, Season 3 a B+, and season 4...an A. Yeah, this is the first season of the show I honestly feel deserves a solid A. I know there are lots of fans (or former fans) who wouldn’t agree, saying that MLP:FiM just isn’t that interesting or funny to them anymore following its decline in quality after season 1 or 2, but to be honest, I don’t see the decline. MLP:FiM was never meant to be great. It was a show made to promote toys that was given the opportunity to be great. With each season, the creators try to take that opportunity, and with each Saturday morning where I have nothing better to do, I get to see the results of their efforts. Even when I’m just rewatching episodes, they seem to gradually improve each time I watch them...and it just makes me feel like I’m watching something...grow.

You did good, Studio B. I look forward to Season 5 and even Equestria Girls 2: Rainbow Rocks despite how lulzy it looks. This is gonna be fun. XD

Edited by Metal Snake
Forum wipe killed my essential Maud Pie update...

So there's a good-quality upload of Equestria Girls 2: Rainbow Rocks online now. Get it before Hasbro does if you care to watch it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x285qru_hd-tvrip-mlp-equestria-girls-rainbow-rocks-full-movie-part-1_shortfilms

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x285qzn_hd-tvrip-mlp-equestria-girls-rainbow-rocks-full-movie-part-2_shortfilms

If you want my opinion, it wasn't as big of an improvement over the first one as everyone made it out to be, but was still surprisingly good. Also, speaking of MLP movies...

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/10/my-little-pony-feature-length-film.html

There's going to be another one coming in 2017, apparently. And if sources are correct, it won't be Equestria Girls. It'll be entirely about MLP:FiM.

As much as I prepare myself to hate these movies, I actually end up really liking them. Rainbow Rocks was no different. I really enjoyed all the songs in Rainbow Rocks and thought the movie was really good. Though I still don't think making a movie series of it is really necessary. If they are making a movie actually based on FiM, I'm wishing they'd make it sooner.

• Like 1

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/my-little-pony-movie-in-the-works-at-hasbro-studios-exclusive-1201334144/

I'm legitimately surprised this wasn't planned to be released any sooner to be honest. Not going to see it since I lost any interest I had in this show nearly three years ago, but guarantee this will still make money if the fanbase is still as strong three years from now.

@ Harria

The show of course is a spin of the My Little Pony franchise. It centers around the character Twilight Sparkle, who is a studious unicorn who is sent to Ponyville by her mentor to learn the value of friendship, which she hates at first, but eventually becomes friends with a group of other ponies.

The show doesn't really have a story arch, except the first two episodes are a two-parter and the rest of Season 1 is just about the main poinies dealing with problems in daily life. The rest of the show does have a fair amount of continuity in it and the fourth season does actually have a story arch to it.

But it is a good show with a lot of memorable and likable characters and good writing, which is what makes it enjoyable.

Finally...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-gallops-into-action-with-all-new-adventures-beginning-april-4-300046088.html

We finally know exactly when Season 5 comes out. At this point, it's pretty much guaranteed that we're going to have new episodes of MLP:FiM airing in the summer for the first time. And I'm ready...

Sabin%20-%20Action.gif

So...now that season 5 is out, I have a review of the premiere and a song. Starting with the review...

Spoiler

The Cutie Markless (Both parts) - A-

I gravely underestimated this episode. It's the best season premiere the show's had, IMO. For once, there were no glaring flaws with the pacing or writing, I got into the story of it without any problems, and I even got some genuine laughs out of it (especially at the gag where Spike stepped on the map of Pinkie's home and at the part where the Mane 6 were being brainwashed in the house). I felt like I was watching a mix of a kid's version of the plot of Resident Evil 4 and an improved version of The Crystal Empire, which was cool. I didn't really like the resolution of the climax, but otherwise, this special was pretty good.

Now, for a pony parody of a song...

Spoiler

...a brentalfloss song.

MLP:FiM With Lyrics

Original: Final Fantasy VII With Lyrics

Enter Season One, and the tale’s begun

About a unicorn named Twilight and her pet dragon

Her social skills are crap, but she’s no sap!

She’s got a whole fanbase whom to her they like to f...-clap! (No, not clop, dammit!)

She meets five other ponies, including Rainbow Dash!

Who does not represent how lesbians act!

If you ever thought that, you will get a slap!

After much dialogue, the plot changes its tune!

The ponies are confronted by Nightmare Moon!

They need the Elements...of Harmony!

To save the world from her darkness...and bad laughing!

To a deep forest, they must go…

In a castle, Twilight shall know…

Her friends are the elements…

And each one, they represent…

Her eyes, they get a glow…

And they beat Nightmare Moon with a rainbow! (TASTE THE RAINBOW, MOTHAFUCKA!)

And that’s just the first adventure, there’s much more to be told!

So much more of Twilight’s tale to unfold!

But that’s when slice-of-life will put the quest on hold…

SLICE-OF-LIFE! SLICE-OF-LIFE!

SO MANY STORIES TO SLICE YOUR LIFE!

HARD TO TELL THINGS APART, WHICH IS THE ADVENTURE?!

WHICH IS THE SLICE-OF-LIFE?!

FASHION MODEL! SLICE-OF-LIFE! BUFFALO PIE WAR! SLICE-OF-LIFE!

DISNEY GALA! SLICE-OF-LIFE! CRAZY TWILIGHT! SLICE-OF-LIFE!

MYSTERION PONY! SLICE-OF-LIFE! READING RAINBOW! SLICE-OF-LIFE!

WHO KILLED THE CAKE?! SLICE-OF-LIFE! MAGIC BATTLE! SLICE-OF-LIFE!

VAMPIRE PONIES! SLICE-OF-LIFE! DISNEY MANHATTAN! SLICE-OF-LIFE!

SCHOOLHOUSE RAP! SLICE-OF-LIFE! MY LIFE IS WORTHLESS!

SLICE OF LLLLLIIIIIFFFFFEEEEE!

Back in ‘10, this show took...the net by swarm!

Inside a massive storm, fandom was born!

M,L,P, F,i,M! You sure surprised them!

The stereotypes, you defied them!

All of our arms were high when, Twilight fought Tirek! Oh yes!

But at criticism’s calling beck…

M,L,P, F,i,M! Your plots can get predictable and drag!

And as for your humor…

You rely a lot on visual gags!

You have personality! And you’re of good quality!

But there’s flaws that we can see!

Still, a god is what the fanboys want you to be!

Sure, you mainstreamed a little girl’s show!

But you’ve got a long way to go!

So many bugs in your animation!

Though at least they gave us some interesting creations!

But in the end, despite the flaws!

And all the failed internet memes!

Most folks would never have tried MLP!

If Friendship is Magic never hit the scenes!

M,L,P, F,i,M! You try to do so much!

And when we remove your diadem!

You feel like one of us, and that’s enough…

Although I still don’t get your setup… (slice-of-life AND gaiden adventure?)

Oh, M,L,P, F,i,M!

You’re a masterful...disasterful…

Amazing...blazing…

Lasting...blasting...

Fantastic...bombastic…

Tragical...and most of all, magical…

...Dork.

Yeah, I wrote that. Woo-hoo.