• Advertisement

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Jane

Bumping since this is out today. I'll be seeing it this weekend. Looks like this movie is pretty divisive so far in feedback. I have read some spoilers, and I'm not sure how I'll feel about

Spoiler

Snoke getting killed off so easily, and several other things.

Edited by Gunter

3 hours ago, Gunter said:

Bumping since this is out today. I'll be seeing it this weekend. Looks like this movie is pretty divisive so far in feedback. I have read some spoilers, and I'm not sure how I'll feel about

Hide contents

I saw the whole movie today and lemme say this:

Spoiler

Thank god for Snoke getting killed off. He was so bland af and It makes me happy that Kylo Ren is the big bad. 

Anyway, I'll talk more in depth with spoilers when more people here see it but the movie was damn good. Much better than The Force Awakens, which I already liked. I loved how they used the main characters of in this trilogy, especially Poe who wasn't explored too much in The Force Awakens. A lot of people didn't care for Finn's storyline and I understand it, it was the weakest aspect of the movie but how they wrapped up was satisfying enough and it made me care for Finn for sure. Plus BB-8 scenes were too good. I could have used more Finn/Poe scenes tho (it's obvious they are lovers, don't you dare deny this shit). Rey/Kylo dynamic, as well as Rey/Luke dynamic were the best aspects of the movie. It was sad to see Carrie Fisher with her last role but I liked her here, especially with one scene was blew me away. Action scenes and visuals were top notch. The movie felt darker, more serious and the plot pretty damn different, which was the main complaint of The Force Awakens. I liked that this expanded Star Wars mythos. There were still some nods to original and all but they were handled well. Most of mysteries they left in The Force Awakens were covered here and it was good. I'll probably see it again with my friends or alone idk but I'm glad to watch this movie. Oh and

Spoiler

THAT YODA CAMEO MOTHERFUCKER

• Like 2

i don't know.

this movie really was something. i mean, we got luke skywalker drinking green milk from big alien titties, leia being fucking mary poppins yall, the finn/rose story literally was the plotline equivalent of the rathtars segment in TFA. when The Last Jedi is good, it's so fucking fantastic. like it really does have some of the best scenes in the series (hence the throne room/rey and kylo team up or pretty much every scene they share) and when it happen, these moments feel well-earned.

i appreciate rian's direction. his passion is in full force here, but i can't help but feel frustrated over some elements he either fails to build up towards (rey opening up to the dark side of the force w/o any hesitance, that's forgotten for the rest of the movie) or develops them to the point where it holds no relevance to the overarching story and evidently puts it on hold (finn/rose story). i don't really hate this movie nor do i feel disappointed by it. there is so much love and heart put into this movie that i honestly wish there was something that got me looking forward to in Episode IX besides rebuilding the Resistance or kylo becoming supreme leader.

Edited by kevin

On 17.12.2017 at 10:55 PM, kevin said:

i don't know.

Hide contents

this movie really was something. i mean, we got luke skywalker drinking green milk from big alien titties, leia being fucking mary poppins yall, the finn/rose story literally was the plotline equivalent of the rathtars segment in TFA. when The Last Jedi is good, it's so fucking fantastic. like it really does have some of the best scenes in the series (hence the throne room/rey and kylo team up or pretty much every scene they share) and when it happen, these moments feel well-earned.

i appreciate rian's direction. his passion is in full force here, but i can't help but feel frustrated over some elements he either fails to build up towards (rey opening up to the dark side of the force w/o any hesitance, that's forgotten for the rest of the movie) or develops them to the point where it holds no relevance to the overarching story and evidently puts it on hold (finn/rose story). i don't really hate this movie nor do i feel disappointed by it. there is so much love and heart put into this movie that i honestly wish there was something that got me looking forward to in Episode IX besides rebuilding the Resistance or kylo becoming supreme leader.

Spoiler

I have a feel that Rey opening dark side of the force will be brought up in the next movie. I think they didn't bring that up here because there was already so much going on with each character's story arc and their relationship with each other. I do hope they adress that in the next movie, as well as how Rey exactly has the force? Everything else, I'm pretty satisfied with what we got. I can see why some people would feel disappointed by Rian changing the mythos of force or giving Leia force powers (I actually liked this because she is Anakin's kid, why shouldn't she have the force?) but I liked these changes and that made me hyped enough for what they are gonna do next in the last movie. 

Alright so 

Da Good
-Rian's eye for visuals is very keen. Every shot he got was magnificent, and even though I felt the color pallette for this movie was a little bland, the scene at the end on Crait made up for it. Amazing setpiece with the red on white and the shitty flyers against the walkers.
-Speaking of that, there were a lot of good sequences. The race on Canto Bight, Holdo lightspeeding through the First Order ship, Rey and Kylo vs Snoke's lackeys, etc. Rian Johnson is fucking good. This movie had like 5 different climaxes and they were all intense as shit.
-Luke just throwing the lightsaber away at the start of the movie after we'd been waiting for two years to see what he would do was hilarious. In addition to that, I'm thankful for a Star Wars film without a time jump between films.
-Kylo, Rey, and Luke's arcs were all done very very well. Rey and Kylo talking through the force seemed kinda weird at first, but when it was revealed to be Snoke it became dope. Snoke's death was done well I thought, and Luke's tortured teacher schtick was good too. I really felt for him and understood why both he acted like he did and why Kylo reacted how he did as well. The interplay between Kylo and Rey was also good, and how it led into that fire ass Luke v Rey fight was piff 
-Reveal that Leia is a Jedi was fuckin lit
-Luke's explanation of the force was good to see, after what has felt like years and years of a vaguely explained plot device. Rogue One's expansion of it into a form of religion is what I would compare this to, and it was very well done.
-Lampshading of Kylo's mask was funny, and I was surprised that it was legitimately not used for the rest of the film. I kinda liked it, silly as it was.
-Rose was a great lil character, she felt very Rogue One esque to me.
-Very glad for the focus on Poe in this one after his limited involvement in VII. We really got to know his character, and I'm hoping the end sets things up so that Rey, Finn and Poe will finally get to be the Luke, Leia and Han of this trilogy like they have been positioned to be.
-Finn v. Phasma was fucking awesome
-Yoda is always great to see
-Kylo's battle with Luke on Crait - fuckin A. Glad they didn't let Ren kill anymore original trilogy characters. "Do you think you got him?" was a hilarious line, and Luke brushing off his shoulder was the most fuckin gangster shit I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie. 
-The shot when Luke died, fading away as he looks at the binary sunset just like he did 40 years ago in New Hope kicked me in the fucking gut. Jesus Christ was that amazing. 
-John Williams' soundtrack is full of fuckin' slappers as per usual 
-Crystal Creatures >> Porgs

Da Bad
-Pretty much Finn's... everything. Finn's whole character since this trilogy started has kinda bugged me - perhaps it was kind of the bait and switch nature of the promos for Force Awakens that led me to believe Finn was going to be the jedi of this saga, but pretty much everything since then has led to me being disappointed with his character. I love John Boyega and I like Finn as a character (the concept of a Storm Trooper defecting is dope), but in the course of this saga he's defected from the First Order, met Rey, gotten the map back to the rebellion, attempted to escape, got roped back into the war, gotten his ass handed to him by Emo Ren, woke up, then embarked on a very pointless adventure that just served to fill up screentime. Were it not for the Fasma battle, Finn's entire subplot would've felt worthless. Like I said, I like Rose, but it felt like they didn't really know what to do with Finn here, and Rose fucking up Finn's plan to sacrifice himself resulted in a lot more death. Idk. He just felt seriously pointless here. 
-Holdo's character felt kinda pointless too? Almost as if the team had the idea for the lightspeed scene first but realized they couldn't have Poe do it because they wanted him in the next film so they created a character to build up before they killed them off. I liked Holdo's character enough, even though she was kind of a bitch. 
-A little convenient how Poe/Leia's ship didn't get hit in the flight to Crait, or how Finn and Rose didn’t get blasted to smithereens when Holdo did her trick, but whatever. Not really mad at that.

-Rey and Finn having v little screen time together hurts my heart because they’re meant to be together damnit 

overall, a very good film that shook up the status quo that I only had a few issues with. I’m excited to see what Abrams is gonna bring to the table again in two years, hopefully an Into Darkness level entry for this series. I’m very glad that Trevorrow isnt in the director’s seat anymore, mean as that is to say. But Episode VIII has put this series in a place so that I’m very excited to see it go somewhere new. Can’t wait. 

A-, 9/10, better and more original than Force Awakens, best since Empire Strikes Back (although Sith gives it a run for it’s money). Just give Finn more to do in the finale and we’ll be good. 

• Like 5

On 12/15/2017 at 7:10 AM, Gunter said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Like Whobob, I actually liked that they killed Snoke off, they handled his death pretty well. They made it clear that they're not going to recycle how the original trilogy concluded with their offing of him.

Regarding the movie being divisive in feedback, I think that actually helped me enjoy it more. The only thing I honestly felt could've been better was the plot with the Rebellion on the ship. It still mystifies me how

Spoiler

Holdo just does a complete 180 from being all about rules and sticking to the plan to wanting to sacrifice herself for the plan of a "troublemaker" to succeed,

but eh. Everything about the plots with Rey, Luke, and Kylo Ren, and Finn and Rose was great. 

Spoiler

Okay, Rose cockblocking Finn's attempt of heroism was kinda lame, but I guess it's worth it to have him alive for the last movie.

Oh yeah, and I loved DJ. He made for the perfect antihero, someone who is legitimately not on anyone's side, could not care less. He won my heart when he

Spoiler

gave Rose her medallion back...only to sell her, Finn, and the entire resistance out to the First Order.

"You're wrong!"

"Well...maybe."

best part of the movie 10/10

Okay, being serious, best part of the movie was Luke's sacrifice for sure. Way better than Han's death in The Force Awakens, at least they did what we all knew was going to happen in the best way possible this time.

This movie was, in my humble opinion, just as good if not better than The Force Awakens. Disney's already blown the prequel trilogy out of the water and I'm already sure that Episode IX is going to be stellar.

• Like 3

I saw it on Monday night with my mom and my older brother. First off, I thought it was pretty interesting that this whole movie was supposedly set within a compressed time; I.E., only 18 hours before the fuel on the Rebel Cruiser runs completely out! This EASILY felt like the DARKEST official "Star Wars" movie yet; even blowing "Revenge of the Sith" out of the water, and even matching "Rogue One" in terms of intensity! Also, 

Spoiler

I legitimately cried when I got to see Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher interact together one last time in this movie. It's so sad that we'll never get to see this again, but I know that the next movie will address the passing of her actress in a respectable way, and I hope that she gets an Oscar nomination and eventual posthumous win out of it; fingers crossed!

The Porgs have now OFFICIALLY overtaken the Ewoks as the cutest creatures in the "Star Wars" universe, C-3PO is amazing as always (although I wish they had given R2-D2 more to do in this film, although showing that old message of Princess Leia definitely gives him MAJOR bonus points!)

Spoiler

It felt SO satisfying to see Supreme Leader Snoke go down; VERY bold move to kill off the Greater Scope Evil in the SECOND act of this sequel trilogy, but I'm glad that they've decided to NOT copy the formula of the original trilogy again! And it was SO great to see Frank Oz come out of retirement to play Yoda again! I was completely SHOCKED by the whole Luke Skywalker battle against Kylo Ren, turning out to be an Illusion of the Force, and it STILL killed him anyways, but at least he died a hero! Also, did anyone else notice that possible future Jedi kid in the animal stable? Could be a major plot point for episode XI!

I thought the movie was really great, overall, and I hope that Peter Mayhew and Anthony Daniels will be around, to help the final episode of "Star Wars" end on a high note! Enough said, true believers!

Edited by Gunter