• Advertisement

YouTube removing/demonetizing videos for advertising policy

Steel Sponge

This kinda news has been circling around for a few days, and it's a good time to post a thread for this.

This video above is where this issue was first reported. What has been happening is that a variety of big name content creators on YouTube have had their content being removed/demonetized for not being "advertiser-friendly." Then there are some of the ground rules for these "advertiser-friendly" guidelines, which includes nudity/sexual humor, discussing sensitive subjects, and of course, one of the most sacred of all....swearing. So right now, content creators have been discussing some things surrounding this issue such as concern about having to censor themselves and how this is a violation to free speech. Also, most people are calling this move as the final nail in YT's coffin. I wouldn't say so myself that YouTube is dead at this point, but anyways, discuss.

Edited by Steel Sponge

I recently looked through my own vids, only one of my old rant videos is being questioned for monetization right now (although I have had a few videos that were denied monetization in the past for literally no reason given). It's a hassle and it'd be nice if Google didn't make their guidelines so vague.

Agreed with hal. youtubers complaining about this are so annoying lmao. if advertisers don't want to be associated with you because of the content of your videos, they're going to remove their ads. they're doing you a favor by putting their ads on your videos, not the other way around 

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

I'm mostly okay with this, companies have the right to choose what and what not to advertise on.

I agree with you on this, but remember that thousands of people make their livings off of this website, and even at that, a few people are talking about getting hit for no good reason and YouTube has a proven track record of poorly enforcing rules. I wouldn't really mind it if they only went after egregiously offensive content.

And if a lot of their big YouTubers leave, they'll lose money too because YouTube takes some of the ad revenue that everyone makes. That's the only reason they're still afloat.

• Like 2

Yeah, what Teamwork said. This is not a black-and-white issue of people complaining about a harmless change. It's a change with logic behind it, true, but it's a change that's also putting a lot of innocent people's livelihoods at risk. Keep in mind that funding yourself with Patreon is essentially taking money from your fans to keep your normally free content running, something a lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable doing. To understand why people are so upset by this, you can't look at the situation through the eyes of someone who just goes to Youtube to watch videos. You have to look at it through the eyes of someone who creates videos for the site as part of their job.

Edited by Metal Snake
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Teamwork said:

And if a lot of their big YouTubers leave, they'll lose money too because YouTube takes some of the ad revenue that everyone makes. That's the only reason they're still afloat.

Leave to go where? Dailymotion? lmao. I don't disagree with that you said but honestly youtube doesn't have any real competitors and all the channels that they promote already pander to younger crowds so it's not like they would leave anyway. 

19 hours ago, Metal Snake said:

Yeah, what Teamwork said. This is not a black-and-white issue of people complaining about a harmless change. It's a change with logic behind it, true, but it's a change that's also putting a lot of innocent people's livelihoods at risk. Keep in mind that funding yourself with Patreon is essentially taking money from your fans to keep your normally free content running, something a lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable doing. To understand why people are so upset by this, you can't look at the situation through the eyes of someone who just goes to Youtube to watch videos. You have to look at it through the eyes of someone who creates content for the site as part of their job.

You're assuming that they care.

1 minute ago, sbnator20 said:

You're assuming that they care.

I don't care who cares and who doesn't. I write my posts to make a point. Even if no one listens to me, it doesn't matter because I still made the point I wanted to make.  

10 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

I don't care who cares and who doesn't. I write my posts to make a point. Even if no one listens to me, it doesn't matter because I still made the point I wanted to make.  

.....What? Did you think I said that youtube wouldn't care about your comment? I was saying that they would care about the "innocent people" and their "livelihoods"

14 hours ago, sbnator20 said:

.....What? Did you think I said that youtube wouldn't care about your comment? I was saying that they would care about the "innocent people" and their "livelihoods"

.....What? Of course I thought you said that people (or youtube, if that's how you want to put it) wouldn't care about my comment. You replied to me with one short sentence that in every way comes off as a sarcastic retort. You did not say that they would care. You said that I assumed that they would care. What reason would you type that other than for a playful taunt?

3 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

.....What? Of course I thought you said that people (or youtube, if that's how you want to put it) wouldn't care about my comment. You replied to me with one short sentence that in every way comes off as a sarcastic retort. You did not say that they would care. You said that I assumed that they would care. What reason would you type that other than for a playful taunt?

Why are you taking his comment so seriously? :P He wasn't trying to attack you, dude.

Hopefully YT and the content creators can work something out, though I do agree that companies have a right to put or not put their ads on whatever videos.

Just now, Katniss said:

Why are you taking his comment so seriously? :P He wasn't trying to attack you, dude.

Hopefully YT and the content creators can work something out, though I do agree that companies have a right to put or not put their ads on whatever videos.

I know that. I just don't get why he said that and is now trying to tell me that he didn't.

34 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

I know that. I just don't get why he said that and is now trying to tell me that he didn't.

He meant you're assuming the YT people care about the livelihoods of the people who make money off of it, not that they wouldn't care about your comment.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

He meant you're assuming the YT people care about the livelihoods of the people who make money off of it, not that they wouldn't care about your comment.

Thank you. I think something needs to be clarified here then. I wasn't assuming anything. My theory as to what the confusion was here is that he thought I meant Youtube's staff by "people who create content for the site", so I edited that slightly to make it clear I mean Youtubers who make money off of Youtube that have been hit hard by this.

All I was trying to do was note something for anyone who cares about trying to understand better why people are so upset over this. That was it.

Edited by Metal Snake