• Advertisement

Wreck-it Ralph sequel officially announced

Katniss

I'm so hyped for this film, and not only cuz it's a sequel to one of my favorite modern Disney classics, but cuz of all the Disney references. Quite frankly, I do think it's a bit much, and it's perhaps a little out of place; I know Oh My Disney's a website and I love that site. But still, why integrate a Disney site into the film in particular? Nonetheless, I'm probably going to enjoy every last minute of it, and probably even crave more screentime for the princesses. I just hope they don't make too much of a commentary on the older princesses and stereotypes and things, otherwise that'll really be putting the humor into overkill.

I'm still down for seeing this movie. I'll admit that the second trailer still makes the movie feel like it's style over substance, but let's face it...if there's something that Disney has been good at time and time again, it's defying our expectations. So maybe, just maybe there is something significant about the plot that's buried beneath.

Edited by Steel Sponge

I gaev my mummy a cake she turns into big beear my ode maen tried to do yer ein and if dat's not pure mess I don't know wa is. 

With all seriousness, I can see that Disney is still trying to show us how much world-building they can do with this film. Still worried about it becoming predominantly style over substance, but I'm even still stoked to see it regardless.

The moral was good and something you don’t see too often. Letting your friend move on in life and not controlling them because people grow. I liked the clever little designs and ideas like the pop-up ad living in a run down trailer and the youtube knock-off thing. Pretty good, sad that there wasn’t any Mario and Felix and his wife were more of supportive characters this time. (But I did enjoy their parenting screen time, was amusing enough.) Not sure how I’d compare it to the original, might have to rewatch both to decide as King Candy was hard to top. (Though of course Ralph is his own villain in this flick.) Also surprisingly all the media references didn’t feel cliche. I think most of them will age alright in time. Some of the plot was a bit shaky I’ll admit. And I felt like Vallenlope was a bit selfish to abandon her life so quickly in some ways but I do understand she wanted more in life. Hmm, sort of like Ariel? Guess she really is one of the princesses. Ralph also was really whiny, like I get he needed to be clingy to her for the story to prove a point but still felt a bit ooc maybe?

y’all I’ll come back to this when I’m not dying of nausea from eating a huge bag of popcorn

Spoiler

Okay I really had to sit on this one for a bit.  And before anyone reads further into this, in the end I still think I like this movie, but it’s definitely nowhere near as good as the first.

When I first saw it, I really liked it a lot.  But then the more I thought about it, it started to sour on me a bit for multiple reasons.

First off, and this was my biggest problem, was the motivations for Vanellope.  In the first Wreck-It Ralph, it was emphasized heavily that “Going Turbo” was a bad thing. That was emphasized so much in the entire first movie and how bad it was for the arcade games in general to get shut down because of it.

In this one, Vanellope pretty much had the same motivation as King Candy/Turbo.  She was getting bored of her game and wanted more.  And in the end, she got what she wanted and her game didn’t get shut down.  So are you telling me that anyone who plays Candy Rush from this point forward won’t recognize that Vanellope isn’t a playable character anymore and the game won’t be shut down?  They emphasized at the end of the last game and the beginning of this one that her character became the most popular option.  That bothered me a lot that something so important in the first movie got overlooked in order to make the moral work.

Speaking of the moral, I had no problem with it because it isn’t done as often in animated movies so it didn’t feel as overdone.  But I didn’t like how it made the characters somewhat out of character from the first movie to make it work.  I already went in detail about Vanellope, but Ralph was definitely overly clingy to the point that I’m surprised Vanellope didn’t tell him off any sooner.  The only positive that case from Ralph being so OCD about Vanellope was that it made Ralph out to be the villain, which was a pretty good twist so Ralph can learn his lesson himself.

Thank goodness that the Disney self love sequence was not as substantial as I was fearing.  I especially liked how the Disney princess sequence tied in to the rest of the movie.  And the rest of the internet references weren’t as cliche as I was initially fearing.  Although I am surprised that they couldn’t get rights to showing YouTube in the movie when they did have Google.  Google owns YouTube.  BuzzTube worked obviously, but I just found it silly they couldn’t get the rights to have YouTube.  And one last thing...Fix-It Felix and Sgt Calhoun were pretty much useless.  Their subplot was nothing.  We didn’t see how the kids stopped acting like brats.  It meant absolutely nothing to the movie and that’s a shame.

Otherwise, the movie was good.  The first was a lot better but the second was fine.  I hope we don’t get any more of these movies.

Also, the title Ralph Breaks the Internet makes sense in context in the movie once you watch it and it makes sense in two ways.