• Advertisement

What's your religion?

Ron

Religion  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What do you see yourself as?

• Undecided
    • Denominational Protestant (Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, etc.)
    • Non-Denominational Protestant (Unaffiliated with any other sect of Christianity)
    • Catholic
    • Judaism
    • Islam
    • Buddhism
    • Hinduism
    • Taoism
    • Shinto
    • Atheist
    • Agnostic

I was raised in a Roman Catholic family, and I even attended church for a couple of years. But eventually I realized that I didn't agree with everything the church said and at times I felt like I was wasting my years on it. I slowly became disillusioned with religion after my first communion, my parents and grandparents wanted me to do my confirmation but I wasn't very interested in it. I'd say i'm more of an agnostic these days since I don't believe in religion, I do think there could be a higher being that essentially started life in the universe but not in the same way Abrahamic religions portrait it.

I was raised in a Roman Catholic family, and I even attended church for a couple of years. But eventually I realized that I didn't agree with everything the church said and at times I felt like I was wasting my years on it. I slowly became disillusioned with religion after my first communion, my parents and grandparents wanted me to do my confirmation but I wasn't very interested in it. I'd say i'm more of an agnostic these days since I don't believe in religion, I do think there could be a higher being that essentially started life in the universe but not in the same way Abrahamic religions portrait it.

We never got my confirmation done and my dad recently said we should get to it. I was like, nah...

I agree with Mayhem. For all we know there could've been a greater being that created us or has some influence on the universe as whole.... or we could be in the matrix, or we could've very well just poofed into existance.

I think this is probably the greatest question humanity has faced and I hope we eventually get the answer...

then again I might be long dead before we find out/it might never happen.

Fun to think about though.

I've found that the majority of internet peepz (forums, tumblr, etc.) are atheist or don't care about religion lol

Yeah, same. I do think Christianity gets a bit of a bad rap sometimes, since there are good Christians and bad Christians just like there are good atheists and bad atheists, but since there's a larger pool of Christians, of course there are going to be more crazies. I find that its best to respect other people's religion or lack thereof even if you don't personally agree with it.

• Like 2

I'll make this quick since I saw Mayhem bring this up. I'll admit, I don't agree with everything the Catholic Church stands for, like gay marriage for instance. Basically, you don't always have to agree with everything whether it's groups, friends, etc. That and I am intrigued that maybe there really is a greater being that's not God. Sure I still believe in God, I guess you could call me very curious.

• Like 1

I'll make this quick since I saw Mayhem bring this up. I'll admit, I don't agree with everything the Catholic Church stands for, like gay marriage for instance.

This. I mean seriously, they oppose it because they believe the bible says homosexuality is unnatural...

..Ya know, the same book where a guy walks on water, snakes talk, people come back from the dead, and a virgin has a baby

This. I mean seriously, they oppose it because they believe the bible says homosexuality is unnatural...

..Ya know, the same book where a guy walks on water, snakes talk, people come back from the dead, and a virgin has a baby

I never got it either :/. 

I never really got where they get this point from. They area where they claim it's mentioned is so super vague it's pretty much the interpretation of it that changes the meaning to fit their point. 

I would consider myself Non-Denominational, since my family doesn't associate with any specific sect.

I'll make this quick since I saw Mayhem bring this up. I'll admit, I don't agree with everything the Catholic Church stands for, like gay marriage for instance. Basically, you don't always have to agree with everything whether it's groups, friends, etc. That and I am intrigued that maybe there really is a greater being that's not God. Sure I still believe in God, I guess you could call me very curious.

Part of the reason why I said I didn't agree with what the church said was because they have different moral values from a person like me. Many people consider themselves free thinkers, be it people with one ideology or the other; a lot of people just won't accept one doctrine since it could very well contradict itself as someone said above. I remember asking members of my church about God's appearance and our purpose in the world, and they used to say that Jesus reflected God's ideals and his appearance, but I never got a concrete answer besides that. Its part of the reason why I became disillusioned with the church, despite the amount of good people I met during my church years. I reached a certain point where I wanted to search for the answer myself, I did a lot of research on the subject and came into conclusion that its impossible to know what our purpose is in life, no matter how scientists, philosophers, academics, and theologians research it we can never know the truth. What we can say is that people have the right to decide how they're gonna live their lives, its part of what makes us humans to begin with. A single philosophy simply can't tell us how we should live our lives, sure we can believe in anything and have our own ideals but the truth is that people have certain lifestyles that need to be accepted, the worst thing a faith can do to you is deciding how you're gonna live your life, something unacceptable for a lot of people. For that reason I believe in a higher being, but not in religious doctrines, because we should get the final word for every decision we make.

Raised Christian to the point where I was obsessively reading my Bible every free moment I had in school and pretty much flipped out at anything that contradicted my beliefs. Strong atheist now, ever since I realized religion had no benefit on me whatsoever.

I'm an atheist but was a Christian for many many years and my parents are Catholic, though they never go to service or anything. I'm kind of getting tired of all these asshole skeptics online that basically replace a faith in religion with some other kind of dogma and I'm not gonna namedrop anyone but you know the names. I also don't associate myself with that crowd. I understand that there are many people in my life and elsewhere that are reasonably intelligent that are Christians or Muslims or Jewish or whatever and that's fine too and I respect that. They're not all like Kirk Cameron.

Death is a very hard thing for a lot of us to really understand and I get that there's also that appeal in wanting to know for sure what actually happens when we die besides all the physical stuff.. Do whatever you want in your personal life, but my issue is when there starts to be this odd mix of church and state going on, like what happened with the recent execution in Oklahoma where the governor stopped that execution mainly because of what the Pope had said to him, rather than because the governor himself thought that the execution was wrong or he listened to people who had protested said execution, that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Raised a catholic, tho I was never baptized so I've never really considered myself one. I believe there is a God, I'm not into organized religion, I believe that what's between me and God is between me and God, nobody else. Might sound pretty dumb, but I like to think God is much like Futurama's interpretation of him (my personal favorite interpretation of the big man in any medium). Seems a lot more believable than any scripture.