• Advertisement

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie vs. Sponge Out of Water

Wumbo

The Better Movie  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie is better?

• The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie
    • Sponge Out of Water

To simply put it I liked the original because of the emotional impact of SpongeBob being treated just as a kid and the comedy, but the second movie is great because of the variety, Plankton on the good guys' side and lovely art. 

The first movie is the one I've watched since I was a kid, so I'm definitely more fond of it. Also, it has a stronger plot and a more interesting character arc than the second movie. Despite that, SOOW does have the edge humor-wise and makes a better popcorn flick. If I had to choose between them, I'd stick with the original, though.

Basically the Season 1 versus Season 3 argument.

On one hand you have a unique, strongly developed piece about growing up with deeply emotional themes and funny stuff, although slightly strange when it isn't being grand. Loaded down with moments that delve into the psyche of the characters although only a few are actually touched on.

On the other hand, you've got a non-stop laugh riot that sacrifices that emotion for a comfortable and laid-back feel, both with plot and characters that allows for more comedy, but weaker emotional beats. Definitely delves into nonsense sometimes, but also lightly goes over interesting plot and character arcs and is proof that more time spent with the characters makes them more comedically viable.

Season.1/2, or 3. I still can't decide whether the funnier movie or the deeper one is better, but more often than not I lean towards the original.

• Like 3

I'm just going to be honest, I didn't really think the first movie was that special. It's a good movie, there's no doubt about it, but I just think it's not as good as I definitely hoped for when I first saw it. I think it's a little too mellow, a little too slow, or heck, a little too mature for a show like SpongeBob. There are a lot of strong themes and emotional moments sprinkled around it. There's nothing wrong with that, heck, it's actually good, but I would prefer a nonsensical, cheesy, high-tempo, madness of a movie, jam-packed with utterly crazy visuals and a really creatively out-there plot. Which is what the second movie is. 

In that sense, I guess the first movie is 'objectively' a better-made movie, but the second is a much purer entertainment. 

Honestly I felt the first movie had more to offer in general, mostly for its story and character development. It had not only the typical humor we find on the show but also a story that can easily be resumed as Spongebob's ambition to achieve something in life, which in the long run he achieved, even if he had to go to the ends of the Earth to achieve it. Plankton also had a big ambition, though he got what he deserved in the end. The movie really says a lot about the future of the story, even if the show doesn't actually have a continuity to it.

I haven't seen much of the second movie to judge it (only some scenes) but judging from what I saw, it wasn't as intriguing as the first film, yet it had its moments of comedy and greater involvement of the crew, unlike the first movie which was mostly SB and Patrick trying to retrieve King Neptune's crown.

• Like 1

The second one's regular animation was pretty good, although the CGI parts were a bit...well I don't know how to say it. It feels a bit rushed to me, like it could've been fully fledged out more, with that tiny bit lacking, I'd say SOoW is an 8.5

The original had pretty much everything, heck I don't care about not as much comedy, I'm more of a story guy, and it does have the occasional laughs while being mainly story driven, and if people complain about the WBB episode Burrito for getting them in the feels (no freakin joke I can't make this stuff up here! This has been brought to you by: The existence of the internet!) then this movie is that, times a million, not to mention Alec Baldwin as Dennis, the animation, the story, the comedy as I've said is not as strong as it's more subtle, and the ending, the only thing that's a bummer is how far Plankton went, but with last hope beliefs that it's true a belief 100% in my heart that the second movie is later timewise, it does lift it up a bit more. I honestly give the first movie a 9.5/10, beating SOoW.

It's no contest really.  While the second movie was fun and I enjoyed it, it's not a movie that I think is going to hold up well as the years go by.  Sure it was funnier, but be completely honest here.  Will those same jokes hold up well as the years go by?  Not all of them will.  I can already tell you that some of these jokes (especially the rap at the end) will become dated ten years from now.  If anything will hold up well from this, it will be the story which I think is underrated since I know a lot of people like the humor more from this one.

The original still holds up well because it was a perfect blend of great storytelling, underrated 2-D animation at the time, good humor when it needed to be, and memorable one note characters.  I will remember characters like Dennis and Mindy far more than I will characters like Burger Beard.  Just saying.

The original gets my vote.

It's no contest really. While the second movie was fun and I enjoyed it, it's not a movie that I think is going to hold up well as the years go by. Sure it was funnier, but be completely honest here. Will those same jokes hold up well as the years go by? Not all of them will. I can already tell you that some of these jokes (especially the rap at the end) will become dated ten years from now. If anything will hold up well from this, it will be the story which I think is underrated since I know a lot of people like the humor more from this one.

The original still holds up well because it was a perfect blend of great storytelling, underrated 2-D animation at the time, good humor when it needed to be, and memorable one note characters. I will remember characters like Dennis and Mindy far more than I will characters like Burger Beard. Just saying.

The original gets my vote.

How about Bubbles? :P

The first movie, because of the more concise (and ultimately more deserving of a feature) plot. The second movie's plot felt like a bunch of good TV movie ideas strewn together. Also, some of the jokes (such as the rap battle) will probably be dated in a few years.

The first movie has a more epic storyline and is slightly more serious and darker, the second have much more jokes than the first movie but the problem is that, I feel like the jokes in the 2nd movie becomes old easily and outdated in a short amount of time, they were funny in the 1st viewing but the 2nd time not anymore, for me. That said, I prefer the first movie.

• Like 1

I prefer the original movie. I was entertained the whole time and I like that it was just spongebob and Patrick. One problem I have with it is the ending goofy goober rock. The song was awesome it's just that it didn't make sense. It was a quick way out of the plankton plot. I wish the movie could have been a little longer so sponge on can defeat plankton in a realistic way