• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

Full commentary up for 28! As well, I quell 4EverGreen's concerns slightly with...

22. "You have your elbow in my ribs."

Wunschbrunnen.jpg

Wishing You Well, 94 points

(8 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, Fluttershy)

After Mr. Krabs sees a child throwing a coin down a well, much to his horror, he learns about wishing wells, and creates The Eugene Krabs Memorial Wishing Well in hope of making money from it. SpongeBob and Squidward are tasked with digging the well, and SpongeBob does all the work, singing a song about the well's magic while doing so. After the well's completion, SpongeBob obtains a "promotion" in which he has to stay in the bottom of the well all day and night to collect coins that fall in.

After Sandy, Plankton and Mrs. Puff throw coins into the well and make their wishes, Patrick arrives and throws his soda cup into the well, thinking it to be a trash can. SpongeBob tries to explain to him that it is a wishing well, and Patrick mistakes the voice as coming from the "trash can." He wishes that SpongeBob was here to see the magic trash can with him, and when he tries to throw his coin into the well, he falls inside and meets SpongeBob at the bottom. That night, Mr. Krabs arrives to collect the money, and SpongeBob asks him if any of the wishes have come true yet. Mr. Krabs falsely says that if they "believe hard enough" and "dig deep enough," the wishes will come true.

The two buddies take this literally, and begin to dig the well deeper. Eventually, SpongeBob finds a glowing crack on the ground and claims that he has "found the magic." Squidward later comes to the well to tell them how good it feels that they aren't able to bother him. SpongeBob tells him that they found the magic, and Squidward, laughing at them, explains that there is no magic and that wishing wells are nothing more than a scam. SpongeBob wishes that he could see the magic for himself, and Squidward falls into the well, and SpongeBob and Patrick's antics continue to torment him as he desperately tries to escape. The next day, Mr. Krabs arrives to check on the well as Squidward finally climbs out, with SpongeBob and Patrick following.

Squidward wishes to get as far away from the well as possible, and is subsequently hit by and stuck to the front of a bus going to "far away." Mr. Krabs asks SpongeBob how much money they made, and SpongeBob explains that they made no money, but found the magic. Mr. Krabs then tries to explain to him that there is no such thing as magic, but then sees that the wishes of Sandy, Mrs. Puff and Plankton have all come true. The skeptical Mr. Krabs still doesn't believe in magic, and tries to prove that magic doesn't exist by wishing to be "steamed and served with a side of melted butter."

His wish is granted, and a live-action human with a bib reading "THE END" prepares to eat Mr. Krabs in his meal.

jjs: This is a hilarious and fun episode. There's a lot of clever gags between SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick throughout, and while some may think it's overrated and it doesn't hold up, I still enjoy it.

SOF: this made my list,  (#16). This one here has some pretty funny, loved how SB finding magic in wishing well. Patrick shoving Squidward off b/c he thought he's afraid of Santa (which actually means a small spaces) Overall, it's fun episode.

Also Mystery is that you?

Wumbo: I know this has become one of the more well-remembered Season 4 episodes as of late. Heck, I even had it on my list at one point. But as time went on, despite the admittedly great jokes and fun atmosphere I couldn't help but feel that there was something off to me about this episode. Something that was preventing me from liking it and considering it more than I do. Then I figured it out. "Wishing You Well" is a painfully predictable episode. You know Squidward's gonna fall down the well with SpongeBob and Patrick. You know all the wishes are going to come true in rapid succession. And you definitely know that Mr. Krabs' "wish" is going to come true as well. And honestly, good jokes don't keep this one holding up for me for that very reason. Pre-movie SpongeBob always took you on a journey, where maybe you could predict some elements but it would also feel like you're experiencing these things at the same time everyone inside your TV screen is. This episode felt very planned, and I dislike when I'm watching something as planned as this. Not a total loss, but this does not deserve to be up with the big boys, IMO.

• Like 7

#22 - As a kid, I saw All That Glitters in full but not Wishing You Well. The episode itself is ok at best. Obviously, the best part is the ending. No, not because the episode was horrible, which is isn't. See the ending for yourself.

Haven't made a single comment on this list yet except for the first couple, I think. So far I don't see too many problems with the episodes chosen. Very heavily dominated by pre first movie episodes as expected. Rightfully so due to smart writing and far too many excellent episodes from the first three episodes. I am pleasantly surprised that the voters this go around are far more open to post movie episodes. Shows that we are more open minded about the fact that if it's not a first movie episode, doesn't make it automatically not up to par with the first three seasons.

That being said, I don't see the big deal with Wishing You Well. It's one of the better episodes of Season 4 and it's good, but I don't honestly see what's so all time great about it. I feel like it's missing something that can take it to that next level. The song is good, the jokes are solid, but maybe it's how forced some of the dialogue is? I don't know.

• Like 4

Haven't made a single comment on this list yet except for the first couple, I think. So far I don't see too many problems with the episodes chosen. Very heavily dominated by pre first movie episodes as expected. Rightfully so due to smart writing and far too many excellent episodes from the first three episodes. I am pleasantly surprised that the voters this go around are far more open to post movie episodes. Shows that we are more open minded about the fact that if it's not a first movie episode, doesn't make it automatically not up to par with the first three seasons.

That being said, I don't see the big deal with Wishing You Well. It's one of the better episodes of Season 4 and it's good, but I don't honestly see what's so all time great about it. I feel like it's missing something that can take it to that next level. The song is good, the jokes are solid, but maybe it's how forced some of the dialogue is? I don't know.

If you ask me, WYW was great mainly because of the humor and the energy just like most of pre-movie episodes.

"Wumbo? Are there gonna be any episodes that aired somewhat recently coming up? It's great that we're increasing variety over the last list, but I don't think there's been a single episode after 2007 thus far."

:NUGGETS:

21. "Nice rebound, Spot! You know, I get squished a lot too. ...I hope nobody saw that emotional outburst."

728.png

Plankton's Pet, 94 points

(9 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #7, 4EverGreen)

It begins in the Krusty Krab where a man gets a Krabby Patty, but then a baby comes and takes the Krabby Patty. Everyone thought it was cute, thinking it was a real baby, but Mr. Krabs was able to see Plankton inside the baby. Mr. Krabs started beating him up, but because everybody still thought it was a real baby, they were all outraged. Then Mr. Krabs ripped off the head revealing Plankton inside a baby robot. Mr. Krabs put the head back on and launched him back to the Chum Bucket and Karen then took off the diaper and put it in the trash where Plankton walks out. Karen told him that he should get a pet and SpongeBob, who just happened to hear their conversation, decided to help him look for a pet. At the animal shelter, Plankton sees a guard worm, an old gross snail, and even Patrick. Plankton almost gets swallowed by a pet. Then an amoeba saves his life. Plankton chooses the amoeba and decides to call him Spot.

At the Chum Bucket Plankton teaches Spot some tricks like stay, sit, and roll over. Then he teaches him how to steal a Krabby Patty. Plankton wasn't finished talking when Spot left to the Krusty Krab unseen to get a Krabby Patty. When Spot comes back, Plankton is rapt, thinking he finally won but is then enraged when Spot eats the krabby patty in one bite. He punishes Spot by tying his leash to the mailbox. Seconds later, Plankton feels bad, but when he runs back outside he finds Spot's leash, with no amoeba to be seen. Plankton then goes out to find him, with SpongeBob's help. Soon they stumble upon the shelter, then go inside. It is very dark inside so SpongeBob tries to find the light switch. There are 2 switches, so SpongeBob turns on both. One turns on the lights, and the other opened the pens. The guard worm, sea monkey, and sea urchin all chase SpongeBob and Plankton. When they lose the animals, Plankton realizes Spot had been on his optical cornea (his eye) the whole time. The other pets then find Plankton and SpongeBob again so Spot tries to scare them off. The animals laugh at Spot because he's so small but then he grows about a hundred times bigger and easily scares the animals away. Plankton then decides he is going to keep Spot and was sorry he yelled at him. 

4EverGreen: This is such a WONDERFUL gem, and the fact that it came out in the most RECENT season of "Spongebob Squarepants," just gives it a more magical quality! In the majority of the episodes that Plankton is in, he's almost NEVER given a break, never given a warm, loving, caring person who always sticks by him. Granted, Karen DOES sometimes show some emotion (at least, the type of emotion a computer CAN give) but this episode is REALLY special! Plankton finds an amoeba pet, a little amoeba dog he decides to call Spot. I just want to say that Spot is so adorable, and it's both really funny and cute how the random fishes keep going "Awww!" Whenever Plankton shows emotion and care for Spot! And when the animals tried to attack Plankton, Spot SURPRISED them all by BRIEFLY turning giant, and frightening them all away! This episode is a good episode, in the fact that it shows, that the best way to HAVE friends, is to BE a friend yourself! This definitely helps Plankton's transformation in "Sponge Out of Water," be all that more believeable. I really hope we get a LOT more episodes with some Plankton/Spot interaction!

OMLJ: Plankton's Pet is a pretty decent episode. It made it at #20 on my great list. Instead of one of those usual "Plankton tries to steal the recipe" plotlines, it tries something different and Plankton decides to get a pet named Spot (who is really cute, by the way). When Plankton loses Spot, he starts to become worried and look everywhere for him, but he turns out to be in Plankton's pupil. When they accidentally open the animal pens and they start to attack, Spot decides to defend his owner and scare the other animals away and the episode ends. As short as it may be, it was still a great and sweet episode.

Wumbo: Say what you will about the uneven Season 9, but it has definitely given us a modern classic in "Plankton's Pet". The most original Plankton episode we've had in AGES, it manages to show a softer side of Plankton and still be funny as hell all the same. Spot is honestly adorable, and I wish he had made more appearances. This episode just kept climbing up the best list as more and more people added it, and you can definitely see why after watching the episode. It felt like the writers were finally listening to the fans and decided to shake things up with Plankton. And it paid off beautifully. Didn't make my personal list as it's a tad too cutesy for my taste, but I can definitely acknowledge why this episode is so beloved and I can't say I disagree with its placement.

• Like 8

Like OMLJ, I had Wishing You Well at #20 on m personal list. It's a solid season 4 episode.

As for Plankton's Pet, it's a really cute episode, even if we probably won't see Spot again.

I'll go on and gush/fangirl about "Wishing You Well" sometime later when I have the energy to release my passion, but as for Plankton's Pet, well, when I said "After 2007" I meant "After 2007 minus the obvious" (This and Hello Bikini Bottom!, to be exact). Of course, it's obvious for a reason. It's the episode people point to when saying Season 9 is getting back on track. Why? Sure, you could go on and talk about how much emotion there is, or it's refreshing grounds, or that it's one of the rare episodes that finally broke the status quo, or any other reason you can come up with, but really, the real reason for me is because it's adorable. Plankton taking a break from the formula for once to give all his love and loyalty to Spot, and having that love come back to him, is pretty inspiring, easy to relate to, and rather cute. On top of the fact that all of it is so tiny made it even cuter, and I loved that they finally brought back jokes revolving around them being tiny, something that hasn't been around for long. It's very nice to see SpongeBob and Plankton to team up to rescue Spot, because even if it's only been for a little while, it's impossible to let go of the ones you really love, only to ironically be stuck in his eyelid the whole time. Some of my favorite jokes were "Karen, it's not giving me unconditional love, I think it's defective!" and the joke about Plankton walking for miles while barely getting anywhere, lol. :P It's in my Top 3 Modern Episodes for sure.

• Like 1

I'm honestly surprised that I was the highest to rank "Plankton's Pet." Even so, it's relatively high placeing despite being so recent, is a testament to its great strength. Who knows? In another two years, it might climb up even HIGHER on the list!