• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

Man, I don't think this list is capable of having an episode I dislike on it at this point. WTBC is a pretty funny episode and the only episode I can remember off the top of my head where it's shown that Mr. Krabs actually does care about Spongebob.

17. "Squidward, we don't need a television. Not as long as we have our... imaginaaaation!"

Idiot_Box_020.jpg

Idiot Box, 115 points

(7 of 26 lists. 1 #1 vote - Cha)

Squidward sees a large box being delivered to SpongeBob and Patrick. They open the box, which contains a giant flat-screen television. Patrick and SpongeBob throw the television away, but keep the box. Squidward asks why they threw the television away, and SpongeBob explains that "We don't need television, as long as we have our... imagination." Squidward, not wanting any part of this, asks for the television, and they let him have it. Once he takes the TV back inside his house, he realizes that the remote control is missing and he goes back outside for it. He hears SpongeBob and Patrick begin - supposedly - to mountain climb inside the box and, annoyed by their stupidity, he gives the box a hard kick. A sound of an avalanche suddenly erupts from the box, shocking Squidward. Concerned, he taps the box, prompting another avalanche. Squidward hears a critically injured SpongeBob and Patrick saying that their limbs are frozen and that they have to cut them off, and rushes over to the box, opens it, and the noises immediately stop. He questions them about the noises, but they act oblivious and he leaves. Suddenly, the sound of a helicopter is heard and Squidward ducks. Realizing that it is coming from the box, he angrily opens the box and confronts them again. SpongeBob simply tells him that all of it is coming from their imagination. Squidward says that he has plenty of imagination, to which Patrick replies, "Good, now all you need is a box." Squidward gets a box, attempts to imitate SpongeBob and Patrick's experiences, and fails. After kicking his box in anger, he hears the sound of police sirens outside. Thinking that his kicking of the box is the cause, he goes outside with his box to apologize. He is quick to realize that the noises are coming from the box SpongeBob and Patrick are playing in. Furious, he kicks the box he was holding, which Patrick retrieves, saying, "Whoopee! Another box!"

Squidward then begins watching TV to get his mind off the box, but all the shows that are on involve boxes. He then hears a space shuttle launch. As he tries to think of how they could possibly manage to make such realistic sound effects, it dawns upon him that they are probably using a tape recorder. Angered, he marches outside and demands the tape recorder from SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob tells him that they don't have a tape recorder, which Squidward doesn't believe. He decides to join them in the box to see how they are managing to make the sound effects. After being asked where he wants to go, he asks to go to "Robot-Pirate Island." However, he sees nothing but SpongeBob and Patrick closing their eyes and saying stereotypical phrases of robots and pirates (Arrr, You'll walk the plank for that, beep beep, etc.) Squidward returns to his house and soon hears the sounds of an epic robot-pirate battle. Having enough, Squidward decides to sneak in the box after SpongeBob and Patrick go to bed to find a device that could make the sound effects. The show cuts to late at night, when a pirate victory celebration is heard.

Once SpongeBob and Patrick abandon the box and go to bed, Squidward sneaks outside and enters the box, looking for something that would make the noise. Squidward finds no such device after a scan of the box. Realizing that the box is in fact empty, Squidward wonders if it really was their imagination that caused the sound effects, but he immediately dismisses the notion, thinking that it is ridiculous. He mockingly starts pretending to be a race car driver, but suddenly he begins to hear noises. He imagines himself racing, and feels all the movements of actually driving a race car. However, in reality, these sounds and movements are due to a garbage truck hauling the box away. It is then dumped into the landfill, and Squidward flies out of the box, landing face-first in a pie. The next day, SpongeBob and Patrick realize the box is gone and they decided to go visit Squidward. Patrick says "I hope he's not too down in the dumps today" as the episode ends.

Cha: I'm a sucker for SpongeBob and Patrick related plots where they the most basic of things to have fun and use their imagination to make it enjoyable. In this case the whole episode is literally about them using imagination to have one of the best times ever... sitting inside a cardboard box of all things. (Don't tell me you never tried this as a kid and teenager as well.) I think what makes this episode work so well is that they never give the mystery away of the box (unlike the literal The Secret Box). We are forever left wondering how they were able to make such noises inside of it. And that's where Squidward comes in,  he represents us as an audience. And by not showing Robot Pirate Island and so forth, we are forced to use our own imagination to come up how the box works and what these worlds look like. I guess along with episodes like The Snowball Effect, I love the episodes where the two goofballs basically do nothing but have fun and somehow it lures in Squidward. It's great to see how far this man will go until he snaps because of the mystery of SpongeBob's box. Kind of like how SpongeBob can have fun with only a piece of paper. Idiot Box has been my favorite for years and I'll always love it. 

MMM: This episode is literally about a box. However, this episode made my top five, and for some good reasons. The plot is really simple, yet absolutely brilliant and complicated at the same time. The characters are very well written, each of them having strengths and...not very many weaknesses, I guess. This episode is really funny, like in the TV scene or just the ending. I can't really describe why this episode is so great, just go ahead and watch it yourself.

Wumbo: I like to compare this episode to "The Paper", which you could almost see as a precursor; SpongeBob having fun with a seemingly worthless item and Squidward gradually getting more and more jealous. And while I do love "The Paper" for what it did with the concept and for being the first to do so, you gotta hand it to "Idiot Box" for just really knocking it out of the park with its comedy. SpongeBob and Patrick work as a great comedic duo in this episode, from their inside-the-box scenes to gradually making Squidward angrier and angrier with their antics. It definitely serves as an example of a successful SpongeBob episode through its comedy and, like its precursor, what they could do with such a simple concept. I'd argue that some of the jokes are a little too strong for the plot, but in retrospect that's a pretty silly complaint. I definitely appreciate the episode for what it builds on with SpongeBob's, and indeed the show's imaginative side as a whole. Yep, it just goes to show you where a little imaginaaaation will get you.

• Like 6

...FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

We're in predictable territory already. :P

Well, did you expect House Fancy to be on the list? :P

Idiot Box isn't one of my favorite episodes but the creativity of the premise was fun.

• Like 1

18. This one didn't make my list. TBH, I don't think it's worthy of its spot on here.

17. Made #17 on my list, actually. Not as good as people say it is, but still great.

BRACE YOURSELVES GUYS, WE'RE REACHING THE PREDICTABLE EPISODES!

No I mean it's all the overhyped episodes like CWN territory.

That saying I find it an 8/10, nowhere near my top 50.

I wouldn't say they're overhyped, but a lot of people consider these episodes classics.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say they're overhyped, but a lot of people consider these episodes classics.

I find these classics hyped up for the sake of being classics, I mean I myself have a few exceptions here but I feel like I can be one of the few who actually says "I feel like this is overrated" with a straight face. I guess I just seem to find these opinions a bit different that I change my viewpoint on some of them, I can't really say.  :squilliam2:

I find these classics hyped up for the sake of being classics, I mean I myself have a few exceptions here but I feel like I can be one of the few who actually says "I feel like this is overrated" with a straight face. I guess I just seem to find these opinions a bit different that I change my viewpoint on some of them, I can't really say. :squilliam2:

I feel the same way to a few ones like CWN and KKTV too. They didn't make to my list because they are mentioned to death, not to mention, I've seen better episodes than those.

I find these classics hyped up for the sake of being classics, I mean I myself have a few exceptions here but I feel like I can be one of the few who actually says "I feel like this is overrated" with a straight face. I guess I just seem to find these opinions a bit different that I change my viewpoint on some of them, I can't really say.  :squilliam2:

And I myself don't like to call anything overrated, though there are some popular episodes that I don't care for or love as much as other people do  :squilliam2:  But I respect your opinions.

And I myself don't like to call anything overrated, though there are some popular episodes that I don't care for or love as much as other people do  :squilliam2:  But I respect your opinions.

I feel like they're overrated and talked to death and that doesn't help it make my list as I am a bit strict on those. although one did make my list for good reasons. I will say that. ;)

How do you think episodes become "classics" in the first place?

I just don't find them as much as a classic as others. That's all really

I'm not sure if "Welcome to the Chum Bucket" made my list, I think I overlooked that one (which is odd, because I certainly didn't overlook "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI"), but I'm pretty sure that "Idiot Box" made my list. Just waiting for the rest of the list! :D