• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

Hell, why the ::dolphin noise:: didn't I put this on my list!?!?!?!?!? Excuse me now while I bang my head on the nearest concrete wall repeatedly.

That's how I feel about some of thess eps on the list too. I guess I shouldn't rush too quickly. Maybe in a future list, I'll get it right.

That's how I feel about some of thess eps on the list too. I guess I shouldn't rush too quickly. Maybe in a future list, I'll get it right.

I mean, I edited it three times before the list editing deadline, yet I managed to slip up by forgetting this amazing masterpiece every single time? I can excuse myself for not including some episodes I didn't realize were fantastic at the time, (Frozen Face-Off), or maybe some of the lower positioned episodes (Pizza Delivery, Snowball Effect), but this is completely inexcusable and I demand we start this whole list project-thing over so I can reimburse it's glory! This is Top 10 Material people! :P

• Like 1

I mean, I edited it three times before the list editing deadline, yet I managed to slip up by forgetting this amazing masterpiece every single time? I can excuse myself for not including some episodes I didn't realize were fantastic at the time, (Frozen Face-Off), or maybe some of the lower positioned episodes (Pizza Delivery, Snowball Effect), but this is completely inexcusable and I demand we start this whole list project-thing over so I can reimburse it's glory! This is Top 10 Material people! :P

Nah, maybe next year, you'll include.

7. "We shall never deny a guest, even the most ridiculous request!"

krusty-towers-2.jpg?format=jpeg&matteCol

Krusty Towers, 196 points

(14 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, Clappy)

Both Squidward and SpongeBob are walking to work, and SpongeBob tells a story about overcooking the fries. In the meantime, Squidward realizes the Krusty Krab has dramatically changed. Mr. Krabs has turned it into the Krusty Towers, with the original building now on top of a large tower. Mr. Krabs explains that while he was on vacation, he was shocked by his outrageously high hotel bills, tallying up to $345.00 (mostly shocked at a twenty five dollar charge for a hamburger he had), and realized how much money hotels can make. He says that the employees there lived by a code: "We shall never deny a guest even the most ridiculous request," which was on a gold plaque above a fireplace in the hotel he stayed at. He put that one for the Krusty Towers. A customer enters to buy a Double Krabby Patty with cheese, then leaves when Mr. Krabs tells him that he must book a hotel room to order room service to eat their food. Patrick soon arrives, and becomes the hotel's first actual guest. After signing the register, which he believed was a test, Squidward carries Patrick's bags (which were full of rocks), and he tries to take the guest elevator, but Mr. Krabs stops him and explains that he must take the "employee elevator," which is in fact a staircase. Patrick then requests Squidward several more times for ridiculous reasons. Whenever Squidward got to the bottom of the hotel, Mr. Krabs told him to go back up to do something that Patrick wants. After failing to give Patrick a "bubble bath," he quits.

He walks out the door and comes back as a guest instead of an employee. He demands a room on the top floor and that Mr. Krabs to carry him to get there. Then he ordered a Krabby Patty for Mr. Krabs to eat because it had hair and toenails, for humor obviously. Also, Patrick had all the cheese which were supposed to be on that Krabby Patty. He then wanted his cookies like the ones his mother makes which Mr. Krabs resentfully had to get. Then, he wanted Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob to repaint his room only to get it back to its original state. He then wanted an indoor pool. After getting an indoor swimming pool, Patrick jumps in, and the force causes the hotel to collapse, leaving only the original Krusty Krab standing.

Patrick, SpongeBob, Squidward and Mr. Krabs luckily survive, but end up in the hospital with massive injuries. When Mr. Krabs sees the hospital fee ($15,000), he scraps the idea of a hotel and tells Squidward, SpongeBob and Patrick that they are going to medical school, much to Squidward's dismay and SpongeBob and Patrick's delight.

SOF: this is one of best episodes IMO, this feels like s2 or s3 ep to me it has great jokes and it made me laughs a few times which is hilarious oh i loved how they kidnapped Squidward's mother to make cookies xD

Overall, it's a decent episode.

spongebobviewer: A lot of Spongebob fans separate the seasons into pre-movie and post movie, but an interesting thing is most of the post movie episode lists contain a lot of season 4. This is because of the great animation and the feel that still encapsulated pre-movie humor while being more combustible in interactions between people. Basically the characters were a little more of jerks in different cases but the episodes still worked out for the most parts. Basically it was like 

I tend to really like Squidward winning episodes and in this one it's sweet to see Krab's get his comeuppance for making Krabs follow through on his Golden Plaque " We Shall never deny a guest, even the most Ridiculous  request ". Squidward isnt a good worker usually but under the circumstances he's totally justified in quitting and checking in as a guest to make krabs. This episode beyond being a Squidward wins episodes doubles in the sense that Squidward's suffering is quite funny as well. He's on both ends of the food chain and his reactions in both are funny both his seething rage and his smug requests.

This episode has a lot of funny "patrick's an idiot" moments such as the whole scene where he orders a krabby patty and a room with cheese, cheese on the krabby patty. His whole bewilderment scene was hilarious. Him being shy to call squidward and getting over it once he's on the 1st floor is funny as well. He shines as a supporting player here, in fact it's odd to say but Spongbob is really in the background in this episode. It's essentially a Squidward/Patrick/Krabs episode which is a rare combination but it worked out great.

The funniest part of this entire episode was the Mrs. Tentacles Kidnapping fakeout because it's so random, like you think they're going to just ask her but it shows them in ski masks looking like their kidnapping her. Which isnt so dark that it couldnt be real but then Spongebob hits a bag in the trunk with a shovel and for a split second, your mind actually believes they are hitting her until the funny reveal. This is a bait and switch done right because the bait comes out of nowhere and isnt unbelievable. Then we get a few more laughs, the neighbors actually having fun together, and then the status quo literally crushes the hotel. To end we have Krabs telling them they're going to medical school which 22nd Jump Street totally stole the idea for their sequel. Hahaha.

This episode is one of the highest on my list and it's a true classic in every sense. Great Character Interactions, Humour, Animation and everything included in it was gold. Just an elite episode and I'm glad it's top 10. 

SB_DW: If you ask people what is the best post-movie episode ever, I'm pretty sure most of them will say Krusty Towers. While it's not my favorite post-movie episode, it's definetly up there. This is the post-movie episode that I can definetly say it feels like a pre-movie episode. Why? Because we have really funny conversations, really silly moments, charming music and best of all, characters are in their character and they have enough scenes to shine but of course the best thing about this episode is Squidward treating Mr. Krab like crap. Yeah, it sounds really cruel but it's understandable why Squidward wanted to do that. Mr. Krabs really made him tired from the work and all of stupid requests from Patrick (and by the way, Patrick's requests are really funny), so Squidward decided to do the same thing to Mr. Krabs. It's a really cool turm to make the episode more interesting and funnier until the episode ends on a funny note. This is post-movie at one of it's finest but that is no surprise because this is from season 4. Yeah, season 4 had some bad episodes but with episodes like Krusty Towers, Wishing You Well, Skill Crane, Fear of a Krabby Patty and Big Pink Purloiner, season 4 is just as classic as first three seasons but season 4 has it's own charm too.

Wumbo: It's kind of crazy to think about just how much praise this episode has gotten over the years. From the moment it aired, it had a place sealed in the true classics vault of SpongeBob SquarePants. Do I think it belongs there? Well... I can see why people love it so much, and I used to love it a lot too, but... I don't know, I wouldn't call it a classic episode or anything.

Let's start with the positives. The humour in this episode? Top notch. This is the kind of funny that you should expect from SpongeBob. Fast-paced, smart, and wild all the way through. The new location is interesting. This is probably the most shaken up the Krusty Krab, in its physical form, has been, and with it we get a hotel location, which we haven't seen before, and it does help to add to this episode's memorability.

So that sounds like a great episode complete with two things I really look for. Should be prime picking for my list, right? Well... there are problems I have. The biggest one being that this episode has no stakes, at least not for the second half. It's just... Squidward being an irritating customer and Mr. Krabs going "arrgh". It's funny, don't get me wrong, some of the jokes in here are spectacular. But when you have a plot as flimsy as this, even with great jokes, it's hard to keep me invested. Despite the memorable humour, I find this episode a little muddled because it's just jokes and funny situations without any real plot progression for the entire second half.

The other qualm I have with this episode - and this is going to sound really weird in SpongeBob fan culture, I realize - I think Squidward is treated too well in this one.

Let me explain what I mean with an episode I really love, "Band Geeks". In that episode, Squidward goes through so much turmoil and frustration before he gets his comeback at the end. That comeback is deserved, and it is well praised for that reason. In this episode, he... goes up and down stairs and provides customer service, and the entire second half is dedicated to icing his wounds? That's weird. That's really weird. It almost plays out like a fanservice to people who are tired of "Squidward abuse". It's almost pandering, in a way.

But like I said, I do get this episode's love and I'm not surprised to see it so high. I just have my personal qualms with it that prevent me from putting it in my top 25 any longer. But hey, if you liked it enough to do so, awesome! You're in good company. More than half the participants, that is!

• Like 8

I'm wondering Wumbo, what post-movie episodes that made your list?   :smirk:

And oh, I didn't realize 22 Jump Street stole the idea of medical school, good point sblover :P but meh, who cares? They'll make the the third movie just as funny as the first two.

Okay, now that the arguable biggest "Modern" (if you can even call 10 years ago modern anymore :P) episode has been revealed, expecting more beyond, like, one super popular one at the absolute most, post-movie's done with it's run on the list :(.

And shoot I gotta send in commentary for #6 soon...

• Like 1

Okay, now that the arguable biggest "Modern" (if you can even call 10 years ago modern anymore :P) episode has been revealed, expecting more beyond, like, one super popular one at the absolute most, post-movie's done with it's run on the list :(.

And shoot I gotta send in commentary for #6 soon...

Sweet, we are commenting on the same episode.

I just don't flat out get why this is loved so much, I admit it's a classic but I always feel like I'm missing something that almost everyone else sees on this no matter how many times I re-watch it, it just stays out of list contention. I willingly re-watch this over and over and I must be missing something here. :/