• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

5. "Two giant paint bubbles!"

Wet_Painters_064.jpg

Wet Painters, 222 points

(15 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, spongebobviewer)

"It's a slow day at The Krusty Krab," and SpongeBob and Patrick are tearing the place down, because Squidward tricked them into thinking it would attract customers. Mr. Krabs found this out, and sentenced the two to do a super, special, secret assignment (which is just painting the whole house, they both think it's real super, special, and secret). But Mr. Krabs tells them that the paint they're using is permanent. So if they get paint, even a drop, on anything except the wall, he will cut off their butts and place them above his fireplace. SpongeBob sees that Mr. Krabs has so many items, and tells Patrick he decides to move the items first. Patrick says that there's no need to move the items because they are not paid to move items.

Then they place a tarp, but it is just a small tarp, so they put down more tarps. SpongeBob takes out a huge brush, but decides to use a tiny brush. SpongeBob takes it out, and then, six hours later, carefully paints a drop onto the wall, which begins dropping. SpongeBob (in panic that it may get onto Mr. Krabs' First Dollar) blows on it to change direction, and blow dries it off the wall, only to have created a giant paint bubble. Patrick blows another bubble shortly after, and the two merge. SpongeBob assures that the bubble can't get any bigger, but Patrick says "Nonsense!" and inflates the bubble, causing it to pop, covering Mr. Krabs' whole house in paint, without getting a drop on anything...except on Mr. Krabs' first dollar (the drop is able to see from the eye)!

SpongeBob tries wiping the hand stain off with his tie, but it only makes the dollar covered in paint. Then they try a couple more things to get it off, including washing it in a washing machine, spraying it, using a saw, beating it up with a club and using a computer (which Patrick just uses to smash it), but all fail. Then they decide to put another dollar on the wall. Patrick takes out a dollar from his wallet, but Patrick uses it to buy a candy bar instead. SpongeBob looks into a mirror, assuring that he shall overcome panic through strength...just as Mr. Krabs approaches his door, thus making SpongeBob's reflection leave him on his own. SpongeBob panics, but comes up with an idea to hide the stained dollar.

Mr. Krabs opens the door to his house to find the lights turned off. He turns them on and sees his house is tidy, no bubbles. SpongeBob and Patrick are about to leave, but Mr. Krabs panics, and they think Mr. Krabs finds about the stained dollar. They apologize, but Mr. Krabs is just surprised that they dusted his knickknacks. He panics again, SpongeBob and Patrick apologize again, but he is surprised about the painted floor molding. He panics again because he finds out that they messed up with his dollar...rama. One of his dolls in the doll collection is not upright. He says that they can go home now, but then runs into a pile of paintings where his dollar usually went and moves away each one to find SpongeBob covering the dollar.

Mr. Krabs soon takes him out of the way to find his first dollar stained and drawn by crayon (Patrick thinks Mr. Krabs will buy it). SpongeBob and Patrick are afraid to have their rear ends cut off, but he licks the dollar, and the paint (and including crayon marking) comes off of the dollar. The two are confused but SpongeBob finds out that Mr. Krabs says that the paint was permanent so they would be extra careful, but Mr. Krabs said he tricked them just for fun. Shortly after, he laughs at his own jest, causing SpongeBob and Patrick to leave in disgust. But Mr. Krabs' laughter causes spit to come from his mouth and onto the paint, and realizes that he has caused the whole coat of paint to drop, assuring that he needs to learn how to "say it, not spray it."

spongebobviewer: This episode fought off many challengers as it ended up as #2 on my list. This episode has several things going for it. The amazing visuals, sound of the episode and the dichotomy of Patrick versus Spongebob in this episode. Of course the gags also come into play as this is the funniest in terms of number of jokes and qualities. Starting at one minute in, the episode doesn't have a single dull moment. 

Now lets talk about the visuals here. You have the Great faces in the beginning where Krabs is talking about how important this is and the classic shrunken faces of Spongebob and Patrick. Then you have the part where Krabs tells them about their assignment is painting. He reveals said job by opening his house up and showing a friendly claw inside. He then jumps in and warns them about the paint being "absolutely permanent" and that he'll mount there rear ends on a fireplace all while his voice gets gravelly and he starts to walk menacingly at them. Also the paint is shown to be extremely volatile as one drop drags down, bouncy, and inflateable oddly enough. Spongebob's reactions are gold as he gives many faces where he is full of fear. 

The music is also great as we have the background instrumental play right into how much Spongebob is worried. It gives you suspense that we know is silly but it moves the whole thing along right with the jokes and pressure filled situation of the scenario. There's the scene where spongebob starts to paint and the tempo speeds up as spongebob prepares. There's also the constant slow rising violin that plays frequently and it's cresendo makes it seem like they are getting closer and closer to Mr. Krabs putting them in a world of pain. Finally upon Mr. Krabs revealling that he was just being a jerk for no reason, the play a lighthearted tune as krabs ruins all of the progress of the walls, that mocks him in a way. In the wise words of Patrick Star, " Easy come, Easy go".

Spongebob at heart is a bit of a perfectionist and the extra pressure of losing his rear end to a fireplace makes him really panicky in a hilariously frenetic kind of manner. He freaks out when he sees  Patrick unnecessarily raising the stakes thorughout most of the episode. In fact one could argue that this episode is a well disguised Spongebob Vs. Patrick set up as he plays a foil to Spongebob's perfectionist tendencies with Chaotic Idiocy. He shuts down spongebobs smart solution of taking off items from the wall and goes into a diatribe about refusing to be paid. He attempts to open a paint can with an axe. Then see him blow a large paint bubble and when they combine he increases it 's size further. He even boos Spongebob's attempts to hide the dollar from being seen. 

The gags that hit are hilarious and constant and they are set up very well so they get you know matter how many times you have seen the episode. I tried using trophy's methods of counting Jokes in this episode and I came up with 48 which is a heckuva lot for something that last only 11 minutes and five seconds. My favorite three jokes are these three which all could be number 1 if they were in other episodes. 

- The Patrick trying to buy candy from the machine as Spongebob wants him to switch the dollar on the wall with Patrick's dollar. Patrick brings the idea up and then forgets whats happening immediately and his mind goes from a deep thought out plan to immediately gratifying his gullet. 

- The multiple Mr. Krabs Fake-outs, they are so over the top that you expec tit to be real and it's just him talking about other things that dont have anything to do with it. The last one with the doll-o-rama thing is expertly done and no matter how many times I've seen it, it still gets me for a second. 

- Krabs discovers the dollar and asks " ...and then did you draw on it with Crayon". Patrick's innocence at his the futility of his first counterfeit scheme and how he's holding the crayon and says " I thought, you know, maybe he'd buy it." That was hilarious. 

Conclusion: Only one episode was good enough to top this one and this is a great one to introduce to someone who wants to begin watching Spongebob although since continuity doesnt matter it's not like they need to go in order. I'm sidetracking myself, the point is that this has a great combination of Humor, Visuals, Music and character development. 

a_YZKTs_L.jpg

Steel: This episode is very solid enough to be at #8 on my own list and to be this high. As usual, my high point for this episode was the jokes and they make it memorable in any way. The episode is about Spongebob and Patrick having to paint the walls in Mr. Krab's house, now twist that around where almost everything is on Mr. Krabs' walls and notice how the writers deliver and progress the plot with any joke they throw in. Most of the jokes came from Patrick, and I got to say, his stupidity here is pretty funny, like the way he just torments Spongebob by wasting his own dollar and making a larger paint bubble, and of course the "we have technology!" line is probably never going to get old for me. What also does the episode good for me was the fake-out gags where Spongebob and Patrick think Mr. Krabs already noticed what happened to his first dollar. Mr. Krabs himself was an enjoyable jerk and gets some amusing karma at the very end, considering when he admits the point of Spongebob and Patrick's job was that Mr. K just likes to mess with them. Other than that, he was was pretty funny too, aside from the aforementioned gag, I also like how he sounds so modest after he gets intimidating towards Spongebob and Patrick, it's like: that's what he does to mess with them - and it's pretty amusing.

Halibut: Wet Painters is one of those near-perfect episodes. Every character bounces off of each other absolutely perfectly. I almost can't say anything because I feel everything will be redundant, man. Like I said, the characters are spot-on in every single way whatsoever. SpongeBob is acting innocent and anxious to not disappointed people, Patrick is stupid in a non-malicious, fun way, Mr. Krabs acts like a good role model despite not exactly knowing what he's doing at times, and even Squidward's tiny tiny cameo seems great, too. Of course he'd trick SpongeBob and Patrick into hurting themselves, that's just him. Plus, the episode is hilarious. This is one of those episodes that you forget about the show being for kids and just laugh regardless.

Wumbo: Great gagfest with a nonstop parade of jokes and funny moments. What makes this episode work is the stakes it holds, and by having SpongeBob and Patrick worry so much about what Mr. Krabs will do to them is where the comedy comes from. Honestly, I'd like to add more, but what more can I say that hasn't already been said above me? Perfect episode for a nonstop avalanche of laughs.

• Like 8

SO. MUCH. HUMOR! I swear the next time I watch this episode I'll be rolling on the floor pissing from laughing at this!

I would like to say something that isn't from a YouTube or Tumblr comment but what's been said above is what needs to be said. It's just really hilarious when a cartoon can take such a drab premise like setting up the chairs in Regular Show or literally watching paint dry, like here, they can still crack up as much absurdity as they like.

Don't get me wrong and all I love this episode and everything, but number 5? Have I always missed this being considered in even the top 10 for best lists all time? I guess I really need to re-consider this one as well for whenever we next do it, but so far if people seem to love it especially for "humor", I have Imitation Krabs to rely on that for. :P

- The best part about the episode is the incredible amount of suspense over something so small and (supposedly) unimportant. 

- Giving Patrick a suspenseful crisis to try and solve will produce comedic brilliance and get the best out of the character.

- The ending is a little bit of a Deus ex Machina, but I'll give it a pass cause it's still comprehensible (and hilarious).

- The first act of the episode (with Squidward) was amusing, but doesn't really do much from a storytelling perspective.

Overall: 8/10. Phenomenal comedy.

• Like 1

OneFluttershyAway, you perfectly explained why this episode is so damn perfect. It's one of my favorite episodes as well. However, I didn't put it on my list because it didn't have a good replay value IMO. After seeing this episode so many times, the jokes doesn't make me laugh as much as It used to anymore (except Patrick and Squidward interaction, which is still funny after seeing it many times). I can see why this episode is high on the list but it wasn't as funny as I used to find anymore. I dunno, I just think most of pre-movie stuff got pretty old but this is the one that got old more quickly than most of pre-movie episodes.

• Like 1

4. "Very nice, Mr. SquarePants! Not a pickle out of place!"

Advanced_patty_control_mechanism.jpg

Krusty Krab Training Video, 228 points

(11 of 26 lists. 3 #1 votes - Fluttershy/JCM/Sir Rockman)

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This.

I love this episode so much I can't even describe it at all.

- The creative and different style gives this episode a replay value of over 9000.

- It's hilarious. It just is. The rate of meta-humour in this episode is sensational.

Nothing much to say really. It's just stylistic and hilarious. 9/10.

I like KKTV and all and I clearly see the points everyone make, heck it almost made my list and I just don't see it being top 5 quality like everyone else does. Then again 2 of my top 5 would make people ask me nonstop why so I'm not complaining, all I question is how this gets higher than Graveyard Shift... :|

• Like 1