• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

21: After WYW I can expect anything, I actually don't have this near my top 50, then again I have a ton of 10/10 episodes and I honestly haven't seen many repeats of this so I sorta forgot about it. :P

20. "I never thought I'd say this, but SpongeBob, let's get that poop!"

Spongebob_Mr_Krabs_Tied_Up_Squidward.jpg

Krab Borg, 100 points

(7 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, Fluttershy/katniss/spongebobviewer)

SpongeBob watches a scary movie titled "Night of the Robot," in which robots take over the world at night with Gary, and is terrified despite telling Gary that scary movies don't freak him out. He begins fearing a robot invasion, even asking Gary if he is a robot, and has a nightmare where robots are taking over the world and are chasing him. 

The next day at work, he is very paranoid, and is under the impression that robots are "everywhere" (one turning out to actually be a trolley full of sea potatoes, and another a red light that was actually the warning light for the fat). He later sees Mr. Krabs "speaking" in a robot language (actually humming to a song called "Electric Zoo" on the radio and arguing to find the tune to the song) and wearing batteries in his pocket (his radio broke and he was planning give the batteries to Pearl for her Christmas present), and suspects that he is a robot imposter. SpongeBob calls Mr. Krabs to show Squidward he is a robot. First, he tries to test his sense of humor, so Squidward tells a joke to Mr. Krabs but he does not laugh but tells Squidward that he is not paying him and SpongeBob to do stand-up comedy and leaves.

A moment later, SpongeBob calls him again and tells him Squidward's father never hugged him. Mr. Krabs thinks it is a little sad but says Squidward can hug himself during his break and leaves, failing the crying test. SpongeBob calls Mr. Krabs again and says that Squidward loves him, but Mr. Krabs tells Squidward to get back to work, failing the love test.

SpongeBob and Squidward then see Mr. Krabs with metal pincers (tongs he was holding an egg with) and glowing red eyes (he accidentally threw salt into his eyes while trying to salt the egg after calling for him and surprising him), which "confirms" SpongeBob's suspicions. Squidward announces over the microphone that robots are taking over the world, causing the customers to flee the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob tries to call the Navy, but, due to their automated phone service, thinks the robots have already taken it over. Mr. Krabs is relieved that his eyes aren't hurting anymore and walks back to his office without realizing that there aren't any customers in the Krusty Krab. Squidward then asks what the people did in the movie. SpongeBob says that they got poop or collected information from the robot after learning how to torture, and the two collect some tools for the investigation.

After collecting enough tools, SpongeBob and Squidward go into Mr. Krabs' office, send Mr. Krabs into a panic, and then tie Mr. Krabs up, accusing him of being a robot and interrogating him on the location of the "real" Mr. Krabs. When he gives them no answers and becomes annoyed and angered (which would've alerted the Bikini Bottom police, no offence), they still think he is a robot and begin interrogating his machines, which include a blender, a toaster, a food processor, and a coffee maker.

After they destroy them, this greatly upsets Mr. Krabs, as the machines cost him money. When they come to the cash register, Mr. Krabs cries for it, which robots are incapable of doing, revealing that he is not a robot. He also mentions laughing with it and loving it. Squidward then asks SpongeBob how the movie ended. SpongeBob reveals the end of the movie, in which the robots were all in the main character's imagination. Realizing his mistake, SpongeBob quickly runs off, declaring it's time to feed Gary, leaving Squidward to take the heat from a very angry Mr. Krabs growling and then yelling "Squidward!" while it shows the front of the Krusty Krab shaking, due to Mr. Krabs shouting at the top of his lungs.

katniss: You know those TV shows that offer up intriguing plots yet underwhelm when it comes to execution? Well, that's not the case with Krab Borg. The premise of SpongeBob thinking Mr. Krabs is a robot manages to succeed when it comes to bringing laughs. SpongeBob and Squidward were great in this episode. I like their dynamic and I love how Squidward becomes convinced that Krabs is a robot and gets carried away with his antics. The interrogation scene in particular is one of my favorite moments of the show. So yeah, this is a really solid season 3 episode and I'm glad it made the list.

spongebobviewer: This episode ended up at #5 on my list. It starts off simple with Spongebob watching a scary movie before bed and turns into what is known as a hostile takeover in the business world. 

This episode has a lot of laughs throughout, starting with the movie scene where a robot is chasing a man and it's obvious both are running in place. Then Spongebob goes to work and starts seeing and hearing things. He yells " I surrender " when the fry alarm goes off. Then we get into the funniest part of the story where Mr. Krabs and a radio leads Spongebob to find confirmation in his delusions. The timing, the voice acting, angles and everything are perfect. There's also a running gag where spongebob's eyes go small and he says " A Robot... ". The interrogation scenes where Spongebob and squidward slap Mr. Krabs is quite funny. The " Robots have taken over the navy" line is probably the funniest joke In my opinion. There might be some episodes that have really funny jokes but this one while still having funny jokes is really consistent and there's not a lot of time you are not laughing. 

What I recognized upon re-watch was how good the background music is in this episode. It's constantly playing and the contrast between the absurdity of Spongebob and the suspense of the music is great. The constant playing also gives this episode a constant tempo and smooth feel. It's used in a way that enhances its humor quite a bit. If you haven't seen this lately focus on the music because it fits like a glove.

Wumbo: I'm a little surprised to see this one up quite so high, but nevertheless this is a great episode that I considered for my own list. "Krab Borg" is an episode that has SpongeBob at his most paranoid and impressionable. It's always great to see some of his more negative traits, as they do help to round out his character. I gotta say, it was also nice to see SpongeBob and Squidward working as a team, even if the goal was misguided. So many great lines come up when they pair up. Squidward's "not the NAVY!" line still gets me to this day. And of course, the interrogation scene is gold. Actually, the buildup to SpongeBob's suspicions is really nice too. It's written really smartly, in a convoluted way but not so much so that you feel like you're being played. The episode works on so many different fronts, and it definitely deserves to make the list.

• Like 8

Note: I'm going to start sending out requests for #10 commentary after this one. Couple of things here: First, this is where I start upping it to three guest commentators, so I definitely need everyone to be on the ball and vigilant! Second, I will be posting the episodes from 10 on once a day to screw with you all to differentiate between the rest of the episodes. Get it? Got it? Good!

19. "There is no ice! There's never been any ice! Ice is just a myth!"

044a_-_Nasty_Patty_559.jpg

Nasty Patty, 111 points

(9 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, OMLJ)

At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is cooking and Mr. Krabs is having a "money bath," a health inspector arrives for a surprise inspection. He tells SpongeBob to get him everything on the menu, which he does. After a few dishes, he orders one ordinary Krabby Patty before he can pass judgment.

Meanwhile, a television report reveals that someone is passing himself off as a health inspector to obtain free food. Outraged at the thought of giving free food, Mr. Krabs believes that the health inspector that is on their premises is the impostor, and thus he and SpongeBob make a "Nasty Patty," a Krabby Patty that has been made with Volcano Hot Sauce, seahorse radish, toenail clippings, then dropped into the toilet and dried with Mr. Krabs' gym socks.

Just before the health inspector eats it, a fly goes into his mouth, chokes him, and knocks him out. As SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs enjoy watching him suffer from the kitchen thinking he already ate it, another TV report comes on that reveals that he was not the impostor. They believe that their patty killed the health inspector, and begin to panic. They keep giving each other the blame, and ultimately decide to take the body and bury it.

SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, and the "dead" body of the inspector go up the hill, SpongeBob humorously disgusted with the body, and repeatedly spraying himself and the body with disinfectant and dragging it with a tissue. Mr. Krabs orders SpongeBob to dig a hole to bury the body in, and after hitting a rock, SpongeBob throws it out of the way—and on to the health inspector's head, who was just waking up, knocking him back into unconsciousness. The police then suddenly arrive, offering to take them back to the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob is too shocked for words, and becomes extremely nervous. The rain causes the mud on the hill to erode, exposing the body of the health inspector. SpongeBob puts it in the trunk of the car. By this point, SpongeBob has humorously become maniacal with his nervousness, and slides in the car without any motion. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs discuss the plan on what to do with the body, and nearly reveals it to the officers, only to be quickly stopped and saved by Mr. Krabs. By this point, the suspicion is raised between the police and SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs.

SpongeBob is in charge of taking the body and the shovel and stowing it into the freezer. However the back door is locked, leaving SpongeBob to carry on his most difficult task: he marches through the front door—with the body stuffed hilariously into his hat, making him lose his balance as he struggles to walk over to the door to the kitchen freezer. The officers question Krabs about SpongeBob's strange behavior, only for him to attempt to stall them and bribe them with money. The officers are then called through their walkie talkies and receive a report about two people burying a body on the hill—obviously SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs with the inspector. But as they are about to leave, the officer wants a soda, which Mr. Krabs quickly hands over. But then the officer wants ice as well, and Mr. Krabs grows really nervous—which only makes the officer nearly march into the freezer. But Mr. Krabs, nervous beyond definition, barricades the door and barrels excuses about the ice. The police simply shoves him aside and is about to get the ice herself, when they confess their crimes. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs throw blackmails and blame on each other, and when they reveal that the body is supposedly in the freezer, she opens the door, and there is nothing there. She thinks it's a joke, and closes the door. She jokingly suggests that he became a zombie and walked out, and the health inspector suddenly appears behind them. The police begin savagely beating him, believing him to truly be a zombie, and after they figure out that he is, in fact, alive, the health inspector shows Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob the review sheet, which reveals that the Krusty Krab passed the test earlier that morning. At the end, the Narrator is revealed to have been telling the entire story, remarking that "they are all idiots, aren't they?" After saying that, it fades to black.

spongebobviewer: Whenever Spongebob does an episode based on a seven deadly sin topic, you know there's gonna be absurdity to balance it out. This one is really dark. Spongebob and Krabs try to poison a man and when he " dies they try to cover the whole thing up". This episodes is probably my favorite Krabs+Spongebob episode. 

Krabs is unlikeable in a humorous way here. Besides jumping to conclusions, deciding to poison a freeloader, offer to fire SB if he told the cops, bury a body, bribe the cops and blame Spongebob all at the end. But it's done in a hilarious way that doesn't make krabs a villain. 

Spongebob is also great in here. First when Krabs tells him to sweet-talk the inspector, he calls him " handsome, darling and voluptuous ( means curvy ). Then once they think they killed him he becomes a nervous wreck which leads to him saying a brilliant line. 

" I'll never survive in prison, they'll mop the floor with me. " I've watched this episode at least 20 times in my life and I never picked that up. That's Low-key genius. 

This episode also has a funny vocabulary as they say a lot of funny words and even the voice acting especially once they think they're murderers is done very well. Loony Luffa, duped, bamboozled and smeckledorfed ( which ain't even a word ) are used in a really rapid fire amount of time ) 

This episode ramps up it's humor right until the very end of it's frenetic pace. It's full of quick hits and like " Krab Borg " it's consistent with the difference being the jokes are a bit funnier. 

Anyways from the scene where the cops pick up Krabs and Spongebob to the end is the funniest part. The two parts that stick out to me is the scene where Krabs tells Spongebob " Take the shovel ( wink ) and stuff... I mean stow it in the freezer. " Spongebob unaware to Krabs slickness asks about the body but krabs hushes him up and yells bottles of soda. It's just so random sounding and all. Then you've got the ending where after krabs launches a tirade against the evils of ice, he breaks first and rats on Spongebob. I like the dynamic between Krabs trying to be slick even though he's really worried and Spongebob constantly on the edge of slipping but krabs is the one who cracks. 

He calls him a mad dog and said he would have killed him if not for the cops. Then health inspector revives for the 3rd time and passes them after being mistaken for a zombie. This episode is an elite one in my opinion glad it made top 20.

JCM: As I said in my fave 50, this is a dark episode, but it manages to be dark while still being funny, which is probably the most impressive thing about it. Dark humor is hard to do well, especially on a kids' show, which is why shows like Invader Zim which rely on it episode after episode are the exception and not the rule. SpongeBob is generally as lighthearted as most children's cartoons, but Nasty Patty took it in a different direction for 11 minutes, one of the biggest risks in a season full of 'em, and it paid off extraordinarily. I didn't understand much of what happened in the episode when I was a kid, and this is certainly an episode teens and young adults will appreciate more than the show's younger audience. SpongeBob's willingness to do mature episodes like this in the early years is one of the reasons it became such a massive success, and it's a shame you don't see these types of episodes as much today.

Wumbo: I'll be the first to admit that this one took a while to grow on me. But now that I'm older and can appreciate the dark atmosphere more, I have to say, I am blown away by how well it turned out. It took on a dark tone for especially dark subject matter, but still ends up feeling like SpongeBob because of some great character work. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob haven't abandoned their characters to adopt any sort of tropes, they're simply the same core characters in a new situation. This episode definitely has some of the best Krabs/SpongeBob interaction, short of maybe "Krabby Land", and I'm glad I can finally appreciate this episode now, because it's an episode worth appreciatin'.

• Like 6

20: my 19... one off :P This episode's humor was spot on, plus IDK why but the WHAT YOU THINK I'M A ROBOT SCENE kills me, especially SB just dropping to the floor probably having flashbacks to the movie :P

19: Yeah this is my 12 from earlier, good thing it wasn't lower now. :P

#20 - Ah, this episode. Another great episode which I remember for its style of humor... I also remember it for Mr. Krabs's line of "GRRRR, SQUIIIIIDWAAARRRRD!"

#19 - I don't care how dark the episode's premise is, this episode is another great episode.

20. Holy crap why do I forget so many episodes...I remember loving this one ever since the first time I saw it and yet I still forgot to put it on my list.

19. But this one made #16 on my list. Perfectly demonstrates how to handle darker humor.

Just for fun, here's my top 25 so far, with only the episodes that have already been shown on here. The position the episode was in on this topic is in parentheses :P

25. ---

24. SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#23)

23. Nasty Patty (#19)

22. ---

21. Squidville (#36)

20. ---

19. The Algae's Always Greener (#29)

18. ---

17. ---

16. SB-129 (#28)

15. ---

14. Krab-Borg (#20)

13. ---

12. ---

11. Squid On Strike (#46)

10. Dunces and Dragons (#40)

9. ---

8. ---

7. ---

6. Missing Identity (#43)

5. Just One Bite (#44)

4. ---

3. ---

2. ---

1. Squid's Day Off (#32)

• Like 1

18. "This kitchen's not the same without you, it's just a greasy spoon... without you."

Mr_Krabs_in_Welcome_to_the_Chum_Bucket_2

Welcome to the Chum Bucket, 112 points

(7 of 26 lists. 1 #1 vote - Trophy)

It is closing time at the Krusty Krab, and Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that he's going to play a card game against Plankton. SpongeBob is shocked at this. Mr. Krabs explains that Plankton is the worst card player in Bikini Bottom, and he's been winning every week for the last 15 years. In the morning, he tells SpongeBob that he lost, and Mr. Krabs bet SpongeBob's contract. SpongeBob is then taken to the Chum Bucket and forced to work for Plankton, who commands him to make a Krabby Patty, threatening to remove SpongeBob's brain and put it in a robot if he refuses to do what he's told. However, SpongeBob is unable to work in the Chum Bucket's cold, laboratory-like kitchen and Karen suggests Plankton to show SpongeBob compassion and understanding so that he'll obey him. Plankton goes to great lengths to accommodate SpongeBob's working conditions, eventually converting the Chum Bucket kitchen into an exact replica of the Krusty Krab kitchen. However, SpongeBob is still not satisfied, and demands even more of Plankton, acting like a spoiled brat.

Eventually, Plankton takes out SpongeBob's brain and implants it in the robot as a punishment but the robot turns out to be a total failure at all. The robot refuses to make a Krabby Patty, so Plankton restores SpongeBob back to normal and gives him back to Mr. Krabs, saying that he can't stand him and admitting that cheated in the card game. Mr. Krabs welcomes him back and encourages SpongeBob to return to work. However, SpongeBob still does not want to make a Krabby Patty, but when Mr. Krabs starts becoming angry, he quickly goes back to work.

jjs: This made my #7 for many reasons, but it is what I consider to be SpongeBob's first emotional episode, and it works really well. You feel bad for both SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs throughout, and even ignoring that, Plankton's attempts to get SpongeBob to make a Krabby Patty are hilarious. Overall, a great story altogether. 

SB_DW_Fan: When I was a kid, I really felt sad watching this episode and I still do because it felt like i was in prison (no joke), while I was watching it. It's really sad to see SpongeBob working at something that he doesn't want to. This is also one of those times that Mr. Krabs did something wrong but he regretted so much because he lost an employee that he sees as his own son. This is probably SpongeBob/Mr. Krabs dynamic at best and I don't say this it's because of the song (the song is still really amazingly sad, don't worry), I say this because Mr. Krabs regrets his actions and he really feels sad that SpongeBob works at Chum Bucket and SpongeBob feels the same way too. After thinking of more season 2 episodes like this, I can see why people prefer season 2 over season 3 these days because a lot episodes in this season have really great character studies as well as really wacky humor. Did I mention how amazing the humor was in this episode? Even though I appericiate this episode for being so emitional, no SpongeBob episode is complete without humor. There are so many amazing gags like the running gag with SpongeBob annoying the hell out of Plankton. Overall, this was a perfect mix of heart and comedy.

Wumbo: Okay, I take it back. THIS is the best Krabs/SpongeBob interaction the show has ever given us. DUH. As we reach another episode on my list, we see probably one of the most emotional Krabs episodes we have ever seen. And yes, this is a Krabs episode because he's the one who kickstarts the plot and he has a lot of emotional investment in the story. Man, the tears really do come out during this one. You really feel for SpongeBob, feeling alone and trapped working at the Chum Bucket, as well as Krabs, with probably some of his best character exploration the show has ever had, showing him as deeply regretful for his actions, not only because he lost a great fry cook, but also a friend.

Oh, and did I mention this episode is FUNNY AS HELL? Once you get past the "Grill" song, Plankton kickstarts the core humour of the episode with his "show tunes" line, honestly just the perfect thing that could have come after that moment in a show like SpongeBob. After this, you essentially have yet another of Plankton's plans fail, as he spoils SpongeBob to the point of laziness, even tainting the robot SpongeBob with his brain. It's a great ride into Plankton's slowly deteriorating scheme.

This episode is a masterpiece, and I could watch it over and over. In fact, I just watched the "Grill is Not a Home" song before doing this commentary, because why wouldn't I? It's a prime example of what made SpongeBob work so well.

• Like 7

This Grill is Not a Home goes down as one of my favorite SB songs. It didn't make my list but I'll mark it down as an honorable mention because the episode is pretty nice. I haven't watched it in ages, though.

• Like 1

Yes this is my one, it beats out literally one of the biggest gagfests ever. Sure this episode has some of it's own like SpongeBob becoming a spoiled brat, and Plankton being the worst card player ever out there, but it's really the emotion that seals the deal for me, plus it also has the best song ever out there so that helps too. Glad to see this make it so high.

• Like 2