• Advertisement

DuckTales Reboot Coming to Disney XD in 2017

Ash Ketchum

Source 

Life is still like a hurricane over in Duckburg: Disney has announced that an all-new version of the classic animated comedy series, “DuckTales” (woo-ooh!), has been ordered for launch in 2017 on Disney XD channels around the world. The original “DuckTales” (woo-ooh!), which was produced from 1987-1990, followed the adventures of the literally-swimming-in-cash tycoon Scrooge McDuck, his mischievous grandnephews Huey, Dewey and Louie, and Donald Duck. A feature film, “DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp,” was released in 1990.

“‘DuckTales’ has a special place in Disney’s TV animation history,” says Marc Buhaj, Senior Vice President, Programming and General Manager, Disney XD, who announced the series’ reboot. “It drew its inspiration from Disney Legend Carl Barks’ comic books and through its storytelling and artistic showmanship, set an enduring standard for animated entertainment that connects with both kids and adults.  Our new series will bring that same energy and adventurous spirit to a new generation.”

In addition to main characters Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, Louie and Donald, there will be several familiar beaks returning to the “DuckTales” fold: Duckworth, Gyro Gearloose, Launchpad McQuack, Flintheart Glomgold, Magica DeSpell & Poe, Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys (Burger Beagle, Bouncer Beagle), Mrs. Beakley and Webbigail “Webby” Vanderquack.

Since we must bide our time for two years until the new “DuckTales” episodes are ready, feel free to catch up on/binge-watch the original “DuckTales,” currently available on WATCH Disney Channel, an app that allows consumers to watch on tablet, phones, computer and set top boxes.

Or, you could check out this music video featuring “DuckTales” theme song – and a re-creation of the show’s opening sequence with real ducks. The clip has amassed over six million views since September 2014 on the YouTube channel Oh My Disney.

Yep, this is happening.

This might seem hard to believe, but as of February 26, 2015, the original voice of Scrooge McDuck, Alan Young (who also voiced Haggis McHaggis on "Ren and Stimpy,") born in 1919, is actually STILL alive! If Alan Young manages to hang on and is chosen to play Scrooge McDuck in the re-boot series, that would make him one of the world's oldest living, WORKING actors!

This might seem hard to believe, but as of February 26, 2015, the original voice of Scrooge McDuck, Alan Young (who also voiced Haggis McHaggis on "Ren and Stimpy,") born in 1919, is actually STILL alive! If Alan Young manages to hang on and is chosen to play Scrooge McDuck in the re-boot series, that would make him one of the world's oldest living, WORKING actors!

I'd say yes, but he's way too old to be a regular on a show. I think having him voice a one-off side character would be better, so they wouldn't have to deal with what happens after he dies (and since it'd be a one-off they wouldn't have to figure out what to do with the character afterward, like how Mermaid Man has sort of been in limbo ever since Ernest Borgnine died). It's different for June Foray (who, for the record, is 97) since Rocky and Bullwinkle aren't airing new episodes or getting rebooted so she can keep doing Rocky in one-off things (like the short last year that played ahead of Mr. Peabody and Sherman), but getting Young to do a regular voice would be risky business. I suppose they could just get someone to replace him like they did with Iroh when Mako passed away in between seasons 2 and 3 of Avatar, but I don't think it'd work out quite as well with this since they didn't really focus on Iroh too much in season 3 (if I'm remembering season 3 correctly) and you can't really do that with the main character of a show.

• Like 1

I'd say yes, but he's way too old to be a regular on a show. I think having him voice a one-off side character would be better, so they wouldn't have to deal with what happens after he dies (and since it'd be a one-off they wouldn't have to figure out what to do with the character afterward, like how Mermaid Man has sort of been in limbo ever since Ernest Borgnine died). It's different for June Foray (who, for the record, is 97) since Rocky and Bullwinkle aren't airing new episodes or getting rebooted so she can keep doing Rocky in one-off things (like the short last year that played ahead of Mr. Peabody and Sherman), but getting Young to do a regular voice would be risky business. I suppose they could just get someone to replace him like they did with Iroh when Mako passed away in between seasons 2 and 3 of Avatar, but I don't think it'd work out quite as well with this since they didn't really focus on Iroh too much in season 3 (if I'm remembering season 3 correctly) and you can't really do that with the main character of a show.

True. I guess the next best thing they could do (if Alan Young and June Foray both can stick around that long) is have them both voice the ANCESTORS of the characters they USED to voice in flashback form. So in case they bite it, the loss won't be as bad.

I wasn't sure how to react until I realized something funny. Seeing how Disney Channel is apparently trying to become Disney Sitcoms: The Channel and looking back on a DuckTales reboot being made for Disney XD, and seeing all of its other animated programming they're broadcasting, it feels almost as if Disney XD is slowing turning back into Toon Disney when XD started out as a channel mainly to cater to the boys demographic.

http://dafradio.net/2015/03/24/is-the-ducktales-cast-returning/

Some sad news for fans of the original 1987 DuckTales. It seems that original Launchpad voice actor Terry McGovern commented on his Facebook profiles that Disney is casting a brand new cast for the up-coming DuckTales reboot. It is unknown as of right now how far the casting process is or who will be cast into the new roles, but it would seem that not a single member of the original cast will be returning, thus making 2011’s DuckTales: Remastered probably the last time the surviving members of the original cast will be heard together.

This is sad to hear about, but it won't lower my expectations. The TMNT reboot had different voice actors as well.

Well, personally, I hated that series, but for a different reason. :P

http://dafradio.net/2015/03/24/is-the-ducktales-cast-returning/

This is sad to hear about, but it won't lower my expectations. The TMNT reboot had different voice actors as well.

Well, personally, I hated that series, but for a different reason. :P

Are you referring to the 2012 series?