• Advertisement

The Fairly OddParents

storytime7

27 minutes ago, Sailor Man said:

What the hell's a Chloe? This show's far gone now.

My assumption is that Nick decided that they needed to add another character to the show. From what I've heard, Timmy has to now share his fairies with this girl who just moved in. And of course, he has a crush on her. :/

3 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

My assumption is that Nick decided that they needed to add another character to the show. From what I've heard, Timmy has to now share his fairies with this girl who just moved in. And of course, he has a crush on her. :/

Isn't that tootie too? They're recycling old character types and passing them off as new. :(

• Like 2

Except Chloe isn't like Tootie at all. Chloe is impossibly talented in a variety of many areas, is incredibly nice, she's wedged into the main cast and is immediately accepted, everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) loves her, and she's described as perfect. Yup, I still stand by when I say that Chloe is a blatant Mary-Sue.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I watched that new Fairly OddParents about a couple hours ago...

Honestly, it could've been worse, but I do think the episode was mediocre. Before I insert my two cents on the episode called "The Big Fairy Share Scare," I'm joining in on the usual, "Fairly OddParents should've been cancelled" convo, and it's from my point of view that it's best said the show is going absolutely nowhere. There's no direction. The show does whatever it wants. It's kinda safe to say that new episodes are being written up for the sake of it. The last time I've watched a new episode of the Fairly OddParents, it feels like there are little means of passion in what's being written. And I could say the same for this episode.

Anyways, what do I think of Chloe? Considering that I know people have already taken their frustrations out on a new character in a similar vein to Poof and Sparky, I'm confused of how I'm supposed to feel about her. I see her as a blatant Mary Sue, but I feel like I should be convinced that some of her Sue-ish traits are intentional. However, I'd be convinced that it's unintentional if Chloe's character shows no means of development aside from the climax of the episode where she admits having a few flaws, i.e. making mistakes like Timmy when making wishes. To be fair, I'll also admit Chloe isn't a boring character as far as I've come to be introduced to her. She has a personality, at least. She's smart, kind-hearted, and can act crazy at times. But still, if Chloe is said to have no friends, then what's the point if Cosmo, Wanda, Mr. Crocker, Timmy's parents and classmates like her so much? If she is miserable for making mistakes based on trying to be good, then why she is so happy all the time? If she's not supposed to be little miss perfect, then why is she so smart, talented, and sickeningly sweet?

Outside of Chloe, the episode has some flaws, like some scenes just being forced in, like Cosmo and Wanda losing their wands after some background character pulls out a fire hydrant right in front of them, the Timmy Bot suddenly reappearing for the sake of a joke, Chloe thanking Timmy for his bravery after she gets near a pit after just a few seconds, and Chloe messing one thing up after trying to undo her wish. Then there's the absence of Poof and Sparkly in this episode, it only make me wonder what the writers are planning with these two now. It doesn't make as much sense for Poof to be absent, but for Foop to make an appearance.

And lastly, the new opening.....I ask myself first if I consider the opening official for Season 10. The opening feels like a self-parody of the show's current situation than a serious opening, so I'm also confused about that. Still, whatever it is, it's unpleasant to listen to.

End of review.

Edited by Steel Skeet
  • Like 5

I still wonder why Nick keeps ending the show and then reviving it. I'm pretty sure the show isn't that popular/profitable for Nick, especially with how they keep throwing in gimmick characters to keep it alive. I mean, they've gotta stop at some point. Does Butch Hartman show up at the exec's office threatening to shoot them if they cancel it for good or does it really make a whole lot of money? I personally doubt that.

And the show personally was never exceptional IMO. At it's height it was entertaining, if not decent.

Edited by Teamwork

I just watched a review of the first Season 10 episode and I see what you guys are saying. Chloe isn't like Tootie. They try something a bit different but it sounds like there are a lot of plotholes and things that just don't make sense or are just there for the sake of being there. I don't even like the new intro much. It's way too forced. I might watch the whole thing myself soon.

• Like 1

Well after sitting through this tonight, I can rest assure you that FOP trying to reference pop culture this pathetically with selfies, duck lips, Facetime, app games, etc. is a new low.  That grave keeps sinking lower and lower.  FOP, you're beyond irrelevant if such a thing was possible.

• Like 3

TIMMY'S STILL AN AVERAGE KID

Disregarding that unintentionally hilarious new theme song, that season premiere was god-awful. Even forgetting Chloe and Timmy being a blatant asshole. Horrible writing with inconsistencies, writer's conveniences, and failed attempts at "being hip" at every corner, not funny in the slightest.

How in the world was it a popular opinion at one point to think Spongebob had gone more downhill than this show? Spongebob's decline in quality is as simple of a case as this, less-than-believable characterization and not being as funny as it used to be. But at least Spongebob has shown some signs of improvement over the years. For fuck's sake, at least with Spongebob, there's still a cow to be milked. This show is just fascinating in how it keeps finding ways to get worse even after it threw both any quality standards and any purpose to still be on the air out the window so long ago. Call me back when this is finally over, this is the definite end of the line for me. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Metal Snake said:

TIMMY'S STILL AN AVERAGE KID

Disregarding that unintentionally hilarious new theme song, that season premiere was god-awful. Even forgetting Chloe and Timmy being a blatant asshole. Horrible writing with inconsistencies, writer's conveniences, and failed attempts at "being hip" at every corner, not funny in the slightest.

How in the world was it a popular opinion at one point to think Spongebob had gone more downhill than this show? Spongebob's decline in quality is as simple of a case as this, less-than-believable characterization and not being as funny as it used to be. But at least Spongebob has shown some signs of improvement over the years. For fuck's sake, at least with Spongebob, there's still a cow to be milked. This show is just fascinating in how it keeps finding ways to get worse even after it threw both any quality standards and any purpose to still be on the air out the window so long ago. Call me back when this is finally over, this is the definite end of the line for me. 

Forget even about the second post-movie of SpongeBob. At least SpongeBob doesn't try to shoehorn pop culture references into us. I only know the rap battle in SOOW and chcoclate rain joke in Boating Buddies. Fairly OddParents is so desperate to find clever jokes, they just put modern jokes into it or use repetitive and stupid slapstick

• Like 2

Since I didn't acknowledge the modern/pop culture references, I'd like to say that the show's attempts to use them as sources for jokes in that episode was pretty annoying...but it would a large problem for me if they keep trying to sell it. (I haven't seen "Whittle Me This," but if it did the same thing, then it's already growing into a problem.) If these references are due to Nickelodeon thinking the newer seasons should be catered to the newer fans as badly as they needed for them to, then so be it.

At least SpongeBob doesn't attempt put in new characters every season in an attempt to stay fresh.

But even if Timmy was being an asshole, I actually kinda sided with him in the episode. Maybe it's just my dislike of "Chloe-Sue", but having to suddenly share your magical fairy godparents with an annoying kid (who could probably reveal them to public and make them go away forever like many do) would kinda tick me off. It's different when he willingly loans them for the day, but it was sprung on him and she showed early on that she didn't really need fairy godparents, so I don't really blame him for getting mad.

Also I kinda wonder if Poof and Sparky are gone for good, or if they're planning an episode that will have Chloe-Sue meet them individually. I don't care about Sparky, but why have an episode with Anti-Poof and not include Poof?

I've been having a marathon of the old episodes this weekend and a lot of them really hold up well. I was so wrong to dismiss this show as I grew older, but some of the best episodes from the earlier seasons had a lot of adult jokes in them that I understand even more now and some clever pop culture references thrown in occasionally. I tried watching the season premiere for Season 10 and I just had to turn it off about 5-10 minutes. It was just way too loud, all over the place, nothing made sense, and the duck lips joke was just really unfunny and kinda dated. It makes me appreciate the older stuff even more.

I watched two new Spongebob episodes from Season 9, including "Patrick: The Game" that made me laugh much more than any minute out of that piece of shit FOP ep I tried to watch.

Edited by Sailor Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailor Man said:

I've been having a marathon of the old episodes this weekend and a lot of them really hold up well. I was so wrong to dismiss this show as I grew older, but some of the best episodes from the earlier seasons had a lot of adult jokes in them that I understand even more now and some clever pop culture references thrown in occasionally. I tried watching the season premiere for Season 10 and I just had to turn it off about 5-10 minutes. It was just way too loud, all over the place, nothing made sense, and the duck lips joke was just really unfunny and kinda dated. It makes me appreciate the older stuff even more.

I watched two new Spongebob episodes from Season 9, including "Patrick: The Game" that made me laugh much more than any minute out of that piece of shit FOP ep I tried to watch.

I think what's happening is Nick is realizing none of their newer shows are really taking off, so they're desperately trying to keep FOP as relevant as possible even if it's not working. It's pretty obvious the new characters are being shoehorned in by the execs. I don't think the artists on the show have any legitimate passion for it either. I wonder why Butch is still even working on the show. He should have better things to do.

Edited by Teamwork