Group picture on SpongeCraft during its final days
|Creator||Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick|
Not to be confused with the current server, SpongeCraft Frontiers.
SpongeCraft (retroactively known as SpongeCraft Classic) was an exclusive Minecraft creative server operated by SBC from 2015 to 2019. It originally ran on Minecraft 1.5.2, and concluded to be updated regularly up to version 1.12.2 in July 2017. SpongeCraft ran on the Spot server, and featured the world of SpongeCraftia.
On August 25, 2019, it was announced that SpongeCraft would be discontinued in September 2019, due to various unsolvable technical issues and lack of activity. The map itself was backed-up before its closure and released as an archive. The final tournaments were held on September 13 and 14, 2019. SpongeCraft finally shut down for good on September 19, 2019.
Talks of a possible revival of SpongeCraft began in November 2022, and were later officially confirmed alongside the launch of Seahorse 15 in April 2023. The succeeding server, SpongeCraft Frontiers, is a survival server which opened in July 2023. Due to the launch of Frontiers, in order to avoid confusion between the two, the original SpongeCraft is now officially referred to as SpongeCraft Classic.
- Supported Windows XP and later, Mac OS X 10.5+, and 32/64-bit Linux.
- Home of Team events and tournaments.
- General SpongeCraft events: PVP battles, hide and seek, arena, and last one standing.
- When an event isn't going on, the world of Spongecraftia is open for anyone to build in.
- Custom Minecraft skins were available for Loyal Customers and staff. Originally skins could be purchased in the SpongeCraft Store for 5,000 doubloons, but due to iFish skins no longer working, the item was just removed altogether. A custom Minecraft skin would allow you to change your appearance in-game to anything you'd like.
- Custom in-game name changes are also available in SBC store. Name changes allow you to add text before and after your name, such as "The Great and Powerful sbl."
- You could earn Doubloons from mining in the Doubloon Mine.
February 20th, 2015 - MDPP released the first update to SpongeCraft that had one fix: the game now included the new server. With the new server, the cake line, which previously prohibited SBC members from going too far away from the town and causing lag on the then-Raspberry Pi server, was removed and now supports expansion into the Nether and the End.
June 18th, 2015 - MDPP released a server update that allows any Minecraft username onto the server with a catch: you must register your Minecraft username through SBC before logging in. It does support username changes through Mojang. Around the same time, a forum was added for all SpongeCraft discussions.
July 18th, 2015 - Another update launched to fix a bug people had with logging in.
September 26th, 2015 - To coincide with the release of V11 Starfish, SpongeCraft received a major upgrade. Face developed a new client for SpongeCraft with better integration with mods and automatic updates, as well as providing a cleaner look. crushingmayhem was also added as an operator before he was promoted to Cashier.
October 4th, 2015 - iFish skins are removed due to incompatibility, and the client is upgraded to 1.8.0.
November 21st, 2015 - Face introduced The Sims Expansion, which added a new world where villagers became interactive, talked to you, and could even marry and have babies with you. It has since been unsupported and eventually had to be taken down.
March 9th, 2016 - The client is upgraded to 1.9, which has many new features.
June 23rd, 2016 - The client is upgraded to 1.9.4. A few days later, Loyal Customers have the ability to add fancy effects to their in-game character.
July 7th, 2016 - Face introduced a new mini-game, Hide N Seek.
July 9th, 2016 - MDPP released a new client executable update, which added new features, such as encryption, the client updating itself, portability (being able to stick the executable on removable media and take it somewhere else), and more!
September 10th, 2016 - The client is upgraded to 1.10.2.
November 27th, 2016 - The client is upgraded to 1.11.0, which has many new features, such as spawning llamas. It was added during Customer Appreciation Weekend.
February 18th, 2017 - The client is upgraded to 1.11.2.
July 6th, 2017 - The client is upgraded to 1.12.2 sbl was also added as an operator.
July 9th, 2017 - Face added Vehicles, which added the ability to ride bikes, cars, trains, rafts, submarines, helicopters, planes, brooms, parachutes, and tanks.
September 10th, 2018 - sbl updates the server to 1.13.1, but the SpongeCraft client is still on 1.12.2 as of the same day. Therefore, SC is unplayable to most SBC users at the moment. Due to problems with 1.13.1, the client switches back to 1.12.2, leaving the 1.13 update on the back-burner for now.
May 19th, 2019 - SpongeCraft received a few updates and new features for Sponge 13, including: the Spleef minigame, automatic announcements and tips, new permissions system, chat is now formatted correctly, new way to go to the directory and clear your inventory, facelift for server selection screen, and general optimization.
September 19th, 2019 - SpongeCraft was discontinued.
SpongeCraft operators were users who had administrative power on SpongeCraft. They helped to develop and manage the server, as well as moderate the SpongeCraft forum.
Face (September 2015 - July 2018)
crushingmayhem (September 2015 - September 2018)
sbl (July 2017 - September 2019)
OWM (July 2018 - September 2019)
Before SpongeCraft's closure, two final tournaments were held in September 2019 as a final send off. These tournaments took place on September 13, 2019 and September 14, 2019.
Date: September 13th, 2019
Game: Final Arena Battle
Date: September 14th, 2019
Game: Final Building Contest
- February 7th, 2015 7PM EST. (Arena fight)
- March 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th, 2015, as part of March Madness 2015
- May 22nd, 29th, June 5th, and 12th, 2015, as a part of Spin-Off Festival 5
- July 3rd, 10th, 19th, 24th and 31st, 2015, as July tournaments for teams.
- August 15th, 22nd and 29th, 2015, as a part of Camp SBC.
- October 17th, 24th and 31st, 2015, as a teams tournament for Octerror Fest 2015.
- December 12th, 19th and 26th, 2015, as a teams tournament for Snowcember Ball 2015.
- January 30th, 2016 for SpongeCraft Anniversary.
- February 13th, 20th and 27th, 2016 for Freebooter Februarry.
- March 5th, 12th, 19th and 27th, 2016 for March Madness 2016.
- May 22nd, May 29th, June 3rd, and June 10th, 2016 for Spin-Off Festival 6.
- July 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th, 2016 for The Super Spongy Square Games.
- August 13th, 20th and 27th, 2016 for Summer Knights.
- October 14th, 21st, and 28th, 2016 for Octerror Fest 2016.
- November 26th, 2016 for Customer Appreciation Weekend.
- December 10th, 17th and 26th, 2016 for Snowcember Ball 2016.
- January 21st, 2017 for Missing Identity.
- February 18th and 25th, 2017 for Fab Beats February.
- March 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th, 2017 for March Madness 2017.
- May 6th and 13th, 2017 for May Mayhem.
- May 27th, June 3rd, June 10th, and June 17th, 2017 for Spin-Off Festival 7.
- July 15th, 22nd, and 29th, 2017 for July of Justice.
- August 19th, 26th and September 2nd, 2017 for Jellyfish Festival.
- October 14th, 21st and 31st, 2017 for Octerror Fest 2017.
- December 9th, 16th and 23rd, 2017 for Snowcember Ball 2017.
- February 17th and 24th, 2018 for Futuristic February: In Space!
- March 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 31st, 2018 for March Madness 2018.
- May 26th, June 2nd, 9th and 16th, 2018 for Spin-Off Festival 8.
- July 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th, 2018 for Sponge Cup.
- August 18th and 25th, 2018 for Rodessance.
- October 13th, 20th and 27th, 2018 for Octerror Fest 2018.
- December 15th, 22nd and 29th, 2018 for Snowcember Ball 2018.
- February 16th and 23rd, 2019 for Flicks February.
- March 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th, 2019 for March Madness 2019.
- June 8th and 15th, 2019 for Spin-Off Festival 9.
- July 20th and 27th, 2019 for SpongeBash.
- August 24th and 31st, 2019 for SBC's 10th Anniversary.
- September 13th and 14th, 2019 for the SpongeCraft Goodbye tournaments.