They were first introduced on June 20th, 2010 on forumotion, but did not serve a key purpose at the time. Later in December 2010, during V5 Dolphin, Glove Universe (Glove World at the time) was opened where users could finally spend their doubloons, thus finally giving them a purpose. They are displayed under how many posts you have and in your profile. You can use Doubloons to buy things in the store, and you can get them from posting or winning certain contests like SpongeBob Jeopardy!.
They went missing for a while on phpBB3 due to a site crash, but returned for Orca. Up until V11, doubloons were in full integration with ibEconomy. On the release of V11, MDPP remade the entire doubloons system by hand.
On August 5th, 2020, following the new server update, Doubloons got another reboot. They now use the Members Shop feature from IPS, which Cha purchased for the site using her own money. It works similar to how ibEconomy worked before.
- Posting in all forums gives you 1 doubloon
- Creating a new thread in all forums gives you 2 doubloons
- In the Spin-Off/Lits section, posting gives you 10 doubloons
- In the Spin-Off/Lits section, creating a new thread gives you 20 doubloons
- Posting a status update gives you 5 doubloons.
- You can gain 2,000 doubloons from winning SpongeBob Pictionary
- You can gain 1,000 doubloons from becoming Featured Employee
- Many forum events have doubloon prizes that range in value depending on the game.
- When they were first launched in June 2010, they did not serve a huge purpose at first.
- During April Fools 2012 and April Fools 2013, they were named "Barnacles".