• Advertisement

182a. Little Yellow Book

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Episode Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: This diary is juicy!
    • 4/5 Stars: Who knew a diary of a moron could be so engaging?
    • 3/5 Stars: There's gotta be some secrets in here somewhere..
    • 2/5 Stars: Don't touch my diary!
    • 1/5 Stars: You read someone else's diary? That's terrible! Tell me more!

Eh. While it was nothing awful, it certainly was not a good episode. Not impressed.

Da Good

-The plot was creative.

-SpongeBob acting like a chicken was funny and looked nice.

-Him dancing around in his underwear was nice too.

-I cracked a smile at Mr. Krabs' afro.

-Patrick's stupid laughing face got me to smile.

-And, all the abuse Squidward got was deserved, I guess, but it really got ridiculous after a while.

-Squidward's nap was funny.

-Officer Nancy and the Original Old Man Jenkins make their glorious returns! I loved that.

-Old Man Jenkins appearing as stuff SB pulled out of the toilet was lulz

-And SpongeBob named his spatula after Jelly. :P His spatula being named Fifi seriously threw me for a loop. :P

Da Bad

-Squidward was a complete sack in this episode. He reads the diary, doesn't apologize, and in the end he's reading the diary and everyone hates him? What the nuggets?

-Just when it looked like Squidward was going to apologize and the episode was going to take a sharp upturn and pull a "Fools In April" on us.......It didn't. Instead Squidward is an absolute jerk and doesn't apologize. I seriously thought that Hello Bikni Bottom would make it so stuff like this wouldn't happen anymore, but I guess not.

-A lot of the jokes fell flat. Many just didn't work. And since the episode decided to skip out on having any emotional impact at all (like Fools In April), there was nothing to back up the mediocre comedy here. Just fell flat.

-This episode also brings up the creepy implications that Good Neighbors implied; that SpongeBob isn't really an optimist, that he's a stupid moron who can't understand what's going on around him and he thinks people like him because he's a deluded fool. I cannot express how much I hate that image, and this episode brought it back again, with SpongeBob's warped view on his world. Ugh.

-The abuse was deserved, but my god, it started getting ridiculous when Squidward's house got repossessed. Then they put him in that headlock thingy, and then he stole the diary, and that all led up to the stupid ending that made no sense. "Ha, it's funny because Squidward is reading the diary and people are throwing stuff at him haha" No it isn't.

-"SpongeBob, you need to go clean out the toilet, someone dropped something in there."

SpongeBob: Duty calls!

That better have been unintentional. If not, are you serious? Did you really have to do a joke as lazy as that one?

All in all, there were a few good parts, but it was overshadowed by the damaged relations between Sponge and Squid and the stupidity of the second half.

6.5/10, maybe a 7 if I were to feel generous. 3rd worst of the Season. Season 9 has been so inconsistent. :P

• Like 1

Watched the premiere for this episode. Pretty underwhelming. It started off good for the first half of the episode. I didn't even mind watching Squidward make SpongeBob do the stuff in his diary. It was afterwards when it went downhill. Everyone shuns Squidward for a reason so stupid that it made me facepalm. Oh and repossessing his Easter Island head? Horrendous. Then Squidward gets tomatoes thrown at him? I did laugh at Squidward reading SpongeBob's other diary, but the second half of the episode was so inexplicably bad that it ruined all the enjoyable moments from the first half of the episode. I mean Squidward abuse doesn't usually affect an episode for me, it didn't this time either. What ruined it was the illogical second half.

5/10

• Like 1

Revealing episodes are always cool, like You Don't Know Sponge where they revealed things like SB's favorite color, etc. This episode was like the love child of Fools in April and Grandma's Kisses. As I suspected most of the secrets were made up for the episode. And the day to day things he did, I also suspected would be in SpongeBob's diary. The secrets were fine, seeing that in the end it's not his super close secrets. THAT I WISH FOR NEPTUNE'S SAKE WE COULD HAVE READ THOSE. D: But I digress, the Patrick parts were good. I liked all the cameos made by the other characters like Officer Nancy and Officer John (BEST COP DUO EVER btw). I don't think we've really seen that Old Man Jenkins since I dunno, Toy Store of Doom? The Fifi reference like others made me think of Jelly, (that would be cool if it was actually a reference to her). I feel like the episode was kinda short in some places, but eh it's fine. I agree that it didn't have the qualities in Fools in April that made Squidward regret what he did. Maybe Squidward did need a little compassion in this one, but I gotta say the ending was still hilarious IMO. I also felt like Mr. Krabs had some funny lines too in this. Gary was great too, seeing him stand up for his master.

Overall 7.8/10 from my first viewing (my review may or may not change by a second viewing)

Little_Yellow_Book.png
=============== Little Yellow Book===========================
Rating - (★★. 3/10)
Writers - Luke Brookshier, Marc Ceccerelli, Derek Iversen
Prod. Code - 182a
Season 9
==========================================================
Another episode I got hyped for featuring Squidward and it was quite bad? Hooray! ANOTHER ONE!

One thing that has really disappointed me this season is the continued "ehhhh" quality of Squid/Sponge Abuse episodes. Granted, the kind of humor was never my favorite, but, hey, in pre-movie, the stuff was actually pretty entertaining! Nowadays, it seems as if it's the only kind of humor - taking Flanderization to it's highest. I know, you've seen this complaint MANY times, but, I just can't get it out of my head. With Squid Baby, I found it to be a few seasons too late. It left a rotten taste in my mouth. Squid Defense had some mediocre plot elements "CAN'T USE KARATE FOR REVENGE TROLOLO" and most of it's jokes also fell flat. So, when I heard of Little Yellow Book, I was expecting it to be really, really, good. Then the episode got pulled out and replaced with another broadcast of everyone's favorite sponge's feature flick, and everyone was "huh"? So, here it is, Little Yellow Book in all it's glory. Finally, a release date.

And what's a Season 9 SpongeBob premiere without an incredibly long marathon? Super Secrets Saturday followed this one up. Honestly, I'm surprised they even thought some up this time. What's next? My Leg Month? I also for some reason found no title song in this episode. It went straight to the title card. What is up with you lately, Nick?

The episode begins with an empty-as-all-Neptune Krusty Krab. Yeah, yeah, you know the beginning gimmick: Squidward is at the Krusty Krab working, customers get hungry, SpongeBob takes about a minute to cook some Krabby Patties and get 'em to the customers. But what's this?? SpongeBob has a book in his hand, by golly. Squidward gets piqued, makes a flat joke (seriously? Have you really run out of jokes already? Good luck in Season 10.) and when the time is right, takes a peak in SpongeBob's diary.

We get a little insight to SpongeBob's diary-life, where, argh, yet again, SpongeBob acts like a complete delusional moron who cannot understand anything Squid might be saying. Gary stands up for his owner and "cuts the conversation short". I have to say it now.. I never truly DESPISED SpongeBob's post movie character. I like that he still has his optimism.. some of it. The rest is just a crazed idiotic sponge who cannot even grasp the slightest of a negative comment. I hope this show doesn't turn into SpongeBob & Friends.

Back in present time, Squidward uncovers some more secrets about the diary, but SpongeBob proves to be trouble. He sends him off to unplunge the toilet, of course, a lie which SpongeBob believes as usual. We learn more awkward and downright kooky secrets about our favorite chipper sea sponge, like for example, when SpongeBob sees plaid, he.. clucks like a chicken? I'm not sure if I should be amused or just surprised. When SpongeBob hears the town anthem, he.. takes off his clothes and dances? (Someone keep 4EverGreen away from this episode) And SpongeBob has named his spatula FIFI???? OH THE HORROR! (Jelly, oh Jelly!) I know, I shouldn't have expected much from this episode, but.. wow. I have never SEEN so many jokes at ONCE fall so flat on their bum like it's a sitting contest. I guess Mr. Krabs' afro and Old Man Jenkins appearing out of the blue was kind of humorous, but honest to god, Luke, Marc, and Derek?? I expected better from you three!

Eventually, SpongeBob discovers that Squidward has been reading his diary, and he runs out of the room, bawling. The fish who were along with Squidward reading the diary find out too, and storm off. Even Mr. Krabs, the most sinful man in the ocean, is horrified. Squidward just shrugs it off and goes along his normal day, but it seems his reputation is sealed. Word spreads of Squidward's "diary-reading" and the town despises him. His house gets repossesed, taxi drivers loathe him.. Maybe overdoing it a little, but moving on...

Cops find Squidward, and for some reason, send him to the guilotine for people to throw tomatoes at him. Sort of a weird punishment, but, hey, what'cha gonna do when they come for you?

SpongeBob meets up with Squidward, where he seems to have forgave him. Turns out, he published his diary and it was a bestseller! Fish come by to assault Squid, but kind SpongeBob asks them to stop their attack and let them know that he, as an author, has forgave Squidward. We also find out that Squidward has read SpongeBob's work diary only, so, hey, it's all OK, right?

No. Squidward backstabs Sponge and reads his personal diary. Poor SpongeBob runs away crying, while fish continue to throw tomatoes at Mr. Squidward, while Squid himself holds no regrets.

Honestly, I was really, REALLY, disappointed with this episode. The ending was absolute garbage. Even after SpongeBob gives redemption, Squidward holds no regrets and reads his personal diary anyway. What the heck? In a similar episode, Fools In April, Squidward does something embarassing to SpongeBob. Squidward feels bad, and tries to cheer him up, but his temper gets to him. In THIS episode, well, you know. Has the Flander-you-know-what really gone this far? Also, the jokes fall almost completely flat. Just like Squid Baby or Squid Defense, there wasn't much to laugh at other than one or two jokes for me. You can have your opinion, of course, I just felt there wasn't much funny here other than maybe the afro or Old Man Jenkins. The concept was great, but the execution was horrid. Another Squid Defense this is.

★★. (3/10)

Now, if you excuse me, I have a chair to sit on, and a game to host. Hasta la vista!

I guess I see what you mean Box, the secrets were very random. But I would expect them to be random now these days. I agree, the moral ending of the episode wasn't the best. I guess they really couldn't or maybe didn't want to be exactly like Fools in April's ending. Maybe they could have spiced up moral story in this so that it wouldn't be a rip off of Fools in April. But they didn't, they just allowed Squidward to keep laughing at the end. Proving that he might need to show more compassion in the newer episodes like he sometimes did in the pre-movie ones. Sponge-Cano almost did this, but at the end they showed that Squidward didn't actually care.

Little Yellow Book - 7/10

The first half of this episode was incredibly boring in my opinion. However, as the episode progressed, I felt it gradually found its place. The episode was memorable, and there were two things I laughed out loud at: when they're reading the diary and Patrick walks along and is laughing maniacally, makes fun of the name Fifi, and then pulls out his spatula and says, "Isn't that right, Frank?" I thought that was hilarious. I also loved when Patrick is in the dumpster and opens the bag to find that Squidward only put a ketchup packet in there. That was funny for Squidward and funny for SpongeBob (how did he not realize there was only a ketchup packet in there?). Squidward felt kind of mean this episode, but oh well.

Overall, an okay episode. Not as bad as the other two Squidward episodes this season (Squid Baby and Squid Defense were terribad IMO), but not as great as what I was hoping for.

• Like 1

I just saw the episode and I really liked it. I found some of the secrets really funny such as SpongeBob clucking when he sees plaid and stripping to his underwear when he hears the national anthem. I also laughed at the bit where SpongeBob goes outside on his break and "bubbles" when he's feeling stressed.

Though I do kinda agree that the last half could've been better and Squidward's comuppance for the whole thing was kinda overdone, along with him not apologizing, but begging for SpongeBob's forgiveness only to read his personal diary afterwards. But admittedly I kinda saw the part at the end where SpongeBob's not bothered by it anymore and forgives Squidward coming.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it might be a continuity nod where Squidward points out to Patrick that he read his diary also, which is what he did in the episode "Boating School".

I don't know if it's true or not, but it might be a continuity nod where Squidward points out to Patrick that he read his diary also, which is what he did in the episode "Boating School".

I never thought about it like that. :o That would be awesome if it was. :D

Also, has anyone else noticed how skinny they have been drawing Squidward lately? He seems really thin and his arms don't thicken out near the hand anymore. Not sure how much I like it.

Yeah a few days ago I noticed that. I think it makes him look too disproportional.

Little Yellow Book

I just watched it. It was weird.

Let me list the SB abuse episodes:

I'm with Stupid (even though this episode is actually good)

The Sponge who could Fly (maybe)

A few others I can't think of....

This one

5.7/10

• Like 1

Little Yellow Book

I just watched it. It was weird.

Let me list the SB abuse episodes:

I'm with Stupid (even though this episode is actually good)

The Sponge who could Fly (maybe)

A few others I can't think of....

This one

5.7/10

I actually agree with this. I felt like SpongeBob and Squidward were both equally abused in this episode, and it WAS weird to watch. Just kind of uncomfortable with both of them getting bashed.

Little Yellow Book started out with so much potential and ended in the most unsatisfying way possible. This is an example of a episode with a great idea but sucky execution. A couple of members made parallels to Fools in April, and though FIA wasn't one of the show's best episodes, it did the whole people-turning-against-Squidward concept a lot better. Here's where I had the biggest issues in that respect: (Warning: spoilers)

1. Almost everybody chastising Squidward were just as guilty as he was. The fish in the restaurant were laughing and playing along as he read from SpongeBob's diary, and as soon as SpongeBob left the restaurant crying, they decided that invading people's privacy was wrong and just ganged up on Squidward out of nowhere. Squidward actually points out this hypocrisy when he tells Patrick that he read SpongeBob diary, too, but that doesn't even come close to making it better.

2. Squidward himself shows no remorse about anything he does, even as the town starts to treat him like a leper. It's only when his house is repossessed and he's left on the side of the street in a medieval torture device that he starts to think "Hey, maybe I should start being less of a jerk." Of course, he throws that out the window the second he hears the words "personal diary". He's even more unlikeable than usual in this episode.

3. SpongeBob pretty much forgives Squidward five seconds after the whole diary incident, and he gets his private journal PUBLISHED because "people seemed to be liking it so much". There's a fine line between naïveté and just being a complete freaking moron. Despite this, he probably deserves more sympathy than any of the other characters in this episode, since everyone else was a d-bag.

4. There wasn't enough Patrick. (jk jk :P)

Overall, I'd give this episode a 5/10, and that's just being nice. There were a couple of jokes I laughed at, but that doesn't make up for just all the wasted promise. It's a shame, too. I was looking forward to this ep, as were many of us. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next Season Niner and hope it isn't nearly as disappointing.

• Like 6

Little Yellow Book started out with so much potential and ended in the most unsatisfying way possible. This is an example of a episode with a great idea but sucky execution. A couple of members made parallels to Fools in April, and though FIA wasn't one of the show's best episodes, it did the whole people-turning-against-Squidward concept a lot better. Here's where I had the biggest issues in that respect: (Warning: spoilers)

1. Almost everybody chastising Squidward were just as guilty as he was. The fish in the restaurant were laughing and playing along as he read from SpongeBob's diary, and as soon as SpongeBob left the restaurant crying, they decided that invading people's privacy was wrong and just ganged up on Squidward out of nowhere. Squidward actually points out this hypocrisy when he tells Patrick that he read SpongeBob diary, too, but that doesn't even come close to making it better.

2. Squidward himself shows no remorse about anything he does, even as the town starts to treat him like a leper. It's only when his house is repossessed and he's left on the side of the street in a medieval torture device that he starts to think "Hey, maybe I should start being less of a jerk." Of course, he throws that out the window the second he hears the words "personal diary". He's even more unlikeable than usual in this episode.

3. SpongeBob pretty much forgives Squidward five seconds after the whole diary incident, and he gets his private journal PUBLISHED because "people seemed to be liking it so much". There's a fine line between naïveté and just being a complete freaking moron. Despite this, he probably deserves more sympathy than any of the other characters in this episode, since everyone else was a d-bag.

4. There wasn't enough Patrick. (jk jk :P)

Overall, I'd give this episode a 5/10, and that's just being nice. There were a couple of jokes I laughed at, but that doesn't make up for just all the wasted promise. It's a shame, too. I was looking forward to this ep, as were many of us. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next Season Niner and hope it isn't nearly as disappointing.

I honestly was about to point the bolded out. In Fools in April, the townspeople didn't laugh, so their criticism towards Squidward was valid. Here, EVERYONE laughed and made Spongebob cry. Plus, why were the idiotic fish still attacking Squidward even when Spongebob published the diary?

(then again, that plot point doesn't make any sense, but I digress)

after watching it again I agree.it felt rushed towards the end. and the whole emotion...was gone. still was a great episode. I think the fished jus got caught up in the moment and realized whats wrong. but squidward had no remorse at all. it was goo he got his ass handed to him