• Advertisement

182a. Little Yellow Book

Jjs Goodman

Rating?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Episode Rating?

• 5/5 Stars: This diary is juicy!
    • 4/5 Stars: Who knew a diary of a moron could be so engaging?
    • 3/5 Stars: There's gotta be some secrets in here somewhere..
    • 2/5 Stars: Don't touch my diary!
    • 1/5 Stars: You read someone else's diary? That's terrible! Tell me more!

Little Yellow Book started out with so much potential and ended in the most unsatisfying way possible. This is an example of a episode with a great idea but sucky execution. A couple of members made parallels to Fools in April, and though FIA wasn't one of the show's best episodes, it did the whole people-turning-against-Squidward concept a lot better. Here's where I had the biggest issues in that respect: (Warning: spoilers)

1. Almost everybody chastising Squidward were just as guilty as he was. The fish in the restaurant were laughing and playing along as he read from SpongeBob's diary, and as soon as SpongeBob left the restaurant crying, they decided that invading people's privacy was wrong and just ganged up on Squidward out of nowhere. Squidward actually points out this hypocrisy when he tells Patrick that he read SpongeBob diary, too, but that doesn't even come close to making it better.
  2. Squidward himself shows no remorse about anything he does, even as the town starts to treat him like a leper. It's only when his house is repossessed and he's left on the side of the street in a medieval torture device that he starts to think "Hey, maybe I should start being less of a jerk." Of course, he throws that out the window the second he hears the words "personal diary". He's even more unlikeable than usual in this episode.
  3. SpongeBob pretty much forgives Squidward five seconds after the whole diary incident, and he gets his private journal PUBLISHED because "people seemed to be liking it so much". There's a fine line between naïveté and just being a complete freaking moron. Despite this, he probably deserves more sympathy than any of the other characters in this episode, since everyone else was a d-bag.
  4. There wasn't enough Patrick. (jk jk :P)

Overall, I'd give this episode a 5/10, and that's just being nice. There were a couple of jokes I laughed at, but that doesn't make up for just all the wasted promise. It's a shame, too. I was looking forward to this ep, as were many of us. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next Season Niner and hope it isn't nearly as disappointing.

This was incredibly well-written. Best analysis of this episode in my opinion and you did a good job explaining what I didn't like about the episode since I was a bit vague about what I didn't like. :P

And if you don't mind, I can place a few 'Squidward as a Bad Guy' episodes.

Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost

Fools in April

Graveyard Shift

A few ones I can't think of

this one

Me too! Watched it a few hours ago! It was pretty awesome thought I didn't really like the ending where Squidward ended up Victorious. BOOOOO!!! SpongeBob Rockz!!

people hate squidward?

And if you don't mind, I can place a few 'Squidward as a Bad Guy' episodes.

Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost

Fools in April

Graveyard Shift

A few ones I can't think of

this one

Honestly, this is the worst I've seen Squidward.

No offense to the writers, but it seems they've forgotten how to end an episode properly.

Well said. Bumper to Bumper's ending was predictable, Plankton's Pet was rushed, and this is probably the worst in the series, to be honest.

I thought Plankton's Pet had a good ending.

I thought it was nice for Spot to stay with Plankton, but the last minute felt so fast. Spot grows, scares the other pets, Spongebob and Plankton congratulate him for five seconds, and the end.

I thought it was nice for Spot to stay with Plankton, but the last minute felt so fast. Spot grows, scares the other pets, Spongebob and Plankton congratulate him for five minutes, and the end.

I didn't really see anything wrong with that, tbh. I think it was sweet and to the point. Good ending IMO, actually. Wrapped up very nicely.

I thought it was nice for Spot to stay with Plankton, but the last minute felt so fast. Spot grows, scares the other pets, Spongebob and Plankton congratulate him for five seconds, and the end.

I would rather have a congratulating ending then somehow ending with Spot leaving Plankton or something sad like that.