• Advertisement

Johnny Test

Clappy

Well, the show and the characters share similiarities, I understand that, but people don't believe in coincidences anymore, do they? And yes, those are quotes from TV.com reviews.

Look at the show as if Dee Dee is a male, and more annoying Johnny, and that Mary and Susan are female Dexters. Johnny's dad even looks mildly similar to Dexter's dad. It may be more than a coincidence, because Johnny Test parodies stuff without really giving it credit. Like that horrible Dr. Suess rip-off episode.

Anyway, I actually.....liked this show in it's first two seasons. The first season was promising, very promising, and the animation was pretty good. Then, the second season aired, most of the original crew left, and the animation flipped to Flash. And it sucked. But, the writing improved a little, but the animation was so bad that it didn't really help.

The series got progressively worse. Season 4 was just horrible. Season 5's animation quality is a little better, and the writing has improved just a tad. But the show is still horrendous. The animation in particular is just awful and horrible. I'm willing to bet anyone here could animate something better looking. I'm not even joking. The running gags are irritating ("Didn't see that coming", Johnny running into the lab saying "JOHNNY NEED STUPID INVENTION TO MOVE THE PLOT FORWARD BLAHH", Gil never noticing the twins, etc) and really weren't apparent in the first season.

Plus, Dark Vegan sucks (but....his toast jokes are funny, I guess), and the fact that the show thinks it cool to do a racing episode TWICE A FREAKING SEASON NOW (despite the fact that Johnny always wins and the same jokes are made over and over) is just stupid. I have always liked the Johnny X episodes, however. But, all in all, this is really a show you shouldn't waste your time with. Unless it's the first season. Anything else is just really, really, bad. It's a shame. I liked Scott Fellows as a writer on FOP.

• Like 2

Look at the show as if Dee Dee is a male, and more annoying Johnny, and that Mary and Susan are female Dexters. Johnny's dad even looks mildly similar to Dexter's dad. It may be more than a coincidence, because Johnny Test parodies stuff without really giving it credit. Like that horrible Dr. Suess rip-off episode.

Anyway, I actually.....liked this show in it's first two seasons. The first season was promising, very promising, and the animation was pretty good. Then, the second season aired, most of the original crew left, and the animation flipped to Flash. And it sucked. But, the writing improved a little, but the animation was so bad that it didn't really help.

The series got progressively worse. Season 4 was just horrible. Season 5's animation quality is a little better, and the writing has improved just a tad. But the show is still horrendous. The animation in particular is just awful and horrible. I'm willing to bet anyone here could animate something better looking. I'm not even joking. The running gags are irritating ("Didn't see that coming", Johnny running into the lab saying "JOHNNY NEED STUPID INVENTION TO MOVE THE PLOT FORWARD BLAHH", Gil never noticing the twins, etc) and really weren't apparent in the first season.

Plus, Dark Vegan sucks (but....his toast jokes are funny, I guess), and the fact that the show thinks it cool to do a racing episode TWICE A FREAKING SEASON NOW (despite the fact that Johnny always wins and the same jokes are made over and over) is just stupid. I have always liked the Johnny X episodes, however. But, all in all, this is really a show you shouldn't waste your time with. Unless it's the first season. Anything else is just really, really, bad. It's a shame. I liked Scott Fellows as a writer on FOP.

I really hate defending JT, but I'd like to correct you on a few points of your rant. The first is that the first season of Johnny Test was produced by Chris Savino, the same person who was a storyboard director for Dexter's Laboratory, so the character designs looking similar to DL is actually not that palpable.

despite the fact that Johnny always wins

No, that's not what happens in the majority of the racing episodes, at least not the ones as of late. Most of them try to think they're being clever by either having the generic jerk character win but get what's coming to him, or have the race end in some awkward tie where everyone DONT'NT KNOW WHO WIN BUT DECIDE TO PARTY ON ANYWAY.

Johnny Test parodies stuff without really giving it credit.

I think the problem is the exact opposite...they make it WAY too obvious that they're spoofing something when they do. They do parodies on stuff that nearly everyone's seen or heard of before as a kid (Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry, Peanuts), and STILL find the need to point out that they're receiving inspiration from something by riddling the episode with half-assed and facepalm-worthy fourth wall jokes about Johnny "seeing this somewhere before". Everything else in your rant I agree with though.

Guess what guys.

There's talk of a season 7.

Please give me your guns so i can go kill everyone at Teletoon.

You...do realize Season 7 was ordered over a year ago, right? The show is still ending after that, whenever CN burns off the remaining episodes.

Johnny Test is finally getting cancelled?

I......I don't know what to say. Except, finally! It's about fucking time! Who would want to renew a show about an annoying boy who uses his sisters' inventions to help him with his own selfish needs? If this show is getting cancelled, I am going to throw the biggest party anyone's ever seen and invite anyone who's ever hated Johnny Pest.

Johnny Test the television series doesn't look like it's coming back, but it came back in the form of a low budget web series (and it shows!):

I have to admit. I am fascinated by how bad this looked rather than shocked or disappointed by it like most others.

Just for clarification...

the (since deleted) 'web series' that showed up at the start of the month isn't the reboot. Rather confusingly, they're instead supposedly episodes that got cut from the original show that they've decided to animate and dub over.

No footage yet but this is what the ACTUAL reboot looks like. 

Edited by ­MarioOrangeDash

6 hours ago, ­MarioOrangeDash said:

Just for clarification...

the (since deleted) 'web series' that showed up at the start of the month isn't the reboot. Rather confusingly, they're instead supposedly episodes that got cut from the original show that they've decided to animate and dub over.

No footage yet but this is what the ACTUAL reboot looks like. 

Well, now that clears up why that lost episode was apparently hyped up before getting removed in a snap (it's also a good thing I saw it while it was available to watch for that short period time since it's a pretty interesting piece of history for JT now.), but I don't understand why this wasn't announced earlier.

Since Johnny Test is coming back, I have some hopes that Netflix's version of it will at least be an improvement. The shift in art style is convincing me that the new series is already looking to be better.

11 hours ago, Steel Sponge said:

Since Johnny Test is coming back, I have some hopes that Netflix's version of it will at least be an improvement. The shift in art style is convincing me that the new series is already looking to be better.

Wait wait wait...Johnny Test is coming back?