• Advertisement

What'd ya last watch? (Movies)

terminoob

4 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Hi, I would like to defend my stance above here for all of the so called "cynical adults" here.  I respect your stance on the Transformers movies as I unapologetically like the first one and think the third one is pretty alright.

My problem with the franchise is that it is lazily written and creatively empty.  They keep putting out the same movie plot-wise every time with little variety.  Hell I'll even give Michael Bay credit.  He is aware that is the same damn movie every time but it's still making him money...and I respect that aspect for him at least.  But to me, I can only rewatch the same movie structure so many times before wanting something more and that's coming from someone in myself who absolutely loves dumb action popcorn flicks.  And five movies in, there is literally nothing new this franchise can bring to the table.  

You can call it hypocrisy, but I just want them to do something new with these movies instead of replicating the same formula time and time again.

Since you mentioned rehashes, I'll admit that there are similar things within each movie, like a mythical artifact bent on reformatting Earth, an antagonist always dies at the end, human protagonist has misfit friends, big action scenes at the end. Those are rehashes from within the franchise, yet at least within the original trilogy they were much more deviant with how they're done, like how each movie starts in a different location along with having a different tone (first movie has a set up to Blackout, second movie starts with a battle against Demolishor, and third movie shows Sam and Carly's peaceful life before things go downhill slowly), first movie was the introduction to all the characters, second movie shows the Autobots fitting in with Earth and Sam initially progressing with life until another threat returns, and the third movie feels like a proper finale, not to mention the initial hero then backstabbing Sentinel Prime along with the Decepticons putting doubt on our heroes. The post DOTM movies I don't feel really have the charm of the original trilogy as I said, especially with the rehashes of some of the elements like the human protagonist discovers a vehicle is actually a Transformer, and the similarities between the Allspark-made Transformers from the original trilogy next to the use of Transformium (REALLY STUPID NAME, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN CODENAMED DIE-CAST OR CYBER METAL OR HAVE THE SCIENTISTS SAY ITS UNIDENTIFIABLE SO THEY NAMED IT AS SUCH), and I really find the inclusions of the prehistoric elements to be jarring in contrast to the Primes being in Egypt and or Sentinel being on the moon, but if looked past those rehashes and oddities, then the movies are entertaining popcorn flicks (the term "dumb movies" is a bit dis-generous in my eyes), though I prefer the original trilogy over the newer films. Plus, if these films offer "literally nothing new", then what about other movies like most of the MCU having plot threads that contain a guy in a suit who hires a mercenary or a hero using a technology or power that a villain wants to mimic? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quantum Surge said:

Got back from a Chicago premiere of Transformers: The Last Knight, and it felt interesting to see a circle of sorts become complete. When I first saw Transformers in 2007, I got hooked into the franchise and got a lot of toys, played the game and read the books; my friends and cousins always enjoyed playing with the action figures too. Now in 2017, I'm pretty pumped to watch the film that celebrates the 10th anniversary of the live action film series. Most of my friends asked me if it was good, and I'm gonna say it's a fun theater experience. It's not the best movie of the franchise and it's not a condender for best movie of 2017 I will admit, but I've had more fun with this movie than I had with Lego Batman and Guardians 2, and I'll say it's better than Age of Extinction!

The cast got me worried when I heard that it'll be a mix of new characters, characters from the previous movie, and characters from the original trilogy. I felt happy to see Lennox and even Simmons, but felt kind of empty when Topspin was without his Wrecker buddies and there was no sign of Sideswipe or Dino. The Dinibots didn't add anymore development in all honesty; in fact, they added less to the movie. The Decepticons were pretty cool to have all talk and not be like Lego/Kre-O models, but they weren't as iconic as the original Decepticon line up, and bar Megatron, Barricade, Onslaught, and Berserker, some felt pretty goofy like Mohawk. Plus, most of them got taken down easily. The Knights of Iacon were pretty cool to see kick some tailpipe, and so were the Infernocons, but I doubt I'll ever buy their toys and have them be on my shelves next to more iconic characters like Jazz, Ironhide, or Starscream. Quintessa was pretty cool to see, and it's neat to see her as a nod to the Quintessons without having her be a direct copy of them (FYI, I don't like references to G1 because it takes any creativity from an new universe of Transformers mythos away). The humans tend to get a lot of slack for being on screen more than the titular robots or how they act annoying, but in their defense, it's a live action movie (if there were no human actors, it'd negate the purpose of it being live action), and they sometimes act a bit nuts because the world they live in doesn't give them enough time to sit down and breath in the action; plus, I feel it'd make more sense for Cade to develop a need to give care to Transformers when they're in danger than say Tony Stark recruiting Peter Parker in a battle that could get him killed.(*cough* *cough* child soldiers *cough*)

The action was pretty sweet, some scenes tend to happen a little too quickly but it wasn't like a "okay done move on" scenario. While some action didn't make sense in AOE (a car punching a man is kind of odd), but this was a bit more grounded like the original trilogy, and it made sense for the final battle to escalate much more as the Autobots got more damage from the several battles they got in. Some stuff didn't make much sense in the trailers, but if you pay attention in the movie, then some details would align a bit more than you'd think they would.

When I first saw reviews of the movie, I was a bit worried about how the movie would play, so I had to go blind until I sat down with my popcorn and soda, and I was pleasantly surprised! Sure, it's not the best this franchise offers, but it's still a pretty fun action flick; the audience actually laughed at the jokes, even the kids were pretty entertained (some were wanting both Optimus and Bumblebee to "not win" in their battle)! I'll give this movie a 6 out of 10, and I'll be the first to say this: those that bash the Transformers movies gotta open their eyes and see their hypocrisy, whether they're basement dwelling Geewuners that don't accept change, Michael Bay haters that herd together like sheep and make themselves think forming bandwagons against the man are fun, cynical adults that think occassionally watching action movies would kill your brain cells, or those that say these films are bad for having too much action or humor yet praise any other superhero movie for the same reason.

I thought it was okay, the action was good, but i feel that it needed more synergy with the other transformers movies like aoe did, still doesn't mean i hate it, and at least I wouldn't set my mind to hate it if i were a film critic, it's just kind of ghastly compared to the older ones.

• Like 1

But for more positive reviews I liked Wonder Woman, Captain Underpants, and Cars 3! I felt so sad to see McQueen feel like he'll retire but I'm glad hes not leaving to soon! plus I clapped when I Doc was referenced and even heard! Paul Newmans is a man that deserves to be honored more whenever they make reruns of the movies he's been, hes just great!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Quantum Surge said:

Plus, if these films offer "literally nothing new", then what about other movies like most of the MCU having plot threads that contain a guy in a suit who hires a mercenary or a hero using a technology or power that a villain wants to mimic? 

Fair point and I know Hollywood is running out of original ideas.  I've noticed it in even movies I love like you pointing out the MCU.  Doctor Strange's origin story was very similar to Tony Stark's about an arrogant guy being knocked down a few pegs after a life changing incident alters his health.  But the difference to me between that and the Transformers movies rehashing is that despite the MCU's rehashes, they still manage to try and do things different to give them their own identity.  The direction in Doctor Strange contained some of the best visuals in any movie I've seen all year.  Yeah Marvel does replicate its own formula many times, I'm not denying it.  But they at least try to give each movie their own distinct style and personality.  

Michael Bay's Transformer movies are all one in the same from writing to characters to direction to editing.  Although I will give The Last Knight this.  The big climax action scene didn't emphasize how big the Transformers are and they managed to make it far more compelling fitting all the action into each screen shot better.  But either way, I just feel that sequels don't have their own identity and replicate the same formula the first one nailed.  It's just hard for me not to notice it after five movies.  Hopefully with this being Bay's last Transformers movie, whoever is directing the next two will bring on a new identity to freshen things up.

@Clappy I feel only 8 of the 15 MCU films have a style; 4 of the 6 Phase 1 movies, Winter Soldier, Guardians, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange were original for me, but for a franchise hailed as one of the greatest if all time, I can't really say it's films are as original as what X-Men and Spider-Man were. This has me worried for next year's movies.

And as I said, while the newer TF films are confused rehashes, ROTF and DOTM had more originality that made them stand out in the original trilogy. Hate to sound rude, but instead of replying to me again, just look at the details of the first two sequels I brought up in my previous quote.

Edited by Quantum Surge
Crappy editing on mobile

Baby Driver

The most fun I had at a movie all summer.  Definitely needed a movie like this with all the mediocrity a majority of the summer blockbusters have produced.  Highly recommend.

• Like 1

Baby Driver

sorta bummed to see how brief Jon Bernthal's role ended up being especially after being featured just as prominently in the trailers, but I understand with the whole "not using the same crew twice" thing and the fact that his character pretty much became Jamie Foxx's anyways. Everything else was fucking great tho

• Like 1

I tried to watch a flat earth documentary... I could not finish that. :peridot:

The last full movie I watched was probably Zootopia or the new Beauty and the Beast.

Despicable Me 3

It was funny, but it quickly ran out of the charm and heart that the original...hell even the second one had.  This franchise is starting to remind me a lot of Shrek.