• Advertisement

What'd ya last watch? (Movies)

terminoob

In preparation for this weekend, I rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy.  If the sequel is just as refreshing and fun as the original was, I'll be a happy camper.

I just watched Spider-Man 3, and I have to say, it's not as good as the first 2 movies, but I still like it! The cast is still good for me, and I like the newcomers, I feel that the movie isn't too dark and has the same tone as the previous films. I really liked the action sequences, and the villains, I feel, aren't as good as Otto Octavius, but I feel they represent the past (Flint Marko), the present (Harry Osborn), and the future (Venom); and I'll take them over the terrible trio from The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (no comment on Homecoming as it's not out yet and I don't plan on seeing it). This honestly makes me miss the old days of Marvel movies back when variety between studios existed (Spider-Man 3 from Sony and Columbia Pictures, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer from 20th Century Fox, and Ghost Rider from Marvel Knights); nowadays, Disney is so desperate in making MCU movies as if one year without them will make them bankrupt (btw, 2009 was the ONLY year there wasn't one, and it's also the last until the end of time). So Spider-Man 3 may have some flaws, but I feel it's very entertaining and also another part of what makes me a Marvel fan (with my favorite Marvel movies being Blade, the X-Men series minus Wolverine Origins, the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, Fantastic Four and ROTSS, Iron Man, The Avengers, Captain America The Winter Soldier, and Gardians of the Galaxy), and my love for the original Spider-Man trilogy is something most younger fans might not understand (especially those Youtube crunts that think someone crying over the loss of their beloved uncle dying in front of them is funny). I like The Amazing Spider-Man, but the failure of TASM2 and lack of interest in Tom Holand's performance still have me believing that Raimi and the old guys and gals involved have the kind of heart that most comic book movies can't do perfectly, plus it makes me feel Disney and Marvel Studios could have taken a new stab at another Spider-Men out there (my choice being Miguel O'Hara, the likes of which would have added a unique twist to the story as a time traveler who went back to the past to prevent Thanos's reign from happening). Overall, 8 out of 10!

• Like 1

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 

I'm about to bump the topic because my opinion on this is kinda all over the place.  I definitely liked it, but I don't think it was better than the first one.

This review has some mild spoilers.

I saw GotG Vol. 2, felt disappointed by it, sure the cast is still good along with Baby Groot (though I'd roll my eyes if I hear some fangirls on podcasts pretending to like the movie saying that he's so cute they got a plushie of him), and the action is really solid, but I have several problems with it, mainly regarding how some of the dynamics with the newer caharacters are less sharp than before, along with how Peter Quill's dad ends up pulling a La Magra beast on us (the La Magra beast was from the 1998 Blade movie, where in an alternate deleted scene Deacon Frost becomes a whirlwind of blood and it was removed because the test audience liked Frost's actor Stephen Dorff so much (myself included, though I wasn't in the test audience lol) that the whirlwind took audiences out of the movie, making New Line Cinema change the fight into a more simple but effective sword fight); when I say that, the father becomes a planet and I feel that it takes away from the performance of the man himself. Plus, I cringed that when Quill found out that his mom was killed, which was rather dramatic and more so than the forced revelation of Bucky killing Stark's parents in "Civil War", they make another stupid one liner about the dad being a Pac-Man ball or something. Really aggravating, and Disney should know that these kinds of jokes won't add anything on a revelation like this.

It seems kind of unfortunate that Marvel Studios hasn't done their sequels right. The only one I feel was done right was The Winter Soldier. They might make millions at the theater, but I feel that maybe Disney and Marvel should tone down the amount of MCU stuff every now and then. I would make one or two movies per year, do an Avengers related movie in the next year, and take a break with a length that would depend on how much the budget is from the movies released. This would help sharpen up some of the more disappointing movies like Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. I'd also do sequels for a trilogy every 3 years, especially for the bigger budget movies, and make cheaper movies more often. I saw Screen Rant's page regarding what the MCU has to offer, and I feel that they forgot about the philosophy that less is more and jumped the shark with the bigger-is-better-no-matter-what-schtick that happens nowadays; tons of new Netflix shows and 3 more movies, yet Fox has the New Mutants and Dark Phoenix saga while Sony and Warner Brothers just have Venom and Aquaman. If Disney and Marvel did less movies within a year and took notes from previous Marvel sequels like X2: X-Men United and Spider-Man 2 while letting other companies feel more welcomed with making movies, I'd be glad to enjoy them more; besides, I'm a person that likes variety. Too much MCU and Star Wars is like too many cookies; sure they're sweet and really addictive, but the more you consume them the more you feel bloated, so I'm glad that I got to see movies like Hidden Figures, Logan, Split, Get Out, and Power Rangers, all of which I feel have a good form of variety like HF being based on a true story, Logan being less like your standard superhero movie and more like a strong western flick, and Power Rangers having a diverse cast unlike the Avengers.

So Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is entertaining, and the cast members I feel are still awesome, yet it once again fails to make itself a good sequel to one of the biggest movies of 2014. I know a lot of people are really loving this giant franchise, but for me, until Infinity War is released, I think I'm done with the MCU (starting to feel the same with Star Wars). When Iron Man 2 was the only MCU movie of 2010 and was released 2 years after the first one, I was totally up for seeing it (even if it wasn't that good), but with the MCU fatigue, I feel more excited to see the final film in the series than another Spider-Man reboot or a movie with a character I have no connection with (especially when we barely see characters die, looking at Hawkeye and James Rhodes). Would I feel the same with X-Men, DC, and Transformers? I could, but at least X-Men doesn't do too many movies within a year (except for 2016) and does different things, DCEU is currently 4 years old so I won't comment on it too much, though I fear that after Justice League, some films might feel out of order and not as prevalent or important as others (I'm up for Affleck's/Reeves's Batman movie, Shazam!, and The Flash, but I'm not really excited for Gotham City Sirens, Nightwing, and Batgirl), and regardless of the criticisms of the live action Transformers movies, whether they're reasonable or filled with GEEWUN stupidity, that franchise isn't making a new movie every year, though I feel that after Age of Extinction, the franchise feels more like it's doing too much than it really needs to; I prefer the explosive military feel from the first three movies with a few teaspoons of lore from previous works over the Chinese audience pandering, medieval obsessed crap that the more recent movies are doing. When it comes to this year, I have planned on seeing movies like Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes, and even Cars 3, as their different themes and tones felt like the variety I want when it comes to watching movies (plus, Cars 3 looks like Pixar's redemption after making Cars 2).

• Like 1

@Quantum Surge

^ Not going to quote all of that but I would like to offer a rebuttal to your post.

-We have spoiler tags for a reason.  That way those who haven't seen this yet can not...you know...be spoiled lol.  But I thought Ego was honestly one of the great Marvel villains in the MCU filmography.  He was very well developed and didn't feel one note, even though he technically was.  His reveal makes so much sense and it interweaves itself well with how he actually was in the comics.  Don't have any real problems with it.

-I understand the MCU fatigue and don't blame you, but I think your explanation left a lot of open holes worth pointing out.  Me personally, I'm still heavily invested in the MCU because they keep making great movies.  Sure the sequels (minus Captain America's) are disappointing, but outside of Iron Man 2, Thor 2, and somewhat Age of Ultron, they aren't technically bad movies.  Shoot, those three movies I listed off aren't even outright terrible to sit through; more like a lot left to be desired.

Definitley agree with wanting more original films, but that's not to say you can't indulge yourself with a sequel or extended universe that is still proving to provide good to great movies that are keeping you invested.  That's just me though.

But my big question mark with your post comes from franchise fatigue.  You do know what's coming up on the calendar for many of these franchises and studios right?  

Fox is about opening the doors for an extended X-Men universe so they can keep the rights away from MCU.  Even then, they have long since run out of ideas and are making the same general theme for X-Men over and over again.  The new one that just got announced for 2018?  It's repeating the Phoenix storyline from The Last Stand.  Also with all the timeline hopping and just in general continuity, Fox is running the X-Men franchise all over the map.

Warner Brothers I don't even feel like I need to point out how many DCU movies we are getting now and will be getting in the coming years.  Even then, Warner Brothers is also making a Godzilla/Kong-verse too.

Paramount is making a Transformers Universe starting with this one coming out.

Universal is doing a monster movie universe starting with The Mummy.

Shoot we are also about to get a Hanna-Barbaraverse too to name one of the more out there ones that I didn't mention in this post.  What I'm trying to say is that everyone figured out that extended universes make money and studios are about to interconnect all their properties more so than ever before.  However, what almost all of these movies are more than likely going to forget is to make a good original movie first and keep the audiences invested in the short term and long term.  Marvel is still doing that to this day so while you may be getting tired of it, I'm not because they are still executing it better than everyone else so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clappy said:

If they do it well, I say GO for it! :D I mean, especially when Hanna and Barbera were alive, they just LOVED to put a BUNCH of their characters together in animated series, and Made-for-TV animated movies; so it already kind of makes sense to make a cohesive Hanna-Barbera cinematic universe, since the basis is already there, and most of the characters HAVE been shown to interact with each other on at least several occasions! :cool:

Lol Hanna Barbera verse. And I respect your opinion on the MCU, but for me, most of it seems fairly average and unfortunately forgetable. I can't even remember the terrible Mandarin plot from Iron Man 3.

And the most recent movie I saw was Rise of the Silver Surfer. Not too shabby, really like the Super-Skrull homage Johnny Storm did to stop Doom at the end.

Edited by Quantum Surge
  • Like 1