• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

I can't connect to it on any level as I'm just not a rollercoaster fan so I'm left with an episode with a few admittedly nice jokes, but nothing that makes me think "this belongs in the top 50" whatsoever. The story is a standard "face your fears" one, and the jokes while decently funny, aren't really the best of the show. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but this is the one I disagree with the most so far.

• God Himself 1

"Roller Cowards" made my list at #15. I can't stress enough how much I *dolphin noise*ing love this episode! It has everything I could ever ask for in a SpongeBob episode: Great plot, excellent jokes, many funny scenes, tension and suspense, and of course SpongeBob and Patrick being in a situation that is INCREDIBLY relatable! Although today I'm a huge roller coaster fanatic myself (which may admittedly at least play a small role in why the episode is as high as it is on my list), I was definitely terrified of many of them as a small child, and I've known so are many other kids that young who are/were as well. This relatablity definitely just makes for an around fun episode! I've already gushed enough, so I'm just gonna sum it up by saying that Roller Cowards is a phonomenial episode that will always be in my Top 20, and I am so glad it is this high on the list!

Edited by SpongeNicko
Fixed weird grammar and sentence structure.

The only reason I didn't put "Roller Cowards" on my list, it's not because I forgot it for a change, it's because I thought the episode would have no CHANCE of making it onto a list that seems EXTREMELY biased towards having pre-movie episodes on it! :rolleyes: But in any case, this is a really good example on how the post-movie episodes REALLY aren't all bad or terrible, and can be really clever and humorous when they have the right writers writing them! :D What makes this episode great, is that it's easy to relate to Spongebob and Patrick having a fear of roller coasters, and also, not wanting to let their friend down. Of course, the fast pace of the roller coaster and the insane gags presented on it, really make it worth the initial worry and nervousness of Spongebob and Patrick! o.o And the fact that they survived, only losing their spines, make their ride a badge of honor that they can remember for the rest of their lives! I can't wait to see what other episodes wind up on this list! :cool: Enough said, true believers! ;)

• God Himself 2

Roller Cowards made my list because I really feel like it can compete with pre-movie episodes while having a great episode on its own. A shit ton of jokes worked out so well imo and I always admire a good episode focusing on SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship. I can relate to both of them on finding huge amusement park rides scary and not having courage to ride them. And It's always a pleasure to see an episode reaching to its climax and making it so exciting and hilarious. I'm so happy that this episode made it through list.

• God Himself 1

23. "Hospitals, schools, retirement homes, and even ye olde bowling alley..."

Image result for dunces and dragons

Dunces and Dragons, 131 points

(12 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, SOF)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Dunces_and_Dragons

More: Wow, were Season 4’s specials fantastic. While Have You Seen this Snail succeeded with its simple emotional core, Dunces and Dragons excelled by going all-out with adventure, action, and amazing settings and jokes. The balance between all these elements was just perfect, it simultaneously threw jokes at us every second while building up tension and action as they weaved more characters like Squidly, The Dark Night, and Planktonimor in and built up the stakes so that you’d wonder if the main cast could even manage to beat the dragon. Ironically they released the tension with Krabby Patties which was a fun SpongeBob spin on things. So much was explored and shown in this it’s hard to point out the sources of all of it. The brilliant art direction helps pay a lot of tribute to classic stories while poking fun at the tropes in a way only SpongeBob could. Every single joke is perfectly timed, the animation is perfectly choreographed, and the story never ceases to disappoint. So much inspiration clearly went into its creation. The only way I could see the episode being improved would be if it were given a sequel and a video game release, that’s how good this is.

• Like 5
  • Happy 3

Dunces and Dragons will always stay as one of the strongest specials of the show. It wasn't on my list but it was such an excellent balance of comedy and adventure. I can't think of anything else to say, except Squidly was one of the best one-note characters ever.

Roller Cowards: Amazing episode and one of the best of the season and post-movie and the series altogether. I can defitenly relate to having anxiety, and that includes spongebob and patrick's fear here. I've been in this kind of situation before, where I wanna go on a ride/go on a ride but have anxiety because it's scary, this is gradually fading away from me as I become less of a roller coward but regardless, this is relatable even for other forms of anxiety. The episode is hilarious too, with scenes such as The Mitten and that weird ice cream scene. This made my list.

Dunces and Dragons: Another amazing post-movie episode that made my list. There's so many things great about this episode; the great atmosphere/setting, the great characters, the great plot, and the great humor.... It all results in an amazing episode that makes my list. ALSO I TOLD YOU GUYS THIS WOULD BE THE OTHER POST MOVIE EPISODE TO MAKE THE LIST HA

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Missing Identity (#32)

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Plankton's Army (#33)

Employee of the Month (#40)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Something Smells (#39)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Life of Crime (#30)

50: ???

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

43: ???

42: Big Pink Loser (#38)

41: ???

40: Have You Seen This Snail (#26) 

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: No Weenies Allowed (#37)

22: SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

21: ???

20: Dunces and Dragons (#23)

19: Roller Cowards (#24) 

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: Snowball Effect (#25)  

12: ???

11: SB-129 (#28)

10: Mimic Madness (#31)

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

14/50, 7/25

• Like 1

I’ll try and get back to the rest of the episodes on the list later (just finished moving) but here’s where they land on mine thus far. I’m still flabbergasted that Mimic Madness got so much backlash here, but I guess it’s the Band Geeks effect happening. Didn’t make my list but it was one of the last episodes I cut. 

7. The Great Snail Race (#45)

12. Roller Cowards (#24)

14. Have You Seen this Snail? (#26)

15. Rock Bottom (#49)

20. Dunces and Dragons (#23)

21. The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Edited by More

D&D will always be one of top 3 all-time favorite episode. I really like the animation, the location of this medival time, and of course, who couldn't forgot Squiddly, the best one-off (sorta) ancestor character i liked. I remember @Cha♡ and I woud role-play as jester back in like 2014. Which is so much fun we had :P

Overall, another great s4 special that i enjoyed.

"Dunces and Dragons" is my 7th favorite episode. Everything about is fantastic! The plot of SpongeBob and Patrick being displaced in medieval times is awesome, the actual time period itself is portrayed correctly,  Squidly is an awesome and memorable character, the jokes are awesome, and most importantly, it doesn't just drag on and on like other specials! The pacing is top-notch here! Easily one of the best episodes of the series (And the 2nd best post-movie episode IMO), and it deserves to make it this high!

color me surprised and glad that this is here instead of plankton's pet 459452406925754369.png?v=1

i completely agree with More that the specials in season 4 seemed to hit an especially high note. i've always found dnd to be the most effective of them, primarily because the characters (especially in the context of a medieval setting) are so well-written and hilarious together, plus there are some great jokes here, particularly the now-iconic suicide joke and squidly's performance that are both definite highlights. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Honestly, I feel like this is the WORST track record I've had in trying to list which episodes would make this list EVER! :rolleyes: We're already past the half-way point, and not a single ONE of the new episodes that I have picked (that I wanted to write a review for), has made the list YET! Not only that, I kept forgetting about episodes that were good that should have made my list, OR thinking that they wouldn't make the list, because they were Post-Movie or Post-Sequel! o.o But if a Post-Movie special were to make the list, I'm glad that "Dunces and Dragons" was one of them! :D It's really interesting to see that in MANY cases, the apples didn't fall FAR from the ancient tree, metaphorically speaking! :hysterical: Squidward's ancestor was a struggling, unsuccessful entertainer; Mr. Krabs' ancestor was into getting money; Sandy's ancestor was into combat; and Plankton's ancestor wanted to take away what Mr. Krabs' ancestor had! And I think it was so great that Spongebob and Patrick were able to make the most out of being sent back in time, by being able to SAVE Bikini Bottom history! :cool: This is a great special, and I can't wait to see what else winds up on this list! Enough said! ;)

• Funny 1
  • Wow 2
  • God Himself 2

22. "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

Image result for sailor mouth

Sailor Mouth, 137 points

(11 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #4, CDCB/Pat the Horse)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Sailor_Mouth

RDSP: For some, a relatable episode, for others, an enjoyable one; Sailor Mouth is  an episode about swearing. Spongebob and Patrick learn a word on the back of a dumpster and start using it, to the chagrin of everyone else around them. The situation is handled perfectly, seeing as how they don't know the meaning of their words and yet spew them out rapid-fire. It's taken even further later on, involving Mr. Krabs and even his mother. There's never a dull moment in this episode, which is considered one of the funniest of the show for good reason.

• Like 6

"Sailor Mouth" was number 11 on my list, and it actually just barely got beat out by my number 10 pick (which I'll keep quiet on until or if it shows up on the list). I f***ing ADORE this episode to death, and I always will! First of all, the very fact that they went for an episode with a lot more adult humor than usual is so awesome, and for me this is especially true as I get older (thus I start finding the jokes more funny the older I get). Secondly, it is so HILARIOUS! And in more ways than one! The fact that they censor the swear words with a dolphin noise rather than the typical bleep, the Eels and Escalators game where SpongeBob loses, flips out and says bad word #11, Mr. Krabs warning SpongeBob and Patrick about using bad words, only to do so himself when he stubs his foot, the beginning of the episode where SpongeBob learns that these words are "sentence enhancers", the twist ending where we think Mama Krabs swore, but in all actuality just turns out to be Old Man Jenkins honking his horn.... I could literally go on all day, because the amount of times I laughed at this episode is near endless! Plus, it is just such a unique episode with a plot that SpongeBob has never really attempted to do again, and is one of the most shining examples that proves that SpongeBob can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike! Enough gushing, the bottom line is that I love this episode so much, and I cannot be more thankful that it made this countdown! :)

I don't really consider Sailor's Mouth to be top 25 worthy on my list but it's great enough to be on this list. Gotta love the show taking bold approach to swearing and giving us a great message on it. If the censors were all beeped, this episode wouldn't have been as funny, so adding different sounds in each swears made the episode creative and humorous. Not the mention, Mr. Krabs is fantastic here. I need more wise father-like Krabs and he shines here. And this episode gave us Mama Krabs and her appearance was damn funny. This episode is worth watching.

Sailor Mouth didn't make my list but it's in my top 50. It's a great and hilarious episode with a great plot. I love the censors they use, it's so *dolphin chirp*ing great. The characters are all great, perfectly characterized, and hilarious here; a lot of the humor in this episode comes from the events and characters themselves.

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Missing Identity (#32)

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Plankton's Army (#33)

Employee of the Month (#40)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Something Smells (#39)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Life of Crime (#30)

50: ???

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

43: ???

42: Big Pink Loser (#38)

41: ???

40: Have You Seen This Snail (#26) 

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: Sailor Mouth (#22)

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: No Weenies Allowed (#37)

22: SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

21: ???

20: Dunces and Dragons (#23)

19: Roller Cowards (#24) 

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: Snowball Effect (#25)  

12: ???

11: SB-129 (#28)

10: Mimic Madness (#31)

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

15/50, 7/25

21. "The only people who don't like Krabby Patties have never tasted one!"

Image result for just one bite

Just One Bite, 141 points

(13 of 32 lists. 1 #1 vote - Wintermelon)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Just_One_Bite

WhoBob: Sometimes when a joke gets told too many times, it loses its touch. That's what happened to me with some of the classic episodes like Chocolate With Nuts, a great episode but its jokes were quoted a lot that I can't find myself laughing at them. This is an exception for an episode like this one. It has some of the most popular moments in the show's history like grinning SpongeBob face, "I have no soul" and closeup of Squidward's ugly face still work as great jokes after many years and those aren't the only ones. I love SpongeBob desperately trying to make Squidward eat a patty. The whole aspect of Squidward being obsessed with Krabby Patties to a point of him dreaming of having a patty wife cracks me up so much and it's also a much better here than To Love a Patty. You know what else I love about this episode? It's a story about giving a food we've never tried a chance. Sometimes we get tired of people shoving food we haven't tried in our faces when we can't find the food appetizing, so Squidward's reaction to Krabby Patty came off as normal here. But that doesn't mean food you haven't tried is bad. The episode gave us the message of giving foods a chance but it also told us to never carry away with it or else your body explodes like Squidward's did at the end. Or maybe I'm just giving this episode too much credit here but still this episode is one of the funniest and the most memorable episodes of all-time.

Wumbo: When putting together my best list this year, I looked for the episodes that have one corner of the market of what makes SpongeBob great locked down. And for my money, Just One Bite has the best facial expressions the series has ever had. This episode gave us "does this look unsure to you?", the image above, and this, to name a few. But good facial expressions does not alone make a good episode. That's why it's so great to have these moments in an episode with an engaging plot. I love episodes that feature a lot of sneaking around and deception; Squidward's quest to taste another Krabby Patty, and the trials and tribulations he goes through to do so, are downright inspiring. Add in SpongeBob to the mix, comically misunderstanding Squidward's motivations after the display he saw, and you have yourself an episode full of laugh-out-loud moments and great character conflict. This episode, in fact, does have a lot of soul to it, which can be attributed to the power of the almighty Krabby Patty. Just don't eat too many at once.

• God Himself 7