• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

GARY NOW I KNOW I WAS WRONG I MESSED UP AND NOW YOURE GONE

jWGust2.gif

one of the best specials of the modern era (if you can even call season 4 that anymore) due to a great and actually quite poignant storyline. spongebob takes on a much grittier story than usual and it for the most part works pretty well, with some great humor scattered in there. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Have You Seen This Snail is one of the few episodes with a captivating enough story for me to excuse its lack of comedy. Not to say there aren’t good jokes here though. Squidward’s awkwardly drawn out scream, the ridiculousness of the “Dirty Bubble Challenge” and Gary’s handwriting are all great. But it’s the characters and emotion that reign supreme here. Let’s start with Grandma, who can be added to the roster of terrific SpongeBob villains. I like how she first appears to be an innocent old lady, but then after the reveal she suddenly becomes sinister and terrifying. Gary himself also makes for a good co-main character. His struggle to adjust to city life at first is pretty great, and later his choice between SpongeBob and Grandma is pretty emotional too. SpongeBob’s emotional torment is hard to not get sucked into. I love the mix of determination and regret he feels toward Gary, and those tears he cries are easy to sympathize with. And let’s not forget Patrick's awesome supportiveness! I enjoy how he stands with SpongeBob throughout the entire day no matter what, and he has some funny moments like him slithering out the curdled milk and his unintentional calling out of SpongeBob’s mistakes. Him running into Gary but just brushing him off is heartbreaking, but still hilarious. Oh, and Gary Come Home is actually a great song. I like how there’s sort of a music video going on while it plays, and it portrays SpongeBob’s tortured emotions quite well.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. SB-129 (#28)

44. ???

43. Missing Identity (#32)

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. Clams (#41)

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. Big Pink Loser (#38)

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. Something Smells (#39)

19. ???

18. ???

17. Squid's Day Off (#43)

16. Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. Life of Crime (#30)

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Club SpongeBob (#42)

No Weenies Allowed (#37)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Plankton’s Army (#33)

Mimic Madness (#31)

Have You Seen This Snail? (#26)

• Like 1

HYSTS has always been in that "top 50 for sure, but I think it barely misses my top 25" episodes and it's a shame. It's honestly one of the most complete episodes of the show. The emotional song, a strong plot, there's a few good jokes as well such as his obsession in needing to reach an insanely high paddleball number, and of course breaking into Squidward's house. Even though I didn't have it in my top 25 I completely understand anyone who does and it's shocking to see it be this low given it usually makes the top 15.

• Like 1

While "Spongebob Squarepants" is certainly not the first animated comedy show to have a (mostly) genuine dramatic episode ("Ren and Stimpy's" episode "Son of Stimpy" comes to mind), it certainly does the missing pet episode well, and the Grandma is probably one of the better one-shot villain characters that have appeared on this show. While this episode didn't make my list (and I'm now kind of wishing that it did), I certainly appreciate this episode appearing on this list, and I can't wait to see what other post-movie episodes wind up on this list! :D Enough said! ;)

2 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

While "Spongebob Squarepants" is certainly not the first animated comedy show to have a (mostly) genuine dramatic episode ("Ren and Stimpy's" episode "Son of Stimpy" comes to mind), it certainly does the missing pet episode well, and the Grandma is probably one of the better one-shot villain characters that have appeared on this show. While this episode didn't make my list (and I'm now kind of wishing that it did), I certainly appreciate this episode appearing on this list, and I can't wait to see what other post-movie episodes wind up on this list! :D Enough said! ;)

i don't see how an episode of a fart can be so genuine and dramatic

Edited by President Squidward
  • God Himself 1

HYSTS works on so many levels. It's an actual important special that has genuine heart to it and the show basically nailed at doing a serious plot. But humor still worked as hell for me. Patrick made the whole special funny and the grandmum was creepy yet funny character. I could understand if people don't find it to be good because it's more serious than funny but I loved every single minute of it and It's on my list for these reasons alone.

Have you Seen This Snail: Great episode with a great plot, great characters, and great song, all of which create some good emotions for this episode too (though I can't relate because I've never had a pet). Even despite this, there's still some good jokes in this too, surprisingly. Not in my top 25 but in my top 50.

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Missing Identity (#32)

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Plankton's Army (#33)

Employee of the Month (#40)

Something Smells (#39)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Life of Crime (#30)

50: ???

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

43: ???

42: Big Pink Loser (#38)

41: ???

40: Have You Seen This Snail (#26) 

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: No Weenies Allowed (#37)

22: SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: SB-129 (#28)

10: Mimic Madness (#31)

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

11/50, 4/25

Top half of the list! Woo!

25. "Fort Squidward is now all but impenetrable!"

Image result for snowball effect spongebob

Snowball Effect, 108 points

(11 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, Prez)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Snowball_Effect

Hayden: What an all around fun treat. Like another Christmas episode due to the weather. The humor is pretty classic even if it isn't throwing a joke out every line. Patrick being able to make a strand of DNA before a snowball, Patrick and Squidward's bathroom conversation, the rapid fire GIF worthy moment where Patrick's mouth is assaulted by snow, Squidward's fireplace going out, and "fighting's for adults too". Much like the episode "Naughty Nautical Neighbors", Squidward tries to get Patrick and SpongeBob to ignore their friendship and treaties for his overall amusement before getting caught in the middle of everything. Squidward building that huge ass fort might be one of his best meltdowns as he succumbs to the crazy childishness around him. Surrender to this episode is unconditional.

Clappy: Where do I even start with my admiration for this episode?  How about the novel concept of there being snow in Bikini Bottom in the first place?  This is the kind of imagination that is sorely missing from the latter seasons these days.  I love the fact that it isn’t caused by a cloud but from an iceberg of all things.  That makes logical sense.

So yeah, anything creative with snow gets an automatic plus one from me to begin with.  It’s what they do with the snow that makes this such a special episode.  An all out war of a snowball fight.  Then of course, the catalyst of wanting to see these two blow each other’s brains out, Squidward.  See, this is what I was referring to commentaries ago with how clever the interactions used to be between Squidward and SpongeBob & Patrick.  Instead of making it the former just being a bitter soul hating the latter two for their juvenile behavior, there use to be substance like watching the roles eventually reverse.  So by the end, watching Squidward have fun and SpongeBob/Patrick be the responsible adults just feels all the more satisfying because they spent the eleven minutes building to these actions leaving us a satisfying conclusion of Squidward having fun while SpongeBob and Patrick go inside and drink some hot cocoa and watch the weather.

Its episodes like these that make me really enjoy the show.  Easy to say for practically any pre-movie episode, but sometimes you don’t need to complicate an episode with focusing solely on the plot.  Just give a simple premise and go that extra mile to really explore the potential you can come up with.

• Like 7
  • Happy 1
  • God Himself 1

Snowball Effect will always be one of the strongest episodes the show gave us. It's on my list because it took a simple concept of having snow days and turning it into one big fun festival. This is nothing but a classic Squidward having fun for himself once and seeing him being all childish but SpongeBob and Patrick all mature made the jokes so damn funny. I love snow and snowball fights, so this episode has a special place in my heart. Squidward's desperate to have snowball fight is kind of relatable to how I love snowball fight and I wanted to do that more with my brother and cousins but sadly we grow up and there has been less snow for us. So yeah, I actually admire this episode more as an adult because it's an episode that focuses on childish behaviour and the concept of having fun.

Snowball Effect is an episode that runs beautifully right from the get go. Not only is the opening scenic and creative, it’s also very enjoyable. I love those brief shots of Bikini Bottom draped in snow, and the reactions and activities of the characters, like Mr. Krabs building a dollar sculpture, Plankton getting crushed by the flakes, and even Patrick making a “snow angel.” The fight between SpongeBob and Patrick is glorious, especially the rapid-fire scene. Seeing the snowballs all go into Patrick’s mouth in slo-mo has to be one of the greatest jokes in series history. The episode diversified pretty well once Squidward enters the fray, too. I adore his general inexperience with fighting as SpongeBob and Patrick keep tearing him down with a wall of snow. His little rush of excitement from hitting SpongeBob is also pretty sweet, and it’s pretty scary to see how quickly morphs into complete paranoia and self-gratification. Funny how easily SpongeBob and Patrick are able to slip away while Squidward mutters about “the possibility of an aerial attack.”

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. SB-129 (#28)

44. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. Clams (#41)

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. Big Pink Loser (#38)

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. Something Smells (#39)

19. Snowball Effect (#25)

18. ???

17. Squid's Day Off (#43)

16. Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. Life of Crime (#30)

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Club SpongeBob (#42)

No Weenies Allowed (#37)

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Plankton’s Army (#33)

Mimic Madness (#31)

Have You Seen This Snail? (#26)

I swear, I'm starting to feel like a broken record player at this point! :rolleyes: A bunch of good episodes keep appearing on this list, and they are good episodes that I wish that I had included on my list! o.o Maybe next time, we could do a top 30 list for each person, so we can include more of the episodes we really like! In any case, this episode is living proof that a simple plot can actually work pretty well! :D After all, it's not often that Bikini Bottom gets to have a snow day! :hysterical: The jokes about Plankton wanting to harness the energy of snow, and being SMOTHERED by it, Spongebob RAPIDLY firing snowballs at Patrick, Squidward ripping up the peace treaty, only to find out it was a copy of the peace treaty, Patrick and Spongebob INSISTING that Squidward should have a fort, and Squidward going over-board at trying to throw snowballs at Spongebob and Patrick, just makes for a really great episode! :cool: I can't wait to see what other episodes wind up on this list! Enough said! ;)

There's a lot of reasons Snowball Effect made it that high on my list. Since it's Winter-themed, it feels cozy to watch. Squidward's character is a lot of fun in this episode, as well as SpongeBob and Patrick. There's lots of memorable and funny moments in this episode, such as the running gag where a snowball puts out Squidward's fireplace and the "pretend I'm SpongeBob" bit. Snowball Effect is one of the reasons why Season 3 is my favorite season.

• Like 2

Snowball Effect is an amazing episode that made my list. It's hilarious, has amazing atmosphere, and has amazing characters/characterization. I love how Squidward is the one trying to be "mature" with this, but ends up being the one getting carried away with the snowball fight. This episode was on my list

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Missing Identity (#32)

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Plankton's Army (#33)

Employee of the Month (#40)

Something Smells (#39)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Life of Crime (#30)

50: ???

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

43: ???

42: Big Pink Loser (#38)

41: ???

40: Have You Seen This Snail (#26) 

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: No Weenies Allowed (#37)

22: SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: Snowball Effect (#25)  

12: ???

11: SB-129 (#28)

10: Mimic Madness (#31)

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

11/50, 4/25

Have You Seen This Snail?: Very good special, a true heartwarmer and a sad episode done right. While maybe a little overrated IMO like many episodes in Season 4, it is still an enjoyable classic that is another shining example of how SpongeBob specials should be done.

The Snowball Effect: Not a lot I can say. Just an awesome and hilarious episode with a great setting and excellent characterization. I love how Squidward tries to act like he's above SpongeBob and Patrick in terms of maturity, and then joins in on their snowball fun later on :)

On 7/13/2018 at 9:23 AM, President Squidward said:

i don't see how an episode of a fart can be so genuine and dramatic

Honestly I never felt Stimpy losing his fart to be emotional, imo it was rather the show parodying the emotional episodes of comedic shows but what got to me was Ren's concern over Stimpy. Ren and Stimpy's Scumpo friendship is the best part of Ren and Stimpy and Ren's concern is 100 times more powerful than any of Stimpy's sadness over his fart. 

Also Stimpy's Fan Club is way more emotional than Son of Stimpy and that's a fact. (smirk)

• Sad 1

24. "Maybe I should stop making people smell me."

Image result for roller cowards

Roller Cowards, 115 points

(9 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, Honest Slug)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Roller_Cowards

homie: If there's any proof that season 5 is a lot more brilliant of a season than most viewers give it credit for, Roller Cowards is that. Some really great jokes tie this episode together like the conditions for riding the Fiery Fist O'Pain, SpongeBob and Patrick literally falling into their own graves, Patrick being forced to take a picture with Glovey, and some of the best characterization of SpongeBob and Pat's friendship in post-movie mainly due to their mutual attempts to get the other to not ride the Fiery Fist O'Pain. There's a super refreshing plot here with a new location and a few characters to bounce SpongeBob and Patrick off of, plus Patrick fighting himself in the bathroom against SpongeBob hitting himself with his ice cream is one of the best single moments in season five. 

More: One thing I think almost every Season 5 episode had in common is that they weaned away from more mature humor and simplified the stories to make it more appealing for children. Sometimes we get Waiting where that means making the characters as annoying as possible, or Atlantis where they boiled them down to them singing about one already established trait to appeal to the kiddos. But when they handle it well, you get what’s arguably one of the most relatable conflicts of everyone’s childhood and one of the best tests of SpongeBob and Patrick’s friendship in the series.

SpongeBob and Patrick both trying to act so kind to each other that they hide the fact that they’re terrified of the coaster to each other feels very genuine, but it also adds a lot of rising tension as they both want to impress one another. There’s a good balance showing when it’s appropriate to act courageous and when to tell the truth. The first time you watch it, the conflict was raised so high that you’d wonder if they would even go on the ride before it’s too late. The episode is packed with jokes at every corner which only emphasizes how absurd everything is, some of my favorites included when SpongeBob was having a conversation with the ice cream cone (was it alive?), the part where they were scared the old man was injured by the ride (when it was really pre-existing), and when even the Mitten terrified the two in contrast to the baby. This is bar none Season 5’s best episode and it’s up there with the best episodes of pre-movie.

---

Commentators! How are you finding the commentary responsibilities? I'm trying to get at least two people per episode, but if things are getting too hectic I can dial it back a bit to one. Let me know!

• Like 3
  • Happy 1
  • God Himself 2

Roller Cowards is an episode of absolute crazed genius. The relationship between SpongeBob and Patrick is my favorite part here. I love seeing them both afraid to ride the Fist O’Pain, but don’t want to admit it and let the other down as the tension keeps rising. Their silly attempts to try and avoid going on are all really classic. There are also some great, scattered jokes that satirize the amusement park experience excellently. The photo with Glovey Glove, the overreaction to going on the Mitten, the Old Man Jenkins scene “BUT IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!”, and the ice cream scene “YOU WANT DAT? YOU WANT DAT?” (plus the reflection punching) are all amazingly gut-busting. The Fiery Fist O’Pain itself is one of the greatest moments ever in SpongeBob. I love how overly exaggerated it is both in real-life and on TV, all the excessive warnings, helmets, and liability waivers required to ride it, and of course seeing it in action. That third and last fakeout where the ride breaks down is glorious. I love how it prompts both SpongeBob and Patrick to admit what they were hiding, only for it to start back up again. I adore how overblown and bombastic the ride is as all this crazy shit comes at them.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. SB-129 (#28)

44. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???