• Advertisement

Stephen Hillenburg diagnosed with ALS

Guest hilaryfan80

Oh gosh.. I feel so bad for the guy. :( Goes to show you anything can happen to anyone. At least he was allowed to fill out his dream about his franchise series. I hope he'll be alive for at least a few more years..

• Like 3

Guest hilaryfan80

That's terrible. :( Well, I hope everything goes well for him. Maybe we could do a fundraiser for ALS research on SBC.

Heartbreaking news. SpongeBob gave me some of the best laughs in the more difficult times I've had, and this hits me really hard. If he doesn't manage to pull through, I hope he can at least enjoy the last few years of his life.

• Like 5

I am not very good at speaking with sadness, in depth, but this really hit me in an emotional level to see that a creator of an animated show that seriously defined my childhood and liveliness as a fan of cartoon shows/animated movies, as well as an enthusiast/aspirant in animation and general, has became ill. I really hope for the best for Mr. Hillenburg, and the best for the future of the SpongeBob staff and the future of the show itself. This is just really sad to hear.

I also hope for the best of the future for Nickelodeon/Nickelodeon Animation as well, even if I have stated many times that they have been on a rocky road. It must mean a lot for them to see that Hillenburg is diagnosed with a serious illness.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

I am not very good at speaking with sadness, in depth, but this really hit me in an emotional level to see that a creator of an animated show that seriously defined my childhood and liveliness as a fan of cartoon shows and animation and general, has became ill. I really hope for the best for Mr. Hillenburg, and the best for the future of the SpongeBob staff and the future of the show itself. This is just really sad to hear.

Could not have said it better myself. Just.. this. Really this. It sucks so much. Spongebob was something that was there for me during a rough patch of my life and I hold it in high regard as it is among my favorite animated shows ever. I sincerely hope that Hillenburg will recover in the future. Really sad about this.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2017 at 8:35 PM, CyanideFishbone said:

Could not have said it better myself. Just.. this. Really this. It sucks so much. Spongebob was something that was there for me during a rough patch of my life and I hold it in high regard as it is among my favorite animated shows ever. I sincerely hope that Hillenburg will recover in the future. Really sad about this.

I'm afraid ALS is not something you recover from.

• Like 2

Wow...this is just...terrible. ALS is unfortunately not an illness where you could easily be cured from. I just hope he lives as long as possible. He is one of the biggest inspirations to me when it came to the animation world. My condolences to him and to all of his family too.

Honestly whatever you think of the shows he's been in during any time even what most people consider to be the dark ages of SpongeBob, you're flat out lying if you say this man has had no influence over the animation industry, clearly shown by the quick humor, connections with others who've worked on multiple projects with him, and an overall understanding of what kids like to watch, all of that and more has been shown through the passion of him and everyone else with SpongeBob and beyond, I'd say that's pretty good for a guy who originally studied and made a comic about marine biology. From the show, books, comics, DVD's, merchandise, everything was thanks to you, and very few people can say they've had that much of a positive impact on over millions of people, shown through a fanbase that's strong, always with memorable quotes to say. Whether it helped them get a laugh to alleviate boredom, or to get their minds off of any troubles and simply relax, whether it be those young enough to be easily impressionable and take a great influence from you, to those actually in the industry, or those burning off a nostalgia rush, your creations are all good for that. SpongeBob has always been a favorite for at least a few generations, and that is absolutely incredible.

Get well Stephen, wish I could say something more deep and meaningful but in the end the outcome will be the same. Best of luck to you and the rest of the crew, friends, family, and anyone else close to him going forward, and to anyone else who has had someone they know and care for be struck with any illness that could be as severe as this. Thank you for all the smiles, laughs, and information you've shared with us all.

• Like 7

This has hit me incredibly hard. To think that the creator of the show that is extremely near and dear to my heart has been diagnosed with this dreadful disease.....I am completely heartbroken. I mean I've watched the show since it came out when I was 3 years old, basically my whole life, so him and his characters have pretty much become a part of me. And hearing this terrible news.....i feel like I've been punched in the gut. I wish him the very best, he has been an influence to so many people. I just want him to be in as much peace as he possibly can during this difficult time.

• Like 2

Oh man, I don't know what to say...this news is so saddening to hear. So many people, myself included, grew up on this show and it'll always be close to our hearts. It really sucks that this isn't something that'll go away. I send good thoughts to him, his friends, and family. Thanks for everything, Stephen.

• Like 2