• Advertisement

Stephen Hillenburg diagnosed with ALS

Guest hilaryfan80

Heard about this last night from one of my friends on Twitter.  What heartbreaking news to hear about someone who has helped shape many lives in the entertainment industry.  Him and the characters he has created throughout the years have become a part of so many lives. Reading about this felt like I got hit by an oncoming train.  That's how much of an impact SpongeBob had on my life and it hurts to know that Hillenburg has been diagnosed with an uncureable disease.  The fact that he plans to continue working on SpongeBob with what little time he may have left on this Earth just goes to show how much the show not only has impacted our lives but his life as well.

You all remember the ALS ice bucket challenge a few years back?  It was for a good cause all the same to donate money in hopes that one day there will be a cure.  Hearing about this is having me want to go back and donate again.  God bless you Stephen Hillenburg.  You and your family will be in my prayers during this difficult time.

• Like 9

Sad, but he'll always have his legacy that's impacted the lives of all of us in some way. We're all here together because of him, and I think that in itself is incredible. All we can do is hope for nothing but the best. ?

• Like 3

Was so sad to hear about this yesterday. I don't come here as much as I'd like to anymore but SpongeBob and this place were a huge part of my growing up, and I wish him the best.

• Like 4

Even as someone among those who have lost interest in Spongebob, I feel some shame for not learning about this sooner. It's truly impressive that he's still willing to work on the show even with this tragedy. My dearest condolences and best of wishes to him.

• Like 3

What a terrible thing to happen to such a great, influental man. I've been watching SpongeBob for who knows how long, and recently gotten into Rocko's Modern Life, the show he worked on before creating the little yellow sponge we know so near and dear. I genuinely cried when I heard this news, and it's all the more sad that one cannot recover from ALS. My thoughts and prayers are to his family, his friends, and all the wonderful directors, writers, storyboarders, and voice artists who worked closely with him on both Rocko and SpongeBob.