• Advertisement

208b. Krusty Katering

Jjs Goodman

Rating  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Dishes: We are anything we need to be for me to make this money!
    • 4/5 Dishes: Don't forget to take your shoes off before bouncing!
    • 3/5 Dishes: Okay...I'm going in!
    • 2/5 Dishes: Just pick one!
    • 1/5 Dishes: I cannot believe I let you talk me into this.

(No promo image available at this time) 

Premieres: 

Saturday, March 4th @ 10:15am ET/PT

Encores:

N/A

Plot:

Mr. Krabs and his crew cater a fancy party, but they might be out of their depth with their new wealthy customers.

Clips:

N/A

This episode is also airing on my birthday, so that's cool.

Edited by jjsthekid

Hate to be a negative nancy, but I didn't like this one that much either. The "WHERE'S MY BIRTHDAY CAKE?" kid was VERY annoying, and quite possibly one of the worst running gags (if that's what it was supposed to be) I've ever seen in an episode. It wasn't funny the first time it happened, and just got progressively dumber each time. If that kid was removed entirely, I might've been more passable on this one. Even then, the first few minutes with the kids acting like jerks to the Krusty gang was pretty annoying and really not funny either. It just wasted time and I was waiting for it to get to the point. We didn't need that long of a set-up to know they had a catering business. A lot of other gags felt mediocre as well, and the gags with the snot patties... yeah, no. Thought we moved on from cringe gross gags like those, and while I don't usually mind them, I found that gag to be forced and unfunny. I didn't dislike this one as much as Snooze You Lose, but it still wasn't good. The kids and rich people weren't interesting or entertaining characters in the slightest. The kids' only trait were to be annoying, and the rich people were just the typical boring snobs. I will say that it had some passable gags, like using Squidward's ink to make tuxedos was kind of funny, and the ending part with the mansion flooding everyone out was somewhat amusing, but neither of those were enough. Another huge problem is like CD said to me on Facebook, the episode just...happened. It had no real set-up or conflict. It just seemed like it did whatever, and had no real flow to its story. It was basically random things happening for 11 minutes, that's the best way I can describe it. Not a good start to Gruber's SpongeBob career.

Also, minor nitpick I have, but...why was Patrick in this episode at all? He's not even an official employee for the Krusty Krab, so it seemed odd to have him tag along. I feel like if you removed him from the episode, nothing would've changed at all.

Grade: D+ 

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 1

This one started off with some very forced gross out gags, then just went off in whatever direction it felt like. Not as bad as Snooze, but still very bland and dull. Once SpongeBob and the gang moved on from the children's party, there was zero motivation for anything. Everything in the episode just... happened. One thing that really irked me was the lack of any payoff. Throughout the episode, there was a running gag(????) of Mr. Krabs trying to get rid of this annoying kid who kept asking for his birthday cake. You would've thought they'd go the predictable route and the kid would somehow blow Mr. Krabs' cover, but nope. Instead they were unpredictable and ended the episode with a flood! Surf's up, dudes! Ha ha! Funny, right? 

Ehhh... not really. 2.5/10 

• Like 1
  • God Himself 1

Ben Gruber is the writer for this episode. How did he handled this episode. So far, he's been mixed in how he been writing the show. While the episode had some really funny moments, there some problems I wanted to get out of the way. One, that part at the beginning with the kids was gross. Second, speaking of kids, that bratty boy got annoying quickly like a running gag in FOP. Third, it felt like I was watching Mighty Magiswords. This episode was very hyperactive that it couldn't calm down.It was jokes and jokes and the pacing was way too off. Nevertheless I still chuckled in some moments. Patrick was really hilarious in this one. The food fight was priceless as well. That gotta be the craziest fancy party you've ever seen in media. Also, noticed how Squidward inked again and the way how they did was hilarious so they wear tuxedos. Like Snooze You Lose, the episode had a lot of crazy expressions and it well done to be "Best Storyboarding" worthy of nomination. I don't know if this better or worse than Snooze You Lose though, the bratty boy and the fast pacing kinda ruin it for me. I understand that Gruber is new to SpongeBob, but I hope he doesn't go overboard. So around a 7/10 I guess?

Rarely do I ever take the time to review a SpongeBob episode, but I might as well review it, since the style of this episode's humor kinda dates back to when I said this a couple months ago about a specific Fairly OddParents episode...:

On 1/23/2017 at 10:04 AM, Steel Sponge said:

SpongeBob did have some of its crazy moments, but I have never seen an episode of SB that felt so chaotic and forced into lowest common denominator style of entertainment like this episode of FOP that I just saw.

...'cuz goodness was this episode at the lowest common denominator. The episode was too noisy, especially at the beginning, the storyline was inconsistent, the gag with the kid stalking Mr. Krabs for his birthday cake was so in my face that it kinda annoyed me, (but I'll admit, the gag with the curtains got a laugh out of me) and overall, it was just a nuisance to sit through. Ben Gruber, I can't expect bad things to come out of his writing for future episodes to come right away, but I am skeptic, especially considering that he was a past writer for Breadwinners (it shows when you notice that he slipped the barrel roll line in the episode) and Teen Titans Go. As long as he's going to be a writer for the show, I would like to see a lot less episodes like this. 3/10

• Like 2

The biggest miss for this episode that hasn't been mentioned, is that if it had restructured itself, it could've actually been entertaining to see Mr. Krabs have to act as a father figure to the kid. The son he never had. Would've been an original story with some heart/focus. Instead we get every character doing their usual shtick (LELELEL REMEMBER SQUIDWARD PLAYS CLARINET BAD AND THAT PATRICK IS A FREAK THAT EATS OUT OF PEOPLE'S MOUTHS?) and it bombs in a terrible setting that doesn't take advantage of the catering concept. (Jewels in patties? How goddamn lazy). It's also never explained who was really supposed to be catering for that party, and you'd think the lady would know who the hell she hired.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hayden said:

The biggest miss for this episode that hasn't been mentioned, is that if it had restructured itself, it could've actually been entertaining to see Mr. Krabs have to act as a father figure to the kid. The son he never had. Would've been an original story with some heart/focus. 

I agree, this honestly would've been MUCH better than what we actually got with this episode. @CDCB had an interesting plan on how to rewrite the episode with your idea: 

Spoiler

zCwAupY.png 

ptnToGG.png 

TvgHviv.png 

cOqwD1p.png 

I would've preferred them going somewhere with this idea, or something similar to it, but instead we got this jumbled mess of an episode.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6

This episode was just okay. Nothing really exciting happened. The only part I really thought was funny was Mr. Krabs using Squidward's ink to make tuxedos. I also kinda laughed when the annoying kid thought Mr. Krabs was his dad after being warned about fireworks. I can also see from this and the previous episode that Squidward is back to being a horrible clarinet player instead of just mediocre. But other than that, I don't really have much to say about the episode.

6 hours ago, jjsthekid said:

Also, minor nitpick I have, but...why was Patrick in this episode at all? He's not even an official employee for the Krusty Krab, so it seemed odd to have him tag along.

Mr. Krabs likes to have him along as free manual labor as seen in past episodes.

At the very least, Ben Gruber TRIES his best to write a "Spongebob Squarepants" episode. It's arguably no worse (but sadly, not really better) than his writing for "Breadwinners." There was SO much stuff in this episode segment that could've been executed better. Since Ben Gruber is new to this, I feel like I can give him a pass THIS once because he's not used to this show. Perhaps if time goes on, he will figure out what makes this show click. At least we got a new character out of the deal; and in better hands, we might be able to see a BETTER episode with Mr. Krabs, and that young, green fish kid (I think his name was Billy) in the future. As far as this episode segment goes, I'll be GENEROUS and give it an 80/100, and hope it encourages Ben Gruber to try HARDER!

• Like 1

this was better than it's sister episode but that's not saying much. This definitely felt like a good premise but it's execution wasn't so good. My main issue with this is that how darn fast paced it is. I don't mind fast paced episodes but this episode really could have toned down it's pacing. The gags were mostly so annoying or types of gags we've seen before. The begining with kids really got on my nerves. It was very loud and gross at times. Sneezing on krabby patties and kids eating it? Come on, gross out gags are usually not funny in this show. After the characters went to the mansion, it certainly didn't get any better. Patrick was really loud and annoying as hell. Yet another Squidward plays clarinet badly jokes. Well, I actually thought Mr. Krabs trying to put the jewels back where it was originally from was actually a good characterization. You'd expect greedy Mr. Krabs to steal them but he didn't. Unfourtunately his subplot was ruined by the birthday kid. Dad krabs scenes were sweet but that's about it. And the climax at the end was fun. But I really just didn't like the odd fast pacing of this episode. Most of gags were really loud and the episode felt way energetic.

Grade: C+

whew that was a fast pace ep but managed to get a lot in there. I liked seeing the Krusty Krew + Patrick doing stuff outside of the KK together. Didn't expect the little kid to turn good, that was kinda cute or SB actually standing up to Mr. Krabs when he was taking the job that didn't even belong to him. Better than You Snooze You Lose, anyways.

• Like 1