• Advertisement

The Simpsons

70s

3 hours ago, Hayden said:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/11/the-simpsons-renewed-for-29-and-30th.html

669 episodes? That could only mean the 29th and 30th season's episode orders are a little larger than usual.

Simpsons apparently broke Gunsmoke's record (whatever that is), so maybe it can just end at 30 seasons now peacefully.

Al Jean has reached to his goal, now time to end this, isn't it Al Jean :) 

On 10/12/2010 at 7:13 AM, Wumbo said:

MolemanFilm.jpg

HANS MOLEMAN PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS MAN GETTING HIT BY FOOTBALL

I think it's safe to say that this show from like seasons 4-11? 12? is some of my favorite animation ever. I can't even begin to list all my favorites in this show's run, man, but I'll try: Sideshow Bob Roberts, Homer Badman, Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo, The City Of New York vs. Homer Simpson, King Size Homer, Homerpalooza, Treehouse Of Horror IV, Boy Scoutz N' The Hood, Homer The Great, Two Bad Neighbors, Bart On The Road, 22 Short Films About Springfield just oh my fucking god dude

so many amazing episodes

Edited by CyanideFishbone

22 hours ago, CyanideFishbone said:

HANS MOLEMAN PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS MAN GETTING HIT BY FOOTBALL

I think it's safe to say that this show from like seasons 4-11? 12? is some of my favorite animation ever. I can't even begin to list all my favorites in this show's run, man, but I'll try: Sideshow Bob Roberts, Homer Badman, Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo, The City Of New York vs. Homer Simpson, King Size Homer, Homerpalooza, Treehouse Of Horror IV, Boy Scoutz N' The Hood, Homer The Great, Two Bad Neighbors, Bart On The Road, 22 Short Films About Springfield just oh my fucking god dude

so many amazing episodes

You're sleeping on seasons 2 and 3.

20 minutes ago, terminoob said:

3's got a lot of great episodes like I Married Marge, Radio Bart, Homer at the Bat..... you know what, looking back, I can add that to what my favorite seasons are (3-approx 11-12). Season 2 is alright, but I really didn't think the show truly took off until 3, but that's just my opinion and I don't think it's a fact at all. 

10 hours ago, terminoob said:

i originally was going to write a post about how Season 2 isn't really a classic season like it's touted to be but then I rewatched Bart Gets An F and damn it everything this show did was so fucking good 

27 minutes ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

i originally was going to write a post about how Season 2 isn't really a classic season like it's touted to be but then I rewatched Bart Gets An F and damn it everything this show did was so fucking good 

season 2 had a few episodes I didn't care much but for the most part, it's a hell of a great season. Not as funny as s3-8 but it's still funny and engaging.

Bart Gets an F is an amazing episode but I'm honestly not too crazy about the season as whole. Of course the writing was great but maybe it's just the juxtaposition of the animation from like 3-10 or so that makes 2 seem a bit awkward in comparison. That's just the way I see it. :/ Maybe I just need to try to divert myself from the animation more, I don't know man. I think we can all agree it's a step up from Season 1 though. 

So I watched a new episode of The Simpsons for the first time in a couple years after seeing this trend on Twitter:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/arts/television/the-simpsons-responds-to-criticism-about-apu.html

For those who don’t know, a comedian made a documentary called “The Problem With Apu”, which tackles the representation of marginalized groups of characters in movies and television.  I have yet to see it only seeing the trailer for it, but I hear it’s a good watch.

Here’s the scene in question that caused backlash:

Lisa (looking at the screen): Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive is now politically incorrect. What can you do?

*camera zooms in on picture of Apu with his catchphrase on it*

My problem with this is that:

A) Lisa is the moral center of the series.  Why is she the one addressing this?

B) Did they not want to be in the wrong that they had to use Lisa to get their point across?

C) Look at that quote and think about Lisa and her liberal viewpoints on practically everything. That just comes off as incredibly out of character, even for her.

Me, personally, I think they addressed this due to how irrelevant The Simpsons presently is.  We already discussed this a few pages back and my point still stands that this is what it takes for people to talk about The Simpsons any more.  And with a historic Season 30 on the horizon and viewership constantly declining, the most talked about moment of this season is this attempt to spark controversy.  Well based off social media for this one day, it succeeded.  But I’ll be damned if this isn’t one of the biggest shark jumps I’ve seen on television this year so far.

• Like 1

Exactly. The show isn't relevant anymore, so a documentary about a character who isn't so much offensive as he is just...there, and the show's reaction to it is just...eh.

In any case, I ask why there needs to be an attempt at "social commentary", but then I remember that this is the Simpsons post-season 8. It's not even trying anymore.

7 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

so a documentary about a character who isn't so much offensive as he is just...there

The documentary is about more than just one character.  It's about multiple characters of different ethnic descents and the way they are portrayed in film and television.  The comedian who made the documentary is actually a fan of The Simpsons.

1 minute ago, Clappy said:

The documentary is about more than just one character.  It's about multiple characters of different ethnic descents and the way they are portrayed in film and television.  The comedian who made the documentary is actually a fan of The Simpsons.

Oh, that makes MUCH more sense. The way it was initially presented it seemed like that documentary was focusing entirely on Apu and his "offensive" portrayal.

But my point still stands about how The Simpsons handled their reaction: the attempt at "commentary" just falls flat, and just seems like a major case of "We're Still Relevant, Dammit!", a trope the show has encountered time and time again.

At this point honestly I could give a shit less about how much of a zombie the show has become. I'm just gonna enjoy Seasons 3-10 and try to pick out some gems from the Scully era and early-mid 2000's Simpsons, because I'm positive they are there.

But yeah, the show trying to stay relevant by sparking controversy is..... a really bad idea. 

EDIT: I just watched the clip. I just think mainly it's a really bad "anti-PC" joke. It really doesn't attack Hari or his documentary, it just kind of acknowledges it's existence and it's a really lame and unfunny joke. If they really wanted to respond to the documentary, they honestly should've done a lot more than a 15 second clip. Also, side note, holy shit the voices sound like the voice actors are getting tired and putting no effort in their roles. Especially Julie Kavner, jesus christ. It's just so weird because I was watching Season 9 just yesterday. I don't really expect a statement though considering Hank Azaria's comments on the documentary when it came out. I just really don't want to go down the whole rabbit hole, but I'm just gonna keep enjoying the classic episodes. 

• Like 1

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/simpsons-reportedly-dropping-apu-amid-debate-over-character-n925096

Welp, it finally happened. I've got a lot of feelings on this whole subject matter but I don't want to go into that right now.

Honestly they should just end The Simpsons instead.  I’ve made my point loud and clear for years now about how I (as well as many) feel, even on The Problem With Apu controversy.  But this move in particular, just awful.  If you’re going to get rid of one character because of “cultural insensitivity”, then get rid of Groundskeeper Willie and Bumblebee Man too.  Stupid move.