• Advertisement

UK votes to exit EU

Ron

In a massive political upset, the United Kingdom has voted to become the first state to leave the European Union in what could have devastating financial consequences for the UK. 

a trip to London will be cheaper now tho :D 

Scotland may also leave the UK itself now, as remaining a part of the EU was one of the major reasons it voted to remain a part of the EU in 2014. 

It's also worthy to note that this referendum is not legally binding and the British government could still technically choose to go against it (very unlikely considering the Leave camp received over a million more votes than the Remains did). 

The British pound has already dropped 9% to levels unseen since 1985. 

Let's see what happens. It could be either good or bad, especially with the economic problems Europe has been facing lately. In the best scenario it could help with the economy and sort the migrant problem, but at the same time this could very well cause the EU to collapse since the UK is the most important member after Germany and France and this is poised to have a big impact on politics in Europe.

I'm not too well-versed on this issue, but it's supposedly going to kill their economy and trade? If so, this was a very poor decision on the voter's behalf.

A lot of Brits are saying they want to move out too. Anyway, I think this proves how quickly and easily people can be swayed and vote a particular way. Another reason why I think Trump is a master at deceiving the media and has a shot at winning. 

6 hours ago, crushingmayhem said:

Let's see what happens. It could be either good or bad, especially with the economic problems Europe has been facing lately. In the best scenario it could help with the economy and sort the migrant problem, but at the same time this could very well cause the EU to collapse since the UK is the most important member after Germany and France and this is poised to have a big impact on politics in Europe.

It also may have effects on other economies like Switzerland and the US for example.

Edited by Stanthemiddleagedadult

Shout out to the UK for being screwed now. :) 

(...but seriously, I'm a bit concerned. The value of the pound is already dropping. Who knows what other consequences this could bring?)

And apparently some people voted "leave" because they thought their vote wouldn't matter. EVERY VOTE COUNTS. That's why I can't stand it when people say they'll vote for Trump "for the lols" or "just as a joke". Please take the voting process seriously.

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Stanthemiddleagedadult said:

I'm not too well-versed on this issue, but it's supposedly going to kill their economy and trade? If so, this was a very poor decision on the voter's behalf.

A lot of Brits are saying they want to move out too. Anyway, I think this proves how quickly and easily people can be swayed and vote a particular way. Another reason why I think Trump is a master at deceiving the media and has a shot at winning. 

The overwhelming majority of people that voted for this to go through are not young voters (the ones that are more easily swayed because their opinions are still being formed), and it's not like old voters need to be swayed one way or the other when they've had their minds made up on everything for the past three+ decades. If there was some kind of age cap on voters, or if the baby boomer population wasn't so absurd, then this wouldn't be any kind of a problem because young voters can (somewhat) comprehend the issues at hand and are (somewhat) better at thinking objectively rather than subjectively, but when the majority are stuck in their ways then it doesn't matter what anyone has to say because they're not going to change their opinions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katniss said:

And apparently some people voted "leave" because they thought their vote wouldn't matter. EVERY VOTE COUNTS. That's why I can't stand it when people say they'll vote for Trump "for the lols" or "just as a joke". Please take the voting process seriously.

Wouldn't this be logic to just not vote at all? Were they forced to or did they at least have a choice in doing so?

25 minutes ago, Wazowskithekid said:

Wouldn't this be logic to just not vote at all? Were they forced to or did they at least have a choice in doing so?

They weren't forced, they chose to make that vote.

Edited by Katniss

12 minutes ago, Katniss said:

They weren't forced, they made that vote out of their own free will.

Then yeah the logic would to be not to vote at all then. Who said they did it because their vote didn't really matter?

19 minutes ago, 70s said:

tumblr_o99owzjNKq1tsrvego1_250.giftumblr_o99owzjNKq1tsrvego2_250.gif

I don't understand this logic, I really don't. What if these people over 65 want to decide a future for everyone and not just them? I need some kind of explanation on why people are okay with taking away voting rights from people who are too old, because they shouldn't have that right taken away just because of their age. They have just as much of a say in the world as everyone else.

(I'm not saying I support what the older people voted for, though)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stanthemiddleagedadult said:

Not really. No matter what happens, the country will still need to trade with the rest of Europe in order to keep their resources in supply and will most likely just continue trading with them or some other country. It's really stupid to have made this a public vote at all, given most of the country only found out what the European Union is after the vote was held.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flatthefish said:

I don't understand this logic, I really don't. What if these people over 65 want to decide a future for everyone and not just them? I need some kind of explanation on why people are okay with taking away voting rights from people who are too old, because they shouldn't have that right taken away just because of their age. They have just as much of a say in the world as everyone else.

(I'm not saying I support what the older people voted for, though)

I don't really agree with it either! I do think it's interesting how the voting was so drastically different between the age groups though.