• Advertisement

UK votes to exit EU

Ron

On 6/24/2016 at 5:05 PM, flatthefish said:

I don't understand this logic, I really don't. What if these people over 65 want to decide a future for everyone and not just them? I need some kind of explanation on why people are okay with taking away voting rights from people who are too old, because they shouldn't have that right taken away just because of their age. They have just as much of a say in the world as everyone else.

(I'm not saying I support what the older people voted for, though)

And that's also stereotyping older people. There are definitely some older people who are progressive.

Edited by Stanthemiddleagedadult

Guest hilaryfan80

In most cases, everyone's vote does matter. I can make a counterargument that mine will not matter, but what I am saying is entirely based on facts: I live in Kentucky where everyone is only concerned of themselves and will only vote Republican. One blue vote in a sea of red votes does not exactly equate to anything. Exactly why I want to leave Kentucky. :P

But there's no use in speculating what will happen to Britain at this time. There isn't a precedence for this kind of thing, so we don't know. All we know is that the pound has decreased in value, but that's basically it.

"Brexit triumphed without a single bullet being fired."

...yeah, Nigel Farage, did you forget about the assassination of Jo Cox (a British politician) by an anti-EU guy? Just read about this and it's awful how politics can motivate people to commit acts of murder.

Man, this is just sad.

• Like 2

So I'll be honest when I say that I know next to nothing about global politics, but I read that both major parties opposed this...and yet they still held a vote on it?  That's a very concerning detail about the state of the U.K. right now.

Seeing as people in Britain are using Brexit to be racist/xenophobic assholes, it is definitely not a good thing. I truly hope this situation can be rectified.

4 hours ago, whotheteen said:

I can't really say much about it considering some british people are happy with this, some are not, i hope it'll be a benefit for all of them. If not, I don't really know how they can solve this.

It's not official, so Parliament could theoretically not do anything, but it would be bad for them ignoring the will of the people. They really shouldn't have had a referendum on an issue this big on the first place, and Cameron leaving instead of seeing it through only shows how much of a coward he is. I do feel bad for the UK, but they've dug their own hole here.