• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2016 Edition

Jjs Goodman

50 I can honestly see....49 is actually kinda hilarious more than harmful. I feel some gags like "I've been waiting for you Patrick" and the playset within the playset are funny enough for some laughs. I could guess dislike but not "hatred".

• Like 1

I personally don't agree with them. Tho I can see why they were on the list in a way.

Giant Squidward - Yeah, I really did not like Bikini Bottomies making giant Squidward their butler, pretty much reminded me of The Sponge Who Could Fly but I liked the jokes in it and tbh Squid abuse wasn't so bad. I personally liked how SpongeBob and Patrick realized their mistake and decided to help Squidward.

Bummer Vacation - I personally find this to be interesting. While I can see this as SpongeBob being flanderized when it comes to working at Krusty Krabs but flanderization worked for me in this one. I liked the jokes about SpongeBob trying to work at Krusty Krab so badly and I liked the creepy joke about SpongeBob slowly reaching to Patrick with a creepy laugh. It's one of my personal favorites from season 4 but I can see why people would be bothered by it.

Anyway, I'd like to comment If there's any episode next that I put on my list one at each, especially if it's my #1. :P 

• Like 1

50. I don't think I can find ANYTHING to defend about this episode. Didn't make it on my list, but I definitely understand it's place on this countdown.

49. I don't hate this episode, but it's not one of my favorites either.

• Like 1

50 - I didn't like this episode, but the Bikini Bottomtte were kind of jerk-ish to Squidward. However, SB & Patrick did a least help to cheer Squidward up as they felt bad for him.

49 - I know some of you were confused by this, but to me i really hate this episode. there this just uncomfortable for me to watch. Like i can't stand how SB acting OOC here, if you missed your working at Krusty Krab, that's fine but SB gets WAY too dark in near end when he wanted Patrick away from him? that's not how it works...

I feel it's not my favorite kind of episode IMO.

• Like 2

50- I kinda liked this episode, but the townspeople were acting a Little Yellow Book-ish. But I found that it was really sweet when Spongebob and Patrick felt bad for Squiddy.   fluttershy_happy_by_angelishi.gif

49- I had mixed feelings for this one. I liked the dark stuff in it, but Spongebob was acting like a workaholic, which was a little OOC for me. I don't hate, but I don't love it.    singing_rarity_by_angelishi-d7agp33.gif

• Like 1

50 - Meh. A weak episode that was ultimately forgettable and one I don't really care about. Not enough to make my list though.

49 - I really like this episode. Don't get the hate at all. 

I put #49 on my list. I don't really like it that much, and I had trouble of thinking of any other episode segment that was more deserving to put on this list. I'm sure there will be plenty of other episodes that I agree with on this list.

50 - I don't really like this episode, but I don't hate it either. Between all the scum from season 6, I can sit through this one. It's harmless.

49 - I love this episode. I think it's a really funny one. I totally disagree with it being on the list but well...

Giant Squidward is...yeah, what jjs said. Just an okay Season 6 episode I was always indifferent about.

Bummer Vacation is a funny sight to see on this list because admittedly, I used to dislike it. I find it to be a decent episode now, but Halibut's reasons for disliking it were pretty sound.

50 - meh, I always thought it was tolerable enough, but I understand why people hate it

49 - I actually like this episode. What's wrong with you heathens?

50. It's an okay episode. It had some good moments, but it's kind of boring to watch.
49. You know. (#10)

My List (As Far as You Guys Know)

10. Bummer Vacation (#49 on the list)

Here are the next two...or three, as 47 is the first tie of the countdown, and also unofficially 46.

48. Rodeo Daze

WdME8OQ.jpg 

45 points. 4 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #10 - @jjsthekid )

It starts in a plain where the narrator is trying to find someone, then he sees SpongeBob, who is having a staring contest with Patrick. SpongeBob tells Patrick he is a great starer, to which Patrick responds, "I thought we were having a blinking contest and I was losing." A bottle then falls from above and gets stuck in SpongeBob's forehead. It is addressed to Sandy, so they go to her house, but SpongeBob can't get Sandy's door open, so Patrick gets out a book titled, How to Open Things. He looks through it and finds Sandy's door. It says to open to the left. SpongeBob says he was opening to the right. Patrick goes to open the door but then Sandy karate-chops it open, and starts hitting SpongeBob and Patrick until her chops knock the letter out of the bottle.

Sandy reads the letter and says it is from her twin brother, Randy and that the rodeo is in town and she has to go to Texas to defend her title. SpongeBob asks, "Your title for what?" Sandy asks if he has cotton in his ears. Patrick states that it is actually an old moldy piece of a Krabby Patty which he then eats. They then start guessing what her title was for, like: "Jellyfishing," "Kah-rah-tay," "The science fair." She responds "no" to all of these and tells them it is the rodeo. SpongeBob asks what a rodeo is, and then Sandy breaks into a song explaining it.

As she sings, SpongeBob and Patrick thought it was dangerous to fight that rodeo. She ends by telling them about rodeo clowns that make you laugh when you're feeling sad, and SpongeBob is horrified by this. SpongeBob tries to stop her from dangerous rodeos, but Sandy must go. Sandy's suit transforms into a rocket somehow, and she goes to Texas. SpongeBob talks to Patrick about how they can't let her go alone, but Patrick was playing another annoying game. SpongeBob then tells Patrick that she will find out she really needs them, but Patrick ran saying "NO MORE TIGHT JEANS!"

SpongeBob tries to tell everyone that they must help her, but they refuse. So he captures them in bubbles while they're sleeping. When they wake up, they're in SpongeBob's house. Squidward gets upset and walks out the door, but falls as the pineapple is in a bubble. Everyone else walks out too and falls. They arrive in Texas to see Sandy riding a bullfrog. SpongeBob says hi to her, and she falls off losing the rodeo. The bullfrog jumps at the bubble and it pops, then Sandy has to save SpongeBob from the frog. Although Sandy does so, she is also extremely angry at SpongeBob for ruining her winning streak and tells him to leave the rodeo to her next time, with SpongeBob replying, "Aw, nuts!"

Jjs: OH BOY, now here's an episode I can dig into. Yeah, this made my list. I didn't realize how much I disliked this episode until last year, and my dislike for it has gotten stronger over the past year, enough to make my bottom 10. So, let's flash back to 2010 when this episode is first announced. The synopsis tells us that SpongeBob must rescue Sandy from the Texan Rodeo. Hey, that's a pretty cool and unique idea for early Season 7. We've never visited Texas before, so this could have been a great opportunity for a new setting to explore. Sadly... we don't really get that. Boy was this episode a letdown. If you're going to have the characters finally visit Texas, you could've done a much better job than this. All of the "jokes" (if you can call them that) fell horribly flat, to the point where almost a minute of the "humor" is wasted on a pointless staring contest, Texan stereotypes, or SpongeBob trying to get people to help Sandy for them to say no over and over when it wasn't even amusing the first time. Not to mention what really grinds my gears is how the citizens act about Sandy. They pretty much pretend she doesn't exist, and just flat out don't care about her. So in the end, because SpongeBob is the only one who cares about Sandy, he resorts to kidnapping everyone...yeah, not even going to bother dignifying that. Ah, but here's the best part: The ending, if you can even call it that. Yeah, the ending with the gang finally going to the rodeo that was hyped up so much for the episode? It's basically over in the blink of an eye. Yeah, what a magnificent way for the gang to finally visit Texas. This should've been a half-hour special if they were going for an idea like that, or if they still wanted to make it 11 minutes, they could've gotten to the rodeo much sooner. Even ignoring what it could've been, the final product we get is a waste of time. That's what this episode should've been called, "A Waste of Time", as More states below, because seriously, so much time gets wasted. From the song, to all the padding in the beginning, all the way to the wasted live-action footage for basically two minutes, etc. Honestly, I wouldn't mind this episode so much if it wasn't for the fact it's such a waste of a good idea. An episode with the gang going to Texas really could've worked on paper. But nope, let's save that interesting part for the tail end (and a pretty terribly rushed conclusion at that, probably up there as one of the worst endings in SpongeBob history), and have 90% of the episode be padded out with pointlessness and out of character moments. A decent concept with a severely lackluster execution, and that's honestly what pisses me off the most about this episode, IMO.

More: Say what you want about Stuck in the Wringer or One Coarse Meal. They at least had a cohesive story with proper pacing and direction. There's not a remote form of pacing here, this is a complete mess. Most of the jokes are slow and plodding just to fill in the already long introduction. I see it's trying to emulate Season 1's style with it's use of stock live-action and a relaxing atmosphere, but that only hammers home how bad it is by making it inferior. When the jokes aren't obvious observations, it may as well be a cringe-worthy song listing Texan stereotypes and the word "Rodeo" over and over and OVER again until the show's half-over, which forced the climax to take the span of under 30 seconds and still have nothing of significance happen.

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.

RODEO! RODEO!

Shut up.

The characters weren't handled any better, as none of them seem to have empathy toward SpongeBob's fear (or a witty way to deny helping), a stark contrast to when we see the town team up to find SpongeBob for weeks in Pre-Hibernation week and the like, and while I get they may not be needed here, that makes SpongeBob kidnapping everyone confusing, and if anything out of character.

The episode's not a bad idea on paper, as it's a premise that hasn't been explored before, and if you change the length of each scene to fit better, it could offer interesting background to the characters. If SpongeBob was the only one to take the trek to Texas, with a twist that Sandy is in trouble and needs to be saved, we could see a lot of insight on how the two get along. But as is the introduction is way too long and the climax too short to keep me entertained. It's a waste of time.

47 (1) / 46. The Gift of Gum

6CQuwYM.jpg?1 

47 points. 4 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #8 - @PatrickFan1 )

On "Best Friend's Day," Patrick gives SpongeBob an enormous wad of used gum he has amassed over his entire lifetime (fondly referred to as "Gummy"), and SpongeBob finds it a better gift than his own (a robotic butler). However, when he takes it inside, he realizes how disgusting it is, and it even starts to scare him, with a pair of underpants crawling out of the gum and saying in a demonic voice, "You're not Patrick!" First, SpongeBob tries to throw it away, but Patrick catches him in doing so, and he says that he was dressing it up with the garbage can. Later, SpongeBob tries to bury Gummy, but Patrick catches him again, and he says that he dug the hole to be able to look at Gummy from below. Patrick insists that it must be displayed properly, and places it above SpongeBob's doorway. SpongeBob next tries to dispose of it in the night, and in the process frees several people who were literally trapped inside it. He tries to pull Gummy off of his house, and fails, destroying the ball and getting stuck to it in the process.

The next day, Sandy visits SpongeBob's house to see it covered in the sticky remains of Gummy, with SpongeBob hanging above his doorway. She tries to free him by lassoing a piece of Gummy onto a passing truck, which is almost able to pull it away, but is ultimately pulled in by it, hitting SpongeBob's house and causing the gum to explode, completely covering the houses of SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick, and trapping Squidward and Sandy as well. Patrick then appears, and SpongeBob tells him he can have Gummy back. Patrick then wolfs down all of the gum making Patrick super-morbidly obese, freeing SpongeBob, his friends and their houses. However, he then hiccups a massive bubble, which explodes and covers the whole town in gum.

Jjs: If there was a single episode in post-movie history I'm apathetic towards, it'd probably be this one. Honestly, out of all the show's "gross out episodes", I've never really had anything against this one. Really, I just wouldn't care if this episode made the list or not, and my life would be unchanged. I can see why people might find it unfunny and gross however. The plot is a bit out there and ridiculous, and yeah, Gummy might be disturbing to some. But I dunno, this one just doesn't bug me. Apathy is all I feel from it more than anything else. That being said, I've invited Fa Corduroy over here to chime in his two cents, as he was one of the users to put this on his list.

Fa: I really have a despising for gross episodes; they serve no purpose except to be as flat out disgusting as it can be and the concept of a giant wadded up ball of gum ("Gummy") is pretty darn gross. The very image of it conjures of bad memories of sidewalk gum and other dirt, trashy grit and grime. The plot of the episode is that SpongeBob gets a giant wadded up gum from Patrick for best friends day and upon realizing it's disgustingness tries to get rid of it, failing worse and worse each time (also SpongeBob making a robot butler for Patrick but being embarrassed by it is a little too dumb for my tastes.) By the end of the episode, the gum has become a living breathing creature that has captured the neighbors. If the thought of people living inside of a monster of gum doesn't gross you out, then well you have a stronger stomach than me. :P But really, the biggest sin of this episode is just how boring it is. I couldn't tell you one moment I even so much as chuckled at a joke. Jjs told me that he was apathetic to this episode, and upon rewatching, I would say I am disgusted AND apathetic now by it.

47 (2) / 46. Funny Pants

HMp7et2.jpg?1  

47 points. 3 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #5 - @Trophy )

One morning in Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob tells Squidward it's time for work, and says "another day another dollar" but Squidward says "more like another nickel," which makes SpongeBob laugh uncontrollably. Squidward then goes through a whole day at work with SpongeBob laughing, and even at night. The next day at work, after SpongeBob told the "nickel joke" to the customers, Squidward has decided he has had enough of SpongeBob's incessant laughter. He then sees SpongeBob hurting himself when he laughs, so he tricks him into believing that SpongeBob has a laugh-related illness. According to the made-up disease, if SpongeBob laughs one more time in the next 24 hours, his laugh box will explode and he will never laugh or giggle again.

For the rest of the day, SpongeBob fights every single urge to chuckle. First, he sees Patrick trip over a banana peel several times, and runs away. Next, he sees that whoopee cushions are all over the town. Last, he sees a pie truck in an accident and some of the pie land on some fish. In a drastic measure, he buries himself to never be interrupted by a joke during the night. The next morning, SpongeBob discovers that he has completely lost the ability to laugh. He tells Patrick that he has lost his laugh, but when Patrick looks inside SpongeBob and lights a match, he runs around in circles. Later, SpongeBob goes to the Krusty Krab to tell Mr. Krabs that he has lost his laugh. Mr. Krabs says that money always makes him laugh, but SpongeBob doesn't feel a tickle. Next, SpongeBob consults Sandy. Sandy gives SpongeBob books about laughter. SpongeBob reads the books, but still doesn't have any effect on his laugh box.

Now utterly grief-stricken, all SpongeBob can do is cry his eyes out, meaning more noise than ever. Feeling guilty but still wanting peace and quiet, Squidward finally confesses to the sad SpongeBob, as the weeping has been more annoying than SpongeBob's giggles and after Squidward admits everything, SpongeBob laughs to see it has been a good joke and Squidward joins in the laughter. When Squidward says "You even fell for the thermometer in the boiling oil routine!" SpongeBob immediately stops laughing, and goes inside his house. When Squidward laughs too much, he is taken to the hospital. Later, it is revealed that Squidward has lost his laugh and Purple Doctorfish points out that someone has given him half of their laugh box. It isn't Patrick, Sandy or Mr. Krabs; it was SpongeBob. Squidward starts to laugh like SpongeBob and runs out of the building. SpongeBob then says "Ah, there he goes off to share his laugh with the world," followed by his laughter.

Jjs: Only 3 lists this year, huh? I remember when this episode was considered one of the worst of Season 4. Yet, as years go by, it seems like the hate for this one has slowly been dying off, as it keeps getting lower and lower on these lists. Maybe people flat out forgot it existed, or just don't care about as much. And I'm probably in the latter. With that being said, this didn't make my list, but I'm still not a big fan of it. SpongeBob's laughing and later crying really can get annoying, and the humor really feels forced ("Another day, another nickel!" yeah no). Really, the only scene that I found even somewhat remotely close to amusing was the whoopee cushion and pie truck collision. Otherwise, I just find it meh. A few years ago I didn't like it, now I just find it meh, nothing more, nothing less. I don't have a problem with it being this low, even though I was expecting it to get higher than this.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 7

Rodeo Daze - Yeah, I can see hatrid for this episode but I personally thought it was just meh. It wasn't anything that I despised completely, it was just boring but I did like Plankton's cameo and Rodeo song was somewhat decent to me.

The Gift of Gum - I kind of like this one. Tbh the only scene that I find really gross is the underwear joke, which is not only disgusting but completely random. rest of the episode was fine to me.

Funny Pants - Eh, this wasn't as annoying as people were saying. Still not a good episode but I can see the hatrid.

Rodeo Daze - You already know why. "Rodeo Daze" is such an appropriate title because of how much the story procrastinated. This was my #12.

The Gift of Gum - While I didn't really care if it made the list or not, it's probably one of my least favorite episodes this season because of how excessively gross the gum is and not providing a proper ending due to SpongeBob being interrupted before he can courteously deny Patrick's disgusting gift, which shifts the moral. Other than that it's fine, I enjoyed some of the shenanigans SpongeBob had to go through to get rid of the monstrosity, like attempting to bulldoze it into a hole or breaking in from the inside to free people trapped in there.

Funny Pants - At this point I can barely remember the episode exists. I guess it's hatred just waned down due to a combination of hype fatigue and tropes like "SpongeBob crying" being a bigger fault in later episodes like "A Day Without Tears" and the like.

My List thus far:

12. Rodeo Daze (#48)

• Like 1

#48 - Crappy ending, but forgivable nevertheless.
#47(1) - Kinda gross, but completely inoffensive.
#47(2) - It's an okay episode. I never found his crying that annoying unlike a few others.

48 - It's really boring and the execution is botched, but I somewhat found worse in the season

Both 47 - I found both to be okay, not offensive for me. But I can understand why someone wouldn't like them

No episode made my list so far.