• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2016 Edition

Jjs Goodman

Atlantis SquarePantis - More explained well for me why the special was disappointing. I still don't think it's bad but there were some good stuff here and there. Lets never talk about that Patchy segment tho (D) 

Pineapple Fever - Another guilty pleasure to me. It's just so bad so funny to me.

A Day Without Tears - Read my commentary :funny: 

Good Neighbours - I always liked this one. Yeah Squidward did lose his sundays but still it was a fun time for me.

I'm actually SURPRISED that I wasn't the person who voted "Atlantis Squarepantis" OR "Good Neighbors" the highest this time around. Neither of them are good episodes though, and they deserve to be on the list. The same goes for "A Day Without Tears."

Obviously since you know about my thoughts on Atlantis SquarePantis, I'll skip it. Pineapple Fever made my list right at the bottom (#25), but even then it's rather interchangeable with similar episodes like House Fancy, Cephalopod Lodge, That Sinking Feeling, Tentacle-Vision and Boating Buddies (which'd probably be 26-30). Same old flaws you'd get in a mid-run STP, excessive, unjust torment of Squidward, SpongeBob and Patrick being more like annoying robots than children, and wasted opportunities for jokes by how long they drag. A Day Without Tears, bleh, predictable choice that I agree with the placement of. Good Neighbors is something I'm warming up to. The ending sucked and it set the general template of later episodes, but it's not so extreme with it's character portrayals, and I can definitely see the cartoonishness and innocence of the jokes.

My list thus far:

25. Pineapple Fever (#32)

24. Summer Job (#37)

21. Are You Happy Now? (#36)

14. The Card (#42)

12. Rodeo Daze (#48)

9. Atlantis SquarePantis (#34)

Atlantis SquarePantis - Well, y'know... though, in retrospect, I feel like I'm more disappointed than disgusted at this episode. Cause, it's not really, objectively the worst episode, but it is by far the show's greatest failure, in terms of squandered opportunity. So much potential, and what do they come up with? A freaking musical. I will never forgive those who thought of it. 

Pineapple Fever - The most annoying. The most pointless. One of the least entertaining. It's just a train wreck from start to finish. A boring one at that, if it's even possible.

A Day Without Tears - Weak, pointless, but not that bad. Though that telephone call between Pat and SpongeBob in the middle of the episode is top cringe. 

Good Neighbors - I think, in retrospect, it's a little underrated. It is irritating, but there are some parts which are genuinely funny. Squidward's outrage, which includes him stomping on fezzes is absolutely hilarious, and though SpongeBob and Patrick are abnormaly (at least at the time) thick, they are still well-intentioned.

Edited by jjsthekid

34. Even without the disappointment, the episode is still the same story being told repeatedly with character changes.

33. It's just another bad episode that tortures Squidward. It isn't notable to me anymore, it's just bad.

32. Annoying, but there are worse episodes. Overall, this is a good spot.

31. A good spot for this episode, too. I used to despise it, now it's just... well, just read my thoughts on 33.

I have a ton of upcoming commentary spots open if anyone is interested.

30. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

mOcaStC.jpg 

79 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #6 - @CyanideFishbone )

Squidward exits his house, saying "Another beautiful Sunday." He goes down the street, dancing, but steps on some gum and falls. He frantically tries to get it loose. When he finally does, the gum is tossed aside. Officer John sees the gum and inspects it. He then walks over to Squidward, thinking he littered, and asks Squidward about the gum, to which Squidward replies, "I just stepped in it." Officer John says "Boy, you sure did," and gives him a ticket, sentencing him to community service. A police officer, accusing Squidward of littering. It then cuts to Squidward picking up trash (with some people giving him their trash), then Squilliam comes along and brags about the statue that was made of him just for cleaning up Bikini Bottom in only one week, to which Squidward replies, "I can clean it up in one day!" Squilliam then gets out a tissue and blows his nose on it, and says "Here, this should get you started.," and drops it on the ground. Officer John comes along, sees the tissue, and thinks Squidward dropped it. He then gives Squidward another ticket.

When Squidward looks for place to put his trash, he sees that all the cans and dumpsters are full, so he "borrows" a kid's toy wagon. Mable sees Squidward with the trash and she tells everyone it's Trash Day, soon the trash in the wagon becomes a trash mountain. SpongeBob comes out of one of the garbage bags and offers Squidward to help him when he discovers the life cycle of a Krabby Patty (one that was thrown out). Squidward says "He'd rather be beaten to a pulp," then the boy and his mother appear, with the boy telling his mother to beat Squidward to a pulp. Squidward is beaten and covered in trash. Officer John thinks Squidward made the mess and gives him another ticket. Squidward then accepts SpongeBob's offer and SpongeBob gets rid of all the trash. Squidward goes home and relaxes, until he realizes his house is made of garbage. He runs outside and sees that the garbage was made into a replica of Squidward's house. Officer John gives Squidward two tickets (one for the garbage house and one for the first ticket falling on the ground). Squidward gets so angry, his nerves spell out "I am angry." SpongeBob asks why and Squidward finds out his house is on top of the replica because the dump is closed. SpongeBob took it to his house by sucking the garbage onto his body. When SpongeBob talked, garbage came out of his mouth, leading Officer John to give Squidward another ticket.

Squidward puts the trash-filled SpongeBob in SpongeBob's own bin (giving Squidward another ticket for putting his trash in someone else's rubbish bin). SpongeBob finds that the reason why Squidward wants to get rid of the trash is to get a statue of himself. SpongeBob makes a statue of Squidward made of the garbage. Squilliam says the statue is just like Squidward, having the stench of failure. The horrible stench melts Squilliam's statue, ruining it, and Squilliam surprisingly gets a ticket from Officer John. Before the end of the episode, Officer John gives both SpongeBob and Squidward tickets for the statue made of garbage.

Jjs: This made my list, albeit relatively low at #23. The episode is just one unfunny gag over and over. Repetition isn't a crime, but it should be done in reason, and quite frankly, Squidward getting a ticket wasn't funny the first time it happened. And once again, Squilliam returns for yet another wasted role. SpongeBob was also pretty annoying, so there's that too. Not one I hate as much as others, but I still definitely don't like it and I'm fine with its placement right here.

More: Hm... let's see. The only reason this thing's on the list is due to its unfortunate partnership with what's likely #1. It didn't make my list, but it follows the super standard idea of "Let's torture Squidward in any way possible" without actually thinking about good jokes that it can surround the torment with. The episode's the same joke. Someone else litters... cop comes... he gives a ticket to Squidward without reason. It gets old quickly. Not much else to say tbh. Also Squilliam's here for another act of meager fan service... uh, yay. I never liked the guy. He's a one-sided character who only existed to be a brattier Squidward in order to center the protagonist. and has little to offer himself, don't get the hype. Also the garbage house was... ew.

29. Slide Whistle Stooges

23IGWi0.jpg?1 

80 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #5 - @Wumbo )

SpongeBob and Patrick get new slide whistles and keep playing them, much to the annoyance of Squidward. He becomes increasingly annoyed as they use the slide whistles as sound effects for everything he does. He eventually has enough of it and flees his house. SpongeBob and Patrick follow him, thinking he is finally playing with them and ignoring his cries to leave him alone. He snaps and grabs SpongeBob's slide whistle and uses it on them. SpongeBob says he has an equally better ear for music and soon buys one himself. Squidward then plays it around town: first, he scares Dennis out of his wits as Dennis thinks he iks being annoyed by ghosts and Squidward impersonates a baby and scares Sally out of her wits, making her see Squidward as a "baby assaulter," resulting in the annoyance of a lot of people.

Soon, they form an angry mob and end on the warpath against Squidward. Squidward manages to take control over a gasoline tanker truck, destroys the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab, jumps over a row of boats through a ring of fire, and drives away from the mob. Squidward says he does not want to stop but then SpongeBob and Patrick (driving a boat) ask if he is sure he does not want to stop. Then Squidward sees that SpongeBob was trying to warn him that a cliff was ahead but there is nothing Squidward can do about it now. SpongeBob and Patrick stop just in time but the gasoline tanker truck keeps going and falls off the cliff, causing it to explode, much to the joy of the town as they see that Squidward is finally stopped. At the hospital, the whistle gets stuck in his throat and since they do not have the technology to remove it, they just left it there. SpongeBob and Patrick then play around the hospital with the whistles.

Jjs: Speaking of repetitive, here's another annoying repetitive episode that made my list. SpongeBob and Patrick playing with slide whistles does not equal comedy gold. The whole ending was also just...what. I'd have more to say, but I really don't know what else to say without coming off as repetitive as the actual episode itself.

Fa: Man, the sad thing about this episode for me is that really the slide whistle thing feels like a minute long gag that got extended to an entire episode. Not even a minute in it got old for me and they somehow made this last a long repetitive eleven minutes. The first five minutes was essentially non-stop Squid abuse and the last six were trying to make Squidward a villain. The only major joke I found really amusing at all was the convenience store doors, but after that pretty predictable. Also, probably just me, but the scenes where the policeman was getting mauled by the worms and Squidward having the slide whistle stuck in his throat and being unable to speak outside of the whistle was just off-putting for me. I wouldn't say it was gross or inappropriate, but it felt like it didn't really belong in SpongeBob and it dampened it even further for me. It's not an absolutely awful and unredeemable episode for me, but it's incredibly dull and repetitive.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2

KBBB isn't so bad to me. I did like how SpongeBob wanted to help Squidward and Squilliam getting a ticket made me smile. Otherwise meh.

I liked first minutes of SWS, I didn't get annoyed much. It was amusing until the last 3 minutes were disasters.

You know my thoughts on both. Talked about the former here, the latter (#19) last year.

25. Pineapple Fever (#32)

24. Summer Job (#37)

21. Are You Happy Now? (#36)

19. Slide Whistle Stooges (#29)

14. The Card (#42)

12. Rodeo Daze (#48)

9. Atlantis SquarePantis (#34)

Atlantis Squarepantis - Jjs, quit nailing my thoughts on these episodes at god-tier level. (D) I also lost interest in defending in this episode along with Truth or Square when I realized that while neither of them are terrible...people had every right to at least call them massive letdowns because despite being specials...they're nothing special.

Pineapple Fever - Nuggets is right, this is one of the best Season 6 episodes...by default. At least it has some "so stupid, it's amusing" appeal despite some marks of poor writing.

A Day Without Tears - Always had mixed feelings about it. One of those "so-so executions of an interesting idea" episodes.

Good Neighbors - I used to like this one, but grew to find it relatively dull. Far from a monstrosity though.

Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful - I can't really say what I said about this episode in last year's edition better...so I'll add that it's also frustratingly padded and dragged out in addition to being repetitive.

Slide Whistle Stooges - It's an episode that I don't care about. If Tom Kenny likes it, cool. If a lot of fans hate it, cool. If I just don't care about it, whatever.

• Like 1

28. Truth or Square?

FJhK7W2.png?1 

87 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: 2 #7's - @SpongeOddFan & @Clappy )

Patchy the Pirate is waiting for SpongeBob to show up at the TV Extravaganza, with no reply, he thinks back to all of the time SpongeBob gave him no reply, so he goes to find SpongeBob, and ride his boat to Bikini Atoll. SpongeBob wakes up in the morning, with the help of many alarm clocks lined up to the foghorn clock, only to blow out more clocks, this wakes SpongeBob up. He then reveals that it is the eleventy-seven year anniversary since Mr. Krabs opened the Krusty Krab. He then remembered the first time he ate a Krabby Patty, and he apparently loved it, even though he was not born yet when he had it. He prepares himself then he rushes the way of the restaurant when he bumps into other fish in line to get to the restaurant, and he knows that he cannot be late for this, so he jumps over the crowd's heads. SpongeBob arrives at the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs reminds them to keep a close eye on all of the doors, and entrances, including the air vents, to make sure that Plankton does not sneak in. Meanwhile, Plankton was talking to his computer wife about how he was a failure for 50 years of business, so he decides that he would sneak in while the Employees and Mr. Krabs were distracted by the festivities. After Patchy ran off, P!nk and the other celebrities were waiting for their turn in the extravaganza, so they sang a song titled, We've Got Scurvy.

Mr. Krabs then gives SpongeBob the ability to decorate. Squidward reminds Mr. Krabs what had happened the other time SpongeBob got to decorate, but this time he was going to use the resources that he already had in the restaurant, and made it look great, they then went to see the ice sculpture that he had made for the Krabby Patty, but the door locks them in the freezer, so they hire Patrick Star, who had been hired for Security, were locked in the freezer, so they climbed into the duct system to escape, and make their way through a giant maze of air ducts. Mr. Krabs found a wrapper, from an older Patty. Mr. Krabs then had a flashback from the old Krusty Krab commercial. SpongeBob and the gang then go into another room, and it has many cameras, and they saw that SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward's houses were on camera. Mr. Krabs doesn't know what to say, but there is also two men recording them at that very minute. Meanwhile, Plankton was having trouble trying to find the Krabby Patty Formula, and eventually fell right to the duct the gang was in, while Mr. Krabs had split up to find another way. Patchy is almost to Bikini Bottom when he is eaten by a whale. SpongeBob then remembers the time that Mr. Krabs told him the formula, and Plankton failed to find out what it is because the Mr. Krabs in the flashback threw Plankton down an air duct.

Then they eventually came to the point where SpongeBob was being remembered by Squidward, the times before he moved in and the day that it happened. Mr. Krab's wallet was going crazy about all of the loose change, so Mr. Krabs lets it go to get some money, only to be picked up by an unsuspecting man. They failed an attempt to call Sandy on a radio transmitter to come and rescue them when Patrick destroys it and all of Bikini Bottom came to the play. SpongeBob then remembered a play where he and Sandy are married. Now Patchy the Pirate was stuck in the belly of a whale, and he played the Scenes of SpongeBob before it aired (including the Squidward, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs theme songs), his camera goes haywire and the whale sneezes him out, right back into the studio, where he is knocked unconscious and he believed he was meeting SpongeBob, he then was knocked out again, and it was just a dream, the celebrities in the studio then told him he can see SpongeBob everywhere, and he is knocked unconscious again.

At this point, SpongeBob used all of the gang as a battering ram, and got them out, only to discover that all of the customers were gone, and then SpongeBob sang the Krusty Krabs song "Oh, Krusty Krab," which brought all of the customers back and they started singing in a circle, and then the Krusty Krab was in business, and everyone was happy. Plankton, on the other hand, was discovered by Mr. Krabs and was blown into a balloon after he pleads with him not to launch him. The episode ends with SpongeBob wishing the Restaurant a happy 'eleventy seventh' anniversary.

Jjs: Ah, here we go. Much like Atlantis SquarePantis, I also used to defend this tv movie and consider it one of the best Season 6 episodes. And just like it, this has probably some of the most split opinions in all of the SpongeBob fandom. And just like Atlantis... I'm also not really willing to defend this one much anymore either. In fact, upon rewatch not too long ago, this honestly has not aged well. It's not terrible. But man. This is it for the 10th anniversary special? I think a comment from Nuggets last year said it best: It's just a bottle episode. And that's not a bad idea, they can work. The problem is... Why should we care about any of the flashbacks? Sandy and SpongeBob get married! But it's a play lol! SpongeBob has a flashback to how he moved in! Cool, I guess. And random flashbacks to the old Krusty Krab days, cool...I guess? They reveal the secret formula!...and then they don't! In the grand scheme of things, none of the flashbacks they tell really matter at all or amount to anything. I don't even know if you can call them fanservice, because really, they just seem to waste more time in a tv movie that's kind of wasting time as it is. And woo hoo, it's another Plankton steals the formula special. I mean, I guess it makes sense for the 10th anniversary, along with the fact of it taking place at the Krusty Krab. It is important to the show. The problem is, I just don't really feel anything from it. Fanservice without any meaning behind it doesn't amount to anything. I don't know. It's still not bad, at least for me. There's some funny gags. But like More says below, the fact it's the 10th anniversary special... this was it? A bottle tv movie basically. As for the Patchy subplot, yeah, that was pretty painful and really superfluous, although I still find Atlantis's Patchy one worse. Overall, Truth or Square is a middle of the road episode to me. I don't dislike it really despite what seems like a rant, but it just feels like it could've been so much more like Atlantis. Four of our main characters get trapped in a vent and share random flashbacks, while Plankton tries to steal the formula again. That's basically it in a nutshell. If I can only sum up the show's big 10th anniversary tv movie special in a sentence, that's...not really good, like, at all.

More: ...and this was the episode that squandered even more potential than it's older cousin. To be honest, I kinda like this episode on the whole.  It actually does a pretty good job at capturing the essence of SpongeBob to give a relaxed and fun atmosphere, with an interesting hook of flashbacks to top it off. Plenty of stylistic changes were made to complement the atmosphere, from taking us back to the 60's for old commercials to having some pretty decent jokes involving chasing the formula, and even SpongeBob and Sandy's marriage was fairly satisfying in how fuzzy it felt. However... this is a tenth anniversary special... and that was it? The episode's passable, but the fact that I forget it exists most of the time takes a lot away from the specialness of it. If you're gonna do a calming clip show where the characters imagine the past, why not call back to past episodes? If you're gonna change the status quo so drastically with huge, long-awaited events like the formula and Spandy, why squander it with gags? Why would you taint the episode with the laziest and most disrespectful live-action I've seen in a TV show with Patchy? I'm fine with a feel-good bottle episode for a reminder of the show's legacy, but this carries nothing at all immediately after watching. It's so specifically trying to be a big event with a three-day marathon, loads of merchandise, and huge hype to back it up... and it's at best average? A C+? A 5/10? It's guaranteeing it's disappointment, really. And that's too bad. Could've been so much more. :( 

27. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?

6OyTRki.jpg?1 

88 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - @jjsthekid )

SpongeBob wakes up on a normal day, as usual. He looks out his window and sees the mailman riding by on his bike. He says "Hi" to the mailman. This causes the mailman to get distracted and a truck crashes into him. After that, SpongeBob wants to spend time with his friends; however, he ends up upsetting them. He accidentally breaks Gary's shell, crushes Patrick's cake, disturbs Squidward's beauty sleep, destroys Sandy's robot, and deep fries Mr. Krabs' money (and himself). SpongeBob decides to leave Bikini Bottom, as all his friends hate him (and cruelly calling him "idiot boy"). As he leaves, he is scared by mysterious figures in the shadows. While he runs from the creatures, he falls off a cliff and bumps his head, and he gets a lump, and then his bundle hits him on his head knocking him unconscious. Back in Bikini Bottom, Patrick and Sandy (who had come over to apologize to SpongeBob from the other day) find Gary who is extremely huge and overweight and a note from SpongeBob, explaining that he has run away. Everybody is upset and guilty that SpongeBob is gone, with the obvious exception of Squidward, who is delighted.

Meanwhile, SpongeBob wakes up with amnesia. A couple of fish give him a new name, "CheeseHead BrownPants," so that they can steal his possessions and take advantage of his amnesia. All SpongeBob has left is a bottle of bubble soap. He wanders around until he ends up in New Kelp City where he attempts to get a job. Each time he gets a job he uses his bubble blowing ability to help him, but this strikes fear into all the residents of the city. This activity attracts the attention of the Bubble Poppin' Boys and their leader, Trevor, who have scared the city into never blowing bubbles ever again. SpongeBob uses his ability to get rid of the gang and is rewarded by getting the position of mayor of New Kelp City.

Back in Bikini Bottom, Mr. Krabs is hoping for the return of SpongeBob so he can prepare his station, while Patrick and Sandy want their friend back. Squidward didn't know until Mr. Krabs offers him a reward of a Fabergé egg. He chooses his love of art over his hatred of SpongeBob and the trio see a newspaper stand showing news of SpongeBob's position as mayor, but when they go to New Kelp City to retrieve him behind Squidward's back, he can't remember them. They then manage to kidnap SpongeBob and return him to The Krusty Krab, but he wants to return to New Kelp City. Squidward, who didn't know again if SpongeBob stays or not slips on a greasy spatula and accidentally throws his egg onto SpongeBob's head. The impact gives SpongeBob his memory back, and Mr. Krabs, Sandy, and Patrick apologize for running him out of town. But even so, SpongeBob still wants to return to his position as mayor, because he feels bubble blowing needs to be commonplace in New Kelp City society. At that moment a news report comes on the TV saying that the bubbles in New Kelp City are causing mayhem, and he is being threatened by a thug. Upon hearing this, SpongeBob has second thoughts about going back to New Kelp City, and decides to stay in Bikini Bottom till he's dead. And then finally, Squidward opens his head and he throws his brain in a trash bin.

Jjs: Yup, a year later and still my most hated episode. I totally get why people might not care about this one at all, completely forget it existed (hehe forget), or just find some redeeming values to it. That's okay. But for me, it just pisses me off so much. Before you hear from WhoBob, I'll just repost my rant from last year's list on why this one bugs me so much, because I really don't have anything new to add I didn't bring up last year...

Nothing about this one worked for me at all. WhoBob is an accurate alternate name for it, because "Who" sums up this episode's confused direction and identity. I'll sum it up in a few key points:

1.) The Plot: A character having amnesia has to be the most cliche plot, EVER. Even ignoring that, I was having faith that SpongeBob, known for its creative stories, could make this work. When I first heard of the episode, I was kind of interested in a possible serious SpongeBob episode. Then I heard SpongeBob would visit a new location-That's kind of cool too. We could've gotten some cool emotional moments between characters, cool new scenery, some good jokes, etc.. And...we didn't get that at all. What we get instead is a very idiotic conflict ("IDIOT BOY"....What?), very unlikable characters, poor writing, cliches all over, and an overall wasted plot that felt it was done as soon as it started. 

2.) The Pacing: The pacing is also pretty terrible, I dare say it's worse than another special's (which we'll hopefully get to later on as well, which shares a lot of my problems with this special). The episode starts off rushed by using the Idiot Boy gag 5 times, drags in the middle, and then has a rushed ending. I can sum it up in one sentence: SpongeBob gets called an idiot boy (seriously...what), runs off, bumps his head, goes to a new city, becomes mayor, his friends rescue him, an egg hits his head, memory back, boom episode over. That ending may be up there in one of SpongeBob's worst endings, ever. It basically happened in the blink of an eye.

3.) SpongeBob Abuse: As I've said before, I'm not one to ever get upset if a character is abused. But here, for the whole 22 minutes it felt like they were just treating SpongeBob like crap for no real reason, and I didn't laugh once. I honestly just felt bad for him the whole time. And seriously, what the heck was with "IDIOT BOY"??? That was quite possibly one of the most rushed and dumbest conflicts in SpongeBob history, ever.

4.) The Characters: As I've said before, everyone is just really unlikable here, except SpongeBob himself. The whole "IDIOT BOY" stuff just made me want to punch the gang. Granted, they did try to find him, but even Squidward didn't care that much about finding him to begin with. The New Kelp City citizens are either all unfunny or unlikable as well. Also, way to waste Ray Liotta's guest spot. The bubble gang's role here is so rushed that I keep forgetting he voiced the leader.

5.) The Comedy: Even ignoring all that, this episode fails in the comedy department as well. I can't even think of one joke from this, other than "IDIOT BOY", which wasn't even funny the first time it happened.

6.) kEtvbqS.jpg <------ The less said about that, the better. (and that is honestly just a blip on my radar compared to everything else I've complained about)

This may not be an obvious choice, and I don't blame some people if they don't dislike this one as much, or completely forgot its existence, but this episode just irritated me in more ways than one, and was overall unpleasant to watch. The changed opening was something cool I guess, but that wasn't enough to save this train-wreck for me at all. I feel like this episode just had everything that people dislike about new SpongeBob episodes in one package, and I believe it was around when this special premiered people began to get more critical of the later seasons. Go away, WhoBob (the episode, not the user who you are about to hear from).

WhoBob: HAHA! I got commentary on the episode that I stole the first name from. :tvguy:  Actually, I had to choose WhoBob to show it's mix of Doctor Who and SpongeBob but you don't wanna hear that. You wanna hear my thoughts on jjs' least favorite episode of all-time. (smirk) I actually didn't include this episode on the list because I did laugh at a few of gags such as the random violent guy appearing at tv new news and I did enjoy Bubble Popping Boys. However, this is still pretty bad for many reasons. Lets start with that the pacing was really awkward at some parts. At the beginning things happened pretty quickly and near the end, the episode was completely rushed. I've read some comments about this and I have to agree that the episode could probably be better If it was 1 hour long. Maybe It could have been worse but here's why I think it could have worked as 1 hour special. The reason why I was bothered by the pacing is that at the beginning, everyone called SpongeBob "idiot boy" and suddenly SpongeBob wanted to leave Bikini Bottom and near the end, suddenly SpongeBob was brought back to Bikini Bottom and SpongeBob decided to stay. You can see that the setting up these moments were handled poorly and developing the moments were so rushed. But the pacing is not the worst thing about this, we'll get here. Lets continue with everyone calling SpongeBob "idiot boy" because he accidentally messed things up. Well yeah, I can see why SpongeBob's friends got upset when he was clumsy but calling us "idiot boy" was pretty mean and these moments happened so awkwardly random. And there's SpongeBob leaving. Come on, SpongeBob, you just had one bad day and you already decided to leave Bikini Bottom. Things happen in this episode so randomly and cruel that you can already see this will not end well. After SpongeBob lost his memory and found himself in Kelp City (I think that was the name), SpongeBob's friends felt bad for SpongeBob leaving and they decided to find him. That was nice for them so realize their mistakes, except Squidward acted like a douche about it. Well, we saw him cheering for him leaving in Nature Pants but at least those moments didn't hijack the plot and that was still season 1. When you look at season 2, you can see that he deeply cares about him. He didn't seem to give a shit about him in this episode at all, in fact he tried so hard for them to not find him until Mr. Krabs made a deal with him and the only reason why he wanted to find SpongeBob was to get the golden egg. That's how much flanderized Squidward was in this episode. He was without a doubt the worst aspect of this episode. Bubble Popping Boys were the only good thing about the story, they were pretty cool in it, tho I wish they had more screen time. Later SpongeBob stopped them, Kelp City was saved, SpongeBob became the president, his friends found him, they brought him back to Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob got his memory back, Kelp City hated SpongeBob after bubble popping became dangerous and he decided to stay in Bikini Bottom, Squidward threw his brain to trash can, THE END. So many things happened in this episode, yet they couldn't find a way to tie in those together so well. So many things happened randomly, quickly and mean-spirited. the story failed, what about jokes? Because If you fail to make a good story, at least you should be able to tell some good jokes. Except most of them were pretty unmemorable and mean-spirited jokes. Oh right, there was also that infamous close up gross face scene. Yeah, we all know it's disgusting. In conclusion, it sucked. I can definitely see why this is on people's lists. I kind of wish I included on my list. It definitely deserved to be on this list. And let's never speak that gross face again.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6

You all know my thoughts on Whobob. As for Truth or Square, I think it was fine but like More and jjs said it was such a waste of a 10th year anniversary. To be honest tho, a clip show would be a worse idea. I at least laughed at fake memories. Either way, it's stil disappointing for 10th year special.

26. Trenchbillies

PIVBuo0.jpg?1 

89 points. 8 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #3 - @Cha )

After four days, SpongeBob and Patrick are still silently waiting for the jellyfishes to move. Finally, they swim away, and the chase is on! The plan is for SpongeBob to take one side, and Patrick then takes the other. But, as both approach the jellyfish, they end up colliding, letting the jellyfish escape.

They continue chasing the jellyfish. They don't watch where they are going and accidentally fall off a cliff, falling way down to a county-like village and land on a port-a-potty. Many of the trenchbillies gang up on SpongeBob and Patrick and capture them with a rope. They take them to Ma Angler, who says that they are "awful purdy." Ma Angler orders them to an initiation. SpongeBob and Patrick question them and Ma Angler sentences them to a series of challenges, being: a banjo contest, "hootin' and hollerin'" contest, and a wrestling match. SpongeBob and Patrick win the first two competitions but decline to the wrestling match, claiming that "they don't like to wrestle." Ma Angler is surprised and asks them what they like to do for fun. SpongeBob claims that they like to jellyfish. They show the trenchbillies how to jellyfish and collide, once again. Ma Angler enjoys this. The trenchbillies laugh at them and call them dumb. Ma Angler certifies them as official honorary trenchbillies and gives them novelty teeth. 

SpongeBob gives a short speech and attempts to leave, however, they are stopped by a group of trenchbillies. One of the trenchbillies says that they have to take care of Ma Angler for the rest of their lives. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to let them leave but the trenchbillies won't let them.Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs and Squidward lightly chat, SpongeBob and Patrick burst through the door and the trenchbillies follow them. The trenchbillies destroy the Krusty Krab out of anger. Mr. Krabs nervously asks them for their orders, they all order something to eat. Mr. Krabs says that Ma Angler, who is eating a lot of Krabby Patties, will make Customer of the Week. One of the trenchbillies sees Mr. Krabs making "goo-goo eyes at the Ma Angler" and as the episode ends, Mr. Krabs is forced to get "hitched" (married) to Ma Angler.

Jjs: This made my list, right at #7. I still can't find anything to defend about this episode whatsoever. It's just unfunny from start to finish. It doesn't even feel like a SpongeBob episode. It feels like some weird Family Guy parody. I don't even care about the redneck stereotypes, my problem is it's just so unfunny it's unfunny. Like... why was this episode made. Maybe this type of plot would work in Ren & Stimpy, but here it comes off really bad. This whole episode comes off like a bad fanfiction parody, and it's just really not interesting to watch in addition to the bad comedy. 

Fred: I thought all of the Legends of Bikini Bottom episodes were weak, but this one is definitely one of the weakest out of the six. I don't think it's the worst out of the whole series (spoiley spoilers), but it's the #3 worst in the whole miniseries. The episode is completely dull and the hillbilly references got pretty annoying. It kinda reminds me of Squidbillies in a way. The ending where Mr. Krabs and Ma Angler got hitched was pretty random and came out of the blue. I wouldn't recommend watching it really. Oh and since I can't resist the reference.

25. Pet Sitter Pat

1MPkhg6.jpg 

95 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #3 - @More )

SpongeBob gets an invitation Grandma SquarePants' birthday party, so he decides to go. But then, SpongeBob remembers that he needs to take care of Gary. First, he asks Squidward to watch Gary, but he refused because Gary ate his kelp garden. Later on, SpongeBob asks his best friend Patrick if he can take care of Gary while he is gone, and Patrick accepts. While SpongeBob is at his grandmother's house, he gets distracting visions about bad things happening to Patrick and Gary. Once SpongeBob is anxious enough, he calls home numerous amounts of times to check and see how the two are doing. A couple of times, Gary was being put in mortal danger by Patrick, but SpongeBob "thought" they were fine [laughing and having fun.] Later, Patrick attempts to burn Gary alive with a flamethrower, but the next time SpongeBob calls, they are actually having fun, thanks to a flood, but SpongeBob mistakes them for being in "danger." SpongeBob quickly ends his grandmother's birthday and rushes home to see what the fuss is about, so he arrives home after a long, tiring run and  sees that his house is destroyed and filled with water when he opens the door. He walks upstairs to the sound of Gary's meowing and sees Gary reading "Snail Stories" to Patrick. SpongeBob said how nice it was for Gary reading Patrick the book but Patrick said he thought the book was actually called "Meow, meow."

Jjs: Honestly, I feel like this episode only gets hated on because of you-know-who giving his scathing rant about it. Up until that rant, nobody really cared about or acknowledged this episode. When I first saw it in 2011, to me, it was just a "mediocre episode that happened", and I pretty much forgot about it as Season 8 continued. Now, don't get me wrong. I can totally see why people would hate this. I just feel the hate is a bit overblown due to the aforementioned fact, but whatever. There is a lot to not like about this one. Patrick is pretty annoying, the jokes are kind of awkward, and really weird animation, too. Also, trying to do a sub-plot in SpongeBob? Yeah, that doesn't really work, as much as I like seeing SpongeBob's grandma again. But I don't know. It never caused me rage or immense hatred. To this day, I just still find it a weaker Season 8 episode, nothing more, nothing less. That being said, More will give a more in-depth comment on it, being the one with the highest ranking.

More: Oh yes, it's that episode. Laid in the grass for years until you-know-who hastily insulted the writer for making it... wait this was my third? Yeah to be completely honest, I would've forgot this episode not for him. And in a way, I really want to like this. Compared to "A Pal for Gary" this is an improvement across the board, completely, fixing the major issue of SpongeBob's ignorance and nastiness to the point of  giving a more innocent and caring portrayal than usual, as well as giving better plot structure and having lots of well-implemented dark humor from start to finish. No seriously. The jokes are amazing. From outlandish stunts like SponggeBob's delusions and the house flooding, to some unpredictable but well-timed bursts of energy when Patrick thought SpongeBob was going off the grid, or even joking about salt or firing a flamethrower at Gary as a clever trick to bathe him... this is funny stuff.

The thing about these jokes is that by the end I can reflect on these and realize that it's still Patrick starving, drowning, and almost burning Gary, and having good timing doesn't make that any less sadistic. Like what the ::dolphin noise:: Patrick? Do you have any conscience here? At least the prior episode could be considered over-the-top and harmless, here it's just played-up, realistic pet abuse, and it leaves a lot of scary implications. And that's not even including how monstrous Patrick's become here and how little the ending makes sense, not even hinting that Patrick did anything to deserve Gary's respect again without consequence. I'm just hoping the show doesn't sink to the level of the implications being stronger than the jokes again, as it's rare, and rather sad, that such good humor can't cover up an otherwise awful episode.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6